PDA

View Full Version : Who would win in a fight, Andraste or the Archdemon?

Pike
04-06-2016, 12:09 AM
Well?

Del Murder
04-06-2016, 12:19 AM
I always saw Andraste as more of a figurehead. Anything mystic about her is mostly legend. You need some pretty wicked powers to take down an Archdemon. I don't think it's a contest. It would eat her up!

Formalhaut
04-06-2016, 12:25 AM
Andraste is one woman. Even The Warden required the help of an alcoholic dwarf, an old woman and a Mabari to take down the Archdemon.

Archdemon. If we're saying this is a one-on-one.

Vermachtnis
04-06-2016, 12:40 AM
It'd end in a draw. She could catch herself on fire and run full spring into the dragon and explode her ashes all over him.

Pike
04-06-2016, 01:05 AM
So far your guys' posts seem to be in line with what the random NPCs I saw who were arguing this were saying. Impressive job, all!

Spuuky
04-06-2016, 01:21 AM
I can't believe you heretics think Joan of Arc would lose to a lowly Archdemon

Mr. Carnelian
04-06-2016, 10:05 AM
According to the Chantry, Andraste didn't really have any powers. It was the Maker who did all the miracles, not her, although she's the one who asked him to do them. In that case, she wouldn't stand a chance. Of course, if she was actually a mage (as some in the games speculate) with god-level powers - and it would have to be god-level, seeing as she apparently caused an eclipse - then Andraste would win, hands down.

Formalhaut
04-06-2016, 02:03 PM
What would causing an eclipse do but make it harder to see properly?

Mr. Carnelian
04-06-2016, 02:09 PM
What would causing an eclipse do but make it harder to see properly?

I'm not saying that causing an eclipse would help in a battle with an Archdemon, silly. It's just an indication of Andraste's (possible) mage power.

Spuuky
04-06-2016, 05:21 PM
What you think that Andraste is going into this battle and the Maker is just going to ignore her and not grant his blessings just because "it's a 1v1" or something? I don't get it.

Formalhaut
04-06-2016, 05:28 PM
Eh, bringing a God into battle is just cheating, really. That's assuming that the Maker actually exists in this universe and even if he does, whether or not he's an actual God or a just a souped up version of something else.

Spuuky
04-06-2016, 11:05 PM
Is bringing a sword into battle "cheating"?

Del Murder
04-06-2016, 11:15 PM
A sword that doesn't exist? I guess not, since it doesn't exist.

Spuuky
04-06-2016, 11:35 PM
The Maker is real and I am his Herald.

Forsaken Lover
04-06-2016, 11:54 PM
If all the elves fought all the qunari, who do you think would win?

[/Isabela]

Del Murder
04-06-2016, 11:55 PM
Could the Maker make a sword so big that even he couldn't wield it?

Even if the Maker does exist, he sure was content to let Andraste's fate play out when she was betrayed by her husband and burned at the stake. Nor does he seem to care all that much about defeating archdemons, since the Wardens are the only ones who can handle it and they aren't really affiliated with the Chantry.

Madame Adequate
04-07-2016, 01:41 AM
I figured the Maker wasn't going to intervene much directly since the whole Black City incident, maybe he just did the Andraste thing to help the world carry on while he was busy elsewhere.

Andraste, whether empowered by the Maker or not, would fucking crush any Archdemon though.

The Summoner of Leviathan
04-07-2016, 01:10 PM
Eh, bringing a God into battle is just cheating, really. That's assuming that the Maker actually exists in this universe and even if he does, whether or not he's an actual God or a just a souped up version of something else.
The Archdemons are the Old Gods though so I mean it is already a stacked battle.

Formalhaut
04-07-2016, 01:13 PM
Fair point, though archdemons present as just really powerful dragons.

This whole thing is moot anyway as even if Andraste 'killed' the archdemon it'd just resurrect without a Warden's strike.

The Summoner of Leviathan
04-07-2016, 01:23 PM
Not necessarily given that the lore establishes that divinity does exist even if it is more like Greek gods than monotheistic God, this suggests while the Maker might very well exist or had existed, and would possibly help Andraste. It could be within the Maker's power to permanent slay it. Also, Andraste could just become a Warden. Not that hard, just drink some dark spawn blood (because if you think they're won't be any around helping their master?)

Skyblade
04-07-2016, 01:32 PM
I find it very interesting that the thread poses the question of Andraste versus "the" Archdemon.

Which Archdemon is "the" Archdemon, exactly? The one from Origins? It's dead. In fact, all of the Archdemons that have existed in the past are dead (there are only, what, four of them total so far? Of a possible seven, IIRC?).

Andraste is dead too... Though, depending on the interpretation of the Herald event, she has some existence left on another realm, while the Archdemon is just gone.

So, I'll go with Andraste.

Pike
04-08-2016, 10:33 AM
Which Archdemon is "the" Archdemon, exactly? The one from Origins? It's dead. In fact, all of the Archdemons that have existed in the past are dead (there are only, what, four of them total so far? Of a possible seven, IIRC?).

The question was first posed by a couple of NPCs in Awakenings so I'm assuming they're talking about a theoretical matchup between Andraste and the most recent Archdemon (i.e. the one in Origins)

Formalhaut
04-08-2016, 11:35 AM
I find it very interesting that the thread poses the question of Andraste versus "the" Archdemon.

Andraste is dead too... Though, depending on the interpretation of the Herald event, she has some existence left on another realm, while the Archdemon is just gone.

*Puts on nerd hat*

There's been five blights, and thus five archdemons that went and got themselves killed:

- Dumat, Dragon of Silence
- Zazikel, Dragon of Chaos
- Toth, Dragon of Fire
- Andoral, Dragon of Slaves
- Urthemiel, Dragon of Beauty

There's two left:

- Razikale, Dragon of Mystery
- Lusacan, Dragon of Night

Of course, that's assuming that there's not an hidden eighth Old God, of which there are arguments for there being one.

Skyblade
04-08-2016, 04:57 PM

*Puts on nerd hat*

There's been five blights, and thus five archdemons that went and got themselves killed:

- Dumat, Dragon of Silence
- Zazikel, Dragon of Chaos
- Toth, Dragon of Fire
- Andoral, Dragon of Slaves
- Urthemiel, Dragon of Beauty

There's two left:

- Razikale, Dragon of Mystery
- Lusacan, Dragon of Night

Of course, that's assuming that there's not an hidden eighth Old God, of which there are arguments for there being one.

Cthulhu, Dragon of Insanity.

Thanks for the correction, though.

What will happen when they're all dead?

Formalhaut
04-08-2016, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the correction, though.

What will happen when they're all dead?

No worries! :D

Honestly, that is a good question. After every blight, especially the fourth one, lots of people kept saying "yep, this is the last one, definitely", only for them to be bitten in the ass again.

As for when all seven are killed? Who can say? There's a possibility of both Razikale and Lusacan teaming up to wreck havoc across all of Thedas. Their titles are vaguely similar (Mystery and Night), so that's an idea if BioWare wanted a ME: 3 style ending.

Otherwise, who knows? The Old Gods are one of the most enduring mysteries that hasn't been answered yet. You just know there's something off about the received wisdom and lore about them, but there's nothing that can be proven.