PDA

View Full Version : My Samsung Galaxy S3 (yes it's old) is acting wonky

Pike
03-25-2016, 08:43 PM
So here's the deal: anytime I'm calling a robot voice and it wants me to input a number (like an account number or something) and I pull up the keypad, things get weird. Specifically, if I try to punch in a number then half the time the screen blanks out and doesn't let me put any numbers in. This is a huge nuisance because then I get the robot voice saying "I'm sorry, please try again" a million times.

This doesn't happen if I'm calling someone to begin with - only if I'm already in a call.

What's the deal? Is there some sort of setting I'm missing? Or is my phone just old?

Using: Android 4.4.2

CimminyCricket
03-25-2016, 09:03 PM
Could be two things that I know of: 1) screen time out 2) light sensor acting weird

The issue you're having is most likely related to the light sensor. When did this start happening?

Pike
03-25-2016, 09:20 PM
It's been happening for a while. Maybe about a year? I just thought to make a thread of it now, haha.

Aulayna
03-25-2016, 09:32 PM
My S3 used to do that all the time, it was a setting that causes it to hide the screen during a call - so when you take it away from your face to press keys, the device seems to think your hand is your face so it hides the keypad again. You can turn it off somewhere, can't remember where though as I replaced my S3 last year.

Pike
03-25-2016, 09:33 PM
My S3 used to that all the time, it was a setting that causes it to hide the screen during a call - so when you take it away from your face to press keys, the device seems to think your hand is your face so it hides the keypad again. You can turn it off somewhere, can't remember where though as I replaced my S3 last year.

I found "Turn off screen during calls" and unchecked it, hopefully that helps. THANK YOU!

Mirage
03-26-2016, 02:09 PM
I was gonna say what Aulayna said. It attempts to save battery by turning off the screen when it thinks you've got it up to your ear, but it doesn't always get it right. There is probably a proximity sensor in the front. You could try finding out where it is and keep your fingers clear of it when you need to use the screen during a call.

This happens from time to time on my S4 as well.

Iceglow
03-30-2016, 07:23 AM
Sounds like the sensors in the screen acting up. Which is in effect simply a sign of the tech getting old and worn out. Sadly phone manufacturers build each handset to last between 12 and 18 months on average. Making it all 24 months of your contract without some major visible marks and some glitches to both hardware and software is almost impossible.

Time for an upgrade Pike. Don't worry though the newer Samsung handsets are pretty nifty.

Personally I'm not sure what to choose in the summer when my upgrade is due.