PDA

View Full Version : Mechanics you hate?

Fynn
05-05-2016, 11:58 AM
Which RPG mechanics make you hurl your controller/break your keyboard in half out of frustration?

Personally, I fucking hate point-build systems. I could never beat Diablo II because the fucking skills were so vague on what is useful enough to invest in. It also made me not beat Dragon Quest VIII - oh, too bad you spent the whole game giving Jessica and Angelo points to weapons that actually deal damage, because you neglected staff points which means that you won't be getting any useful spells ever, at this point. Please, just give me a job system or something like materia/magic eggs so I can just mix and match in peace.

Shauna
05-05-2016, 12:00 PM
Cindy :argh:

Fynn
05-05-2016, 12:19 PM
But she's at least competent, right? I mean, she fixes your car and stuff :p

gau
05-05-2016, 06:25 PM
I hate that in SMT: Strange Journey the weakness exploit system is changed from giving extra turn to "an extra attack by your party members of the same alignment"

It's really limiting. You have to have party members of the same alignment, with high physical attack power, to make it useful.

Mirage
05-05-2016, 08:11 PM
main character KO = game over in games where you control an entire party.

Vermachtnis
05-05-2016, 10:19 PM
Games with restrictions on what characters/races can be what jobs or learning skills.

blackmage_nuke
05-05-2016, 11:18 PM
Games with scaling enemies that don't tell you so you spend a good time grinding only to wonder why things are getting more difficult instead of easier.

Skyblade
05-07-2016, 06:32 AM
First person combat in RPGs. I don't know why, but it shatters immersion for me.

Ffamran mied Bunansa
05-08-2016, 12:08 AM
I hate waypoint, compass, minimap system that every game has now. I want to explore and find my way!

Forsaken Lover
05-08-2016, 04:22 AM
MP Death in Star Ocean 3.

Wolf Kanno
05-10-2016, 04:56 AM
This is a bit hard for me, as certain mechanics I dislike have games that do pull it off well so it really comes down to the designers. For instance, I have never minded the ones already mentioned (well maybe MP death one) as I know games that do them right.

These were the only two I don't care for and even then, I'm not terribly bothered if the game does it.:

Save points that restore health, I just feel like it undermines the use of items.

Randomized treasure chests, because some of my favorite gaming highlights in old school games is obtaining that awesome Axe or piece of armor in the dungeon. Turning it into a grindfest just kills the discovery factor.

Skyblade
05-10-2016, 04:57 AM
Save points that restore health, I just feel like it undermines the use of items.

You use items?

Wolf Kanno
05-10-2016, 05:42 AM

You use items?

In old school games or where magic healing items are not plentiful, yeah.

Fynn
05-10-2016, 08:45 AM

You use items?

You don't? I mean, that's why they're there. It's kinda lame how most games just forget about them. Luckily, more and more games are remembering that in the past, they used to be pretty crucial to your survival, so they bring back their importance.

Formalhaut
05-10-2016, 08:57 AM
Randomized treasure chests, because some of my favorite gaming highlights in old school games is obtaining that awesome Axe or piece of armor in the dungeon. Turning it into a grindfest just kills the discovery factor.

Looking at you here, FFXII​. :colbert:

Depression Moon
05-11-2016, 12:14 AM
main character KO = game over in games where you control an entire party.
Yep, that shit is annoying, though I got used to it in Kingdom Hearts.

Skyblade
05-11-2016, 04:13 AM

You use items?

You don't? I mean, that's why they're there. It's kinda lame how most games just forget about them. Luckily, more and more games are remembering that in the past, they used to be pretty crucial to your survival, so they bring back their importance.

Never did. If you use items, they'll never be there when you need them.

I always hold onto them until super-critical moments when I absolutely need them. As a result, I NEVER use them, and I have a humongous stockpile by the end of the game. If I remember them, I'll cheese the final boss with infinite Elixirs and whatnot.

But, really, in most RPGs, the Item command may as well not even exist.

That's another mechanic for me: Consumables. Dodgy, unreliable things that are never there when you need them.

Depression Moon
05-11-2016, 04:27 AM
Then what do you use in games when you don't have access to healing items yet?

Skyblade
05-11-2016, 04:56 AM
Then what do you use in games when you don't have access to healing items yet?

Before I get healing magic, I rest at inns.

I use Potions during the Bombing Mission in FFVII (mostly to grind up Limit Breaks). Then I never use items again.

Wolf Kanno
05-11-2016, 08:54 AM

You use items?

I still love how SMTIV got around the whole "hoarding item" issue by limiting how many of a certain item you could use. Never bothered using Soma's until that game.

Fynn
05-11-2016, 09:10 AM
Yup. That game really did items well.

(I still think III was bad with Phoenix Downs, though. It's one thing to be able to carry around a limited supply, and another thing entirely being unable to buy them and only capable of finding a limited amount in the game world)

Wolf Kanno
05-11-2016, 09:13 AM
You honestly get enough to carry you through the game though, so it's no big deal. The worse part was the times you realize that just dying and going back to your last save would be more beneficial than using the Phoenix Down.

Fynn
05-11-2016, 09:26 AM
The game is immensely stressful as it is. Being able to just have something to fall back on when a character dies would have alleviated that a bit.

Wolf Kanno
05-11-2016, 09:28 AM
Well you could always go to town and pay a fee. I don't know, I never felt too stressed by it.

Fynn
05-11-2016, 09:31 AM
Long-ass dungeons with no save points. Sometimes a dumb monster one-shotting your healer once you're near the top and you don't want to waste Phoenix Downs because they can come in handy later on, is kind of stressful, because coming back to where you were takes a lot of effort.

Wolf Kanno
05-12-2016, 04:25 AM
There's only really four nasty dungeons in the game and they are all at the end, so I wouldn't say it's too stressful. I've lost more time in DQ or classic SMT games than FFIII.

Peter1986
05-12-2016, 04:39 AM
I really hate when hard boss battles take place right after a long tedious story scene that goes on for like 5-10 minutes.
At least give me chance to go back and save the game before the battle begins, seriously.

Laddy
05-12-2016, 05:08 AM
Characters with essentially only a sin gle attack option. Especially when they're tanks. It means you'll usually have a character in your party that is extremely dull mechanically.

Formalhaut
05-12-2016, 08:11 AM
I am a bit of an item hoarder, like Skyblade. Don't get me wrong, I do use common items with some degree of regularity, but rare items are reserved for the endgame, minimum.

Wolf Kanno
05-14-2016, 02:27 AM
Characters with essentially only a sin gle attack option. Especially when they're tanks. It means you'll usually have a character in your party that is extremely dull mechanically.

What I've learned about these type of characters is that it's best to build a team around them. One of my favorite "screwing around" builds in FFIIIDS involves a team built around the Viking class, who is only good for taking hits to the face. Yet it made me appreciate classes like the Bard and get around some issues with the Dark Knight, so it was quite the pleasant experience to toy with them.

Midgar Mist
05-14-2016, 11:37 AM
As Fynn points out, the Diablo stuff is pretty bad. Horses die very easily for example. I can't stand FF8's mechanics, there's a scene in Deling City where you're so supposed to climb something and it genuinely takes fricking ages to get past it.

Stuff like fighting Sin's fin in 10 or the Jecht shot, in fact fricking Blitzball in general. Did you also know that one can get permanently stuck in Djose and Kilika temples if you dare to put the wrong sphere in a slot?

10-2 is less annoying but sphere break and the whole notes thing at the end makes you wanna throw the game out the window.