PDA

View Full Version : Most complicated game you've ever played.

Wolf Kanno
04-14-2016, 03:59 AM
Whether it's the story, the gameplay or some other element you wouldn't really think about, what is the most complicated game you've ever had the pleasure or displeasure to play?

Rez09
04-14-2016, 04:17 AM
Knights in Nightmare comes to mind; I beat it and still have barely any idea what the hell is going on.

Fynn
04-14-2016, 05:53 AM
Probably Vagrant Story. Although that game may have only seemed complicated due to the fact that the game explained nothing about itself :p

Vermachtnis
04-14-2016, 07:14 AM
Mechanics wise, I'm going to say Risen. How you swung your weapon or blocked or whatever was based on your mouse movement. And not to mention the beginning was really hard too and it being a few hours until you got a proper tutorial.

Wolf Kanno
04-14-2016, 07:56 AM
Probably Vagrant Story. Although that game may have only seemed complicated due to the fact that the game explained nothing about itself :p

I would argue that the rabbit hole that is the game's mechanics go far deeper than you can imagine. The crafting system and deeper elements of the combat system certainly make it one of the more intricate games under Matsuno's belt.

It's also the game I'm choosing.

Pete for President
04-14-2016, 09:15 AM

I would argue that the rabbit hole that is the game's mechanics go far deeper than you can imagine. The crafting system and deeper elements of the combat system certainly make it one of the more intricate games under Matsuno's belt.

It's also the game I'm choosing.

The first time I attempted to play through this game (age 14 at the time I believe) I had absolutely no idea about weapon affinities and how they change depending on what type of enemy you use them on. I think I used the same weapon for every enemy type and was never able to get even close to finishing at that time!

My vote goes to DOTA 2; stacking, pulling, jungling, camp blocking, warding, 100+ heroes with 4 abilities each that you are at least supposed to know what they roughly do and what role each hero fulfils, item timings, their functionalities and making the proper item choice depending on the enemy teams items and abilities; the list goes on. All in a 5 vs 5 pvp environment with games lasting anywhere between 30 and 55 minutes. This game makes me sweat and it requires 100% of my focus and attention throughout. It's extremely challenging and it can be both very disappointing and very rewarding at times.

Bubba
04-14-2016, 10:08 AM
Honestly, I couldn't get my head around Horace Goes Skiing on the Spectrum.

The basic premise of the game is that you have to go to the shops and buy some skis. Once you've done that, you can get to play the main game which is a very enjoyable, if simplistic skiing sim.

This is all fine until you realise the lengths in which Horace goes to acquire his skis. This game was released in the 1980s so the Internet wasn't a thing which means he couldn't nip onto www.snowfit.com (http://www.snowfit.com) and place on order. I'll tell you what was a thing in the 1980s though... mail order. Seriously Horace, by far the easiest way.

Horace instead chooses to buy his skis from a shop. Now, I don't have a problem with this as it was the most common method of purchasing items 30 years ago. The problem I have is that he chooses a ski store in which he has to cross eight lanes of traffic. What method does Horace employ to try and cross this ridiculously busy road? He waits for a gap then RUNS LIKE A MADMAN ACROSS EIGHT LANES OF TRAFFIC. I don't understand... Surely if he walks along the side of the road for a while he'll find a safe crossing point? It might take a bit longer but damn it man, it's safer! Failing that just find another store, dude.

This is the most complicated and dangerous method of acquiring skis I've ever seen. Even as a child I remember questioning the stupidity of his actions.

Pete for President
04-14-2016, 11:20 AM
I totally forgot about Magic: The Gathering! That takes the cake. Love it though!

Thread didn't specify it had to be a videogame ok? :shifty:

Fynn
04-14-2016, 11:28 AM
I totally forgot about Magic: The Gathering! That takes the cake. Love it though!

Thread didn't specify it had to be a videogame ok? :shifty:

I'd disagree. The basic rules of the game are very simple. The cards themselves just add new stuff to keep things fresh and interesting, but on a fundamental level, i wouldn't say the game is complicated

sinuosity
04-14-2016, 11:48 AM
Magic's pretty complicated if you learn it properly. Turn structure and phases can be pretty tricky.

That, and the whole layers concept, which hardly anyone ever learns. (Layers refers to the mechanic that sorts out what prevails when two or more effects are contradictory)

Pumpkin
04-14-2016, 01:16 PM
Knights in Nightmare comes to mind; I beat it and still have barely any idea what the hell is going on.

