PDA

View Full Version : If you had to replace our diet with the diet of a different animal

blackmage_nuke
04-27-2016, 07:03 PM
Which would you choose?

Note that humans would receive the physiological changes required to digest whatever new foods they would eat.

Slothy
04-27-2016, 10:53 PM
Polar bear. Predators are awesome and i could maul people to death.

blackmage_nuke
04-28-2016, 04:20 AM
I'd go for grizzly bear since I like raw salmon and would like to eat it without worrying about bones. And there's a variety of other meats in their diet so I don't get bored.

On the other hand it would be great if we were like cows and all that was needed to survive was grass. You can get that almost anywhere.

Calliope
04-28-2016, 07:10 AM
Tapirs. They eat greens, berries, and salt; which are the best things to eat and also no protein :D

Mirage
04-28-2016, 11:38 AM
You know what, I think I'll go for some sort of bear as well. Doesn't really matter of it is with brown bears or grizzly bears, as they eat pretty much the same and we're getting their diet and digestive system, not their strength or other physical traits.

It would give me pretty good variety in things I could eat. I mean, they're pretty much omnivores so the main difference is that I'm no longer allowed to cook my food. Or... am I? Pretty sure bears don't mind eating processed foods if they find some!

I'm not sure how Tapirs could survive without any protein in their diet.

Loony BoB
04-28-2016, 04:11 PM
He said diet, not laws (nor insane claws, size and strength). xD

I mean, if our taste buds were to adapt, I'd be all over the rabbit/sheep/cow kinda diet. Grass. It's not like the world is lacking in that department.

Alternatively: Ants, flies and cockroaches. They eat pretty much anything and everything, right? And don't need much to survive? That'll do me nicely.

Pheesh
04-28-2016, 05:26 PM
Alternatively: Ants, flies and cockroaches. They eat pretty much anything and everything, right? And don't need much to survive? That'll do me nicely.

Don't flies eat their own puke?

Mirage
04-28-2016, 05:55 PM

I mean, if our taste buds were to adapt, I'd be all over the rabbit/sheep/cow kinda diet. Grass. It's not like the world is lacking in that department.

They don't need a small amount of food because of what they eat, but because of their own size. You're getting their diet, not their daily energy requirements. You'd have to eat like a bucket of trash a day.

Me going for a bear's diet doesn't mean I suddenly have to eat 20 pounds of food a day either :p

A bovine diet isn't a terrible idea, although they do have to eat a pretty huge amount of grass, and not all sorts of grass are equally tasty to them either.You have to account for the availability of grass in certain seasons, but luckily cows can eat potatoes or certain types of fruit too. Not sure of they get as much nutrition out of that as we do, however, as their digestive systems are optimized for cellulose rather than fructose and starch.

I guess if it wasn't for all the ink on newspaper and such, you could safely eat that for nutrition during winters.

Source: I grew up on a farm

Madame Adequate
04-29-2016, 05:08 AM
A bacterium. :smug:

Vermachtnis
04-29-2016, 06:58 AM
I'd pick a Coyote. They eat cows and pigs and that's what I eat. Or a chupacabra and eat goats. I haven't eaten enough goats in my life.

Loony BoB
04-29-2016, 11:51 AM
They don't need a small amount of food because of what they eat, but because of their own size. You're getting their diet, not their daily energy requirements. You'd have to eat like a bucket of trash a day.
Flies don't have to eat a bucket of trash a day - they can eat pretty much everything humans eat, can't they? I imagine that, when compared to other animals, ants/flies/cockroaches probably can get by with a fairly "human" diet.

Slothy
04-29-2016, 06:03 PM

Humans can be a diet.

FFNut
04-29-2016, 07:16 PM
Give me the diet of a wolf. Moose meat is delightful plus Elk is great too. Deer is ehhh but makes great jerky! Basically they like to eat all the great tasting animals that run around the forest. Give me that diet.

Omni-Odin
04-30-2016, 02:35 PM
Since I have no taste for raw meats and even with new taste buds, I dislike the idea of taking the lives of animals I'd have to look at. I'd probably go with some type of fruit bat or a monkey with a primary diet of fruits.

Mirage
04-30-2016, 04:00 PM
Flies don't have to eat a bucket of trash a day - they can eat pretty much everything humans eat, can't they? I imagine that, when compared to other animals, ants/flies/cockroaches probably can get by with a fairly "human" diet.

Yes, they could, but almost every group of animals could eat tons of the same food humans eat, if they just avoid a few ingredients. A dog could eat steak, a cat could eat fried eggs, a bear could eat sliced bread with honey on. So it's really just breaking the point of the thread.

Ffamran mied Bunansa
04-30-2016, 06:59 PM
Maybe Iguanas? They eat fruits and greens and veggies and nothing else. I am a big meat eater, but I think I would go insane without fruit.