PDA

View Full Version : Euro 2016 Thread

charliepanayi
05-17-2016, 07:55 PM
The football season still has a week or two left to run, but thought I'd set this thread up now. Make your predictions! How badly will England fail this time, and will it be the end for Hodgson afterwards?

My money's on France. Can't wait either way. 24 teams is probably too many but we'll just have to see how it goes.

Psychotic
05-17-2016, 08:01 PM
Über alles.

Shauna
05-17-2016, 08:08 PM
Scotland needs to step it up. The rest of the British Isles family made it through, we're just the lame little brother.

Anyway as always I am backing the Spaniards.

Crop
05-17-2016, 11:12 PM
Already organised the sweepstake in work, I drew Ireland which I'm happy with.

I'll be heading to England to watch the first England game, but it legit sucks to be English in Wales during the Euros and World Cup, I've had some serious non-banter abuse and narrow escapes when trying to watch a game before. After England I support all the home nations over any other country, very rare it seems.

That said, I'm still pumped for it. Booked the whole week off work for the start of the tournament.

Bubba
05-18-2016, 03:14 AM
Germany. Calling this like I called the Eurovision.

Only... Australia probably won't win.

Old Manus
05-18-2016, 03:09 PM
I've had some serious non-banter abuse and narrow escapesI see you too have met Plaid Cymru voters.

Cymru am byth. I'm thinking about putting some money down on us going out without scoring a goal. The tournament is more or less a dead rubber to most people. In reality I'm feeling France too, provided they manage to get through their mandatory pre-tournament handbag fight without any coaches sacking players or Patrice Evra getting a bump on the head and thinking he's Fidel Castro. I've also got a good feeling about Albania not being as trout as they sound.

Also, whisper it, but...I think England might actually be massive dark horses, you know. They've finally offloaded most of the utter garbage that made up the team of the last 10 years (though Milner is still playing), Wayne Rooney has had his neck forcibly wound in, and their football at the moment just doesn't look trout. It all depends on Germany getting knocked out by somebody else, though.

Psychotic
05-18-2016, 03:32 PM
What, James Milner, 2016 assist king? Get out of here. His non-set piece crossing is ridiculously good.

Bubba
05-25-2016, 11:22 AM
England could be the new Leicester.

Aerith's Knight
05-25-2016, 06:14 PM
I'm going to support our colony. Go Belgium!

Rocket Edge
05-26-2016, 05:24 PM
Already organised the sweepstake in work, I drew Ireland which I'm happy with.

I'll be heading to England to watch the first England game, but it legit sucks to be English in Wales during the Euros and World Cup, I've had some serious non-banter abuse and narrow escapes when trying to watch a game before. After England I support all the home nations over any other country, very rare it seems.

That said, I'm still pumped for it. Booked the whole week off work for the start of the tournament.
Nice! Ireland has a better chance here than in the last Euros but we've still drawn a hard group with Italy, Belgium, & Sweden. Still, get a win against Sweden and sneak a draw against any of the other two and we could get by!

I'm the same as well. I'll support Wales and England when they play, contrary to what most people think.

It's awfully hard to predict this year. There's no stand out teams. I think England have a genuine chance. I think the likes of Alli, Smalling, and Rose will be huge for them. Then there's underdogs like Poland with a terrific frontline of Lewandowski and Milik feeding him all the time. Perišić, Bale, Sigurdsson, to shine for the underdogs.

The best defence almost always wins these tournaments, but my choice of winner is... France.

I know it's hard to look by Spain/Germany/Belgium, but I think they have the best in-from attacking squad. Varane out is a blow but I expect Martial & Greizmann to really shine. And if Payet starts, magical. Plus the benefit of home advantage.

Aerith's Knight
05-27-2016, 09:45 PM
Netherlands - Ireland 1:1

May be one of the worst matches so far. Just sinking into a deeper hole. You know you're in trouble when one guy goes off the field and everyone is wondering who the hell will be the captain.

