PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed

charliepanayi
05-12-2016, 09:40 AM
Here's the first trailer. Can it break the usual video game adaptation curse?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfJVoF5ko1Y

Freya
05-12-2016, 03:19 PM
Oh man. That.

I'm

that's

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Formalhaut
05-12-2016, 03:28 PM
Can it break the usual video game adaptation curse?

I'm actually trying to think of a video game adaptation that didn't suck.

Shauna
05-12-2016, 04:04 PM
Prince of Persia was actually alright.

charliepanayi
05-12-2016, 04:19 PM
Can it break the usual video game adaptation curse?

It says a lot that the most popular answer for least worst video game adaptation is probably Mortal Kombat (over twenty years ago now), and even that isn't much good!

Mr. Carnelian
05-12-2016, 04:30 PM

I actually agree. It was hokum, but it was very entertaining hokum. Also, I actually quite like the Resident Evil films. Don't judge me.

I liked the trailer. Spanish Inquisition is a good choice, interested to see where they go with that. It's definitely a smart idea on their part to distinguish the film from the games, people would only complain they'd got it wrong if they tried to portary Ezio in Renaissance Florence, or whatever.

Freya
05-12-2016, 04:53 PM
Apparently, I've heard that it is canon with the games though. So that's interesting.

Depression Moon
05-12-2016, 05:48 PM
With the exception of the Kanye song, it's a good trailer. I'm keeping my expectations in check given the history of video game movie adaptations.

Aulayna
05-12-2016, 08:57 PM
The historical stuff looked cool. The Animus being a giant robotic arm was pretty fucking lame though.

Mr. Carnelian
05-12-2016, 11:15 PM
The historical stuff looked cool. The Animus being a giant robotic arm was pretty smurfing lame though.

Actually, I think it kind of works. In the games, Desmond somehow became all athletic and fit despite doing nothing but lie down for a few months. BUT, if the Animus actually makes your body exert itself and whatnot, then it makes sense that you could become able to do those kind of things.

DMKA
05-13-2016, 12:14 AM
The song is beyond terrible and doesn't fit at all. But other than that, it actually looks like it might be a decent film. Which pleasantly shocks me because I was fully expecting it to look like complete and utter crap when we finally saw footage.

The first Tomb Raider was a just okay film but absolutely crucified the characters it was based on. Same goes for the first Resident Evil movie. Then there was Ratchet and Clank which is probably the most faithful video game film to date but is pure fanservice and lost on everyone else. I've heard that Silent Hill was pretty good too.

But aside of those, yeah, everything else has ranged from just bad, to so bad it's good, to so bad it's horrible, to films so poorly constructed that their acting and production values look bad by indie Youtube project standards.

Some of the worst films I've ever sat through have been based on video games, now that I think about it.

SammieBabe
05-13-2016, 01:19 PM
It looks really, really cool.

And I'd say that even if Michael Fassbender wasn't shirtless for part of it. :bigsmile:

Freya
05-13-2016, 02:31 PM
I remember Ubiesoft fighting with movie companies about the rights for this. They said they wanted creative control and the movie companies said nope! But finally one did and thus it was made! So if Ubiesoft has the say, it'll fair better i think.

I also read they were going to be working on a Splinter Cell series too.

Shaibana
05-15-2016, 06:12 PM

I actually agree. It was hokum, but it was very entertaining hokum. Also, I actually quite like the Resident Evil films. Don't judge me.

i liked Prince of Persia.

and i judge you..
i have seen them all and its Alice that really just kicks me in the lady-nuts.
she doesnt belong there, i dont like her, i dont like her acting.. she needs to go

back to the topic:
im going to watch this movie either way and i am a confident that Mr. Fassbender can pull this of.
Even if this movie flops im pretty sure it wont be his fault.
i like him

Ayen
06-08-2016, 08:40 AM
The choreography look on point and hearing Ubisoft has creative control gives me hope. 20th Century Fox has been doing all right with the X-Men license, but some of their adaptations has problems with their characters being in name only and acting nothing like their original counterparts. Legend of Chun-Li and Dragon Ball are the main examples I can think of, though pretty extreme.

I can concur the first Silent Hill movie is good unless you were a fan of the original game story, then it falls pretty flat. Still better than most, especially on a visual front and the casting of Alessa was near perfect. Mortal Kombat is all right, with one of the better casting out there, but it falls into comedy way too much for my liking. Prince of Persia was good, but it probably helps that I know trout all about the game it's based on.

The original RE movie is okay if you look at it as a hokey B rated movie like the ones that inspired the series in the first place. Though I'm pretty sure that was unintentional. I don't give the director that much credit.