PDA

View Full Version : Metal Gear Thread 2016

Wolf Kanno
04-14-2016, 04:10 AM
So we've all had some time to digest and reflect on MGSV, Kojima is gone, Hayter has said he wouldn't really work with Kojima again, Konami is still planning to make another MGS game despite fans hating them, and Solid Sanke has been reduced to doing car commercials:

Dgwu2Byjx-Q

So let us have a discussion about one of gamings major darlings whose future is uncertain.

What are your favorite entries, characters, game mechanics, and endings. Discuss.

blackmage_nuke
04-14-2016, 12:14 PM
That was painful to watch.

MGS1 I think still remains my favorite, followed by MGS3 then MGS5 I wish there were more indoor sections in the recent mgs's I think I prefer when everything on the map was at 45 degree angles. I think I might have liked MGS4 a lot if I played it when it first came out but it took me forever to get a ps3 so when i finally did play it the anticipation had worn off. MGSV had the best mechanics I think, so many options on how to handle things and a buddy system I don't resent. I'd love to play MGS1 again with MGSV mechanics. It was a shame to see the codec system die at MGS4, I know the L1 for intel is a lot more streamlined but I liked having a large support group i could call and chat about every situation and every item i was holding. It wouldve been cool if you could choose from a variety of handlers from the IDroid and then use L1 to get them to talk to you or something.

Cyborg Ninja from MGS1 is probably my favourite character.

I also liked Nastasha Romanenko and im disappointed she didn't make any cameo appearances.

Fox
04-14-2016, 01:05 PM
I quite liked that Ford commercial. They captured the Metal Gear-ness of it quite well.

Um, I kinda just want modern remakes of MG1, 2 and MGS1. All with David Hayter thank you very much. I'm kinda glad Kojima won't be working on Metal Gear anymore, as much as I respect him as a designer I really didn't like the direction that 5 took in particular, and even 4 wasn't exactly my favourite.

Sephex
04-14-2016, 01:08 PM
Deep into break so I have to be brief. Here are some short thoughts.

MGS3 is my favorite game of the series by far.

Despite the BS behind MGSV and that it wasn't truly finished, I still loved the game mechanics tons.

I enjoyed MGS4 mainly for the gameplay, but I really wish it didn't get so linear at the end.

MGS2 gets dumped on way too much. That game has brilliant level design and the Big Shell is fun. Sorry guys, ALL MGS games have cornball dialogue and ridiculous cut scenes. Stop pretending like this is the only one that took it too far just because Raiden's codec stuff with Rose was awkward.

The original MGS is still a masterpiece. I wish they would do a proper remake of it. Just up the visuals and don't include stuff like Snake kick flipping a missile as he punched Big Bird to death.

Overall I love the series despite the faults and have fun playing through the saga and some side games to this day!

Pumpkin
04-14-2016, 01:18 PM
I have never played an MGS game but I would like to watch sharky play one some day. I did try like 5 minutes of one but I am gosh awful at sneaking games

Slothy
04-14-2016, 04:01 PM
I haven't played MGSV (aside from their expensive little demo they released first which was kind of cool but didn't blow me away) so keep that in mind.

MGS3 is definitely the most impressive game out of the others on a lot of levels, and probably the best technically, but MGS1 is still the best in the series for me. It's got enough interesting little tricks and easter eggs in it to be interesting without suffering the bloat the series started to feel later. It also just plays beautifully and doesn't weigh itself down with so many game mechanics that can make parts of the later games an annoying mess sometimes. MGS3 was just teetering on the edge of that when it came out but I feel like after that it was just downhill into a mess of cumbersome controls and gameplay mechanics that occasionally get in the way more than they add to anything. MGS1 is simpler, it's streamlined, and it's an utter joy to just sit down and play it. Honestly, I think the simpler mechanics serve it well by letting you just slip into the proverbial zone and enjoy things. In fact, I'd probably even rate VR Missions higher than things like MGS4 because of that.

Del Murder
04-15-2016, 05:47 PM
I'm going to start MGS5 soon and I'm excited because I hear it's great.

My favorite to play is MGS3. The eating part of it is somehow really fun. It also has the second best story. MGS1 has the best story and one of the best of any video game. MGS2 is probably my least favorite just because the story takes a turn for the bizarre, even for this series. MGS4 does a decent job trying to tie all this nonsense together but I didn't really like the focus on getting a bunch of weapons since I usually just rely on the tranq gun and sneaking.

