PDA

View Full Version : Gameplay mechanics/features everyone else loves but you don't.

Wolf Kanno
04-11-2016, 05:10 AM
I'm sure we all have one or two gameplay features that you'll hear someone rave about how it's so amazing but you simply roll your eyes at and move on. What gameplay features or mechanics do you feel most people seem to love but you simply really can't find the joy in it.

Formalhaut
04-11-2016, 05:46 AM
Stealth. It can​ work, but more often than not it is just infuriating.

Loony BoB
04-12-2016, 12:25 PM
Endgame battle content. People in FFXIV do the same dungeons over and over for their daily rewards and I just don't see the point. I have a big dislike for battle dungeons in most games. :p

Pete for President
04-12-2016, 12:54 PM
Wave clear survival is something i have never been able to enjoy. COD zombies, tower defense games - if death is inevitable and there is no beating, only lasting x-amount of time i just can't be bothered to play it.

Freya
04-12-2016, 04:18 PM
Turn based strategy games. Wars don't happen in turns! RTS or nothing imo.

Fynn
04-12-2016, 04:23 PM
Achievements. I don't need instant gratification to motivate me to play a game, which is something I should be doing for pleasure in the first place

Pumpkin
04-12-2016, 04:41 PM
Absurdly hard difficulty. Like, I have trouble with normal difficulty and some people just get so pumped for "This game kicked my ass so hard, it's the most challenging thing I've ever done"

Which is awesome for people who want that challenge, but for me? Please, I play games to chillax and unwind, not to pull my hair out and throws stuff at my TV. Not my deal

sharkythesharkdogg
04-12-2016, 05:22 PM
Absurdly hard difficulty. Like, I have trouble with normal difficulty and some people just get so pumped for "This game kicked my ass so hard, it's the most challenging thing I've ever done"

Which is awesome for people who want that challenge, but for me? Please, I play games to chillax and unwind, not to pull my hair out and throws stuff at my TV. Not my deal

Good luck, Commander.

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/xcom-eu_the_council_2609.jpg

Wolf Kanno
04-12-2016, 09:06 PM
Save points that auto-heal the whole party, I've never really seen this implemented in a way that doesn't dumb down the whole experience of the game for me.

Avatar building is probably my least favorite part of some RPGs. I really don't like wasting what feels like half an hour on customizing how my player avatar looks, and 9 out of 10 times, I'm usually unhappy with the result. Damn straight I went with default Shep when doing Mass Effect.

Elly
04-12-2016, 09:39 PM
First person view, without peripheral vision it does not make any sense, it's like running around with blinders on... it really hampered my enjoyment of Deus Ex: HR...

Midgar Mist
04-13-2016, 04:08 AM
Grand Theft Auto 3 and Vice City

These games are hard, in the early missions too. Fricking RC Helicopters and hard to catch criminals roaming around in their golf buggies? Also, those garages to change the plates and paint are not easy to find. The trouble meter rises easily and you get them crashing into you at every angle til you're dead or arrested.

Yet......these games are popular :-/

theundeadhero
04-13-2016, 04:33 AM
Green and blue magic
Minigames
Steal
Rages

Vermachtnis
04-13-2016, 06:49 AM
Permadeath, I see the appeal of the added difficulty and being more careful and using tactics, but what I don't see the appeal in is that everything could be rendered pointless by a single misstep or if the game decides to just up kill you because the RNG dictated it.