PDA

View Full Version : Best Star Wars Video Game

Pike
04-05-2016, 01:25 AM
So there have been a ton of really good Star Wars video games through the decades. I mean, think about it: Rogue Squadron, X-Wing, Starfighter, Episode I Racer, Jedi Knight II, TIE Fighter, Dark Forces, Super Star Wars, Battlefront, KotOR I and II...

But it's time to make a decision.

What was the BEST Star Wars video game of all time?

Madame Adequate
04-05-2016, 01:28 AM
The correct answer is Star Wars: Masters of Teräs Käsi.

Galuf
04-05-2016, 01:30 AM
Battlefront II
no question. loved Rp'ing as a kid

Madame Adequate
04-05-2016, 01:32 AM
Oh I guess Super Bombad Racing is in the running as well.

Pike
04-05-2016, 01:33 AM
Oh I guess Super Bombad Racing is in the running as well.

Smol Fenris pls go

Madame Adequate
04-05-2016, 01:35 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg_FoEy8T_A

Pike
04-05-2016, 01:36 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg_FoEy8T_A

I take it back this is the greatest Star Wars video game of all time.

Madame Adequate
04-05-2016, 01:40 AM
Okay serious answer time, I'm not actually able to choose between Kotor 1 and 2, Dark Forces II, and TIE Fighter.

Probably Kotor 2?

Pike
04-05-2016, 01:47 AM
In all seriousness I'm having trouble deciding which is my favorite, which is part of why I made this thread. Maybe KoTOR? I have to replay KoTOR II because it's been far too long and I can't remember it, hahaha.

Jedi Knight II and Episode I Racer were also legit good.

Rez09
04-05-2016, 03:49 AM
Episode I Racer would probably be my pick, though Battlefront II is a fairly close second.

Pheesh
04-05-2016, 04:08 AM
KotOR 2 for me. 1 is also amazing though.

Also, I can't remember if it was actually good or not, but I played the crap out of Jedi Acadamy when I was younger, so my memories of it are very fond.

escobert
04-05-2016, 05:01 AM
Dark Forces II > all. I played sooo much of that as a kid.

Old Manus
04-05-2016, 02:44 PM
Battlefront 1 > Battlefront 2 come at me

Sephex
04-05-2016, 03:03 PM
As cool as KOTOR II is, I can't say it is better than the first one because they shipped it in a very incomplete state.

"But on the PC version fans fixed it and patched all the missing content!"

Okay, as cool as that is, that sort of thing should never come down to the fans. I get that it was politics and if the development team had its way they wouldn't have rushed it out the door, but that still never sat right with me.

Midgar Mist
04-05-2016, 03:19 PM
I've only ever played one Star Wars game: Lego Star Wars: The Original Trilogy......because a side of Lego building is healthy in a Star Wars game. Unknown if I shall try all these others.

Fynn
04-05-2016, 03:22 PM
Is it weird that I've only played a little bit of KotOR and couldn't get into it?

Oh no, wait, Midgar Mist reminded me that Lego Star Wars exists, so I'll go with that. It was so much fun playing it with my brother.

Del Murder
04-05-2016, 05:05 PM
Super Return of the Jedi.

Pumpkin
04-05-2016, 05:09 PM
Lego Star Wars

sharkythesharkdogg
04-05-2016, 05:42 PM
Probably TIE Fighter, and then Super Return of the Jedi (even though it is even harder than Super Ghosts n Ghouls).

I have Rogue Squadron for the GC. I should try it at some point.

I've never tried KOTOR.

Psychotic
04-05-2016, 05:44 PM
Battlefront 1 > Battlefront 2 come at meyou're a disgrace

Kalevala
04-05-2016, 06:36 PM
KOTOR is a bit of a shoe-in for this.

Slothy
04-05-2016, 08:05 PM
As cool as KOTOR II is, I can't say it is better than the first one because they shipped it in a very incomplete state.

Okay, as cool as that is, that sort of thing should never come down to the fans. I get that it was politics and if the development team had its way they wouldn't have rushed it out the door, but that still never sat right with me.

And yet it's still better than kotor 1.

And the obvious answer is shadows of the empire.

Sephex
04-05-2016, 09:15 PM

And yet it's still better than kotor 1.

And the obvious answer is shadows of the empire.

I'll confess. I really didn't get down with the grey morality the game had, either. I thought it was an interesting take on the Force, Jedi, and Sith, but the one old Jedi woman (her name escapes me at the moment) pushed it way too hard. Like, if you went to the store with her she'd be all like, "500 calories per serving? That will sure fill you up, but what about starving people? Should you give it to them?" *gives food to starving people* "AH HA! You feel into my guilt trip and now I will lecture you for at least 5 hours on how feeding the poor will absolutely, positively ensure that they will never learn to make money somehow!" Or if you don't give food to the poor, "THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT, MONSTER."

In other words, it was very hamfisted. I also felt that the twist to the game was sort of weak and they obviously tried to build it up in the same dramatic fashion like the twist to the first game. And it also felt like the writers were saying, "Well, we had a big twist everyone liked in the first game. Guess we gotta put in a twist here, too."

