PDA

View Full Version : Star Ocean 5 Reception Talk

Forsaken Lover
04-14-2016, 05:43 PM
A guy linked me to this
bXDoKgKMVvY

I like that the new main character only steals techniques, and he mainly steals them from Fayt. I'm shocked. [/sarcasm

Also a summary of Japanese review complaints

Short story.
There are not many areas to visit, everything seen on streams is pretty much that.
No arena.
Not a lot to do for endgame content.
Lots of reused tracks from previous games.
Optional dungeons are palette swaps.
No alternative costumes.
Relia is not actually playable

http://gematsu.com/2016/04/media-create-sales-4416-41016

Star Ocean V 10,383 second week for a total of 123,408

This is less than SO4 sold on the friggin' Xbox 360.

I will be tickled pink if this game makes people look back more fairly on SO4.

Pumpkin
04-14-2016, 07:34 PM
Well this is disappointing but I'll still try it for myself

Fox
04-14-2016, 08:20 PM
My friend completed the Japanese version yesterday. Apparently he got the '50% of side quests completed' trophy and spent a lot of time on the pause menu while he ate etc where the timer keeps going... and completed the game in 26 hours. Now, he and I have very different tastes so I'm not exactly writing this game off, but he was super scathing about an awful lot of things, so I'm dialing my hopes and dreams waaaay back.

CimminyCricket
04-15-2016, 01:48 AM
The arena has been a staple of the series since forever! >:C

I bet it's going to be a worthless DLC.

Forsaken Lover
04-19-2016, 09:30 AM
Ya know, the more I think on it, the more I'm tempted to buy this game, maybe even the Collector's Edition. Thing is, even if this game is total garbage, I really respect SE or tri-Ace or whoever for getting their shit together. I've paid no attention to this game up until a few days ago but I have still heard a lot about it the passed several months. They've done a really good job of creating awareness, marketing and that kind of thing. If this game bombs, it will not be due to lack of advertisement. They've done about all they can to hype it up. I even heard they had a simultaneous localization done for it, like NieR. Dunno if that's true or not but it be cool.

I wonder who's localization it anyway. 8-4 did the last game.

So as much as it might amuse me to see this fail horribly and SO4 get some retroactive praise, I might do my part to show my appreciation for them at least kind of trying here. It's not like my buying or not buying it will sway the tides from it being popularly received or a total flop.

Bright Shield
04-24-2016, 07:58 PM
Can't say I'm surprised. Whether acting as a developer or publisher; all Square does is disappoint nowadays.

Ffamran mied Bunansa
04-30-2016, 06:32 PM
I am okay with the game being shorter. A lot of posters whose opinions I trust over on Neogaf were fans of this game and compared it favourably to the original Star Ocean, so I am definitely going to give it a shot.

Fynn
05-05-2016, 12:49 PM
This reminds me of that whole #FE fiasco