PDA

View Full Version : Games you love... that no one played

Fynn
05-05-2016, 11:52 AM
So here's another one of those threads where we look at games that we personally think are amazing, but this time, they're not exactly disliked by most. For some reason, these little gems have flown under people's radars.

For me, this game is Dragon Quest VI. I know this game is talked about among DQ communities (which are small sparse enough on their own), but the discussions are still few and far between. Too little people have any nostalgia for it, like they do for DQ I and III, and its story hasn't elevated it to the mythical status DQV has. So even though it is easily my favorite DQ out of the ones I've played so far, the amount of people who have played it aside from me would appear to be, like, 2, judging by Internet forums.

Galuf
05-05-2016, 12:06 PM
FFXII: Revenant Wings & FF CC: Ring of Fates.

similair reason to yours as its just not many people talk about them ever.

also i dont love them. just like.

Psychotic
05-05-2016, 12:07 PM
Future Cop: LAPD. You play a big mecha robot and you stomp the hell out of ne'er-do-wells in LA, from worm worshipping cultists capturing a movie star to mutants that have taken over a prison. Who do you think developed this game? The answer will Electronic Arts!

Fynn
05-05-2016, 12:14 PM
FFXII: Revenant Wings

Oh yeah, that game.

Most of the time I just try to forget about it. Curse the Toriyama taint. How dare he touch FFXII

Galuf
05-05-2016, 12:16 PM
FFXII: Revenant Wings

Oh yeah, that game.

Most of the time I just try to forget about it. Curse the Toriyama taint. How dare he touch FFXII

i dont even know why i liked it.

Guess it was the time i played it.

Fynn
05-05-2016, 12:19 PM
I mean, the gameplay was fine. I don't play RTSes much, but the battles were pretty cool.

But the story was just FFX-2 in Ivalice, which is lame

Pike
05-05-2016, 12:42 PM
I can think of several but I feel like I evangelize a lot of them at this forum already :)

Karifean
05-05-2016, 12:53 PM
*points at blog*

I guess a simple example would be The Devil on G-string. It got put on Steam a while back and pretty much ignored. :sigh:

Jinx
05-05-2016, 01:18 PM
Shadow Hearts series. Some people know of it, but I feel like I really only know one other person who ever played them. And they're so damn good.

Slothy
05-05-2016, 02:23 PM
Future Cop: LAPD. You play a big mecha robot and you stomp the hell out of ne'er-do-wells in LA, from worm worshipping cultists capturing a movie star to mutants that have taken over a prison. Who do you think developed this game? The answer will Electronic Arts!

Future Cop is amazing. And the multiplayer was quite good.

DMKA
05-06-2016, 12:22 AM
Puppeteer

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/32/Puppeteer_cover.png

It was one of the most charming, original, visually beautiful, fun games I experienced during the 7th gen.

No one played it.

Vermachtnis
05-06-2016, 12:59 AM
Septerra Core, it's such a nice little RPG with one of the best world maps. It has a battle system like Chrono Trigger, where you can see the enemies on screen and your party jumps into position. And you can do "Dual and Triple Tech" with your spell cards. The battles are also a low point, they are really, really slow. The voice acting is still pretty good. How many other games from 1999 can you say that for?

And it came bundled with another game Shogo. It was this first person shooter mech game with a decent story. It was very Gundam.

Wolf Kanno
05-06-2016, 06:44 AM

Persona 2 is probably the most overlooked entry, being between the awkward first game that the newer fans hated and super popular P3 and 4.

Also Gitaroo Man, hell Rhythm games in general is just one of those genres no one ever talks about.

Formalhaut
05-06-2016, 06:48 AM

Persona 2 is probably the most overlooked entry, being between the awkward first game that the newer fans hated and super popular P3 and 4.

Also Gitaroo Man, hell Rhythm games in general is just one of those genres no one ever talks about.

I do want to play Persona 2 at some point.

If only because you can be gay in it. That, and I'm liking his shirt and tie look!

Ffamran mied Bunansa
05-06-2016, 06:49 AM
Crystal Chronicles is my favorite multiplayer game of all time. I know very very few people who have played it outside of my closest friends and siblings because I bought the four GBAs and link cables to play it.

Fynn
05-06-2016, 07:27 AM

I do want to play Persona 2 at some point.

If only because you can be gay in it. That, and I'm liking his shirt and tie look!

That's... not entirely true. THere's no social links and no real romance options, just subtle hints and little choices here and there you can make. No option in being an overtly gay relationship.

And I know plenty of people who rave about the P2 duology! But yeah, P1 is evil. It's not that I hate it. It's that it hates me.

Formalhaut
05-06-2016, 07:34 AM
That's... not entirely true. THere's no social links and no real romance options, just subtle hints and little choices here and there you can make. No option in being an overtly gay relationship.

Laaame. Honestly, I'm hoping Atlus implements a gay romance option in Persona 5.

Fynn
05-06-2016, 08:02 AM
You should still totally play them

Wolf Kanno
05-06-2016, 08:43 AM
Actually the Jun x Tatsuya element of the game is a little more than subtle hints. In the game you have conversation system with demons and it's possible to team up with members. If you actually tell Jun you love him, then you get a team up conversation ability between the two which is Jun flirting with Tatsuya. Likewise, if you tell Maya or Lisa, they partake of the system. It's not full on modern RPG snog fest but for something that came out in the 90s, it was pretty bold.

Fynn
05-06-2016, 09:17 AM
But it's still not a full-on romantic relationship you can partake in, and more like a joke scene that may or may not have happened in canon. In fact, I don't think either of the games ever makes it clear that Tatsuya ends up with any of the three romantic interests. Correct me if I'm wrong, though, as I've yet to play EP.

