PDA

View Full Version : Hard Choices

Wolf Kanno
04-05-2016, 07:30 PM
How do you feel about games that force you to make a choice you can't back out of? Whether the choice is simply concerning certain items or one that may change the course of the story itself, do you like having big choices that change the game or do you prefer smaller more inconsequential choices so you don't wonder about that "road less traveled"?

Pumpkin
04-05-2016, 07:35 PM
I quite like them. It makes your choices have actual, meaningful impact. Plus adds some replay value. I prefer when they literally affect the progression of the game.

That being said, while I don't mind general humanitarian dilemmas, I have a much harder time with cultural dilemmas because, like... I know what I prefer but that doesn't mean that what I like is better for the culture, you know? I don't know what the best decision is for these fictional cultures

Spuuky
04-05-2016, 07:47 PM
They're great and I wish that most games let you meaningfully impact the world and story arc, but almost none do, usually the "choices" are just token choices that don't really mean anything in the end.

Del Murder
04-05-2016, 09:54 PM
I like them but I'm always second guessing myself. I often read spoilers to see what the choice leads to so that I make the best decision. I like it best when the games have return points so you can see how the other choice plays out. Like in Tactics Ogre or Radiant Historia. Otherwise, it is probably less stressful for me when they aren't in there. :p

I also like seeing my choices have an effect later on but it gets annoying when the game is part of a series. Choosing to kill off a major character limits what the writers can do with that character in later games. So if I like that character and allow them to survive it doesn't really change their role in future installments. Mass Effect actually did this pretty well since you can kill off most of your characters but the ones you keep alive can still have major roles in the later games. However, in Dragon Age Inquisition, one of the major choices allows you to kill off Hawke which means we probably won't see him in any major role for a later installment. :(

Pete for President
04-05-2016, 11:29 PM
I made spoiler tags because this meme contains the f-word (sorry admins!) but for anyone who has played Dark Souls this totally belongs in this thread! That Forest Covenant yes or no choice, omg.

Vermachtnis
04-06-2016, 12:52 AM
Choices are great. An evolving ever changing world is great. It's always fun to talk with other people about how a scene played out differently in their playthrough. And I like roleplaying and thinking about what the character would do. But it's also because of that, that I hate choices between items. I will always pick the one with the better stats even if the other choice is more lore heavy.

Spuuky
04-06-2016, 05:19 PM
However, in Dragon Age Inquisition, one of the major choices allows you to kill off Hawke which means we probably won't see him in any major role for a later installment. :(*her

Madame Adequate
04-07-2016, 10:05 PM
I like tough choices when they're meaningful and feel like they make sense. Sometimes it's just a really obvious cheap ploy though.

Vincent, Thunder God
04-07-2016, 11:14 PM
What bothers me about choices is that they often follow a good/evil dichotomy, and mixing up your dialog responses will usually limit your persuasion abilities by endgame and also the game won't often recognize a user-chosen dramatic change in choice between the good or evil path. I would like to see a game that is intelligent enough to realize moments when a sudden change in a character towards good or evil is recognized and it impacts the story, and doesn't punish the player for sometimes picking a more sarcastic choice for fun even if you're playing a mostly "good" character.

Forsaken Lover
04-08-2016, 01:16 AM
Choices and roleplaying is what drew me to WRPGs after a lifetime of playing JRPGs.

Big or small, I like having that control. I also think the people who get into debates about "how much did they REALLY matter?" are annoying. The changes being minor or superficial just don't matter to me. Unless the choice you made was huge and climatic, like giving the most powerful object in the galaxy to a group. Nothing of substance coming from that is dumb.

Heavy Rain had choices too, which is another reason I love it. The fourth trial is really hard because of this.

Galuf
04-08-2016, 01:41 AM
Liked them in ME

i guess Undertale was similair too.

yeah theyre pretty nice

Elly
04-08-2016, 04:28 AM
i dislike them... usually with "hard choices" we lose the possibility of ever 100% a game on a single play-through, due to a "hard choice" forcing something or someone to be excluded...

theundeadhero
04-08-2016, 04:41 AM
I don't feel the need to control the world around me. I'm fine whether choices are there or not.

