PDA

View Full Version : Why does Tidus look like a woman?

Mercer
05-03-2016, 08:06 PM
Why did the devs make Tidus look like a woman? I mean, hell. They made him really scrawny and gave him Meg Ryans hair style. They even put him in overalls. Anyone know why they made him look like a girly 17 year old guy?

It almost make him and Yuna look like a same sex couple on the cover of the game.

Jinx
05-03-2016, 11:40 PM
Maybe you just have a narrow view of how men should look.

Mirage
05-04-2016, 01:29 AM
Looks like a pretty 17 year old boy to me. Or was it 18.

Mr. Carnelian
05-04-2016, 01:41 AM
He looks like a man. Not a big, burly "macho" man, maybe, but a man. Why they chose to give him such a hideous outfit, however, is anyone's guess.

Ffamran mied Bunansa
05-04-2016, 02:53 AM
His outfit was cool to me when I was 10. I still hold some nostalgia towards it despite knowing it is logically awful. I don't think he looks anything like a woman though.

Shauna
05-04-2016, 08:30 AM
Yeah, he really doesn't look like a woman.

Fynn
05-04-2016, 09:07 AM
Maybe you just have a narrow view of how men should look.

Word

Loony BoB
05-04-2016, 12:45 PM
I think he's got the standard androgynous look that many characters, both male and female, have in the Final Fantasy series. This is pretty common in Japanese pop culture.

maybee
05-04-2016, 02:12 PM
Why ? Would you prefer Tidus to have tight muscles, bald hair, roughly shaven face, large heavy machine gun and ciggy in his mouth ???

Fynn
05-04-2016, 02:15 PM
Why ? Would you prefer Tidus to have tight muscles, bald hair, roughly shaven face, large heavy machine gun and ciggy in his mouth ???

Apparently, we need more of this

http://img0.joyreactor.com/pics/post/funny-pictures-auto-544646.jpeg

Gotta hand it to the Japanese - at least they're trying

(also, do you guys think we should tell him about Vaan?)

maybee
05-04-2016, 02:27 PM

Yup ! That's what I was thinking of- the other 99 per cent of male western protags out there.

Clo
05-05-2016, 04:46 PM
Why do you any of the leads look like women?

Mirage
05-05-2016, 08:13 PM

Who's that 4th guy on the second row?

Fynn
05-05-2016, 08:17 PM
Willy Wonka? I seriously don't know who any of them are

Shauna
05-05-2016, 09:31 PM
Shepard. *nod*

Formalhaut
05-05-2016, 10:01 PM
Shepard. *nod*

Mass Effect is the exception where the typical white gruff male Shepard is pretty much seen by the fandom as inferior to FemShep, and with pretty good reason.

Peter1986
05-06-2016, 02:31 AM
Most Japanese male characters look like women. :p

Anyway, I honestly always thought that the American Tidus came off as kind of whiny and fragile.
He has a lot more attitude in the Japanese version, and his Japanese voice fits him so much better.
You can think of him as Ichigo, since they both have the same Japanese voice actor (Masakazu Morita).

Laddy
05-07-2016, 11:34 AM
Japanese standards of beauty for young men can have elegant or even feminine characteristics. He's obviously quite masculine and with a mid-range voice. His design is certainly odd arguably even within the setting but there's precedent for it in the series.

Laddy
05-07-2016, 11:34 AM
One can look feminine without resembling a woman.

sinuosity
05-08-2016, 02:17 AM
Why are we asking why Tidus resembles a woman, and not instead why Meg Ryan resembles a man? #socialjustice #gender #toxicmasculinity

Shauna
05-08-2016, 10:27 AM
She doesn't look like a man either!

Fynn
05-08-2016, 11:07 AM
Hairstyles are gender-neutral! Stop gendering hairstyles! :p

sinuosity
05-08-2016, 11:31 AM
She doesn't look like a man either!

If one agrees that she looks like Tidus, one must also agree that she looks like a man, as Tidus is unquestionably a man. a=a=a ;)

maybee
05-08-2016, 11:58 AM
Why are we asking why Tidus resembles a woman, and not instead why Meg Ryan resembles a man? #socialjustice #gender #toxicmasculinity

https://blueollie.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/triggered.jpg

gau
05-08-2016, 04:04 PM
Funnily, I think Tidus' outfit is a good fit for a big burly construction worker type character.

