PDA

View Full Version : Which original great house is your favourite?

Psychotic
05-12-2016, 06:02 PM
Come join my LAN party. Lannisters are devious little sods and have a Scrooge McDuck money pool. You can take your northern honour and shove it.

Mr. Carnelian
05-12-2016, 06:09 PM
Tyrell. Just because of Granny Tyrell, who is EVERYTHING.

Jinx
05-12-2016, 06:09 PM
Show? Lannisters. Books? Lannisters and Martells.

Psychotic
05-12-2016, 06:24 PM
Show? Lannisters. Books? Lannisters and Martells.Why do you like book Martells? I don't see much good in them. Doran is wracked by indecision while being fixated on vengeance and Arianne is incredibly self-absorbed. Quentyn was the only half decent one and most fans hated him without really getting his arc.

Formalhaut
05-12-2016, 06:27 PM
Honestly, I don't really have a favourite. I can think of good points about all the houses.

Psychotic
05-12-2016, 06:29 PM
Honestly, I don't really have a favourite. I can think of good points about all the houses.What's the best point about House Arryn?

Formalhaut
05-12-2016, 06:31 PM
:sigh:

https://uproxx.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/d-rooooooooop.gif?w=650

Not going to lie, that was a pretty satisfying scene.

Freya
05-12-2016, 06:32 PM
I don't really have a favorite. Looking at that list, I like Littlefingers house the best cause he's just so scheming. Not cause I like him but cause he interests me.

Jinx
05-12-2016, 06:34 PM
One word: Arianne.

Mr. Carnelian
05-12-2016, 06:35 PM
I don't really have a favorite. Looking at that list, I like Littlefingers house the best cause he's just so scheming. Not cause I like him but cause he interests me.

Where the smurf is he now, though? He seems to have just disappeared.

Formalhaut
05-12-2016, 06:36 PM

We've not actually seeing Littlefinger yet this season. Where has he ran off to, I wonder?

Psychotic
05-12-2016, 06:40 PM
One word: Arianne.Oh nooooo. She is the worst. She is absolutely obsessed with Quentyn and completely insecure about him. She has her ridiculous and ill thought out plan and spends more time imagining herself being sung about in history and how she'll let her father go out with dignity rather than actually working on the plan. Instead she hires a fucking psycho to join in just because she fancies him, and manipulates and lies to Ser Arys and does nothing to stop him killed.

I thought her imprisonment by Doran had sorted her out, but her TWoW chapters have revealed she's gone right back to obsessing over Quentyn again.

Jinx
05-12-2016, 06:41 PM
Okay, but I like her. You asked why I like the Martells. There's your answer.

Formalhaut
05-12-2016, 06:43 PM
Ridiculous, ill-thought out plans? Doesn't that basically summarise the region of Dorne in general? Maybe it's the heat.

Psychotic
05-12-2016, 06:49 PM
Okay, but I like her. You asked why I like the Martells. There's your answer.Yes this is all true but I was kind of hoping you'd say "yes but like her because x and y and that cool z thing she did" because I would like to know what someone who likes her sees in her, because I don't want to dislike any PoV.

Ridiculous, ill-thought out plans? Doesn't that basically summarise the region of Dorne in general? Maybe it's the heat.Yeah, I am convinced Dorne - as a region, not just a political entity - is going to get fucking wrecked in the books. I have no idea about the show.

Jinx
05-12-2016, 07:28 PM
I like her, because even if she is insecure (and I personally believe that's the wrong word to use), she's strong and is willing to fight for what she wants and believes she deserves. Also, she's clever. I think it's arguable that every character in ASoIaF makes really shitty decisions. Yes, even Tyrion. They're all "insecure" about something and let that control their motives.

Psychotic
05-12-2016, 07:30 PM
Oh yeah, especially Tyrion. He's just as insecure himself!

Mirage
05-12-2016, 07:41 PM
Is Stark still considered a great house with just like two living members left?

Anyway, I'm still rooting for them.