This gameplay wise, storywise probably Xenogears. While it isn't to the point that I don't understand it, it took a lot of extracurricular reading on my part to fully comprehend everything

sharkythesharkdogg
04-14-2016, 01:38 PM

This gameplay wise, storywise probably Xenogears. While it isn't to the point that I don't understand it, it took a lot of extracurricular reading on my part to fully comprehend everything

I came here to see if you mentioned Knights in the Nightmare or Xenogears, and was not surprised.

Pike
04-14-2016, 04:31 PM
Probably Victoria II. 167 hours in it according to Steam and I still don't know all its ins and outs. (That's why it's so great, though.)

Bonus points for Dwarf Fortress and SMAC.

Freya
04-14-2016, 04:43 PM
Eve online is pretty complicated.

Formalhaut
04-14-2016, 05:00 PM
Any MMO ever seems horribly complicated in my opinion.

theundeadhero
04-14-2016, 05:23 PM
ET on Atari. Where am I supposed to go? How do I win? Why does his neck get longer when I push the button? Seriously.

Formalhaut
04-14-2016, 05:49 PM
ET on Atari. Where am I supposed to go? How do I win? Why does his neck get longer when I push the button? Seriously.

You sure that's his neck? ;)

Karifean
04-14-2016, 06:17 PM
Storyline-wise, it's gotta be Umineko. It's complicated and may seem incomprehensible at times, but underneath the superficial confusion lies a really, really well constructed and layered story with superb integrity and consistency. And it's not handed to you, you have to put in the effort to understand it yourself. But once you have the full picture it's simply beautiful.

Gameplay-wise I might have to go with Dark Chronicle, not necessarily because any individual aspects are complicated, but more because at some point I suddenly felt like I had a million things to do and nothing to start with.

Fynn
04-14-2016, 06:22 PM
Oh yeah, story-wise, Pillars of Eternity is pretty complicated

Spuuky
04-14-2016, 07:38 PM
Mechanics wise, I'm going to say Risen. How you swung your weapon or blocked or whatever was based on your mouse movement. And not to mention the beginning was really hard too and it being a few hours until you got a proper tutorial.And Risen is just a lesser version of Gothic. Oh well!

The most complicated game I have played is Antichamber.

gau
04-22-2016, 03:26 PM
For me it is X3, either the Terran Conflict or Albion Prelude.

I think I've played it for about 100 hours, and it felt like I was just getting into the midgame parts.

I quit and haven't played it since to save my sanity. :lol:

And reading this thread makes me want to play Vagrant Story...

Madame Adequate
04-22-2016, 08:57 PM
Aurora, without a doubt.

http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=Index_of_Topics

This is what it looks like, when there are any graphics at all: http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/images/5/50/System_map.PNG

This is what a ship looks like: http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/images/c/c6/Class_Design.png

Want to build a ship in Aurora?

Well first you need to research the principles underlying your intended components - engine tech, for example. Then you design the component. Then you research the component. Then you design the ship. Then you tool a shipyard of appropriate size for building the ship. Then you build the ship. Then you have to keep the ship supplied, fueled, and maintained - most given ships will spend a third of their life in dock undergoing maintenance, and that's assuming they don't sustain battle damage.

Also you don't just research "Missile tech" or something, oh no. Want to fire a missile, here's what you need;

A Missile Engine, which itself requires
Engine Technology, which is in turn dependent on
Reactor Technology
Missile Agility Technology
Missile Explosive Type
The actual missile design
Missile Launcher Reload Rate
A missile launcher component
Missile Magazine Feed System Efficiency
Magazine Ejection Chance
A missile magazine component
An active sensor component, which requires
Active Sensor Strength
EM Sensor Strength
A missile fire control component (which also requires the above two techs)

That's the mandatory stuff, of course, nothing there about say Reduced Size Missile Launchers or ECCM for your sensors. You'll also want (but don't strictly need) passive sensors so you can see the enemy ships and know when to turn on your actives, as actives light you up like a Christmas tree and make you pretty vulnerable.

That's all saying nothing of the various other components your ship needs or wants. Shielding, engines, jump drives, stealth functionality, armor, crew areas, repair units, etc. etc. etc.

Aurora is a Good Game.

Loony BoB
04-29-2016, 12:37 PM
Dwarf Fortress was the first one to spring to mind, Civ IV with all the expansions can be complicated to some degree as well.

FFXIV is up there, too.

Getting a custom mudpack with 100+ mods to work in Minecraft is a complex task, too.

EDIT: Oh, and Football Manager can be sort of complicated. xD

Rocket Edge
04-29-2016, 01:52 PM
Yeah FFXIV.

To play efficiently, Tekken.

Depression Moon
04-30-2016, 01:49 AM
I have no idea how to play Aerobiz for SNES.