PDA

View Full Version : Mechanics you Love!

Wolf Kanno
05-11-2016, 09:29 AM
We've talked about mechanics we've hated or even ones that grew on us, but what are some mechanics that just make you say "Hell yeah! sign me up!" when you here or think about them.

Fynn
05-11-2016, 09:30 AM
JOB SYSTEM!!!!!

Also, anything that uses the D&D ruleset and mechanics is just an automatic win for me.

Vermachtnis
05-11-2016, 10:09 AM
Weapon/Skill/Spell proficiency, even more if a skill tree is attached.

Mirage
05-11-2016, 02:31 PM
JOB SYSTEM!!!!!

Also, anything that uses the D&D ruleset and mechanics is just an automatic win for me.

Job system!

Weapon proficiency!

sharkythesharkdogg
05-11-2016, 05:26 PM
I don't love him, but Guy Martin seems like a pretty cool mechanic to have a beer with. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Martin#Work_ethic)

Pumpkin
05-11-2016, 05:31 PM
sharkythesharkdogg!

Also yeah, job classes. Especially if they involve cute outfits.

On that note, games where you can change outfits. Also dating sims, difficulty settings, and sidequests galore.

Formalhaut
05-11-2016, 06:24 PM
sharkythesharkdogg!

Also yeah, job classes. Especially if they involve cute outfits.

On that note, games where you can change outfits. Also dating sims, difficulty settings, and sidequests galore.

Check on all accounts.

I also really morality systems when they're done well.

Peter1986
05-11-2016, 06:25 PM
I actually see a lot of potential in the "Say/Learn" interaction system in Final Fantasy 2 for the Famicom (usually called "Ask/Memorize" in later more official versions), and I kinda wish that more RPGs would allow the player to manually interact with NPCs like that.

Vermachtnis
05-11-2016, 08:01 PM
I actually see a lot of potential in the "Say/Learn" interaction system in Final Fantasy 2 for the Famicom (usually called "Ask/Memorize" in later more official versions), and I kinda wish that more RPGs would allow the player to manually interact with NPCs like that.

Yes, I was pretty excited with the tuturial for Cyber Sleuth came up explaining that. But then it turned out to be nothing more than talk to this one person with an ! above there head and never use the word or phrase again.

Peter1986
05-11-2016, 09:30 PM

Yes, I was pretty excited with the tuturial for Cyber Sleuth came up explaining that. But then it turned out to be nothing more than talk to this one person with an ! above there head and never use the word or phrase again.
*grunt*, I want more games with that system. :eek: :p

Anyway, I also have to say that I really enjoy Action RPGs!
I still remember the first time when a friend of mine insisted that I should try Star Ocean: The Second Story way back in 2002 or something like that, back when I was used to the sometimes tedious ATB system in the Final Fantasy games, and I felt an enormous rush of delight and excitement when I found out that I could actually run around on the battlefield and fight in real-time mostly like normal.
I spent a very long time fighting randomly outside of Arlia, and I believe Claude had learned at least 2-3 Killer Moves before I did anything else at all. :lol:

Midgar Mist
05-16-2016, 04:57 PM
In no particular order:

-Social Links
-Monster Fusion
-Traditional Auto Level Up/Stat Up
-TURN BASED BATTLES (read it.....and weep people.....weep)
-Sandbox
-Powerful Magic and Summons
-All the White Mages. All of them.
-Life Sim

Depression Moon
05-16-2016, 05:47 PM
What exactly is a mechanic?

Formalhaut
05-16-2016, 06:15 PM

A good point. Because a 'game mechanic', if featured heavily enough can transform into a a genre or sub-genre.

Many games have a design that could be construed as a feature of a genre if adopted enough.

My working definition of a 'game mechanic' is more akin to a gameplay system. Persona's social links, Final Fantasy's myriad levelling and ATB systems, and so on.

EDIT: :colbert:

Fynn
05-16-2016, 06:22 PM
*Reminding people this is a gen. RPG thread

Pheesh
05-17-2016, 12:39 AM
Endless loot. Games like Diablo and Destiny that require you to grind for the perfectly rolled items suck me in something fierce. By rights it should be a boring mechanic because it's tedious, but when you compare it to "oh, I killed a boss or did a thing, now I get the exact same weapon everyone else has." There's no contest in my mind.

I enjoy cosmetics. I like to have a character look unique even if the character models stay the same. Give me clothes, pets, accessories, and even upgradeable and customisable strongholds or bases are great.

Definitely prefer real time combat to turn based.

Madame Adequate
05-17-2016, 05:41 AM
Cidney

Dat ass :F

Depression Moon
05-18-2016, 07:53 PM

A good point. Because a 'game mechanic', if featured heavily enough can transform into a a genre or sub-genre.

Many games have a design that could be construed as a feature of a genre if adopted enough.

My working definition of a 'game mechanic' is more akin to a gameplay system. Persona's social links, Final Fantasy's myriad levelling and ATB systems, and so on.

EDIT: :colbert:

Okay, I was unsure. I've been using the term in the past, but realized I don't know exactly what it means. Initially I thought it was stuff like Batman's Detective Mode. The last thread talking about ones you had made me confused because I saw a lack of save points as a mechanic and then items.

Formalhaut
05-22-2016, 01:31 AM
Hope it helps slightly. My answer was more detailed until I had to remove anything that wasn't vaguely RPG related. Gaming mechanics are obviously present in all games.