Pike
05-12-2016, 08:56 PM
FIRE AND BLOOD

beautiful
batshit crazy
wonderful

Madame Adequate
05-12-2016, 08:57 PM
I don't see any other assholes using dragons to unify a continent or being as fucking badass and batshit crazy as the Targaryens so uhhh yeah I'm gonna go with the House who isn't basic af.

Night Fury
05-12-2016, 09:13 PM
Lannister.

Obviously.

Madame Adequate
05-12-2016, 09:40 PM
I don't see dany paraded naked through the streets by a person she herself raised to power

Psychotic
05-12-2016, 09:42 PM
I don't see dany paraded naked through the streets by a person she herself raised to powerHey how's that Mad King of yours.

Oh.

Oh wait.

Never mind eh, at least Rhaenys and Aegon are

oh

oops

Red cloaks always come in handy.

Madame Adequate
05-12-2016, 09:45 PM
Yeah all that killing and yet Westeros is still fated to bend the knee to a Targaryen ruler

Night Fury
05-12-2016, 10:04 PM
She's doing a fabulous job of taking over Westeros.

From inside her widow tent, in her widow rags.

http://media3.popsugar-assets.com/files/2015/04/13/061/n/1922398/bcac6097_edit_img_cover_file_845210_1428947614_Beautiful-ShrugTG6mnO.xxxlarge/i/Cersei-Lannister-GIFs.gif

Rantz
05-12-2016, 10:06 PM
All the great houses seem to have a number of dumbasses, but I'll have to go with the Greyjoys for being interesting, and for taking advantage of the general chaos to stir up all kinds of shit from a position of no power at all.

Jinx
05-12-2016, 10:15 PM
All the great houses seem to have a number of dumbasses, but I'll have to go with the Greyjoys for being interesting, and for taking advantage of the general chaos to stir up all kinds of trout from a position of no power at all.

Yeah, Asha (Yara) is my favorite character, followed by Davos.

Bubba
05-12-2016, 10:56 PM
I take no family name.

Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honour to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.

Gondor needs no king.

Expelliarmus.

Mr. Carnelian
05-12-2016, 11:11 PM

http://media3.popsugar-assets.com/files/2015/04/13/061/n/1922398/bcac6097_edit_img_cover_file_845210_1428947614_Beautiful-ShrugTG6mnO.xxxlarge/i/Cersei-Lannister-GIFs.gif

Shots fired!

Good point, though, Dany really hasn't been doing well recently. So far, she's demonstrated that she's great at conquering but pretty trouty at ruling and maintaining control. ALL of the cities she conquered have now risen up against her. Hopefully, she can turn that all around this season.

Formalhaut
05-12-2016, 11:20 PM
Though Cersei's hardly been a stellar ruler herself. I mean, honestly, none of them have, really?

Night Fury
05-12-2016, 11:34 PM
After 5 seasons, Cersei's family is still on the Iron Throne....

Also it helps that Charles Dance, Peter Dinklege, and Lena Headey are some of the best actors on the show!

Formalhaut
05-13-2016, 12:17 AM
After 5 seasons, Cersei's family is still on the Iron Throne....

... barely. Tommen is basically a puppet, swayed by either the faith militant or Margaery. They've done well, the Lannisters, but they're in no means in a comfortable position.

Jinx
05-13-2016, 12:32 AM

Shots fired!

Good point, though, Dany really hasn't been doing well recently. So far, she's demonstrated that she's great at conquering but pretty trouty at ruling and maintaining control. ALL of the cities she conquered have now risen up against her. Hopefully, she can turn that all around this season.

This has book stuff, but it's a VERY well written 5? part essay about why what you said is actually very, very untrue. Quite an interesting read, if you don't mind spoiling yourself on book stuff (you're up to date in the show, but if you ever plan on reading the books, stuff that happened in them but not the show will be revealed to you).

https://meereeneseblot.wordpress.com/2013/09/27/untangling-the-meereenese-knot-part-i-who-poisoned-the-locusts/

Pheesh
05-13-2016, 12:38 AM
Stark. My hopes rise and fall with Arya.

escobert
05-14-2016, 06:47 AM
whoever pays the most.

Mr. Carnelian
05-14-2016, 01:24 PM
This has book stuff, but it's a VERY well written 5? part essay about why what you said is actually very, very untrue. Quite an interesting read, if you don't mind spoiling yourself on book stuff (you're up to date in the show, but if you ever plan on reading the books, stuff that happened in them but not the show will be revealed to you).

https://meereeneseblot.wordpress.com/2013/09/27/untangling-the-meereenese-knot-part-i-who-poisoned-the-locusts/

This essay is very interesting, but it doesn't invalidate my point. Based on what we see in the show - which is all I have to go on, seeing as I don't read the books due to finding Martin's writing style unbearable - Dany is doing a BAD job at the moment. Her biggest mistake was assuming that everyone would thank her for upending the status quo, when in fact much of the population was heavily invested in the way things were, even some of the slaves. She also failed to keep any occupying force in the cities she took before Meereen. Or at least, not ones big enough to stop the cities from being retaken. The essay doesn't even address these key points. I like Dany, and I'm sure she can do better, but so far she's done a BAD job of ruling Slaver's Bay.

Del Murder
05-14-2016, 06:19 PM
The Tyrells like to hedge their bets and go which ever way the wind is blowing. Seems like the smartest thing to do in this world. Also Queen of Thorns is awesome.

Midgar Mist
05-14-2016, 06:31 PM
The Starks, cos theyre the good guys

I include the gorgeous Jon Snow in this (Swoons)

FFNut
05-14-2016, 09:09 PM
The only thing I have to go on with the Tully's is Sam who I love as Jons bestie. However he speaks very ill of his father. I'd go with the Lannister's

Del Murder
05-15-2016, 03:24 AM
Sam isn't a Tully, he's a Tarly. They are not a major house. And then there's Brienne of Tarth. Tully, Tarly, Tarth. Confusing a smurf. Know what's an easy name to remember? House Redwyne. Guess what they make.

Psychotic
05-15-2016, 09:23 AM
Ships.

Night Fury
05-16-2016, 01:11 PM

Rescinded.

Midgar Mist
05-16-2016, 02:39 PM
I take no family name.

Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honour to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.

Gondor needs no king.

Expelliarmus.

Bubba, you win The Midgar Mist Prize for Best Thread Answer.

Ayen
06-07-2016, 07:31 AM
Stark.

Though I also always had a thing for House Baratheon. Something about that stag, and black hair, and blue eyes.

And the abs.

Forsaken Lover
06-07-2016, 07:48 AM
"the Targaryens answered to neither gods nor men."

"House Targaryen had ruled Dragonstone for more than two hundred years, since Lord Aenar Targaryen first arrived from Valyria with his dragons. Though it had always been their custom to wed brother to sister and cousin to cousin, young blood runs hot, and it was not unknown for men of the House to seek their pleasures amongst the daughters (and even the wives) of their subjects, the smallfolk who lived in the villages below the Dragonmont, tillers of the land and fishers of the sea. Indeed, until the reign of King Jaehaerys and Good Queen Alysanne, the ancient law of the first night had prevailed on Dragonstone, as it did throughout Westeros, whereby it was the right of a lord to bed any maiden in his domain upon her wedding night.

Though this custom was greatly resented elsewhere in the Seven Kingdoms, by men of a jealous temperament who did not grasp the honor being conferred upon them, such feelings were muted upon Dragonstone, where Targaryens were rightly regarded as being closer to gods than the common run of men. Here, brides thus blessed upon their wedding nights were envied, and the children born of such union s were esteemed above all others, for the Lords of Dragonstone oft celebrated the birth of such with lavish gifts of gold and silk and land to the mother. These happy bastards were said to have been “born of dragonseed,” and in time became known simply as “seeds.” Even after the end of the right of the first night, certain Targaryens continued to dally with the daughters of innkeeps and the wives of fishermen, so seeds and the sons of seeds were plentiful on Dragonstone."