Mirage
05-08-2016, 07:00 PM
Shepard. *nod*
But shepard is a woman...

Midgar Mist
05-09-2016, 06:17 AM
Why did the devs make Tidus look like a woman? I mean, hell. They made him really scrawny and gave him Meg Ryans hair style. They even put him in overalls. Anyone know why they made him look like a girly 17 year old guy?

It almost make him and Yuna look like a same sex couple on the cover of the game.

Have you seen Depression Moon's signature? He makes Zidane look girly in that one, so its not just Tidus I think its an epidemic of girly males. Is it a mock up or an actual game? Tis a mystery that will remain unsolved.

Fynn
05-09-2016, 06:59 AM

Have you seen Depression Moon's signature? He makes Zidane look girly in that one, so its not just Tidus I think its an epidemic of girly males. Is it a mock up or an actual game? Tis a mystery that will remain unsolved.

It's from Dissidia

Elly
05-09-2016, 03:47 PM

why does your post make you look like a bigoted, homophobic, hater?..
i assure you these forums are not the place for an attitude like that, we have many gay, lesbian, and transgendered people here that could easily take offence at such a remark... i only hope it was posted in jest...
to answer your question, because not every game lead has to be a scruffy dudebro... personally i hate that character type and welcome characters that are the antithesis of the scruffy dudebro...

Jessweeee♪
05-11-2016, 01:55 AM
I think he looks like a boy. A teenage boy. I went to school with 17 year old boys and they didn't all look like manly macho men, a lot of them looked like boys.

Shepard. *nod*

Mass Effect is the exception where the typical white gruff male Shepard is pretty much seen by the fandom as inferior to FemShep, and with pretty good reason.

I think it's pretty cool that when you see people talking about Dragon Age or Mass Effect people use female pronouns when talking about protagonists, even a large proportion of dudes. And some games treat the female option as a non-canon afterthought.

Midgar Mist
05-11-2016, 02:32 AM

i assure you these forums are not the place for an attitude like that, we have many gay, lesbian, and transgendered people here that could easily take offence at such a remark... i only hope it was posted in jest...
to answer your question, because not every game lead has to be a scruffy dudebro... personally i hate that character type and welcome characters that are the antithesis of the scruffy dudebro...

I.....dont think thats what he meant

Mirage
05-11-2016, 05:14 AM
Might be reading a bit too much into it.

In either case I'd say he doesn't look like a man because he isn't a one. He's just a teenager. Tons of teenagers look a bit androgynous.

Elly
05-11-2016, 02:42 PM
yeah as i stated i hope it was just a bad joke that just rubbed me the wrong way...

Shorty
05-11-2016, 04:51 PM
Elly is right. This thread is full of awful transphobic language. Saying that male characters look "girly" as if it's a negative aspect for a male to look feminine, saying that Meg Ryan "looks like a man", seeming to have a problem with a same sex couple on the cover of a game. This is all just foul.

Kalevala
05-11-2016, 07:48 PM

To be fair, that is how I interpreted it as well.

DMKA
05-12-2016, 02:30 AM
They made him really scrawny and gave him Meg Ryans hair style. They even put him in overalls. Anyone know why they made him look like a girly 17 year old guy?

It's like you've never played a JRPG before.

Jeno
07-14-2016, 01:53 AM
This is Final Fantasy, not Resident Evil, all of the main guys are young and pretty and I love it! #CloudSquallTidusVaanAce

fat_moogle
07-14-2016, 11:09 PM
Because he was born Tidette.

Randy
07-16-2016, 12:09 PM
Haven't you played any JRPGs before?

They always prefer the slightly effeminate man over the muscly western hero.

Barret, Wakka, Steiner, Basch, Gladiolus are all the stereotypically masculine characters that are peripheral to the more slight and boy-like hero in FF games.

TidusReborn
07-16-2016, 11:26 PM
yeah as i stated i hope it was just a bad joke that just rubbed me the wrong way...
Or... MAYBE people like you look for conflict where there is none.

Bubba
07-18-2016, 01:28 PM
There is a distinct lack of pleasantness in this thread so I think we're done here.