Psychotic
05-27-2016, 10:07 PM
Marcus Rashford must be on the plane and start every game and we should build the side around him for the next ten years after he leads us to Euro 2016 glory.

Unless he's shit and doesn't score a hat trick in every game and in which case he's a bottler who let his country down and should be booed at every available opportunity.

As always, if any tabloid editors are reading I am available.

charliepanayi
05-27-2016, 10:25 PM
Rashford is one Euro 2016 goal away from being hailed as the next Pele

Aerith's Knight
05-27-2016, 10:29 PM
Put any more pressure on the guy and we'll have a whole different type of hydraulic press channel.

Rocket Edge
05-30-2016, 04:34 PM
Who do you guys think England should cut? Delph is already a certainty. I'd go with Barkley/Wilshire personally for the other two.

charliepanayi
05-31-2016, 02:15 PM
Drinkwater, Delph and Townsend cut:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Manchester City), Tom Heaton (Burnley), Fraser Forster (Southampton).

Defenders: John Stones (Everton), Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Kyle Walker (Tottenham), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Danny Rose (Tottenham).

Midfielders: Adam Lallana (Liverpool), Dele Alli (Tottenham), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Raheem Sterling (Man City), Ross Barkley (Everton), Eric Dier (Tottenham), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal), James Milner (Liverpool).

Forwards: Jamie Vardy (Leicester City), Marcus Rashford (Man Utd), Wayne Rooney (Man Utd), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Harry Kane (Tottenham).

Bubba
05-31-2016, 03:16 PM
It was a tough call between Sturridge and Rashford so I can understand why he's brought both. I think we'll lose something in midfield though. I don't think our defenders will have enough protection.

Crop
06-01-2016, 11:23 PM
Genuine question: anyone doing the panini stickers? Will trade all swapsies.

charliepanayi
06-02-2016, 10:57 AM
I had Austria down as possible dark horses for this tournament, but now I'm not so sure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfeYPJZeNd8

Old Manus
06-02-2016, 12:22 PM
It's just like on FIFA when you accidentally send a pass in the wrong direction.

Bubba
06-02-2016, 12:29 PM
I think it was more like when you've scored a goal while your mate was on the toilet and he insists that you even things up.

Psychotic
06-03-2016, 12:57 PM
I don't know what the living smurf Hodgson is doing but I wish he'd stop being a twat. You can't play Rooney, Vardy and Kane in the same side. Just when you thought we were safe from the Gerrard - Lampard shoehorning this pops up. Rooney is not a midfielder, Vardy is not a left wing back and Harry Kane is not a goalkeeper or whatever the smurf it is you were doing with him. Pick two of them and play them as strikers.

charliepanayi
06-10-2016, 06:53 PM
It begins today!

Old Manus
06-10-2016, 08:58 PM
Euro 2016 Pundit Cup:

Emmanuel Petit: 10/10 Suavest man in existence. Looks like a ponytailed Jeremy Corbyn. Slagging off Frenchmen everywhere
Slaven Bilic: 7/10 ADVANCED HAIR STUDIO
Lee Dixon: 3/10 It's like Match of the Day but worse
Marion Bartoli: Genuinely the most outrageous call for a football presenter of all time (next to Louis Saha whom she is also standing next to)

Bubba
06-10-2016, 09:55 PM
Payet that one out!

I'm here all tournament, folks.

Psychotic
06-10-2016, 09:59 PM
Pfft, I'd payet to see that again.

Formalhaut
06-10-2016, 10:19 PM
While the football's happening, it is nice to know that some things never change. English football 'fans', enjoying themselves by basically being idiots and causing havoc (https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/10/england-fans-violence-marseille-police-european-championship). We're not even playing today!

Pfft, I'd payet to see that again.

.... :tumble:

charliepanayi
06-11-2016, 07:11 PM
Good start for Wales

Psychotic
06-11-2016, 08:48 PM
First half wasn't bad at all. But then we needed to score. I have nightmares of that famous Sven phrase "first half good, second half not so good."

