PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy IX is now on Steam!

Night Fury
04-14-2016, 12:13 PM
Hold onto your little pointy hats, Final Fantasy IX fans, because after months and months of promise from Square Enix that we would see beloved Final Fantasy IX on PC... It's here! Almost sixteen years since it's original release on the Sony Playstation in 2000, IX is finally back, and joins the rest of it's re-released brothers and sisters on Steam.

Get ready to celebrate and adventure once more with Zidane, Garnet, Steiner, and fan favourite Vivi as they take on another fan favourite.... Kuja! According to many Final Fantasy fans, this is the best entry in the series and if you haven't played it, this would be a great opportunity to do so as the game has had some minor updates; both graphical and for gameplay.

It's a great day to be a Final Fantasy fan! I'm sure many of you will be rushing to pick this up and relive it all again!

If the release of the game is still not quite enough to tempt you to buy it, maybe Steam's generous 20% off deal (http://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/377840/) will be! Everyone loves a bargain afterall. The deal runs until April 20th (next Wednesday) so be sure to take advantage while it's on.

Fynn
04-14-2016, 12:28 PM
Well, looks like some people have no more excuse to be missing out on this :smug:

Night Fury
04-14-2016, 12:30 PM
I might buy this.

But then again I might not, sooooooooo.

Fynn
04-14-2016, 12:31 PM
I kinda wanna buy it, but I kinda already have the PSN version on my Vita that I haven't played yet, so I'd feel bad for spending money on that ^^;

Shauna
04-14-2016, 12:32 PM
I will probably buy it because I throw money away at things.

Freya
04-14-2016, 12:41 PM
Woke up to this! Was coming to at least make a thread for a write up so thanks for doing that already haha.

I'm super excited! I've bee. waiting for it to come to steam. I avoided getting the phone version cause j wanted this version. Yay!

Night Fury
04-14-2016, 12:49 PM
Yeah I had already bought and downloaded it onto my PS3 too, so it's on my Network account already!
I also still have my PS2 and the original version soooooo..... >.>

Psychotic
04-14-2016, 01:47 PM
Finally! :excited:

Pumpkin
04-14-2016, 01:50 PM
If only my computer could run games better :(

Galuf
04-14-2016, 02:23 PM
Does it include Quina's cooking show in which Quina fights cruel beasts just to create frog soup?

Depression Moon
04-14-2016, 03:58 PM
Looks like I'll have to change my avatar and sig now. I was getting used to this Formation set. Funny that my favorite game of all time comes out on Steam on my brother's birthday who I'm currently mad at.

If only my computer could run games better :(

Yeah, I only have 1.5 GB of RAM myself. I might still buy it, but will be mad if it's incredibly slow.

Formalhaut
04-14-2016, 04:26 PM
This is good, but my laptop isn't a gaming laptop, so I'll have to check the specifications.

If not, I'll get it on PSN because Fynn hates that I've not played it yet. What are the differences between the PSN and Steam editions?

Fynn
04-14-2016, 04:28 PM
The steam version has smoothed out graphics and some additional cheat modes

Formalhaut
04-14-2016, 04:30 PM
The steam version has smoothed out graphics and some additional cheat modes

Really... :plotting:

Rantz
04-14-2016, 10:10 PM
It's a pretty nice port so far. The graphical improvements are beyond what I thought they would be. On some occasions it's a bit jarring when there's a large mismatch between the graphics that are most improved and those not updated at all, but overall the game is just a lot better looking, I think.

ATB timers are still slow, but in general the game feels snappier - especially the loading times are muuuuch better. :up:

Formalhaut
04-14-2016, 10:49 PM
I'll see what my laptop can do, then.

Fox
04-14-2016, 11:19 PM
My Kingdom for a scaled UI though. >_<

Everything else looks like a good step up from the original, but I can't stand how that battle UI covers half the screen and blocks out half your party. Especially when you're inputting commands. Just shrink it down a bit guys, get rid of the unused space...

Depression Moon
04-15-2016, 02:33 AM
Decided to download and I'm playing. The game looks rather pretty. Especially the opening FMV. Yeah, in some parts it looks like they left the background alone and it looks blurry in contrast to the characters. Some of these changes will take getting used to like the ! mark showing up whenever you talk to a person and a teta master icon if they can play with you. I also thought the run button was Square on the PS1, but it's circle here.

My pc might have some issues. It took longer than usual for the battle screen to show up against Baku and I saw some blue stripes.

On the positive side I made 80 jumps this time which I think is the highest I ever got.

Rantz
04-15-2016, 07:28 AM
On the positive side I made 80 jumps this time which I think is the highest I ever got.

I also found the jump rope and the sword fight a lot easier in this than in the original. Impressed 100 nobles on the third try, which I don't think I've ever been able to do on the PSX.

