PDA

View Full Version : The Scariest Weapon Monster

Midgar Mist
04-06-2016, 11:33 PM
Out of the ones played, I've always found Emerald Weapon of FF7 to be the scariest. He just looks sooooo creepy.

Happily exploring underwater with that great music......then this big green thing that looks like it has an exhaust pipe comes into view. Eeeep!

Getting the Ancient's Key and turning to go......arrrgh! there it is again!

Leaving the sunken Gelnika after some successful plundering......ahhhhhh! this damn things following me! mayday! mayday!

I naively went into battle with him as a newbie.....and getting slaughtered so quickly...the mental scars have never healed (sniff)

How about you....which FF Weapon scares you the most? Visually, or battle wise?

Wolf Kanno
04-07-2016, 04:21 AM
Emerald is pretty scary when trying to do the Gelinka stuff and you need to avoid him, course the original Omega in FFV was also a nightmare about this. In terms of the most intimidating Weapon design, probably Ultima Weapon from FFVI or XIV.

theundeadhero
04-07-2016, 04:35 AM
Running into Warmech in FF1. He has a chance to be the random battle in every fight on the bridge to Tiamat. There's no avoiding the area, or singling him out for destruction. You just have to cross the bridge and hold your breath every time you go into battle, hoping it's not him. It's not too bad at high levels, but can kill a party in the low twenties pretty quick.

Wolf Kanno
04-07-2016, 05:28 AM
Running into Warmech in FF1. He has a chance to be the random battle in every fight on the bridge to Tiamat. There's no avoiding the area, or singling him out for destruction. You just have to cross the bridge and hold your breath every time you go into battle, hoping it's not him. It's not too bad at high levels, but can kill a party in the low twenties pretty quick.

I'd probably agree if my only two encounters with him involved the poor thing running into my well trained and armed party, so I've yet to experience the terror he is suppose to bring. Same thing with the Iron Giant in FFII.

Saber
04-07-2016, 08:37 AM
Omega Weapon for the win. He is the end of all things. To truly save the world you can beat the final boss, but to make sure it never ends you have to kill Omega.

Vermachtnis
04-07-2016, 08:44 AM
Does Angra Mainyu count? It fills the role of a weapon and is one of the creepiest designed monsters of the 3D games.

If not, I'm also going to say Emerald. I can not count how many times I left the Gelnika just to start a battle with that. It made me very jittery.

Zanmato
04-07-2016, 11:42 AM
Omega Weapon for the win. He is the end of all things. To truly save the world you can beat the final boss, but to make sure it never ends you have to kill Omega.
I agree with you! :cheers:
Omega Weapon is a truly terrifying being and I wish he could be a final boss instead of this really lame Yu Yevon... :colbert:

Bubba
04-07-2016, 12:36 PM
Yeah, I'm gonna go with Emerald Weapon too. Just for the times when I'd submerge the submarine and realise I haven't saved for a while. You're then just hoping he doesn't appear right in front of you. If he does you genuinely nearly shit yourself.

Fynn
04-07-2016, 12:39 PM
Emerald is pretty scary when trying to do the Gelinka stuff and you need to avoid him, course the original Omega in FFV was also a nightmare about this. In terms of the most intimidating Weapon design, probably Ultima Weapon from FFVI or XIV.

Holy shit, Ultima Weapon on the Flying Continent gave me nightmares for weeks :onoes: I mean, the design is one thing, but the fact that it was just such a difficulty spike really made me sweat!

Rez09
04-07-2016, 01:36 PM
I have to give this one to Emerald. I'm pretty sure the first time I saw it I ran straight into it, expecting some simple optional fight. I then spent the rest of my time underwater convinced it was stalking me.

Skyblade
04-07-2016, 01:45 PM
I have to give this one to Emerald. I'm pretty sure the first time I saw it I ran straight into it, expecting some simple optional fight. I then spent the rest of my time underwater convinced it was stalking me.

Oh, it was.

Which is probably why I'm voting for it as well.

Emerald was the only one to have an intimidating presence outside of the battle screen. Every other boss tends to just sit there in one place (like Omega in FFVIII), or just be a random encounter. Emerald wasn't. He was waiting, lurking, hunting... Always around the corner. Always ready to toast you. And, if you hit him accidentally, you were dead. When you first fight him, you'd be fighting, and be being beaten, but holding on, just trying to keep going before that time limit completed (even though you had no idea how long of a fight it was, because, let's face it, no one wastes time with Sense), and then... Aire Tam Storm.

Galuf
04-07-2016, 02:05 PM
Ruby. Idk it just looks so intimidating. as it towers over you. and defeats you without trying.

Midgar Mist
04-07-2016, 04:00 PM
Does Angra Mainyu count? It fills the role of a weapon and is one of the creepiest designed monsters of the 3D games.

If not, I'm also going to say Emerald. I can not count how many times I left the Gelnika just to start a battle with that. It made me very jittery.

I have a finely honed instinct so the second I see him I resurface. Go back down and he's gone.

Omega Weapon is a truly terrifying being and I wish he could be a final boss instead of this really lame Yu Yevon... :colbert:

Sure Yu Yevon is lame, but its fun watching some beetle like creature try to heal itself, but it can't if its zombified! The really lame one is the one before, especially if you've nabbed all the extra aeons.

Ive never seen Omega Weapon up close...just the cut scene of the back of him. I only use the first bit of that dungeon to level up. Those random battles can wipe me out.....and those Grand Malboro's....yeesh....I don't get anywhere near him.

Holy trout, Ultima Weapon on the Flying Continent gave me nightmares for weeks :onoes: I mean, the design is one thing, but the fact that it was just such a difficulty spike really made me sweat!

Im glad I didn't spend a lot of time on that floating continent then.

Galuf
04-07-2016, 06:16 PM

I have a finely honed instinct so the second I see him I resurface. Go back down and he's gone.

Sure Yu Yevon is lame, but its fun watching some beetle like creature try to heal itself, but it can't if its zombified! The really lame one is the one before, especially if you've nabbed all the extra aeons.

Ive never seen Omega Weapon up close...just the cut scene of the back of him. I only use the first bit of that dungeon to level up. Those random battles can wipe me out.....and those Grand Malboro's....yeesh....I don't get anywhere near him.

Holy trout, Ultima Weapon on the Flying Continent gave me nightmares for weeks :onoes: I mean, the design is one thing, but the fact that it was just such a difficulty spike really made me sweat!

Im glad I didn't spend a lot of time on that floating continent then.

Theres only 1 atma.

well... theres another, locked away in prison.

Zanmato
04-08-2016, 11:17 AM
I disagree with you! :colbert: Braska's Final Aeon is actually more challenging and his desing (along with the song) is way better than this of really lame Yu Yevon! :doublecolbert:

Galuf
04-08-2016, 11:20 AM
I disagree with you! :colbert: Braska's Final Aeon is actually more challenging and his desing (along with the song) is way better than this of really lame Yu Yevon! :doublecolbert:

i think she means the part where you kill the Aeons.

Egami
04-08-2016, 02:18 PM

Indeed, one of my favorite looking bosses in the series. She has a badass design and really takes a good while along with planning/strategy to take down.

As far as the scariest weapon goes...definitely Atma Weapon in the floating continent. When the fight starts and that music kicks in and then you see his sprite which is totally unlike anything you have faced before in the WoB (in terms of size, details, etc), it is a definitely "holy trout" moment. It really leaves an impression the very first time you face him.

Midgar Mist
04-09-2016, 05:36 AM

Yes, I meant that one.

Zanmato
04-09-2016, 09:55 AM

Yes, I meant that one.
It doesn't change the fact that this fight was very cheap (fighting against your own aeons) and very lame (fighting Yu Yevon). :colbert:

Galuf
04-09-2016, 12:58 PM
agreed. but theres also that Type-0 boss The final boss, its less rubbish than yu yevon, but barely a boss

Midgar Mist
04-09-2016, 04:32 PM
I've googled Atma Weapon and while he looks ferocious, Emerald Weapon is still the creepiest for me.

Galuf
04-09-2016, 04:38 PM
I've googled Atma Weapon and while he looks ferocious, Emerald Weapon is still the creepiest for me.

Atma is the Snes translation of Ultima i believe, on FFVI. idk if its called that on the Ps1 version but you have defeated it.

Midgar Mist
04-10-2016, 03:31 AM
Is it that one you fight just before reaching Kefka? If so I really have defeated him. And yeah he's difficult but I squeak by just about. The fact that I couldnt remember that boss fight from a few days ago means he really doesn't creep me out.

Galuf
04-10-2016, 12:30 PM
Is it that one you fight just before reaching Kefka? If so I really have defeated him. And yeah he's difficult but I squeak by just about. The fact that I couldnt remember that boss fight from a few days ago means he really doesn't creep me out.

yes, that six legged abomination. i thouggt it was one of the more memorable bosses tbh