I... haven't hated Rooney in midfield. Like, putting aside the infamous Hollywood balls which got the commentators needlessly jizzy, he's actually been really good with the short ground passes, driving England forwards.

Need to talk about Harry though. Why in the fuck is he taking corners? I know this is the generic Twitter comment de jour but it's true. He's also not looked sharp in general. Vardy or Sturridge please. Or both even!

Formalhaut
06-11-2016, 08:53 PM
England is knocking down Russia's door like a battering ram. They've barely been able to mount a sustained attack throughout most of that first half.

Rooney's position is okay, actually. I have no complaints from him. Rose is doing very well as well. If things continue like this, England will probably win.

EDIT: Enjoying the match though. I haven't watched a full game in months. I couldn't do this when Mr. Carny's home; he's not a fan of football. Finds it tedious and boring. I for one am enjoying this nice fruity cider while watching the game.

My only gripe is something I have no control over: the wi-fi. Winchester still lives in the stone age when it comes to reliable internet connections, using crappy old wiring and cables. I have to watch the game in 20 seconds bursts, followed by a 5 second stutter. Ugh.

Psychotic
06-11-2016, 09:51 PM
I have nightmares of that famous Sven phrase "first half good, second half not so good."This.

Also I've decided I hate Rooney in midfield. Too many close up shots of his face and the texture of his skin makes me feel queasy. It's like one of those weird Polish sausages you get behind the deli counter.

charliepanayi
06-11-2016, 09:52 PM
Doh! So England still haven't won an opening game at a European Championship.

Formalhaut
06-11-2016, 09:54 PM
England 1 - 1 Russia

(Eng) Dier 73'
(Rus) Berezutski 90'

Well, damn. A last-minute goal from Russia condemns England with a solitary point. Not the best result, though they did play well. Russia did much better in the second half. Both teams got a bit tired towards the end though.

Just listening to the Dier interview:

"Well, at least we didn't lose"

Truer words have never before been spoken.

Fox
06-11-2016, 09:59 PM
Ah, if only this England team could also have Scholes and Sol Campbell, they might have a shot!

Formalhaut
06-11-2016, 10:04 PM
I'm liking the new ITV pundit pen, but it does make Ian Wright look like he has the Eiffel Tower for legs.

Old Manus
06-12-2016, 11:50 AM
Viva Bale Hala Hal

Formalhaut
06-14-2016, 10:46 PM
In heartwarming underdog news, Iceland held the giants that are Portugal to a well earned draw (https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/14/portugal-iceland-euro-2016-match-report)! Well done!

Psychotic
06-15-2016, 06:38 AM
I think Hungary beating Austria was more of an upset!

charliepanayi
06-15-2016, 09:10 AM
Looks like I already put the jinx on Austria. Though Iceland were underdogs against Portugal, I think people underestimated them a bit. They topped a qualifying group with Czech Republic, Turkey and Holland in it, and only missed out on the last World Cup in the playoffs.

Old Manus
06-15-2016, 09:41 AM
I've just remembered that Holland didn't qualify. My morning has just improved.

Formalhaut
06-15-2016, 01:49 PM
In other Iceland news, Ronaldo is sore that his Portugal team didn't win. Awww.

Cristiano Ronaldo is the person with a small mentality, not the Iceland players (https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/15/cristiano-ronaldo-portugal-iceland-small-mentality)

charliepanayi
06-15-2016, 03:31 PM
Got to love Ronaldo's lack of self-awareness.

Psychotic
06-15-2016, 09:46 PM
I'm going to jinx it by posting this with 5 minutes still to go but I tell you what, for all the hype about France and their sick midfield, their defence is pretty awful and probably on a par with England's. Never accepted the Arsenal fan hype about Koscielny, Evra is off the pace and given the number of mistimed tackles against Albania that penalty he conceded against Romania won't be a one off, Rami was the only Sevilla player who wouldn't have looked out of place in the woeful Liverpool team in the EL final and the less said about Sagna the better.

EDIT: jinxed it.