Psychotic
04-15-2016, 05:56 PM
Hmm... my rankings would be MGS3 > MGS5 > MGS > MGS2 > MGS PW > MGS4. I don't know what to expect with Kojima gone.

Forsaken Lover
04-15-2016, 06:04 PM
Metal Gear Solid - The best of both worlds. It has a very intriguing plot like 2 with deep themes while also possessing the emotional weight of 3.
Metal Gear Solid 2 - Sags a bit under the weight of its own ambition, 9/11 and being rushed. Still amazing and one of the most profound gaming experiences of my life.
Metal Gear Solid 3 - A fun, but not very deep, game. Has a lot of funny moments.

Metal Gear Solid 4: My s;worn enemy and what; ended; my interest in the franchise. Laughing Octopus and Screaming Mantis are hot.

Honorable Mention: Portable Ops for Genes Theme and Calling to the Night.
PXkgn3QUA2w

Wolf Kanno
04-15-2016, 09:07 PM
MGSV is a really cool if a bit trippy game. While I was a bit taken back by the lack of the usual cutscene heavy story, lack of a quirky backup squad, the usual brilliant boss battles of the series; the core gameplay changes really make it one of the most fun entries for me. The ending was also pretty cool, even if it did come out of nowhere. It certainly has the best opening sequence in the series and I would argue it was a great swan song for the franchise, much better than MGS4 despite having a few similar issues with overusing a certain piece of tech to hand wave all the supernatural stuff in the game.

I have a feeling this will be one of those entries where we'll still be digging up easter eggs and other elements for years to come. It's incomplete nature almost feels intentional and I've read some pretty convincing arguments supporting this theory.

In terms of overall quality, MGS3 is still my favorite. I feel MGS2 is more relevant now than it was when it was released, MGS1's gameplay hasn't aged as well for me but it's easily my number 2, though it's story and characters may be the best in the franchise.

MGS4 has joined FFX as one of those games I learn to dislike a little bit more with each new playthrough. It just tries to do too much with the story when it really didn't have to, and the gameplay changes never set well with me.

I've been warming up to Peace Walker a bit more, thanks to MGSV I feel. Ground Zeroes was still innovative and provocative but I stand by my belief that it should not have been released the way it was.

Mirage
04-16-2016, 09:26 AM
I'm going to start MGS5 soon and I'm excited because I hear it's great.

My favorite to play is MGS3. The eating part of it is somehow really fun. It also has the second best story. MGS1 has the best story and one of the best of any video game. MGS2 is probably my least favorite just because the story takes a turn for the bizarre, even for this series. MGS4 does a decent job trying to tie all this nonsense together but I didn't really like the focus on getting a bunch of weapons since I usually just rely on the tranq gun and sneaking.

The bizarre story is what i like the most about it. In fact, it's one of the reasons I rate it my second favourite MGS.

And uh... I guess this is one of those unusual cases where I agree with FL again. When I first played it, it blew me utterly away. The experience i got during the first playthrough rivals most RPG experiences I've had.

MGS3 probably made me more emotional, but it didn't have a lot of really bizarre shit, and i really like bizarre shit. I really enjoy mindfucks.

Wolf Kanno
04-16-2016, 09:44 AM
MGS2 does have an interesting story, I just wish I didn't have to put up with Rose and Raiden's crappy relationship when neither of them have any chemistry together. I also could have done without the whole "this is what is going on","NO! this is what is really going on" story fatigue at the end. I feel it's largely responsible for why people feel the plot is confusing since it has so many damn red herrings revealed in rapid succession.

On the brightside, I do feel that MGS2's themes have gotten more relevant as time has moved forward, which makes replays quite a treat. It's been received better in the last few years, probably because MGS4 has kind of taken it's place as the black sheep entry, though some may argue MGSV is more deserving of that title.

Pete for President
04-16-2016, 11:42 AM
I'm with Vivi22, MGS is still my favourite followed up by mgs3. The pacing in 1 is phenomenal, it does an amazing job breaking the fourth wall and it still plays smoothly to this day. With every entry after that controls became more cluttered and i really dont see why the series went away from the auto-aim to first person mode aiming to take someone out. 3 was fairly balanced in terms of having complicated controls but still making me feel like a really skilled soldier, but 2 and 4 just make me feel like a clumsy one.

4 really blew me away when it came out but like WK i enjoyed it less and less with each plahthrough. I respect some of the ballsy choices they made though; making Snake old is an awesome idea, and letting us fight RAY with REX blew all my expectations at the time.

However the biggest problems i have with this entry is that all "good" characters get a happy ending. I think Snake killing himself would have made a much bigger impact, Raiden should have died or lost both his arms permanently, Johnny and Meryl should have given their lives defending the corridor. There is no sense of loss and therefor no sense of threat. Mgs had meryl potentially dying, Grey Fox sacrificing himself, mgs3 had the boss and sokolov meeting their ends, i felt like 4 played too nice in this department.

Gotta give 3 lots of props for the amount of freedom to take on any situation. Right now i am playing through this game and i basically run a maniac playthrough using only the knife, 'nades and snakes to stealth kill everybody. Its so much fun! There's so many secret things too from interrogating guards to throwing snakes at Sokolov. It's great! Also the
End is one of my favourite boss battles ever.

Edit: forgot to mention 2. I like it more now than when it first came out. The whole conspiracy about information control i find very plausible. The soundtrack is also great. The tanker part is fantastic. The boss squad is the weakest in the series imo. Mind that i have not played peace walker nor V.

Slothy
04-16-2016, 01:00 PM
Raiden should have died or lost both his arms permanently

I disagree but only because metal great rising is awesome and he needs to be alive and have both arms for 98% of that game to work.

Sephex
04-16-2016, 10:46 PM
Raiden should have died or lost both his arms permanently

I disagree but only because metal great rising is awesome and he needs to be alive and have both arms for 98% of that game to work.

I suddenly want a heavy action game where you play as a dude with no arms.

Slothy
04-16-2016, 11:29 PM
That would be awesome to be fair. Maybe there should have been a level with Raiden using his feet and teeth to hold his sword.

Sephex
04-17-2016, 04:25 AM
That would be awesome to be fair. Maybe there should have been a level with Raiden using his feet and teeth to hold his sword.

The game could be called "Disarmed And Dangerous" or something.

Forsaken Lover
04-17-2016, 05:28 AM
Also I still think MGS1 had the best OST.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPISnnLhnhI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=synBp17IGfo - I love that Rex's Lair is like some straight-up RPG final dungeon theme. Tell me it doesn't sound like you're storming the Doom Fortress as the world is about to end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4UspBs3DGQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMasLUmBzkc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv3gyq2f3Xo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6miaTf1gF4g

Also while Kojima's writing has its issues, this is a legitimately great exchange.

Otacon: Snake. What was she fighting for? What am I fighting for? What are you fighting for?

Solid Snake: If we make it through this I'll tell you.

Otacon: Okay. I'll be searching too.

sharkythesharkdogg
04-18-2016, 01:14 PM
MSG3 is my favorite, but it did not impact me as hard as when I first played MSG1.

It's just held up better over time. Harry Gregson-Williams working on a lot of the sound track never hurts, and finally getting to see The Boss and that background story is just tough to beat.

I do still think MSG1 has the best integrated cinematics, and did the best job making me feel like I was in an interactive espionage movie.

MSG2 is actually a very solid game, and also holds up well.

I haven't played MSG5, and right now MSG4 is a distant last place. I just didn't like it as much as the others.

blackmage_nuke
04-19-2016, 04:13 PM
I'd also like to note for some reason I didn't like hunting for food MGS3 (Maybe because I never knew how much food to collect and save for later) but I loved capturing animals for my menagerie in MGS5 and wish there were more varieties.

Wolf Kanno
04-19-2016, 07:44 PM
Found this fun gem. For people who need a refresher course on MGS4...

7kNrIn8H32c

Mirage
04-19-2016, 07:49 PM
100% accurate

Pete for President
05-03-2016, 09:13 AM
Just beat the End in MGS3. Still one of my favourite bosses in any game!

Wolf Kanno
05-03-2016, 09:44 AM
The End, when fought in a fair sniper duel is still one of the best sniper battles in the series bar none. Though Sniper Wolf is my other favorite.

Old Manus
05-03-2016, 01:17 PM
The original MGS is my favourite one, though I think it comes behind MGS3 in terms of technically how good the game is. It's hard to overstate just how much of an effect the original had on future action games. I personally think cutscenes like (https://youtu.be/18UJGzZhv_M?t=12) this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxNHjlnrLmo) still hold up today. I just wish it was a bit longer and had less Resident Evil-style plodding around at the end of the game.

