PDA

View Full Version : What the hell did I just play?

Fynn
05-05-2016, 12:22 PM
What game that you played had the most incomprehensible story? Which game left you thinking "what just happened?" Let's talk about confusing games.

Clo
05-05-2016, 05:06 PM
Chrono Cross. I loved the art, music, all that. But what the HELL IS EVER HAPPENING EVER?

Shauna
05-05-2016, 05:10 PM
I don't really know what went down in Deadly Premonition, but what a romp that was.

gau
05-07-2016, 11:04 AM
umm... pony island, and superhot, maybe.
pony island i didn't even get past the start screen (?)

I played em at my friend's pc, he's a fan of weird games like those.

though, superhot is kinda cool, feels like you're some action movie star

blackmage_nuke
05-07-2016, 04:10 PM
Alpha Protocol, great game but damn it's hard to keep track of who's backstabbing whom and their motives. I end up just going from mission to mission doing what they tell me with little to no idea why.

Also MGS2, everything past the point where Raiden is captured confused me until I read the wiki about it (and even then...)

Ffamran mied Bunansa
05-07-2016, 05:36 PM
I honestly can't think of a game that did that to me. Even Kingdom Hearts made enough sense if you read everything.

Anime though.... Aldnoah.Zero never ever made sense because all the characters had no logical motivations, random stuff just happened every episode with no forewarning or logic behind it.

Slothy
05-07-2016, 07:45 PM
Also MGS2, everything past the point where Raiden is captured confused me until I read the wiki about it (and even then...)

Not surprising considering you get several totally different explanations for what the hell just happened and none of them are particularly good plans. Plus who or what the patriots are at that point is incredibly confusing, especially on the first playthrough. I haven't played through the game in a long time (partly because holy shit is it filled with way too much dialogue) so it makes even less sense to me these days as my memory of it fades.

Fox
05-07-2016, 10:11 PM
Every Metal Gear Solid except for 1 and 3, definitely. I will say with MGS2 that I just watched a Let's Play of it and it kinda makes more sense now, partially because I've seen it a bunch of times and also because the world we now live in is much more like the one MGS2 was imagining.

Back in 2002 when the game said "Because of the internet the world is drowning in digital information and we need to control that," we couldn't really relate. We were still using geocities websites. But now it's 2016 and everything is online all the time, we all know about gaf and reddit and 4chan and we can all understand the concept that "wow, there's a lot of dumb trout on the internet huh?"

Another game I'd like to mention is FFXIII-2. That was just a mess towards the end. You have to way more competent than that to attempt anything involving time travel.

Fynn
05-08-2016, 07:23 AM
I honestly can't think of a game that did that to me. Even Kingdom Hearts made enough sense if you read everything.

Kingdom Hearts is one of those games where I never understood the criticism that it's too hard to follow because I honestly never had any problem with that

Slothy
05-08-2016, 12:13 PM
The first Kingdom Hearts is perfectly fine. Kingdom Hearts 2 was a confusing mess because it just dumps a bunch of stuff you never saw in the first game on you and expects you too know it, then fails to adequately explain anything by the time the game ends. I gave up on the series at that point.

Fynn
05-08-2016, 01:22 PM
Did you skip on Chain of Memories?

Mr. Carnelian
05-08-2016, 01:35 PM

That's part of the problem. The endless waves of side games which contain details crucial to the main plot. If it's not a main, numbered title, then you SHOULD be able to understand the plot of the main series fine without playing it. But often, with Kinngom Hearts, you can't. The way they've set it up in Kingdom Hearts is just a deeply cynical way to get you to buy multiple platforms.

"Oh, you thought you could understand the plot just by buying the console games? HA! HA! No. You have to buy this handheld. And this handheld. Now give us your money."

Sephiroth
05-08-2016, 01:54 PM
It is not that KH is hard to understand, it is that it is inconsistent and filled with plotholes. If you just close your eyes when it comes to that, like you should do for all games, the game is generally with its concepts as it is just about elements, friendship and fragments of existence leading to new existence that fights you again only to be reunited and all that stuff. If you approach it from a very analytical and logical point, especially psychologically you might as well spend your time differently.

Fynn
05-08-2016, 02:51 PM

That's part of the problem. The endless waves of side games which contain details crucial to the main plot. If it's not a main, numbered title, then you SHOULD be able to understand the plot of the main series fine without playing it. But often, with Kinngom Hearts, you can't. The way they've set it up in Kingdom Hearts is just a deeply cynical way to get you to buy multiple platforms.

"Oh, you thought you could understand the plot just by buying the console games? HA! HA! No. You have to buy this handheld. And this handheld. Now give us your money."

Not exactly. Nomura would have made them on one console, but the execs forced the multi-platform thing. Now, with the HD remixes, that point isn't valid anymore. Regardless of that, KH isn't nearly as hard to follow as people make it up to be. It's just a popular argument to latch on to

@Sephiroth: I'm very analytical towards all the media I enjoy. Kingdom Hearts is pretty fascinating when you go deep into it. Plotholes and inconsistencies and all ;)

Wolf Kanno
05-09-2016, 04:48 PM
Chulips comes to mind, as does Killer 7. Hell Suda 51 games in general might as well be called the "What the hell did I just play?" genre.

Slothy
05-09-2016, 05:00 PM

I didn't have a Gameboy Advance and like most people didn't really give a shit about a small spin off game on a handheld. Of course it turned out that it wasn't just some forgettable spin off and anyone who only played the first two numerical entries would be lost by the end of the second.

And i disagree about it not being that hard to follow. Necessary information was left out of the second game so anyone who only played the first wouldn't be able to understand everything happening. Then they kept releasing side games on multiple handhelds i didn't even own at the time so it was clear the series wasn't for me in anyway after that.

Midgar Mist
05-12-2016, 09:33 PM
Silent Bomber wins that prize for me. Its just a souless wasteland of a script, with the antagonist spouting chess metaphors. The Antagonist is not a very interesting bad dude and Yutah is a pathetic excuse for a protagonist. The gameplay was also programmed by lunatics with no imagination as well. I didn't get very far, but I did look up its bizzare story and thought "?"

krissy
05-14-2016, 04:26 AM
y'all

killer 7