E2: really fucking jinxed it, christ

Formalhaut
06-16-2016, 01:10 AM
I'm going to jinx it by posting this with 5 minutes still to go but I tell you what, for all the hype about France and their sick midfield, their defence is pretty awful and probably on a par with England's. Never accepted the Arsenal fan hype about Koscielny, Evra is off the pace and given the number of mistimed tackles against Albania that penalty he conceded against Romania won't be a one off, Rami was the only Sevilla player who wouldn't have looked out of place in the woeful Liverpool team in the EL final and the less said about Sagna the better.

E2: really smurfing jinxed it, christ

Look what you done! France scored both their goals in the final five minutes.

Were they really that bad though throughout the rest of the game?

Pheesh
06-16-2016, 02:00 AM

E2: really fucking jinxed it, christ

That's actually hilarious. You have a gift, sir.

Pete for President
06-16-2016, 05:42 AM
Netherlands represent!

... oh wait.

Old Manus
06-16-2016, 09:09 AM
CALON LAN

Kalevala
06-16-2016, 01:00 PM

E2: really smurfing jinxed it, christ

Holy shit, that is amazing.

Psychotic
06-16-2016, 01:20 PM
If you think that's good, you should've seen how badly I jinxed the World Cup with my signature:

http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/156526-2014-FIFA-World-Cup-in-Brazil?p=3445567&viewfull=1#post3445567

Not only did every team I put in get beaten but it happened in a really bad way - for example Uruguay's star player went mad and bit an opponent, Brazil getting thumped 7-1 etc. As I mentioned in the post, when I put Fellaini's afro in the sig it got shaved off. When I put my beloved Dirk in the sig he got elbowed in the back of the head as the Dutch got beaten.

The entire thread is full of people imploring me to curse another team or getting mad at me for cursing one of theirs. You'll note I have not gone with a signature this time around. The power is too great for one man to wield.

Old Manus
06-16-2016, 01:31 PM
I can't concentrate on my work this morning. The evil filthy corporate privateers exploiting my labour for profit have set up the big screen, are providing food and beers and given an extra hour for lunch. The MD is pacing the office floor. My Facebook news feed is blowing up. I love football.

Old Manus
06-16-2016, 02:47 PM
Rueuxjrufyshqoxueiwixhdbtjeucuvywuqksjcnrhsuxgvis

Psychotic
06-16-2016, 02:50 PM
It's coming home lads. The team, that is. Awful, awful, awful. No way Wales give up this lead, no way the likes of Kane and Sterling can unlock it.

Formalhaut
06-16-2016, 03:34 PM
It's a draw now, currently on 74 minutes. But damn if Wales aren't making England work for it.

Bubba
06-16-2016, 03:53 PM
YNWA

charliepanayi
It's coming home lads. The team, that is. Awful, awful, awful. No way Wales give up this lead, no way the likes of Kane and Sterling can unlock it.

Great jinxing again!

Shauna

Was this an anti-jinx?

Psychotic
06-16-2016, 03:54 PM
Sturridge is a smurfing monster. That looked a lot easier than it actually was. Fair smurfs to Hodgson for the changes - I did say Sterling and Kane wouldn't be able to do it! NOW LEARN YOUR LESSON HODGSON. Don't start them again please.
It's a draw now, currently on 74 minutes. But damn if Wales aren't making England work for it.Not at all. Not to be harsh but Wales have been pretty awful. As soon as Sturridge and Vardy came on they were terrified. They dropped deep and camped in their own penalty area. Could've easily smashed a poor England defence on the counter but didn't ask any questions of them. The BBC will patronise them and say they put in a good passionate shift or whatever but you get what you deserve.

Formalhaut
06-17-2016, 12:31 AM
I don't know, England left it very late to score. I'm just concerned about England's ability to actually convert dominance into goals. Both Russia and Wales weren't terribly good, and even then England drew against Russia and clinched a last-minute winner against Wales. I'm concerned against sterner competition they may not be able to hold up.

