PDA

View Full Version : Genesis is all but confirmed

Bright Shield
04-12-2016, 06:18 PM
God damn you to hell Square Enix. Looks like Nomura is going to cough up another Crisis Core level turd. Poor FFVII.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/04/12/final-fantasy-vii-remake-may-see-areas-characters-spinoffs/

Karifean
04-12-2016, 06:47 PM
Am I the only one who thinks this really isn't such a big deal? So what if Genesis shows up / is referenced / whatever. He's been a part of the FF7verse for a long time now, it's no surprise that he'd be in the remake in some form.

Fynn
04-12-2016, 06:56 PM
Because he's laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame

Sephiroth
04-12-2016, 07:10 PM
The amount of effort fans invest into fighting against the decision of owners concerning their canonicity, it being FF, DB, SW and all other fiction is incredible.

Egami covered that one already by the way.

CimminyCricket
04-12-2016, 07:20 PM
This isn't the worst part of the extended universe that could end up in the game. We could go from mean yet competent and skilled Cloud to sad and depressed and good for nothing an entire game Cloud.

Del Murder
04-12-2016, 07:30 PM
People are inferring a lot of different things from the same interview. I don't think Genesis is 'all but confirmed' based on those comments. I would assume things from CC possibly AC would be mentioned in the game but the focus is on Cloud & co's story. It's not like you will be wandering around Midgar and Genesis shows up.

Wolf Kanno
04-12-2016, 08:33 PM
For the most part, I always expected there would be several references to the Compilation anyway, so this is really no big deal to me.

As for Genesis being "confirmed", I feel this has more to do with the fact he was inserted and played a large role in the Nibelheim incident, thanks to Crisis Core. Perhaps SE might retcon that out, but it's just as likely that part will have the most references, if not a cameo, of SE's resident disgraceful protagonist.

Either way, I don't give a smurf.

Fynn
04-12-2016, 08:42 PM
The amount of effort fans invest into fighting against the decision of owners concerning their canonicity, it being FF, DB, SW and all other fiction is incredible.

Death of the Author, pal. Once the work is out there, it's out there, and it doesn't belong to the creators anymore than it does to any of the viewers/readers/players.

Sephiroth
04-12-2016, 09:25 PM

Death of the Author, pal. Once the work is out there, it's out there, and it doesn't belong to the creators anymore than it does to any of the viewers/readers/players.

Yeah, I have heard of this nonsensical made up rule, as if anyone could decide that this is a fact, that ultimately results in paradoxical events. Oh and, "pal", the author/owner of FF is not dead. Especially considering an author is not always the only owner. Canonicity is defined by the owner who has the right to do so, that is not always the original author. Especially as Square Enix is an entire company that owns FF with a lot of people who have a say So even if this were some rule that was supposed to be taken seriously - an inconsistent rule as it only should be the obvious "as long as no one owns it legally anymore together with the rights to change it ..." - Square Enix' products are not the best to use it on. As long as there is always an owner involved it is just disrespecting the rights of those owners. So that rule is really no good. FF does not belong to fans just because an author might leave or die.

Wolf Kanno
04-12-2016, 11:30 PM

Yeah, I have heard of this nonsensical made up rule, as if anyone could decide that this is a fact, that ultimately results in paradoxical events. Oh and, "pal", the author/owner of FF is not dead. Especially considering an author is not always the only owner. Canonicity is defined by the owner who has the right to do so, that is not always the original author. Especially as Square Enix is an entire company that owns FF with a lot of people who have a say So even if this were some rule that was supposed to be taken seriously - an inconsistent rule as it only should be the obvious "as long as no one owns it legally anymore together with the rights to change it ..." - Square Enix' products are not the best to use it on. As long as there is always an owner involved it is just disrespecting the rights of those owners. So that rule is really no good. FF does not belong to fans just because an author might leave or die.

svtLfoGH19c

This is what Fynn meant. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DeathOfTheAuthor)

Bright Shield
04-13-2016, 12:12 AM

I'm not denying that the compilation is canon. I'm stating that it's a poorly written piece of ret-conned crap, and SHOULD be written out of canon. Most FFVII fans I've met agree that the compilation did nothing but tarnish the reputation of the original.