If MGS3 was the zenith, the fourth was where I lost interest. I seem to remember being one of the few on these boards who wasn't a big fan of it at the time, though it appears the general sentiment has gone the same way over the years. It was a very fun game to play, but that was about it. The plot started off farfetched and became increasingly ridiculous as the game continued, with central plot points around which previous games based themselves being contradicted or handwaved with 'muh nanomachines' in single sentences before moving onto something else. The 'stealth' bit was thrown out of the window, more included as a 'yeah I suppose you could sneak through this area, but DON'T YOU WANT TO CAP SOME FOOLS? HERE IS A LIGHT MACHINE GUN' kind of thing. The character of Snake also completed its flanderisation from James-Bond-meets-John-McClane badass (https://youtu.be/2N8Ol4iLGAc?t=167) to complete wimp (https://youtu.be/9O4rf1hZidk?t=312).

I haven't played MGS5, and actually haven't heard much about it.

sharkythesharkdogg
05-03-2016, 02:03 PM
The original MGS is my favourite one, though I think it comes behind MGS3 in terms of technically how good the game is. It's hard to overstate just how much of an effect the original had on future action games. I personally think cutscenes like (https://youtu.be/18UJGzZhv_M?t=12) this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxNHjlnrLmo) still hold up today. I just wish it was a bit longer and had less Resident Evil-style plodding around at the end of the game.

If MGS3 was the zenith, the fourth was where I lost interest. I seem to remember being one of the few on these boards who wasn't a big fan of it at the time, though it appears the general sentiment has gone the same way over the years. It was a very fun game to play, but that was about it. The plot started off farfetched and became increasingly ridiculous as the game continued, with central plot points around which previous games based themselves being contradicted or handwaved with 'muh nanomachines' in single sentences before moving onto something else. The 'stealth' bit was thrown out of the window, more included as a 'yeah I suppose you could sneak through this area, but DON'T YOU WANT TO CAP SOME FOOLS? HERE IS A LIGHT MACHINE GUN' kind of thing. The character of Snake also completed its flanderisation from James-Bond-meets-John-McClane badass (https://youtu.be/2N8Ol4iLGAc?t=167) to complete wimp (https://youtu.be/9O4rf1hZidk?t=312).

I haven't played MGS5, and actually haven't heard much about it.

As much as a I like MGS2, it's what laid the ground work for the ridiculous story that is MGS4. Over the years the series story has gone from pseudo-futuristic, cold war, science fiction to a very murky and difficult to follow story about shadow groups within shadow groups. Also nanomachines.

I've actually heard lots of good things about MGS5, but I haven't played it at all.

Slothy
05-03-2016, 04:04 PM
Yeah MGS2 really is where the near future aspects of the series went totally off the rails. There are some decent story elements in there but it gets bogged down by one attempt after another to outdo a previous plot twist. By the end you get three or four explanations of what happened and why and none of them really make a lot of sense, especially when you play it for the first time and try to sort through all of that garbage. But MGS 4 kind of takes that and rather than clearing out all up in a way that makes sense it bends over backwards to explain things that didn't need explaining (vamps abilities) and bandages) hand waves everything else as nanomachines. Shame too since i like the gameplay in many ways, even if they really fell short of every promise they made during development and the last three acts, while they have their moments, are a clear downgrade in terms of gameplay from the first two.

Wolf Kanno
05-03-2016, 07:02 PM
After reading some theories and replaying the game a few more times, I really appreciate what MGS2 tried to do, and I do believe it when Kojima said it was meant to be "the last one". While I don't necessarily believe in the VR Theory (http://metagearsolid.org/reports_vr_theory_1.html), I would agree that the message that proponents of the theory state were most likely Kojima's intentions for the game's message. The game being designed as a shallow sequel that largely copy and pastes the original being a commentary on the practice seen in the game/film industry, Raiden is a surrogate for the player, the strong message against games that glorify violence, and the central message of "think for yourself, and don't just wait for others to give you the answer" pretty much hold true whether you take the events as literal or figuratively.

It's why it becomes less surprising that MGS3 was a prequel instead of a sequel, because MGS2 was probably never meant to have one. So MGS4's plot mostly sucked because the staff was trying to write themselves out of a corner and just didn't care. It's why articles like these popped up (http://www.metagearsolid.org/reports_mgs4_soldout_1.html) and frankly I can almost see them having some truth to it, though I also feel it's just fan wank trying to defend a designer they've elevated to godhood, not realizing Kojima doesn't really like them either. Yeah, MGS4 was kind of a crappy ending to the series, which is probably why the even MGSV tries to soften the blow a bit more.