Bubba
06-17-2016, 12:57 AM
I don't know, England left it very late to score. I'm just concerned about England's ability to actually convert dominance into goals. Both Russia and Wales weren't terribly good, and even then England drew against Russia and clinched a last-minute winner against Wales. I'm concerned against sterner competition they may not be able to hold up.

They won't be able to hold up. I'm fine with this. We're clearly not in the same league as some of the other competing teams. I'm just glad we shut those Welsh "full of pride" f**kers up. Shut it, you :bou::bou::bou::bou:s.

Psychotic
06-17-2016, 06:40 AM
Yeah, exactly. As soon as England come up against anyone halfway decent they'll get battered, same as it ever was. We're used to it and it's fine, but yesterday is a rare game worth celebrating.

As Bubba said, Welsh players were trash talking non stop before the game, Gareth Bale notably saying England had less passion and that no England player would get into the Welsh team. I'm fine with that, it's much more interesting than the usual generic boring footballer quotes. But then when you do that, you forfeit your underdogs tag and if all you do is stick ten men behind the ball then you don't deserve any of the "oh they're so brave" platitudes.

Especially when Albania (a worse team than Wales) offered much more of a threat against France (a better team than England) the day before.

Old Manus
06-17-2016, 09:53 AM
I cashed out my flutter on the 1-1 draw in the 85th minute so I'm happy.

charliepanayi
06-17-2016, 03:18 PM
Oh dear, we're getting some ropey games at the moment, hopefully it will pick up again soon.

Formalhaut
06-17-2016, 03:24 PM
Huh, I didn't know Wales were doing all that trash talking. I'm not a fan of trash talkers.

Old Manus
06-17-2016, 04:40 PM
Yeah, and you know what they call those who aren't fans of trash talking? Bitches. :smug:

Psychotic
06-17-2016, 10:48 PM
Favourite moment of the Euros so far? Clattenburg telling Mandzukic not to pick up a flare and he pretends not to and then sneakily does it behind his back anyway: https://gfycat.com/DeliriousHauntingAsiaticgreaterfreshwaterclam

Then afterwards a god damn explosion to the face: https://streamable.com/4hts And then Manduzkic is the one to stop someone going back to pick up a flare. He's the only one to not flinch too. I have a new favourite player.

Not seen a championship this bad for fan behaviour in years.

Formalhaut
06-17-2016, 11:05 PM
Not seen a championship this bad for fan behaviour in years.

It's revolting, honestly. Really casts a pall on football.

Psychotic
06-17-2016, 11:09 PM
Especially when it's their own fans trying to hurt them. Apparently a lot of Croatian fans hate the Croatian FA and have said they'll do all they can to get their own team kicked out. I should say the Croatian FA is corrupt as fuck, owned by Dinamo Zagreb and has destroyed the Croatian league. Indeed it's why Dejan Lovren isn't there - he spoke out about it.

Rocket Edge
06-18-2016, 12:18 AM
Especially when it's their own fans trying to hurt them. Apparently a lot of Croatian fans hate the Croatian FA and have said they'll do all they can to get their own team kicked out. I should say the Croatian FA is corrupt as smurf, owned by Dinamo Zagreb and has destroyed the Croatian league. Indeed it's why Dejan Lovren isn't there - he spoke out about it.
That's bizarre. Has this ever happened before?

I'm sweating over tomorrows match already. I just hope Belgium continue their blah form for one more game.

Bubba
06-18-2016, 09:40 AM
Belgium to finish the group with at least 3 points. You heard it here first.

Psychotic
06-18-2016, 10:11 AM
Belgium to finish the group with zero points. You heard it here first.What happened to MMF MMF I LVOE BELGIUM?

Especially when it's their own fans trying to hurt them. Apparently a lot of Croatian fans hate the Croatian FA and have said they'll do all they can to get their own team kicked out. I should say the Croatian FA is corrupt as smurf, owned by Dinamo Zagreb and has destroyed the Croatian league. Indeed it's why Dejan Lovren isn't there - he spoke out about it.
That's bizarre. Has this ever happened before?With Croatian fans? Yeah. Remember that Swastika that was mowed into a pitch? That was this.