Skyblade
04-09-2016, 07:56 AM
Does character customization count? Because my GOSH I have spent so much time on those choices, and they are some of the hardest I've faced in gaming.

VeloZer0
04-09-2016, 04:45 PM
I actually really dislike storyline choices in games. When I see a choice I don't think "what do I want to do?" I think "which of these options do I want to be locked out of?"

I also feel it really weakens the story. Having a much more linear story progression allows them to write a much tighter and cohesive plot. (Whether they do so is another story...) Tactic Ogre had great plot lines, however because you could chose from multiple paths I felt the whole thing was cheapened and I had no investment in any of them.

Formalhaut
04-10-2016, 03:54 PM
Does character customization count? Because my GOSH I have spent so much time on those choices, and they are some of the hardest I've faced in gaming.

I can get in with this, I spend hours on it perfecting the right face.

Vincent, Thunder God
04-10-2016, 11:09 PM
The biggest thing I fret over tends to be things like Major skills in Morrowind/Oblivion. I usually end up partially regretting my decision because I focus on other skills. I guess in a sense the simplification of that system in Skyrim suits me better - but I've never gotten into it as much as the previous two.

Skyblade
04-11-2016, 02:11 AM

Mass Effect drove me nuts in this regard. I first threw together a (relatively) quick face, intending to take the time to go back and fix up a better one later, as I just wanted to see what I'd be getting into.

Six hours later, I stopped playing, and realized it was nearly impossible to go back and use a different face because I was too attached to the original. I spent so long trying to recreate it. :D

But, yeah, the hardest choices for me are usually permanent ones affecting my character. For example, Stardew Valley gives you perks when you reach levels 5 or 10 in a Skill, and you get to choose between one of two perks for each of those ranks. I debated for way too long over which to get.

Formalhaut
04-11-2016, 04:17 AM
[QUOTE=Skyblade;3608866]Does character customization count? Because my GOSH I have spent so much time on those choices, and they are some of the hardest I've faced in gaming.

Mass Effect drove me nuts in this regard. I first threw together a (relatively) quick face, intending to take the time to go back and fix up a better one later, as I just wanted to see what I'd be getting into.

Six hours later, I stopped playing, and realized it was nearly impossible to go back and use a different face because I was too attached to the original. I spent so long trying to recreate it. :D

Ugh, M!Shep is by far the hardest person to mould a shape for. I spent way too long trying to make my Alexander Shepard. He still looks slightly strange in weird lightning, but he mostly looks pretty good otherwise. I'm hoping he'll look better come ME: 2.

The worst thing with CC is they always look slightly different in-game than they do in the creation menu.

Bubba
04-11-2016, 10:01 AM
Ugh, M!Shep is by far the hardest person to mould a shape for. I spent way too long trying to make my Alexander Shepard. He still looks slightly strange in weird lightning, but he mostly looks pretty good otherwise. I'm hoping he'll look better come ME: 2.

The worst thing with CC is they always look slightly different in-game than they do in the creation menu.

Oh man, yeah. I restarted my current ME playthrough three times. THREE TIMES. Any change you make to the face looks so bad in-game. Maybe I just suck at it, who knows :shrug:

Vermachtnis
04-11-2016, 10:15 AM
Don't get me started on character creation. On XIV I remake my character at least once a month.

And games with Perks are time killers. I spend so much time debating on which would be more useful. In New Vegas, I probably spent more time on the Perk selection screen then anything else. "This'll be useful now, but this one could be useful later. Maybe I can get it later? But this one could lead to funny dialog. Does this match the character's personality I'm going for? Well if I get it, I guess it does now. I haven't used Laser Pistols in awhile so I can rule that out. But what if I get a really good one." It goes on and on.