PDA

View Full Version : So....Windows 7

Midgar Mist
04-16-2016, 07:16 PM
So the Retro in every way Midgar Mist is wanting to update

But....I dont wanna pay out money for Windows 7 and get it wrong

Ive looked it up and theres all this talk about 7 bit and 64 bit and ive no idea what this PC is and ive no idea how to check it.

I cant stand technobabble....its why i havent updated....

Skyblade
04-16-2016, 07:39 PM
Well, Windows 7 has an incredibly short lifespan left. It's going to stop receiving updates soon, and stop getting security updates even after that, and it's largely been abandoned by Microsoft which is doing everything it can to move people to Windows 10. If you got Windows 7 now, you'd basically just be getting a platform for Microsoft to inundate you with ads to switch to Windows 10.

There is no 7 bit processing system. Windows 7 offers a choice between 32 bit and 64 bit. If you can run the 64 bit, it would be better, but it depends entirely on what your system is capable of handling, which is defined by your CPU, so we'd need to know what your main processor is.

Spuuky
04-16-2016, 10:01 PM
32-bit CPUs basically don't exist anymore and I'd be completely shocked if you had one.

You should get Windows 10 instead of Windows 7.

Pike
04-17-2016, 11:01 AM
Agreed that you should get Windows 10, it's an improvement over 7 and, as has been said, 7 is no longer the latest update.

escobert
04-17-2016, 01:46 PM
I haven't had any issues with 10 and hell, they gave it to me for free and I was using a pirated Windows 8.1 :p

Midgar Mist
04-17-2016, 06:34 PM
Free....I like the sound of free. The reason I was interested in Windows 7 was cause I want to update enough so that Google Chrome will still update but....without the price tag of Windows 10.

Will viruses truly have more of a chance of infiltrating my system if i dont update? I mean i have just updated my Avast Anti Virus thingy (once again for free...just the basic protection)

Damned if I do damned if i dont.

Mirage
04-17-2016, 06:42 PM
What are you currently using?

Midgar Mist
04-21-2016, 10:46 PM
Vista. I keep getting a pop up saying Chrome will stop updating on Vista soon, meaning i could be prone to viruses more. im careful anyway but....

DMKA
04-22-2016, 02:33 AM
I haven't had any issues with 10 and hell, they gave it to me for free and I was using a pirated Windows 8.1 :p

Same. I've been using pirated Windows for like the last 10 years and now I have a genuine Windows copy thanks to Windows 10. :p

harmonixer
04-29-2016, 12:42 PM
Vista. I keep getting a pop up saying Chrome will stop updating on Vista soon, meaning i could be prone to viruses more. im careful anyway but....

Honestly anything is better than Vista. Upgrading to Windows 7 at least from Vista is a no-brainer - do it! I'm on Windows 7 and have no plans on upgrading to Windows 10. Windows 7 still has a shelf life of about 4 years before it's going to stop being supported so it's not that short a lifespan. Current installs of Windows 7 get a free upgrade to Windows 10 too, but I'm not sure if that counts for new purchases, you'll have to look it up.

FYI if you need to know whether you have a 32 or 64 bit PC (as said above, it's probably 64 bit), on your PC hit the Start button and go to All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Information. The entry under "System Type" will tell you whether it's a 32 or 64 bit machine.

Mirage
04-30-2016, 03:25 PM
or just right click my computer and select "properties".

Chrome stopping support vista does not make you more prone to viruses. There are other browsers you can use that will continue supporting pre-win7 operating systems. Firefox, for instance.

Microsoft dropping support for Vista, however, can make you more susceptible to security breaches. This happens in April 2017.

If you wanna be really adventurous, you could upgrade to linux mint instead :>

Midgar Mist
05-25-2016, 12:24 AM
My hand has now been forced. My Windows Vista has crapped out on me. Its so screwed up its now asking for the installation disk before it will restart. I can use a laptop to Skype for now (fortunately) but if I get an installation disk can I go for a later Windows package? Or because its screwed up do I have to reboot it with another Windows Vista installation disk? I don't actually have one so its gonna cost me either way.