PDA

View Full Version : Just Throw A Rock At 'Em

Forsaken Lover
04-04-2016, 03:51 AM
HEdg4glpCkg

So I realize FFVII's technological level is a bit sketchy to pin down but it's firmly in the 20th Century.

So why can Fort Condor thwart the mega corporation/empire that possesses planes and rocket launchers and super soldiers by using medieval weapons? Hell, aren't catapults and crossbows and "stoners" actually antique weapons by the medieval period?

I hate that damn minigame and never thought about it until my last run of VII because of that hatred. Its sheer nonsense just makes me hate it even more.

Bubba
04-04-2016, 08:34 AM
I never really minded it until my last playthrough when I was trying to get everything for 100%. I realised that if you go back and play it about 20 times then you get lots of different items. I was sick to death of it by the time I'd gotten everything. Thing is, I didn't get everything anyway because I didn't get the fucking Parasol from Golden Saucer.

Midgar Mist
04-04-2016, 05:06 PM
HEdg4glpCkg

So I realize FFVII's technological level is a bit sketchy to pin down but it's firmly in the 20th Century.

So why can Fort Condor thwart the mega corporation/empire that possesses planes and rocket launchers and super soldiers by using medieval weapons? Hell, aren't catapults and crossbows and "stoners" actually antique weapons by the medieval period?

I hate that damn minigame and never thought about it until my last run of VII because of that hatred. Its sheer nonsense just makes me hate it even more.

I agree, I hate that mini game

I avoid in on disc 1, preferring to pick up Yuffie and go straight to Junon.

Then when I'm forced to get the huge materia on disc 2, I deliberately throw the annoying mini game and wait for the turn based battle I know and love.

Crop
04-04-2016, 06:43 PM
I never really minded it until my last playthrough when I was trying to get everything for 100%. I realised that if you go back and play it about 20 times then you get lots of different items. I was sick to death of it by the time I'd gotten everything.

Exactly this for me.

Mirage
04-04-2016, 08:28 PM
It's pretty crude but I didn't hate it. It's kind of RTS-y and i like that genre anyway. I'd like to see a more refined (and believable) version of the minigame in the remake.

Also, don't forget that the elite soldiers of Shinra also wield swords, so there's obviously something about them.

VeloZer0
04-07-2016, 02:14 PM
I actually really liked that minigame.

The whole interposition of airships/guns/swords means I don't tend to take anything that they do all that seriously from an anachronistic point of view.

Vincent, Thunder God
04-07-2016, 11:01 PM
I never really minded it until my last playthrough when I was trying to get everything for 100%. I realised that if you go back and play it about 20 times then you get lots of different items. I was sick to death of it by the time I'd gotten everything. Thing is, I didn't get everything anyway because I didn't get the smurfing Parasol from Golden Saucer.

Actually now that I think of it it would have been neat if the game had an actual indicator of 100% completion (like Bully, for example) that tracked all the side quests and stuff to let you know if you'd done everything possible. Granted for completionists it might have been a source of frustration and it might have taken away from some of the more "secret" aspects of the game but maybe for the remake it would be cool to have that as an option or something.

On-topic as I recall if you want to get all the materia you have to keep going back to do this mini-game at specific points in the story to get the final reward of a specific materia (don't remember which). Back in the day I actually enjoyed it as a mini-game but it was frustrating if you missed a specific point in the story to go back and do it again because you would miss out on those rewards.

I remember a really ridiculous 100% guide online that suggested cloning every item with the clone-item trick until you had 99 of everything. That would be beyond pointless and annoying.