PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Mishaps

Formalhaut
04-10-2016, 05:36 PM
http://i.imgur.com/JJ0bHza.gif

Ugh, so today I accidentally cut my finger on a knife while I was chopping some bread rolls. Not the most exciting story, I know.

It was only a small cut, and fortunately I'm very careful usually so it happens very rarely. But I know not everyone can be so cautious. The kitchen is a dangerous place. Hot temperatures, bladed implements, cheese graters. All of these can cause some serious damage! Not to mention more mundane disasters, like burning food and/or the kitchen.

So, EoFFers, what are the most memorable culinary catastrophes in your experience? I'm expecting some good stories here, people.

(Mods: This isn't strictly about food, so I didn't put it in Quina's Kitchen, although it could be, so feel free to move it there.)

Calliope
04-10-2016, 06:25 PM
I don't really make many kitchen mishaps, but I'm still upset that Leslie got eliminated from Masterchef for putting salt in his cake instead of sugar :cry:

Formalhaut
04-10-2016, 06:32 PM
I don't really make many kitchen mishaps, but I'm still upset that Leslie got eliminated from Masterchef for putting salt in his cake instead of sugar :cry:

To be fair, that is a pretty big mistake.

Calliope
04-10-2016, 06:35 PM
Wait! I just remembered that half of our chopping board is burnt because I turned on the wrong burner one time, whoops :roll2

Formalhaut
04-10-2016, 06:48 PM
Can you imagine if I went blind and had to tell people it was because of an exploding Frito pie?

I could think of worse ways to go blind. At least it's pretty original. :monster:

Also, I'm waiting for Fynn to come into this thread and regale us with his many knife misadventures.

Sephex
04-10-2016, 07:36 PM
Kitchen related topic? Off to Quina's Kitchen with you!

One time I was trying to make pancakes as a real little kid and I made this weird scrambled egg pancake because I had no clue what I was doing.

fire_of_avalon
04-10-2016, 10:25 PM

I've never done this, but fear of this is why I taste everything that is palatable and always taste batter. Also it's yummy.

I burned my Mama Jeanne's stove eye covers because I turned the wrong burner on. Twict.

Formalhaut
04-10-2016, 10:27 PM
I'm still confused as to why you'd mix them up. Unless you store both your salt and your sugar in identical containers, in which case that cake deserves to be soiled.

Pheesh
04-11-2016, 12:56 AM
I sliced my hand pretty bad once while washing a knife. Aside from that I can't think of anything too terrible apart from just general "oh no, I overcooked it." stories.

The Summoner of Leviathan
04-11-2016, 02:43 AM
Jameson Caramel sauce at my first kitchen job. Basically went whoosh with alcohol and a burnt my bangs.

Formalhaut
04-11-2016, 02:59 AM
Jameson Caramel sauce at my first kitchen job. Basically went whoosh with alcohol and a burnt my bangs.

I forget you work in kitchens! What's the most crazy mishap you've heard or seen by others, TSoL?

Colonel Angus
04-11-2016, 03:27 AM
Ball Park used to have these mini hot dogs in a bun that were microwavable. Well, I was supposed to microwave it for 20 secs., but for some reason I set it for 2 mins. & the kitchen was filled w/ smoke. I had to open every window & the front door just to air the place out.

04-11-2016, 03:50 AM

I forget you work in kitchens! What's the most crazy mishap you've heard or seen by others, TSoL?
Cleaning a deep fryer with still hot oil. I wasn't there when it happened but the dude fucked up his arms.

Formalhaut
04-11-2016, 04:10 AM

Cleaning a deep fryer with still hot oil. I wasn't there when it happened but the dude smurfed up his arms.

:erm:

Bubba
04-11-2016, 10:58 AM
Wait! I just remembered that half of our chopping board is burnt because I turned on the wrong burner one time, whoops :roll2

The exact same thing happened to me!

04-12-2016, 01:39 AM
I have attempted to pick up pans out of the oven without oven mitts on more than once.

I know the pain! T__T

Pheesh
04-12-2016, 01:59 AM
I have attempted to pick up pans out of the oven without oven mitts on more than once.

I know the pain! T__T

Yeah, I've actually done this one as well. It's brutal.

SammieBabe
04-12-2016, 01:16 PM
I have a scar on my left index finger from cutting lemons with a shitty knife. I was waiting tables and it bled so much I was the first server cut so I could go home and deal with it. I was on my third Band-Aid at that point.

Pumpkin
04-12-2016, 01:25 PM
I injure myself a lot. Cheese grated my finger by accident once and that hurt more than expected. Accidentally dumped warm (not hot, thankfully) oil on myself once, regularly cut myself, hit my hand on the top part of the oven where it was super hot and my hand was blistered and purple for a long time after that.

sinuosity
04-15-2016, 01:26 PM
Yooooooooo when on a Friday night you decide to make enough chicken poached in napoletana sauce for a few nights and you end up having to reduce the sauce for like 2 hours. Dinner at 10pm :(

sharkythesharkdogg
04-15-2016, 05:21 PM
I've been told dinner dates in Australia never start on time anyway. :p

Yar
04-17-2016, 02:03 PM
When I was first learning to cook I left oil on the stove and let it get so hot it caught fire... Tip: don't let oil get to hot or it will ignite. Also keep a lot lid nearby and all times when working with oil like that.