For those who haven't experienced MGSV yet, it's a very solid game. In many ways, it's the antithesis of MGS4, being largely game focused and the story is presented in a very minimalist and bare bones way. In fact if you've been watching most of the trailers, you've most likely seen all of the cutscenes in the game, most of the story is told through the audio tapes you can listen to while playing. The plot has some of it's own crappy hand wave elements but doesn't dwell on them as much as MGS4 did. Truth be told, the plot is actually fairly good and while some people hate the ending (and it's presentation) I actually really enjoyed it. It's probably one of the more ingenious plot twists in the series only behind the Raiden one.

Gameplay-wise, it's a fantastic game, probably my favorite in the series despite being completely different from previous installments.

Pete for President
05-04-2016, 10:37 AM
The End, when fought in a fair sniper duel is still one of the best sniper battles in the series bar none. Though Sniper Wolf is my other favorite.

Apparently I forgot to save and had to fight the End again.

I just love the scope of this boss; it covers 3 areas, it's 1v1, and there's so many tricks both parties can pull (and not all of them can be found on the wiki's/guides). I.E. I was in first person view and killed a frog with a knife. This caused the End to spawn right behind me (literally at my feet) when exiting first person view and shoot me point blank. They do say he is "in touch with the forest" after all.

Hunting him down and sneaking up behind him is my favourite strategy. Today I tried throwing live snakes at him but they won't bite him. One of my favourite things is to sneak up on his hiding spot and place claymores in the directions he can escape to. After shooting him point blank he will run into the mines, giving you extra follow-up damage and more time to chase him.

I wonder if you can plant TNT on him. And is it possible to CQC him? I need to do more testing!

Edit: apparently using the fake death pill causes him to come close to you and see if you're alive.

Wolf Kanno
05-04-2016, 10:49 AM
I believe you can CQC him, though it's more of the body throws than interrogation kind. I don't think there is a human boss in the game you can't counter their moves and use CQC on them.

Pete for President
05-04-2016, 10:41 PM
I believe you can CQC him, though it's more of the body throws than interrogation kind. I don't think there is a human boss in the game you can't counter their moves and use CQC on them.

I think both Ocelot and the Pain are not CQC-able due to them being on an unreachable platform ;)

I watched a part of a speedrun today and the way this guy beats the Fear is amazing (fast forward to 20:00): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET6KJ9P46ac
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET6KJ9P46ac)

blackmage_nuke
05-04-2016, 10:48 PM
I personally think cutscenes like (https://youtu.be/18UJGzZhv_M?t=12) this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxNHjlnrLmo) still hold up today.

I went back to watch the rest of those guys videos because I thought that Hind D joke was pretty good only to find them disappointing besides the codec editing

Pete for President
05-12-2016, 10:31 PM
The Fury is also one hell of a boss. I like to beat him up with the knife!

I Took the Red Pill
05-13-2016, 02:11 AM

I think both Ocelot and the Pain are not CQC-able due to them being on an unreachable platform ;)

I watched a part of a speedrun today and the way this guy beats the Fear is amazing (fast forward to 20:00): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET6KJ9P46ac
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET6KJ9P46ac)What actually happened there? I understand he used the fake death pill then threw a stun grenade, but I can't understand wtf happened after that. How did he get the stamina kill so fast? Did the booby trap take him out?

Psychotic
05-13-2016, 07:50 AM
Causing physical damage to The Fear while he's stunned hits his Stamina gauge. I've never seen it done that way - looks like the traps and CQC took him out. I instead just stand up and unload a round of the AK into him and that's enough to get a quick stamina kill too - and it's easier as you don't need to go to a specific place. He also stands up before I do, if you let the Fear speak for two more seconds he turns his back on you.

MGS3 is the only game I've speed run and I actually don't even know or remember how to fight The Fear without doing this.

Sephex
05-13-2016, 03:02 PM
Causing physical damage to The Fear while he's stunned hits his Stamina gauge. I've never seen it done that way - looks like the traps and CQC took him out. I instead just stand up and unload a round of the AK into him and that's enough to get a quick stamina kill too - and it's easier as you don't need to go to a specific place. He also stands up before I do, if you let the Fear speak for two more seconds he turns his back on you.

MGS3 is the only game I've speed run and I actually don't even know or remember how to fight The Fear without doing this.

Shoot at him until he dies.

