PDA

View Full Version : Combining free periods

Fynn
05-09-2016, 09:31 AM
Summer is coming up. Which means my wife and I will be playing FFXIV soon! We wanted to know how much free play time we could get. So the basic question is:

Can you combine the 14-day trial with the 30-day trial that you get when you purchase the game?

The details are thus: I got FFXIV for free from humble bundle (thanks Shauna!) while my wife got hers off a steam sale. Neither of us has made an account yet or anything, and I haven't redeemed my humble bundle code yet. So, if we make accounts for the 14-day trial, will we then be able to use the games we bought to still get those additional 30 days, or is this an either-or situation?

Fynn
05-10-2016, 08:47 AM
Okay, bumping this with another related question that came up, as starting another thread would just be cluttering stuff.

I realize there are some limitations on the 14-day trial, including the fact that you can't form parties. My wife and I want to play together - will we be missing out on a lot if we can't form a party in our first 14 days?

Pheesh
05-10-2016, 08:57 AM
Don't know about the first question but the second one depends on how quickly or slowly you decide to play. I think I had hit level cap on my main class by the time my first month of playing was up, but I really sped through it as I was on holiday at the time. You could take the 14 days and simply try out a bit of everything to see what class you enjoy and then once it's done you and your wife will be ready to play in earnest and can play together on your free 30 days.

The Summoner of Leviathan
05-10-2016, 01:51 PM
Apparently you can combine them but you have to wait until your 14 days are up then put your full version code into your account! Also, don't forget you have to create two separate accounts if you want to play at the same time. And for the Steam version you have to buy the expansion through Steam if you only have the base game and want the expansion in the future!

Fynn
05-10-2016, 02:14 PM
Oh yeah, I know about the two games thing, and we do have two games. We're gonna hold off on Heavensward for now - I think the base game should provide us with enough fun for some time.

Jinx
05-10-2016, 02:36 PM
Yeah, the only real reason to buy Heavensward up front is if you want to play as an Au'Ra.

Fynn
05-10-2016, 02:37 PM
And we've already decided we're going to be cats, so we'll wait. Thanks for the tip, Jinx! ;)

Jinx
05-10-2016, 02:39 PM
Are you guys going to play with EoFFers? :D

Fynn
05-10-2016, 02:40 PM
Well, how else would you play? Sargatanas, here we come! But we still need the school year to end, so my wife can have her summer vacation, so expect us dropping in around the end of June

Jinx
05-10-2016, 03:12 PM
Any idea what classes you'll start off as?

Fynn
05-10-2016, 03:15 PM
I'll probably be going for gladiator as I like paladins. The wife is still not sure, though she always likes to play as mages, so the thaumaturge is her most likely choice at this point

Shauna
05-10-2016, 03:43 PM
That's a good shout as they both start in Ul'dah.

Jinx
05-10-2016, 04:07 PM
Yeah, a great way for you guys to play together early on.

Fynn
05-10-2016, 04:15 PM
Would we be missing out on a lot if we don't start in the same city?

Shauna
05-10-2016, 04:18 PM
Eh. You just wouldn't be able to hang out in game until like L10 or something? I forget when you can first leave your starting city.

Jinx
05-10-2016, 08:12 PM
Depends on how fast you play, really. If you want to take time and play around, learn, read the quests and stuff...I highly suggest starting off in the same city. The nice thing about starting in two different places is you can see two of the three beginning plots (all leads to the same route eventually, but until you leave the starter area, it's slightly different).

That said, there's not really a huge NEED to play together before then.

05-11-2016, 01:36 AM
Around level 12-15 in the Main Scenario do you unlock the other cities organically (airships!). Otherwise you can just run for your life between cities if you know where to go. Not advised though (I recall doing it during beta). Especially since your starting quests will center in your starting city-state until like 20 or something?

Also, after the level 10 class quest you unlock the ability to change class by changing weapons. FYI to get PLD from GLA (30) you also need CNJ at 15 and for BLM you need THM (30) and ARC at 15. Both secondaries are in Gridania!

On the bright side you as a tank will mean fast queues for dungeons whilst your wife can ride on that (DPS queues tend to be the longest, especially ranged DPS from what I hear).

A good time to get HW if you want the expansion is when you finish the 2.0 Main Scenario since the 2.x content will give you EXP only if HW is there to remove the level cap. Though tbh you would only miss out on 1.5 levels in EXP (from what I read) for doing 2.0-2.55.

Loony BoB
05-12-2016, 07:58 PM
FWIW, I don't think you can join the Free Company where we all chat during the 14 day free trial period.

Fynn
05-12-2016, 08:02 PM
Yeah, I know you can't join a Free Company during the trial period. But who said we'd be joining one right away? ;)

05-13-2016, 02:39 AM
I will hunt you down in-game until you do. ;)

Fynn
05-13-2016, 11:21 AM
So what classes do you guys play? And since you're all in the game for so much longer than we will be, wouldn't it be difficult for us to take on dungeons together?

Shauna
05-13-2016, 12:44 PM
Nah, high levels can sync down to help out through dungeons - so we'll be running as L15 just like you.

05-13-2016, 01:35 PM
I play mostly healer! White Mage and Astrologian.

Fynn
05-13-2016, 01:52 PM
I play mostly healer! White Mage and Astrologian.

Oh, that's good to know! :D