Just seen a really good post on Reddit that explains it all better than I could:
https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/4omrzm/an_explanation_to_rsoccer_about_why_did_croatian/

Though it doesn't cover that any random kid who plays for Dinamo Zagreb can get called up to the national team over more talented players simply because Mamic views the national team as a shop window.

This is the same guy who tricked young players into signing contracts pledging 50% of their salary - including future earnings - to him. So the likes of Eduardo at Arsenal and now Modric at Real Madrid are still paying this guy 50%. Sounds fucking illegal and insane? Good luck taking this fella to court in Croatia.

Bubba
06-18-2016, 03:22 PM
Belgium to finish the group with at least 3 points. You heard it here first.

I love being right :smug:

MMF MMF I LVOE BELGIUM

Psychotic
06-18-2016, 04:12 PM
Sorry Donal :( I'd love to see the BIG get out of the group. Let's hope Italy's B-Team get USA 94'd.

Rocket Edge
06-18-2016, 06:29 PM
Sorry Donal :( I'd love to see the BIG get out of the group. Let's hope Italy's B-Team get USA 94'd.
Oh yes! Thanks. I think because we are such a small nation you get even more involved and genuinely believe the team can do something, only for it to fall to pieces and wake up. We'll still probably lose.

It was awful to watch. Last euros we had the two finalists in Spain & Italy, along with bloody Croatia. This time it's Sweden, Belguim, & Italy. Give us a break ffs. I care too much! :ohdear:

charliepanayi
06-18-2016, 09:49 PM
Bwahahahahaha Ronaldo

Formalhaut
06-19-2016, 12:19 AM
Bwahahahahaha Ronaldo

I know. After what he said about Iceland, I'm more than happy to laugh in his face.

charliepanayi
06-19-2016, 09:31 AM
Bwahahahahaha Ronaldo

I know. After what he said about Iceland, I'm more than happy to laugh in his face.

You mean after everything he's ever done ever.

Bubba
06-19-2016, 11:25 AM
Bwahahahahaha Ronaldo

You mean after everything he's ever done ever.

No. After what he said about Iceland. Just as Formy said.

I love Ronaldo but agree his comments were out of order. They'll still probably qualify.

Old Manus
06-20-2016, 08:50 PM
CARNAGE IN TOULOUSE

NEIL TAYLOR HAD SCORED A GOAL

NEIL TAYLOR

NEIL FUCKING TAYLOR

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

Psychotic
06-20-2016, 09:32 PM
I can't wait for England to play a team that actually attacks them instead of shutting up shop and playing for a point from the first minute. I still don't know why the smurf all the teams in this group are so trout scared of England of all teams but there we are.

charliepanayi
06-20-2016, 10:06 PM
Don't think Slovakia shutting up shop is an excuse for England registering one shot on target or something the whole game.

So it's England against second place in Group F (Hungary, Portugal, Iceland, Austria), and Wales play one of the third-placed teams. Hoping for Wales v Albania.

Bubba
06-20-2016, 10:13 PM
Honestly, first or second at this stage matters not a jot. We'll both face beatable teams in the next game.

I can just see the sneering, smug Welsh faces right now and... I want to light them all on fire.

I shouldn't follow football.

Crop
06-20-2016, 10:31 PM
I can just see the sneering, smug Welsh faces right now and... I want to light them all on fire.

They're all around me...

Old Manus
06-20-2016, 10:37 PM
I can just see the sneering, smug Welsh faces right now and... I want to light them all on fire. I'm glad you're so familiar with my face.

Also, goals scored at this tournament:

Cristiano Ronaldo: 0
Zlatan Ibrahimovic: 0
Neil Taylor: 1

I think we're done here fellas :smug:

charliepanayi
06-20-2016, 10:40 PM
Of course Wales are smug, they deserve to be smug at the moment.

Psychotic
06-20-2016, 10:52 PM
Don't think Slovakia shutting up shop is an excuse for England registering one shot on target or something the whole game. I never said it was an excuse for anything. It's just not what I want to watch.