Old Manus
05-13-2016, 03:17 PM
Shoot at him until he dies. That's what I've been doing wrong all these years...

krissy
05-14-2016, 05:14 PM
you're thinking of the cyberdemon

speaking of cyberdemons, i am going to start metal gear revengance very soon and i hear it's a lot of fun even if it's not one of the main ones. is this true?

Sephex
05-15-2016, 05:43 PM
Shoot at him until he dies. That's what I've been doing wrong all these years...

I know. That Kojima is a tricky bastard.

Psychotic
05-15-2016, 06:22 PM

Shoot at him until he dies.http://i.imgur.com/t9Kkt8h.jpg

Pete for President
05-23-2016, 09:24 PM
So I just beat the Shagohod and this is by far the least exciting actual Metal Gear fight imo. I never get the idea this thing is a real threat in the fight. I also don't get why the arena is so plain and boring. They had all these cool cutscenes of the Shagohod plowing through tanks and buildings but then when you fight him there's nothing there but a muddy field. Imo it would've been cooler to fight him in the Groznyj's main wing, making use of the terrain to get behind the Shagohod. Lost potential.

I also never really liked the escorting part and I never bother trying stealth because Eva has the reflexes of a pancake.

Slothy
05-24-2016, 01:24 AM
As far as Shagohod not feeling like a threat, it is meant to be a nuclear equipped, highly mobile tank. That doesn't lend itself to being the best anti-infantry hardware out there.

Wolf Kanno
05-24-2016, 07:59 AM
Frankly REX was the only decent Metal Gear battle in the series. The first one was more of a puzzle, the second one went down fairly quickly with a grenade launcher, Ray was a bit too simple and the sheer volume of them called for it to be a more simple fight than it should. Shaghod is fairly easy and boring, the REX Vs RAY fight is pure fanservice and the less said about the PSP entries the better.

Only REX really hit that nice balance of being simple in strategy to beat but you also had to be on your toes cause one wrong move would get you killed.

blackmage_nuke
05-24-2016, 09:12 AM
I thought the Metal Gear Zeke battle in Peace Walker was pretty fun but I might have been caught up with the song

Pete for President
05-24-2016, 09:49 AM
As far as Shagohod not feeling like a threat, it is meant to be a nuclear equipped, highly mobile tank. That doesn't lend itself to being the best anti-infantry hardware out there.

I can see the logic but it still makes for an uninteresting boss fight imo. MGS can go over the top in many ways with great success, but the creativity is lacking in this fight.

Frankly REX was the only decent Metal Gear battle in the series. The first one was more of a puzzle, the second one went down fairly quickly with a grenade launcher, Ray was a bit too simple and the sheer volume of them called for it to be a more simple fight than it should. Shaghod is fairly easy and boring, the REX Vs RAY fight is pure fanservice and the less said about the PSP entries the better.

Only REX really hit that nice balance of being simple in strategy to beat but you also had to be on your toes cause one wrong move would get you killed.

I agree REX is the best Metal Gear fight (although I haven't played any portable games or the old school titles).

Pete for President
05-26-2016, 12:47 AM
So I beat MGS3 the other night and managed to beat the Boss with CQC only for the first time, something I was never able to do last time I actively played the game about 10 years ago.

About the escorting part; I also don't get why Eva is limping around even though we cured her and after we climb the final ledge she actually runs off to the WIG.

Slothy
05-26-2016, 01:23 AM
It's been way too long since I played MGS3 for me to even guess at why she was limping. I should play through the game again sometime.

Wolf Kanno
05-26-2016, 01:30 AM
There was a motorcycle accident that ended with her getting impaled in the gut by a tree branch. The rest I would assume is either gameplay and story segregation or she was faking it to screw with you, which knowing EVA...

Forsaken Lover
05-31-2016, 11:43 PM
File it in the same category as Meryl being able to run a few hours after having both her knees blown out by sniper fire and able to drive a car after her arm was also shot.

Old Manus
06-01-2016, 11:56 AM
File it in the same category as Meryl being able to run a few hours after having both her knees blown out by sniper fire and able to drive a car after her arm was also shot.nanomachines

Ayen
06-07-2016, 06:51 AM
MGS1 (PSX) is still my favorite with MGS2 following immediately after. MGS3 never really resonated with me as much, but I did like the game and all the different camo and stuff you could do. I used to put the Raiden mask on and pretend to be him for lulz.

