PDA

View Full Version : When I grow up

Night Fury
03-30-2016, 06:45 PM
What did you want to be when you grew up when you were a kiddo?

I wanted to be the Queen.

Legitimately.

But look at me now bitches!

http://cdn.unilad.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/got-game-of-thrones-29512419-500-281.gif

Also the first person who says Blitzball is getting a smack.

Freya
03-30-2016, 06:47 PM
I wanted to be a fairy for a while. A fairy who plays with animals.

Now I have lots of animals! But I super need more glitter in my life to get on that fairy thing.

Fynn
03-30-2016, 06:49 PM
Veterinarian! But lol, you had to be good at biology

Psychotic
03-30-2016, 06:56 PM
As a little kid a Police Officer and then later on a lawyer because I viewed it as "get paid lots of money to argue a lot". Then I did Law at A-Level and while I did really well in it, I learned how difficult it is to actually become one in the UK with a lot of competition for a very few places. It would've been interesting if I'd stuck at it but then I'm really happy with my life and job now so I don't really regret it.

Night Fury
03-30-2016, 06:56 PM
This thread is gold.

Zeldy
03-30-2016, 08:28 PM
Two fold: a video games tester or a rollarcoaster tester. I remember writing it in my year 3 profile exercise.

Then at Uni I suppose I aspired to venture to lecture sociology, but ended up in IT sales!

Iceglow
03-30-2016, 08:37 PM
I always wanted to be a fighter pilot.

Not even kidding.

I kinda saw fighter pilot as a stepping stone to possibly becomming an astronaut (I wasn't wrong either). I dreamed of punching through cloud cover in a single person fighter jet at supersonic speeds for years.

SammieBabe
03-30-2016, 09:00 PM
I switched between Evil Queen, dog breeder, and Marine Biologist. In my teens, I wanted to be a psychologist, but as I got older I realized it was more to try and fix myself than to fix others.
Never once did I think I'd be a hotel accountant.

Fox
03-30-2016, 09:17 PM
Someone who eats sweets everyday on the way to work and goes to bed late every night.

In terms of an occupation, I went through three phases:
- Fighter Pilot (but I was too scared to go on roller coasters at the time. This dream quickly died).
- Video game composer (I could make some nice music but lacked the technical ability to be a professional)
- Video game designer.

I actually do that last one! So I'm calling that a win.

Midgar Mist
03-30-2016, 09:40 PM
Im a child of 32 and i still dont know what i wanna be.....

A writer? (scoffs) :slump:

Colonel Angus
03-31-2016, 03:31 AM
When I was a wee lad, I wanted to be a police officer.
Later I wanted to make video games, but never knew what to do in school to do that.
Then I wanted to write about video games.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
03-31-2016, 03:32 AM
I wanted to be a falconer. I read My Side of the Mountain in first grade and decided that it was meant to be that I had my own bird of prey.

Now I work on helicopters for the Marines. So, I kinda made it?

FFNut
03-31-2016, 04:11 AM
Someone who eats sweets everyday on the way to work and goes to bed late every night.

In terms of an occupation, I went through three phases:
- Fighter Pilot (but I was too scared to go on roller coasters at the time. This dream quickly died).
- Video game composer (I could make some nice music but lacked the technical ability to be a professional)
- Video game designer.

I actually do that last one! So I'm calling that a win.

I wanted to be a fighter pilot too. I went as far as taking fly lessons but then hockey took over. Still got my licence years later and flew a little 4 seater Cessna last year.

Pheesh
03-31-2016, 04:38 AM
Musician, and I still want that.

As far as a wacky answer goes, for the longest time I wanted to be a marine biologist, oddly enough.

Hollycat
03-31-2016, 05:10 AM
I wanted to be a cyborg. Or a princess.

theundeadhero
03-31-2016, 05:21 AM
There hasn't been a single time in my life when I knew what I wanted to be. Maybe I'll figure it out one day.

Bri
03-31-2016, 05:41 AM
Thinking back to what I wanted to be growing up was writer and painter

Shiny
03-31-2016, 07:53 AM
A filmmaker (then I realized that was generic)
An actress
Then a television or radio personality
Then a painter
Then a music producer and songwriter
Then a comedian
Then screenwriter
Then a director
Then an editor
Then graphic artist
Then an actress again
Then a producer
Then a podcaster
Then a producer again
The producer/editor "preditor"

I mean I've had to widdle down some of those or just lost interest but most of those things I still want to do or am currently doing. It's strange because I literally cannot turn off my brain; like I have to write ideas down before bed. It's weird that I've gone a prolonged time without writing longer stuff but I'm also afraid because I end up not getting sleep because of it.

Sephex
03-31-2016, 08:34 AM
I wanted to get paid to play video games somehow.

My parents, while they didn't try to stop me from gaming, discouraged me relying on that for a living.

Now they know about Let's Players and people making money off of YouTube and the like, now they won't shut up about me magically making some content that will somehow rake in billions of dollars.

Now I'm the one that has to explain to them how it isn't that simple. Still, I like to mess with them and say things like, "IF ONLY YOU ENCOURAGED ME TO PLAY GAMES! I COULD HAVE BEEN ON GAME GRUMPS! I COULD HAVE BEEN JUSTIN TRON!!"