Are Wales fans really smug? Their display against a mediocre England team was atrocious.

Formalhaut
06-20-2016, 10:55 PM
Let them have their victory. Let's be the bigger side here. :p

The second place teams for Group F could literally be any of the four teams. I'd find it unusual if Austria climbed to third place, but this group is rather tightly bunched up with a ton of draws.

The good news is that England could conceivably beat any of them. The bad news is that England has drawn two of their three games, and draws are no longer possible. They will have to improve their attack, because their finding even smaller teams tough to penetrate through and score goals.

Second place isn't bad. But they need to do better.

Just a small note on Wales though. We can begrudge the slightly more arrogant aspects of the Welsh fanbase (and Bale, somewhat), they did get to the top of the group. They thumped Russia, and won against Slovakia. They were pretty mediocre against England, but it was only 2-1 and it wasn't a crushing defeat and bounced back against Russia. They've done well.

Old Manus
06-21-2016, 10:54 AM
Now that I've sobered up...

What a night for Welsh football. It really was something to behold after twenty five years of watching utter guff year in year out (apart from a short period in the early 00s where we had Speed, Hartson, Giggs when he could be bothered, Bellamy, Earnshaw, and yes, even Robbie Savage and strictly speaking should have qualified at least once), I've never seen Wales play as well as they did last night. We could have been 1-0 up in the first minute. Russia were absolutely dreadful, but I suppose that's what happens when you stop taking your performance-enhancing drugs.

It was a great change up from the way we played against England, where even the most hardcore of fans I knew were admitting that our tactics were too negative to earn a draw. The Russians were all carthorses in their thirties, so we had a wide, fast game and they just couldn't deal with it. Joe Allen had a blinder and looked every penny of the £15M (cheers again by the way). Bale was just given a complete free reign and positioned himself wherever he felt like at any point in time, be it the right, left, defensive mid or centre forward. I'm really pleased with the togetherness the boys are showing, they are definitely playing better than the sum of their parts at the moment.

Hoping for Northern Ireland in the second round, then if we can do them over, a tasty clash with Belgium in the quarters.

Psychotic
06-21-2016, 11:43 AM
I secretly love Wee Joe so your wiles won't work on me. He was my MotM for Wales against both Slovakia and England (dat Rooney nutmeg tho). Will legit be a bit sad when you buy him back for £5m this summer and I'm thrilled he's munching the Euros.

charliepanayi
06-21-2016, 09:59 PM
So now we have Germany/Italy/Spain/France/England all on the same side of the draw. Wales to go all the way on the other side? OK, maybe not...

Psychotic
06-22-2016, 06:22 PM
Hungary v Portugal is fucking great. Watch it if you're not already. 3-3! Ronaldo vs Gabor Kiraly's tracksuit bottoms!

Crop
06-22-2016, 06:39 PM
Game of the tournament so far for me. Last 10 have slowed down a bit, but sensational stuff.

Crop
06-22-2016, 06:59 PM
Well Portugal in the next round I gu....wait no, Iceland.

Little disappointing, I think Portugal would have been a hell of a game. Iceland will play with 10 men behind the ball, and we've struggled to break down teams like that. Hope we've learned something.

charliepanayi
06-22-2016, 06:59 PM
I'm glad I don't have to see England v Portugal again. Iceland is a bit different at least.

Great games just now!

Psychotic
06-22-2016, 07:27 PM
I agree with Crop. I like the variation of playing Iceland but I know Portugal would've given England a game. Iceland will be just the same as the other three games with England having boring sterile domination of the game. It'll probably go to penalties at 0-0 unless Iceland snatch a goal on either the counter or a set piece.

charliepanayi
06-22-2016, 07:42 PM
Glad to see you have so much confidence in England's scoring abilities!

Formalhaut
06-22-2016, 08:04 PM
I saw the Hungary - Portugal game while exercising in the gym. It was an absolute barnstormer. Portugal seemed dominant enough with more possession, but Hungary were good at countering and were the mirror knights of the match with two goals coming from major deflections. It was pretty funny to see. The game slowed in the last 10 minutes, probably because by that point they'd done enough to go through. A tad disappointing, I guess.