I'm not sure if there's really anywhere for the series to go at this point outside of remaking the first three games. I don't trust it in the hands of Konami, and I don't want Kojima to be stuck with the IP again because I want him to finally be free to do his own thing. I'd be perfectly happy for the series to end with 5, since I was perfectly happy to let it end with 4.

And if I knew what I know sooner I would've been happy to let it end with 3.

Forsaken Lover
06-09-2016, 11:44 AM
You know who's pretty cool?

tNL_76gaCI4

Seems many agree he was the last good MGS villain.

Portable Ops wasn't that great but it had several good ideas and Gene was one of them. Also god this theme is one of the best in the series, as is this.
T5XCIfLVqjw

Zanmato
06-09-2016, 02:55 PM
MGS 3... so many memories! That was the first game heavily focused on telling the story in my gaming life. It's a perfect mix of stealth-based gameplay with action-packed moments.
I also love it due to easter eggs and references to many franchises.
This is one of my favorite and one of the best video games! :love:

Wolf Kanno
06-10-2016, 11:03 PM
You know who's pretty cool?

tNL_76gaCI4

Seems many agree he was the last good MGS villain.

Portable Ops wasn't that great but it had several good ideas and Gene was one of them. Also god this theme is one of the best in the series, as is this.
T5XCIfLVqjw

Eh... while I love his VA (Steve Blum aka Spike Speigel and Roger Smith) I just didn't like the idea of Big Boss fighting an expy of himself. Except for his rather childish reasons for screwing over Big Boss and MSF, I actually rather enjoyed Skullface as the last great villain.

I do agree that Portable OPS gets a lot of undo flak from the fanbase. The game had some pretty cool ideas and its cast was rather enjoyable even if I really hated what they did to Grey Fox.

Forsaken Lover
06-11-2016, 01:11 AM
I was mostly annoyed that they revived Sokolov for no friggin' reason.

Wolf Kanno
06-11-2016, 05:21 AM
I was mostly annoyed that they revived Sokolov for no friggin' reason.

Yeah, that was a pretty bad retcon, especially since you actually hear him die in MGS3.

Forsaken Lover
06-13-2016, 08:26 AM
So I've been involved in so much Metal Gear talk as of late and it made me realize something. It has been eight years since MGS4 came out and I....I don't hate it anymore. Or rather, it's like my burning hatred has mellowed into dispassionate disdain. I still wish wholeheartedly that the series had ended with Snake Eater but I can now appreciate the IDEAS behind MGS4, even if I don't much care for the execution.

Like, the MGS3 support crew founding The Patriots? Sure, why not. Somebody had to have made the AI. The idea of this "background civil war" going back to the original Metal Gear games is pretty interesting. HOWEVER, the "human" Patriots are either vegetables or dead. The real villain of the MGS series, which obviously includes 4, are the Patriot AIs. We had a whole talk with them at the end of Sons of Liberty where it was made abundantly clear they are the real power here, not Solidus or Ocelot and certainly not Liquid Ocelot. YET WE DON'T HAVE A SINGLE LINE FROM THEM ALL THROUGHOUT MGS4. They're the real villains of the game, they're behind the war economy and SOP, but they never speak a damned word. They're just there, then Sunny kills them, the end.

Where was my awesomely creepy codec like in MGS2? Hell, you don't even need a codec! They could have done some awesome visual thing with them talking to Snake, trying to convince him of their necessity and power. But nope. In fact, and this touches on a point I will address in a minute, MGS4 really tries to downplay them. MGS2 was not in the least bit subtle that these were malevolent machines who viewed themselves as overlords over all humanity. IIRC, Big Boss' epic retcon monologue tries to brush this all away as a bug or glitch. As in, they weren't sentient or sapient, they were just coded wrongly or something.

And now to that point I just mentioned. So many people back when GOTP came out said that it "fixed" MGS2. Oh it tried to fix it, that is beyond doubt. It tried to retcon everything ever in MGS2 away. Vamp can run on water or pin shadows with knives? NANOMACHINES! Now, being positive, I like the idea of "the age of heroes" passing away. No longer is it badasses or people with natural superpowers ruling the world, it's people in robo-suits or with new technology. That's kind of neat. Some people I've seen have commented on how there's so much more "magic" in Big Boss' games compared to Snake's and how that's intentional on Kojima's part. Sure, I'm fine with that. But I think Kojima came up with this idea later on because obviously there was no Big Boss' games before 3 so Kojima had to establish this "theme" fairly late. As such, we got clumsy-as-hell retcons like Vamp being a result of nanomachines instead of just a magic-man.