Shauna
04-15-2016, 11:13 AM
I got the Mage Masher on my first steal from Baku. Insanity.

Depression Moon
04-15-2016, 03:02 PM

I also found the jump rope and the sword fight a lot easier in this than in the original. Impressed 100 nobles on the third try, which I don't think I've ever been able to do on the PSX.
What, you got all 100? I thought that was impossible. Funnily after I did 80 jumps, on my second attempt I only made 8.

Edit: They changed some of the text in the game. The little girl in the beginning says dropped your ticket instead of dwopped.

Freya
04-16-2016, 06:41 PM
I got 100 out of 100 on my first try. dang!

Fox
04-16-2016, 10:20 PM
There are rumours that they've made the swordfight and other tricky minigames easier (such as the jump rope) in this release. I don't know how substantiated these claims are, equally likely is that everyone's simply improved since they first played the game 16 years ago!

Depression Moon
04-17-2016, 03:02 AM
There are rumours that they've made the swordfight and other tricky minigames easier (such as the jump rope) in this release. I don't know how substantiated these claims are, equally likely is that everyone's simply improved since they first played the game 16 years ago!

The last time I played was last year though and make it a mission to play at least once a year and then just a couple months ago I lost to Ingo for the first time ever in the horse race.

Can someone help me adjust to swordfight prompts in this? The game is using Xbox buttons and I'm using PlayStation so it just confuses the hell out of me and makes that trout harder. I've never done so bad.

Freya
04-17-2016, 06:23 PM
Config, controls, then custom. At least that changes the buttons. I had to switch to X and O.

DMKA
04-18-2016, 01:20 AM
Yeah, it took me exactly three tries to impress 100 nobles. Either they nerfed the difficulty or I just sucked every other time I played. :p

I like how they touched up many of the character models, very nice. Everything seems good with the exception of the backgrounds. They are awful, but no worse than they are in the PlayStation version played on a modern HD television. Shame they couldn't hunt down the original renders and replace them with nice higher res versions.

http://i.imgur.com/4aJCmC0.jpg

It really is a shame because I always felt of the three PS1 FF titles, IX had by far the most beautiful pre-rendered environments.

Depression Moon
04-18-2016, 02:51 AM
Config, controls, then custom. At least that changes the buttons. I had to switch to X and O.

Well I already had my controls customized when I started. It took me about ten tries until I could get it without missing one, but that tenth one I had to go really slow in order to get 100% and funnily enough I got 100 out the gate. They did change the ratio for getting 100 nobles. This is the worst I ever did, but I got it when every other time I nail all the QTEs with absurd speed and get 98 nobles at the most. I think SFX usage prior to that factors in too, but really the first time I've ever got 100 nobles in my dozen playthroughs.

Right now I just made it Dali and saved the game.

Depression Moon
04-27-2016, 05:59 AM
I think I just discovered a couple things that I never found in my many previous playthroughs. I never saw the extra bit of dialogue you get if you talk to the pub owner in Dali after you walk out the weapon shop after Dagger. I think in all my dozen other playthroughs I just went straight to the inn. I also never saw Dagger practicing alone in the room when you could look through the window.
I recall looking once when no one was in, but I don't think I ever did it while Garnet was already in.

Ffamran mied Bunansa
04-30-2016, 06:42 PM
My roommate who is a big FF fan, but has never beaten IX is finally playing through it! I am very excited to see his reactions to everything. I myself am playing too many games at the moment to dive in right now, but I won't wait toooo long.

Depression Moon
05-11-2016, 02:56 AM
16 years later and I'm still finding new things. I was just in Treno when I found out this game gives the characters idle animations. I was on Dr. Tot's steps when I put the controller down to browse for a little bit and then saw Garnet flip her hair. Now at Cleyra I see Zidane stretches like when he wakes up. I wonder what the others do. I think I missed my opportunities for Vivi and Steiner in this playthrough.

Depression Moon
06-20-2016, 04:04 AM
Finally beat this game!

A very different experience playing this on Steam, but I don't think I'll be playing this again until I get a new computer. I found a breadth of technical issues while I was playing this. Steiner's hand would vanish during his victory pose. On the Condie Petie Mountain Path when monsters would perform their attack animations the camera perspective would be from my character's and then there were loading issues.

I got the program not responding at least twice every time I booted the game up. I'm not sure if some of these issues were Square's fault or all were due to my computer's low specs, but I won't play again until I get a better PC. I did enjoy the upgraded resolution, the boosters, and other conveniences. I disliked Garnet's updated short hair portrait.

Freya
06-20-2016, 03:47 PM
Ahhh I had the hand thing too so it wasn't just you on that one and I have a banging computer. So i'm sure some of these really are just the ports fault.