I agree with you on Shadows of the Empire being a good game, though. I can still play it today and have loads of fun.

krissy
04-06-2016, 07:31 AM
Rve4durLqp0

Quindiana Jones
04-08-2016, 05:41 PM
The Episode 1 racing game. Only had the demo, so could only play one track with one hover thingy. I played it a tonne.

Battlefront 1 had Bespin, which was the best, but overall 2 was way better, and my friend and I played that all the damn time.

escobert
04-09-2016, 05:08 AM
Oh I forgot about Rebel Assault II. That game was sweet.

Old Manus
04-13-2016, 12:48 PM
Battlefront 1 > Battlefront 2 come at meyou're a disgraceSearch your feelings. BF2 had some changes to the mechanics that were definitely beneficial, like the ability to sprint and the new gameplay modes, but I felt that it took out more than it put in. The new maps had the Call of Duty disease where they were more like rabbit warrens of short interconnected passages rather than Hoth-style maps where you could have several battles going on in different locations.

Speaking of maps, they took out the best ones! Both Bespin levels, both Rhen Var levels (an absolute travesty), Kashyyyk Islands, Dune Sea, etc. I don't know why, but the levels that were retained, apart from Endor I suppose, never seemed quite as good. I have no idea what they were thinking with the new Geonosis map. I guess Platforms/Islands/Dune Sea got chucked because they wanted to remove all the ones which included aircraft (presumably to get people to play the space maps), but flying around dropping bombs on people was what made the whole thing fun. The space battles themselves sounded amazing on paper but I actually found them pretty boring, and judging by the lack of people playing them whenever I went online, others felt the same way.

I'm the minority of people who never liked the idea of playable Jedi either. I thought it was a bit dumb and the controls were clunky. I thought one of the appeals of BF1 was that occasionally you would come across these invincible enemies where your only option was to throw a grenade and get the hell out of there. On Jabba's Palace on BF2 you could quite easily become a Jedi and just stand in a bottleneck chopping down an endless stream of enemies until you won the game.

I have no idea why I have invested so much time in a post criticising a ten year old game that I actually enjoyed the hell out of.

Psychotic
04-13-2016, 01:07 PM
With the maps thing, that isn't a problem for me as I have some weird mod expansion for Battlefront II that not only adds all the BF1 maps, but some new ones as well.

With that said, c'mon man, Bespin Platforms? Really? There was just only ever one single choke point where the battle actually happened. Also Tattooine and Kashyyyk 2.0 were both immense and I won't hear anything said against them. Also I really liked the tight close quarters action on the Tantive IV, that map really flowed well.

Aerith's Knight
04-13-2016, 03:20 PM
Jedi knight II. It had a great story, fun shooter at first, then Jedi fights take off. It was a nice mechanic.

And the online part was awesome. It was the most mellow, respectful, online servers ever. People dueled one on one, bowed before matches, it was awesome.

Pike
04-13-2016, 03:39 PM
Jedi Knight II is honestly some of the most fun couch multiplayer I've ever had. Like imagine Halo but with force powers and lightsabers. It was legit.

Vincent, Thunder God
04-13-2016, 08:52 PM
For me the original KOTOR beats the sequel - I have played through KOTOR 2 in both it's original Xbox form and the full modded version on PC (along with the M4-78 mod) and though having the extra content helped, I still feel that KOTOR is the more complete game. It has a more fleshed out romance option a la typical Bioware, and even though the story is a much more straightforward Star Wars tale it tells it well. I enjoy Obsidian's work in general (I'm playing through Fallout New Vegas right now) and it's unfortunate that they were rushed in KOTOR's 2 completion - clearly the Restoration helps. II has a more dense, slow-paced sci-fi feel, almost reminding me of Star Trek or classic Who (nothing wrong with that of course)! I do agree with Sephex that the twist was a bit weaker though.

One thing I really would have liked to see in the original KOTOR was more of a focus for characters that start out on the Light Side and are corrupted and turn to the Dark Side, based on player choices. The morality in KOTOR 2 is an interesting take on the Star Wars universe, and I'm glad we have that interpretation. Never being able to please Kreia was a bit annoying, though I think the influence system in general was a pretty neat idea. I ended up zooming through my last playthrough and was unable to influence the characters I wanted to, despite having the modded version to add to my playthrough length. Probably the coolest scene that was restored was Atton's comments to the female Exile if he survives his fight with Darth Sion (to manage that I just used Stealth and mined the whole area around him).

Other contenders are the classic shooters like Dark Forces and Jedi Knight - I also have the Psx version of the Phatom Menace game, which I still have a soft spot for. But if you're looking for an expansion of the Star Wars lore and a more indepth look at the Jedi Academy in a different part of Star Wars history, you can't beat the two KOTORs.

Ayen
06-09-2016, 06:39 AM
Knights of the Old Republic.

Hm, that was easy.