Wolf Kanno
05-06-2016, 09:42 AM
EP doesn't tell you anything since Jun, Ekichi, and Lisa are relegated to minor NPCs until one particular boss fight... but Tatsuya has no canon partner. Though I think the head writer does actually consider the JunXTatsuya relationship to be the most ideal since Maya is more of a "big sister" and Lisa's feelings for Tatsuya is not exactly healthy for either of them. Like P3 and beyond, Tatsuya's partner is whoever you want it to be with. It was still pretty cool and you get more from it than one cutscene at least. You can't deny that Jun wasn't trying to get a relationship going between them if you go by a lot of his dialogue concerning Tatsuya. ;)

Fynn
05-06-2016, 09:51 AM
True, and Jun/Tatsuya is my preferred pairing as well, but the game itself never really comes out and says there is a relationship between Tatsuya and any of the three. Considering LGBT issues in gaming now, it's kind of a missed opportunity, but then again, this was the 90s, so this was as good as we could get, probably

Wolf Kanno
05-06-2016, 10:00 AM
History shows us that culture almost always advances in baby steps rather than great strides, regardless of how some of us may feel on the subject. With that said, I would argue that considering the time and medium, P2 was ahead of the curve on cultural values, especially when you consider how the sequels are still a bit too afraid to go there again.

Fynn
05-06-2016, 10:01 AM
Agreed completely. Echoing Formy's statement, hope there's something closer to a gay option in P5. I mean, we almost had Yosuke in P4, so maybe it's not that far off?

Sorry if all this came off as negative, I just wanted Formy not to get his hopes up for a complete, fleshed out gay romance option in Innocent Sin. It's still an excellent game, though, ahead of its time in many respects, and like Wolf said, should be respected for the steps it did take in regards of the relationships. It's also got a very dark, atmospheric plot. Which is something that cannot be said about P1 which plays out like a silly B horror movie :p

Ooh! Another game no one seems to remember about - Warioland. Remember that? 2 and 3 are basically my entire childhood, and yet no one seems to remember Wario used to do anything else than ride a gokart.

Wolf Kanno
05-06-2016, 10:07 AM
I played Warioland, the forum just doesn't have a huge handheld community.

Fynn
05-06-2016, 10:08 AM
Why did you hide this fact from me? How could you? :onoes:

Pheesh
05-06-2016, 10:12 AM
The Old Republic. It was an addictive MMO set in the Star Wars universe with amazing voice acting, a decent plot aaaand no one I knew played it.

Aerith's Knight
05-06-2016, 10:16 AM
Shadow Hearts series. Some people know of it, but I feel like I really only know one other person who ever played them. And they're so damn good.

I do know of them. And I tried to search for the PS2 version of it while I was in the states. No luck though, they didn't even have it in the registry at Gamestop.

Wolf Kanno
05-06-2016, 10:20 AM
Why did you hide this fact from me? How could you? :onoes:

It never came up?

I do know of them. And I tried to search for the PS2 version of it while I was in the states. No luck though, they didn't even have it in the registry at Gamestop.

Yeah, I had to pick them up through Amazon. Still haven't got around to them either. ^^;

Fynn
05-06-2016, 10:24 AM
I've seen the Shadow Hearts games in stores waaaaaaay back. Thought they looked interesting, but never got around to buying them for some reason. And then I forgot about them until now.

Formalhaut
05-06-2016, 11:00 AM
What is Shadow Hearts, exactly? I've heard about it, but never really seen or know much about it.

Karifean
05-06-2016, 11:27 AM
Almost forgot about Tomoyo After. Even in the Key community I frequent almost no one bothers to read it. Which is a massive shame because it's one of my all-time favorites and still has my favorite romance and favorite ending of any VN to date.

All because it has H scenes.

Jinx
05-06-2016, 11:38 AM
What is Shadow Hearts, exactly? I've heard about it, but never really seen or know much about it.

Basically revisionist fantasy-alternate universe set during the pre-WWI, WWI, and the Depression (depends on what game you're playing). My favorite (and the one I've spent the most time on) is the second game. You can pick it up without ever having played the first. You get to play some characters such as a gay vampire and Anastasia. Yes, that Anastasia.

Scotty_ffgamer
05-06-2016, 05:16 PM
I've played some of Shadow hearts covenant, but I don't remember much. It was a long time ago and I either just rented it or it was one of the games that got destroyed when my parents let a kid play around in my room while I was at work.

I do very much want to try playing again though as I liked the little I got to play.

Ayen
06-08-2016, 08:15 AM
Cyborg Justice for the Sega Genesis. You play as robots and get to pick different parts before you play, and it feels like no one ever heard of the game, much less played it.

To a lesser extent, Monster Rancher. The original game. Once in a blue moon I get to talk about it with somebody, but it's not much. 2 and 4 seems to be the ones everyone knows.

And I second Crystal Chronicles.

sharkythesharkdogg
06-08-2016, 09:00 PM
Way of the Samurai
SkyGunner
Metropolismania
Tenchu: Fatal Shadows (Really all of them after 1&2)

There's others.

Ayen
06-08-2016, 09:12 PM
I forgot BattleTanx.
Hardly anyone I talk to ever knows what I'm talking about when I mention BattleTanx.

Slothy
06-08-2016, 11:01 PM
Way of the Samurai
SkyGunner
Metropolismania
Tenchu: Fatal Shadows (Really all of them after 1&2)

There's others.

I have played way of the samurai and it was amazing.

Zanmato
06-09-2016, 03:48 PM
I think that Primal is the most underrated/unpopular game I've ever played.
I didn't even know about it until I bought it a long time ago.
Even indie games are more known than Primal! :ohdear: