PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me, or is YouTube extremely annoying to use nowadays?

Peter1986
05-14-2016, 07:59 PM
This will probably turn into a rant, but basically I am interested in hearing your experiences on this.

The last few years or so I have had a bunch of very irritating problems with YouTube, and most of them have no clear purpose and are just inconvenient.
Most of them are not really any major issues, but all of them together makes navigating the site much more unpleasant nowadays than it needs to be.
First of all, I just recently started noticing that almost every time I have a video open and then log in, I get thrown back to a previous video that I had open before that, which means that I have to reopen the last video again.
Why does it do that?
It should just send me back to the video that was last open.
I clicked the "Log In" button, not the "Back" button.
But this is just one example of many problems.
Another problem is that when I post a comment and feel that I want to Edit it, the Edit button sometimes doesn't respond.
So I have to delete the comment itself and edit it before posting it as a new comment.
The ONLY explanation I can think of in this case is that the Edit button is bugged in some way, because there is absolutely no reason whatsoever for it to randomly disobey.

Yet another problem, which by the way has existed for a very long time, is that YouTube videos always have to start loading whenever I skip to a different part of that video.
I remember being able to just load a video ONCE and then when it was finished I could skip around on it however I wanted even on Offline status, because it had finished loading at that point, but now it treats every single skip as a command to start loading again from that point?
Why?!
Could YouTube no longer afford videos that could stay fully loaded after being skipped to a different part or something?
And yet another relatively old problem is that I cannot post replies to all users, only some of them.
I never had that issue back when YouTube was new.

But hey, I am not done yet, there is another issue, the big one - Ghost Banning!
God, I absolutely hate this one.
Ghost Banning essentially means that it looks like you post comments like normal, but in fact nobody else can read them.
That's as if every single member on a discussion forum were to put you on their Ignore list, which obviously wouldn't happen unless you were incredibly annoying, at which point you would have quickly got properly banned for real instead anyway.
This Ghost Banning thing can also happen to anyone, because you just need to post some comments that go against the opinions of other particularly unreasonable people (even something like defending the moon landings on a moon landing conspiracy video), and then they can Flag you until you are considered a "bot" or something.

I discovered a few months ago that I could only post some mysterious limited number of comments on YouTube until I got temporarily ghostbanned for the rest of the day.
I refused to accept that, because if the quantity of posts is a problem then YouTube should tell me that I have exceeded my maximum amount of posts until Year-Day-Time YYYY-DD-HH:MM, so that I knew when I could start posting stuff again;
instead, it just ghostbans me.
So what I did to get around this was that I actually created an extra account as backup, under the exactly same username, so that I could use that instead when the other one got banned.
This works, but it also leads to a bunch of other really weird problems:
if I respond to a comment that has not received any other replies yet, my comment won't be visible.
BUT, if I log out and post the same reply with the OTHER account, then it will be visible all of a sudden.
It just kinda hid in there, like a reverse ghostban, so that I couldn't see it, but everyone else could.
So I go back to the first account and delete the first version of that post, since it is no longer necessary, and then the post from the second account remains.
That's seriously what I have to nowadays in order to make my replies to someone visible to myself if nobody else has given that person a reply.
And THAT is just atrocious.
Why must I post the same reply on two different accounts to make one of them visible like this?!
I have no idea what's up with YouTube these days, it's so frustrating and so unintuitive that it blows my mind.
Am I missing something here, or is YouTube actually this weird to other people?

DMKA
05-14-2016, 08:12 PM
YouTube progressively gets worse with every major change. I have a feeling now that the "YouTube Red" BS is a thing it's only going to get even worse.

Peter1986
05-14-2016, 08:14 PM
YouTube progressively gets worse with every major change. I have a feeling now that the "YouTube Red" BS is a thing it's only going to get even worse.
Ah, so it's not just me, then.
I have always felt like YouTube has become less and less userfriendly over the years.

EDIT:
Okay, I just discovered 3 new flaws on YouTube that I haven't seen before:

I can no longer easily choose to see many comments at once, now I have to click that Show More button over and over

When I reply to a comment, that comment will sometimes completely disappear!
Seriously, it will sometimes become impossible to find it in the comment section after I have replied to it.
So apparently I have the random power to remove comments from YouTube now or something.

When I try to Edit a comment, certain symbols in the text will sometimes turn into some kind of code gibberish or something.
Like for example, the sentence "What's up?" would look like "What&3345;s up?" or something like that.
Why in the world does this happen?
I have never seen any other site do something like this anywhere, ever.
And this isn't even consistent, it happens sometimes, not every time.

There is something seriously wrong with YouTube nowadays, these issues cannot be normal.