Vasher
03-31-2016, 08:45 AM
I nearly dug my way to China. Was going to prove their shit was "upside down". Made it about 3', figured I was half way. Gave up the effort, priorities. Had a gf to care for now, we were going to live inside a refrigerator box in the jungle. I was decent with my bow, we'd "live off the land". Had to "man up". The rationale of a 5 year old boy.

A filmmaker (then I realized that was generic)
An actress
Then a television or radio personality
Then a painter
Then a music producer and songwriter
Then a comedian
Then screenwriter
Then a director
Then an editor
Then graphic artist
Then an actress again
Then a producer
Then a podcaster
Then a producer again
The producer/editor "preditor"

I mean I've had to widdle down some of those or just lost interest but most of those things I still want to do or am currently doing. It's strange because I literally cannot turn off my brain; like I have to write ideas down before bed. It's weird that I've gone a prolonged time without writing longer stuff but I'm also afraid because I end up not getting sleep because of it.

Irwin Naturals "Power to Sleep PM" plus some ZzzQuil will work wonders, but not before you right those ideas down (make sure to act on the best of them).

Bubba
03-31-2016, 10:15 AM
I remember wanting to be Kit from Knight Rider.

To this day, I still dream of being ridden by David Hasselhoff.

The Summoner of Leviathan
04-01-2016, 05:15 AM
Was also super into cryptozoology and my cousin and I formulated a completely illogical plan to hunt down and expose the Loch Ness Monster as a real thing.

I was not alone on wanting to be a cryptozoologist?!

I also wanted to be a zoologist and work for WWF saving endangered animals from poaching. I also considered marine biologist, vet, etc...

escobert
04-02-2016, 01:17 AM
When I was little I wanted to be in the army.

Mr. Carnelian
04-04-2016, 12:55 AM
When I was very, very little, I wanted to be a penguin and/or a fairy. Now I'm a gay man who likes suits, so I basically got what I wanted.

Galuf
04-04-2016, 01:07 AM
used to want to be in the army.
before i realized i'm a total wimp and changed to what i like doing best, Games.

uh... hard to say how its going, probably bad. i get embarresed when people ask what i want to do. but thats a thing to not talk about now

Chemical
04-05-2016, 07:58 AM
I still don't know.

Galuf
04-05-2016, 10:36 AM
No ones been slapped yet :shifty:

Pumpkin
04-05-2016, 01:09 PM
Veterinarian, appraiser, chef, interior designer

qwertysaur
04-07-2016, 06:14 AM
I wanted to be a veterinarian. Then things happen. Now I'm a mathematician. Funny how that happens. :p

sinuosity
04-11-2016, 11:43 PM
When I was very young, I was fascinated by birds, so I wanted to become an ornithologist.

When I was a teenager, I was completely captivated by Gattaca, so I wanted to become a biochemical scientist. Well, that part came true, and I finished my doctorate last year. But I'm not sure it's still really what I want to do, so I'm considering doing medicine to become a doctor.

Continuously throughout my life I've wanted to write, but I've always lacked the discipline. I hope I will find it within myself to change that!

PS, some hilarious choices in this thread.

Slothy
04-11-2016, 11:50 PM
Ghostbuster.

Atheism kind of crushed that dream.

Laddy
04-19-2016, 09:59 AM
I wanted to make video games or be an actor! Then I realized both were unattainable and became a semi-professional nihilist.

sinuosity
04-20-2016, 01:51 AM
I wanted to make video games or be an actor! Then I realized both were unattainable and became a semi-professional nihilist.

Sounds like vast improvements all round tbh ;)

Galuf
04-20-2016, 02:06 AM
i want to be a Blitzball when i grow up.

Scotty_ffgamer
04-20-2016, 02:22 AM
My earliest memory of what I wanted to be when I grew up was astronomer. I was obsessed with space as a little kid (and still have a heavy interest in it). No one else knew what that word meant in first grade which is when I think I first announced that. All the way through middle school I was obsessed with reading about space and looking at stars and whatnot. I'd formulate my own "hypotheses" on what goes on inside black holes and whatnot, and I hoped that one day I could be someone that could prove some of them true somehow.

There were a few moments in elementary school where I also said I wanted to be a professional soccer player, but I think that was only when we had to draw what we wanted to be when we grew up. I just liked the colors on my soccer uniform back then.

Also when I was in upper elementary and lower middle school, I went through a phase where I wanted to also draw comic strips, but I really couldn't draw. Somewhere in there are started beginning to want to write too. Neither of those desires have gone away. Unfortunately, I still suck at drawing, but I'm a decent writer. I'd still like to try to do a web comic someday and hope my writing can help carry the bad art for one of my ideas. Most of my ideas would require me to collaborate with someone else to do the art though, I think.

Script writer for movies and games also appeared there at some point, but that was never very serious. I'd still love to do that, but I think my scripts I've drafted before have never been very good.

I've also wanted to act at some point. Again, it's something I'd still think would be fun, but I don't really have the gumption to try to get involved with that. The closest I'd probably potentially do is get involved with other friend's youtube channels.

Clo
05-05-2016, 04:39 PM
I wanted to be an artist. I realized how mediocre I was prematurely, and proceeded to be mediocre at other, new things.

noxious.sunshine
05-07-2016, 03:04 AM
A doctor, then a veterinarian, then a graphic/web designer and do something in music as well- like the recording industry.

sinuosity
05-07-2016, 03:38 AM
I wanted to be an artist. I realized how mediocre I was prematurely, and proceeded to be mediocre at other, new things.

me irl