PDA

View Full Version : Advent Children (MAJOR SPOILERS)

Midgar Mist
05-11-2016, 07:51 AM
I hope I've chosen the right forum. It does say FF movies in the description.

Anyway I'd like to know some thoughts on this one.....

Mainly this: did anyone actually understand how it related to FF7's story?

What reason did Aerith have to hold back on her healing rain?

Why did the kids snap out of their mind control trance so easily? That shouldve been milked for all it was worth.

How did Sephiroth come back using only one Remnant and Jenovas head? Hardly a full celled Reunion is it?

Anyway, discuss.

Saber
05-11-2016, 10:31 AM
The kids were given a gift. That they would go to find mother together. As far as I know when Kadaj found Rufus had Jenovas head they snapped completely. As for Sephiroth coming back with just Kadaj it's simply because Jenova had the ability to turn into something else. S/he knew Sephiroth was the best and called him. Aerith rain was probably on an as needed bases. She didn't know if she healed the stigma if it would really save the world. The remnants might just recall a virus or do something else to end the world. Right when she did she put her faith that cloud would do what he ended up doing... saving the world.

My theory is not proof. It's just my theory.

Midgar Mist
05-11-2016, 12:58 PM
Its a valid theory so thanks :-)

maybee
05-11-2016, 02:06 PM
I hope I've chosen the right forum. It does say FF movies in the description.

Anyway I'd like to know some thoughts on this one.....

Mainly this: did anyone actually understand how it related to FF7's story?

Basically in short Cloud and Tifa want to try and live together and Tifa tries to revive Seventh Heaven and Cloud starts his own delivery business, but when the meteor almost hit the earth and got embraced with the Lifestream, some of the Lifestream was effected with Jenova cells- so those who got too close to the meteor when it almost hit got affected with a disease named Geostigma.
Cloud gets Geostigma and at this time he also gets a message from Aerith's adoptive Mum, and this triggers Cloud and he gets sudden guilt about Aerith's death.

Cloud becomes emo ! Cloud, basically.

Cloud upset over dying over Geostigma and the thought of letting Aerith go, starts to speak to Tifa less and less and in the end, he just leaves and starts living at Aerith's church in the ruins of Midgar.

Because this would be okay of a plot just enough for a short story or something and not a movie, the movie needs some action and fighting basically, so Sephiroth is basically split into three.

/ to put Advent Children's plot simply

She needed to get mythril from that guy in the sleeping cave and do a certain even number of battles in the Lifestream; I guess ?

Sephiroth
05-11-2016, 02:44 PM

Aerith was both very hesitant to show herself to Cloud as well as had trouble fighting Sephiroth in the lifestream. She had so much trouble approaching him that he even laughed when she retreated. More is not really explained in On the Way to a Smile, the book written by Kazushige Nojima. Really everything he tried to explain in the book was how much of the opposite of Sephiroth she was. He thought returning to the lifestream would mean becoming nothing, she thought it is the opposite, he wanted to appear before Cloud, even if not in his own form, she wanted to appear as her own true form, et cetera. She had some trouble but always tried to help Cloud. Even that soul conversation was picking up an old and special thing of FFVII again.

Why did the kids snap out of their mind control trance so easily? That shouldve been milked for all it was worth.

What do you mean so easily? They are manipulated through the JENOVA cells leftovers that are a part of Geostigma and are drawn to other cells. That does not mean they are in that influence forever. They can find themselves again, especially when they are not in direct control of Sephiroth.

How did Sephiroth come back using only one Remnant and Jenovas head? Hardly a full celled Reunion is it?

Anyway, discuss.

Sephiroth did NOT use JENOVA's head. That was said for the sake of convenience. The box contained just JENOVA cells, but not her head. Sephiroth's "reunion" was no direct reunion like JENOVA did. He and JENOVA can shapeshift. He did the exact same thing to wander around with JENOVA's headless body in his own form in FFVII. That was the "reunion" in Advent Children, only that Sephiroth, weakened at that time had to restore his own being a bit and form himself a body again so you could say it kind of was more of a reunion than his shapeshifting in the original game .Also Advent Children's initial title was supposed to be "reunion", they wanted a title that simply was giving away what would happen but then decided to not use the term but "advent" instead as it would also stand for Sephiroth coming back. Advent was the alternative for reunion and Children because they wanted to have children in the title as the movie had to do with them, so the Ultimania said.

Midgar Mist
05-11-2016, 05:15 PM
I haven't read those novellas so I missed out on those tidbits of information. Maybe I should try reading them if I can find them that is.

Also I knew about the shapeshifting thing in the main game, it just kind of threw me off when the remnant (temporarily forgotten his name) Said "my reunion" just before he became Sephiroth. Also the gang was going on about how he was a "larval form of Sephiroth" which seems to be suggesting something other than the usual shapeshifting that goes on.

Sephiroth
05-11-2016, 07:12 PM
I haven't read those novellas so I missed out on those tidbits of information. Maybe I should try reading them if I can find them that is.

Also I knew about the shapeshifting thing in the main game, it just kind of threw me off when the remnant (temporarily forgotten his name) Said "my reunion" just before he became Sephiroth. Also the gang was going on about how he was a "larval form of Sephiroth" which seems to be suggesting something other than the usual shapeshifting that goes on.

That is because Kadaj, Loz and Yazoo are actual individiual people that existed with their own consciousness. Before as well as in Advent Children. Sephiroth took three souls of guys who did not want to accept death, just as him, and used them. Though when he used them for his plan, he made them a part of his own being, so they were "themselves but at the same time a part of Sephiroth" you could say. They all represented a part of Sephiroth in a literal way and yet still were other guys. They had no actual idea how exactly they were connected, only that he would come back. You might have noticed, that Kadaj could not really tell how it worked. If you know Silent Hill: Alessa and Sheryl were two different individuals with two consciousnesses, yet shared one soul as base, Alessa's. It is not exactly the same, but close.

Sephiroth also was no longer completely aware of his own being as he lost a bit of himself to the lifestream while being weakened, so he had to read the mind of people to regather his own information. So you could say, as mentioned before, there was some kind of reunion going on, but to put it in a nutshell, it was simply Sephiroth running around, using hosts, using solid JENOVA cells, fusing with them, shapeshifting them and come back in his reformed body. The story is a bit more overcomplicated than in the original, as in the original he just activated JENOVA's reunion and then reshaped her body while he himself with another body was not even in contact, as he was at the Knowlespole, regenerating in the crater. One might explain that with JENOVA's actual head, as the original reunion works the way that the cells wander to the head and Sephiroth was able to call out for it that way so he might also have been able to reshape the body this way without even being close but truth be told, it never was that way. The story of Sephiroth was just, that, as he was the perfect result of the project, he was always able to make use of the cells and the abilities whenever he wanted. There were a lot of smaller details that never were too consistent, they "just were the way they were" for the sake of storytelling.