I mean who the hell wants that pansy Genesis to come waltzing into the reactor blabbing about soldier honor, and what Angels dream of?

Mirage
04-13-2016, 12:13 AM
Yes, just like everyone has to accept that Tidus literally died from kicking a boobytrapped blitzball.

Everyone who doesn't think that's a fantastic and important part of the FFX storyline are obviously idiots.

Or to make an exaggearted but still valid example: What if JRR Tolkien's son wrote a book called the lord of the rings: origins, which was a 10 page work that said frodo was eaten by the orcs in the first book and the rest of the trilogy is actually one of gandalf's drug-induced dreams? He owns the rights to the series, so whatever he says is canon, right?

In this world, surely you would have to laugh at those people who liked the original trilogy, and make sure to tell them "i can't believe you actually like those books. don't you know what really happened? haven't you read the 4th book?"

Bright Shield
04-13-2016, 12:20 AM
Yeah, and for the record HAN shot first. **** George Lucas and his idiotic ret-cons.

Midgar Mist
04-13-2016, 03:23 AM
God damn you to hell Square Enix. Looks like Nomura is going to cough up another Crisis Core level turd. Poor FFVII.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/04/12/final-fantasy-vii-remake-may-see-areas-characters-spinoffs/

Wow.........is it actually possible to cough up a turd? That guy's got one helluva backwards digestive system.

VeloZer0
04-13-2016, 03:51 AM
This isn't the worst part of the extended universe that could end up in the game. We could go from mean yet competent and skilled Cloud to sad and depressed and good for nothing an entire game Cloud.
Yeah, that's the one I am dreading t he most.

CimminyCricket
04-13-2016, 05:46 AM
Yeah, that's the one I am dreading t he most.
Of all the changes and additions from the EU, this was the one that I disliked the most. I could deal with how Angel, Genesis, and Weiss (and by proxy Deep Ground) may never have been mentioned a single time despite the first two being considered his equals, just due to who the party was focused on defeating. The other two were dead/missing or some such. I can't deal with how they took a strong willed, angry, and competent character and turned him into a sad character with none of the confidence that made him so likable in the first place.

maybee
04-13-2016, 02:04 PM

Oh fuck please no. One of the reasons why Cloud was such a strongly loved character was because he overcame his inner-weaknesses and demons and became confident within himself and who he is. Cloud is okay with being Cloud.

And then Advent Children comes out and takes a giant turd on all of that.

DMKA
04-14-2016, 02:20 AM
Ummm I read the link. Where is Genesis mentioned?

Sephex
04-14-2016, 02:45 AM
It's very cool of Sega to let Square-Enix use their classic console as a cameo. It might distract from the story, but maybe they'll have old Sonic games as mini games? But with a Chocobo! You get the Chaos Emeralds and you can earn a Gold Chocobo that way! Man, this remake is going to kick so much ass that said ass will look like a baboon's ass!

Bright Shield
04-14-2016, 03:15 PM
Ummm I read the link. Where is Genesis mentioned?

That's why I said all but confirmed.

Unfortunately, he's the obvious choice. Nomura and his goons want to squeeze in as many Crapilation characters as possible, and Genesis was already ret-conned into the reactor scene. He's the easiest character to include, since he's officially in the scene now.

Fynn
04-14-2016, 03:21 PM
I',m still counting on Gackt behaving like a decent human being and feeling too guilty to take part

maybee
04-14-2016, 03:36 PM
It's very cool of Sega to let Square-Enix use their classic console as a cameo.

Too bad Sephiroth blows up Sega Saturn.

Del Murder
04-15-2016, 05:53 PM
It's very cool of Sega to let Square-Enix use their classic console as a cameo.

Too bad Sephiroth blows up Sega Saturn.
Yeah he does but it was all a Dreamcast.