PDA

View Full Version : Any good, light laptop models that will run FFXIV?

Fynn
04-01-2016, 04:53 PM
So my wife and I decided it's time we got her a new laptop. We need to buy it new because we want to pay in installments, so that we have some credit history and get a mortgage (complicated stuff, I know). So basically, we just don't want it to be too expensive, and we want it to run FFXIV so we can play it together. M

But here's the kicker - she needs it for work as well, and she's a teacher, so the lighter it is, so it's easy to carry, the better. Finding one that fills those criteria is pretty hard when I only have a passing knowledge of computers, so I'd appreciate any help! :D

Chibi Youkai
04-01-2016, 05:12 PM
What's your budget, and preferred screen size? That will determine a lot of what you can start looking at. If you want something that's ultra-portable, but still able to play stuff, it may be worth looking at the Microsoft SP4 (https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/devices/surface-pro-4). They're a little bit pricier, but you can pay for them on a plan, and they'll play SWTOR, so should play FFXIV as well. I'm sure the benchmarks are out there. I have an SP3 for work, and it's a bit loud, but fairly robust and versatile.

Edit: Found a benchmark for you. Youtube Benchmark (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pao2BDHvDqI)

Fynn
04-01-2016, 07:26 PM
Thanks! I'll look into it ;)

Spuuky
04-01-2016, 09:01 PM
The Surface is excessively overpriced.

I just bought my wife an Asus laptop but I wouldn't really recommend it for gaming because it's an ultrabook, so it's designed to be extremely portable. When it comes to laptops you can basically get 2 of these 3 - size/weight, performance, low cost. You can't get all 3. Which two are the priority?

Fynn
04-01-2016, 09:05 PM
Hm... This is a tough one. I'll come back to you after we discuss it more

Mirage
04-01-2016, 09:34 PM

I just bought my wife an Asus laptop but I wouldn't really recommend it for gaming because it's an ultrabook, so it's designed to be extremely portable. When it comes to laptops you can basically get 2 of these 3 - size/weight, performance, low cost. You can't get all 3. Which two are the priority?

Not really, but it's definitely not an ideal machine for games. Too little of the money goes towards graphical capabilities in them. Sure, the very best model might run ff14 somewhat decently, but for gaming performance, you can get something a lot cheaper if you don't need the high dpi, very small form factor, pre-calibrated colors, multitouch, pressure sensitive stylus or great battery life.

I love my surface but it's definitely not a gaming machine, except for light or old games, such as portal or civilization.

Night Fury
04-01-2016, 09:41 PM
I have a Toshiba Satellite and it's a pretty awesome all rounder, will run FFXIV and is portable!

Fynn
04-01-2016, 09:51 PM
I have a Toshiba Satellite and it's a pretty awesome all rounder, will run FFXIV and is portable!

Ooh, thanks! I'll see if I can find it at a decent price!

Zeldy
04-02-2016, 10:49 PM

Hewlett Packard are releasing a new hardware product in direct competiton of the surface book. It may even be out now in circulation, can't remember if I was shown a proto-type. Not sure how it's going to be priced either, can't remember!

http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Offer.aspx?p=c-premium-gateway could be this one.

My laptop is a Toshiba, most people I speak to absolutely love Dell. At work we use Dell thin clients.

If she's a teacher she should go for a product with a good screen for a better image, maybe something like one of these http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/List.aspx?sel=NTB&ctrl=f&fc_form_deta=1