Also, while this obviously didn't make it into the games, Kojima's original ending of just having Snake kill himself was good. Sadly, Hideo Kojima strikes me as a really nice guy that's easy to push around. So no more Snake dying and we have to turn Raiden into a cyborg to make him "cool." Even still, I get kind of teared up when Big Boss kills Zero. Maybe it's the music or the excellent voice-acting.

What else...there's a lot of things just plain bad about the game, both conceptually and in execution. Namely Meryl/Johnny. In fact, MGS4 really is the biggest case for "Kojima has issues with women." I detest the type of people who try to say a work of fiction is a look into an author's mind. Especially when it comes to saying that author is sexist or whatever. I defended Kojima's depiction of women before MGS4 because Meryl was okay, I liked Olga and everyone liked The Boss. But MGS4? Meryl has to marry someone because she's a woman, the B&B Corps are literally the most superficial and worthless villain group in the series, Naomi's character is ruined forever, and our last shot of Mei Ling is her desperately trying to catch a bouquet. None of these things would be damning on their own but THAT'S ALL THERE IS.

But I'm forgetting why I made this post. Nice things, good things, happy things.... Oh! Old Snake. Old Snake is a good idea and actually executed fairly well. I'm pretty happy with Snake's character in MGS4. Another thing that happened around the time of MGS4 and PW was there was a huge backlash against Snake and for Big Boss. Everyone I knew started saying Big Boss was a better character. Yeah, to hell with that. I love Solid Snake in all his games, even Guns of the Patriots.

I still respect Hideo Kojima immensely. Back before MGS4 came out, I defended Kojima against a lot of hate from my fellow..."super" MGS fans. The kind who thought MGS2 was a brilliant masterpiece and MGS3 was superficial garbage. (I've relaxed that view, too) They all said Kojima had sold out and they had no faith in MGS4 being good. I felt for a long time that they had been right and I had been wrong but these days, I choose to remember my love for Kojima rather than his failings. Because, as I said, a lot of it seems like the fault of others combined with Kojima just not having that forceful of personality. Perhaps years working in the soul-crushing machine that is Konami did it to him.

But here's to you, Mr. Kojima.

355Fk8drgZE

Learning that Gloria is a song in MGSV makes me realize that you and I are kindred spirits. Your love for the 80s extends to music as well as to movies and fashion. I love all those things, too! You are a nice and awesome dude. Now if only you could read this... Oh well.

Wolf Kanno
06-14-2016, 12:30 AM
For the most part, I can get behind your assessment. On paper, MGS4 isn't bad conceptually but the execution does leave much to be desired. Old Snake was great, FOX members being behind the Patriot A.I.'s was a shocking twist, and so forth. I think the biggest issue was just how poorly the did the doing in the wizard (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DoingInTheWizard) aspect of the series, especially since I didn't think any of it needed to be explained. Phantom Pain pretty much does the same thing to the Big Boss entries, giving more of an explanation for the Cobra Units powers, though its even more asinine than "NANOMACHINES" but I also suspect this was done on purpose to troll the fans who kept whining about MGS4.

MGS4 could have been a better experience overall, it had some good ideas, dragged some weird elements from MGS2 down to earth somewhat (as close to earth as this franchise ever gets) and it did a good job finishing up Snake's story. With that said, I'm happy Phantom Pain was the final swan song for the series. For all of its issues, it was a better farewell for the series than MGS4.

KentaRawr!
06-14-2016, 06:47 AM
What else...there's a lot of things just plain bad about the game, both conceptually and in execution. Namely Meryl/Johnny. In fact, MGS4 really is the biggest case for "Kojima has issues with women." I detest the type of people who try to say a work of fiction is a look into an author's mind. Especially when it comes to saying that author is sexist or whatever. I defended Kojima's depiction of women before MGS4 because Meryl was okay, I liked Olga and everyone liked The Boss. But MGS4? Meryl has to marry someone because she's a woman, the B&B Corps are literally the most superficial and worthless villain group in the series, Naomi's character is ruined forever, and our last shot of Mei Ling is her desperately trying to catch a bouquet. None of these things would be damning on their own but THAT'S ALL THERE IS.

On that note, Meryl's very first depiction in Policenauts had a minigame where the player would try to beat her score in the shooting range, and if they won, the player would be allowed to grab her chest. Plus you could harass the flight attendant on a plane to pass the time during a timed section. I didn't get much farther than that before playing a different game. ^^;