Honestly, I'm sad that Portugal didn't lose so I could see Ronaldo's face fall. He threw so many tantrums that match.

I'm glad for Iceland. This is their first tournament, isn't it? Glad we're not getting yet another England vs Portugal bust-up. Makes a change.

Psychotic
06-22-2016, 08:47 PM
Glad to see you have so much confidence in England's scoring abilities!I watched England v Slovakia.

Formalhaut
06-22-2016, 09:01 PM
Following my 'home' team I guess. Republic of Ireland are playing Italy, and they're doing very well! Definitely the better of the two teams so far. They absolutely deserved a penalty towards the end and definitely could have been 1-0 up.

charliepanayi
06-22-2016, 09:56 PM
So, here's the second round:

Switzerland v Poland
Croatia v Portugal

Wales v Northern Ireland
Hungary v Belgium

Germany v Slovakia
Italy v Spain

France v Ireland
England v Iceland

Psychotic
06-22-2016, 10:09 PM
So one of the first eight teams will be in the final. With the exception of Portugal, that's excellent. Particularly as I have Croatia in my work's sweepstakes...

charliepanayi
06-22-2016, 10:21 PM
I can see it continuing the recent trend that every 12 years we get a surprise winner:

1992: Denmark
2004: Greece
2016: Croatia? Belgium? Wales?? Hungary????

Psychotic
06-22-2016, 10:26 PM
Belgium wouldn't be that much of a surprise. Whisper it though but Wales could possibly have a superb run. Good luck to them, hope they can go far. Definitely will be last British Isles team standing!

charliepanayi
06-22-2016, 10:48 PM
My second round predictions:

Poland
Portugal
Wales
Hungary (going out on a limb with that one)
Germany
Spain
France
England

Old Manus
06-23-2016, 10:01 AM
Believe in Joe Allen

DK
06-23-2016, 02:21 PM
This picture amuses me more than it should and I don't know why. He reminds me of something. Like Goldeneye big head mode.

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/onesport/cps/624/cpsprodpb/7ED2/production/_90066423_kdb_getty.jpg

Spuuky
06-23-2016, 07:31 PM
God I hope Iceland wins.

Order of preference for the winner:

1. Iceland
2. Anyone But Portugal
3. Wales

Aerith's Knight
06-25-2016, 01:42 PM
I hope the half-final will end up becoming Belgium-Kroatia. I don't really care about the others in that bracket.

Skyblade
06-25-2016, 05:12 PM
So, I think Poland just knocked out Switzerland. Good on them, I hear this is the first year they've ever won games in this competition.

Sorry, I'm not a huge soccer fan and don't follow it too closely.

charliepanayi
06-25-2016, 06:51 PM
Thank god for that own goal, spared us all extra time.

Psychotic
06-25-2016, 06:52 PM
Poor old Northern Ireland. I was rooting for them as the underdog but hey ho, good luck Wales too!

charliepanayi
06-25-2016, 09:48 PM
Three pretty dire games (with one great goal). This half of the draw really does look dismal.

Psychotic
06-25-2016, 10:02 PM
Been a pretty paff Euros for entertainment overall, last minute goal glut aside.

Old Manus
06-26-2016, 12:12 PM
In the cruelest of cruel twists of fate, I actually missed yesterday's game because I was on a work charity 3 Peaks walk (that had been arranged months in advance). I managed to get a really crappy AM signal occasionally so got the score. Biggest Wales game in most people's lifetimes and I bloody missed it. Rest assured I was complaining about it all day. Even worse, I'm off to Paris today to watch the football having thought that Wales might get second place and play on Monday. For smurf's sake.

also viva bale hala hal robson-kanu

Rocket Edge
06-27-2016, 12:22 AM
I'm disapointed Ireland is out obviously but at least went out fighting. Can't ask for more than that really. My brother asked me during the game would any Irish player make it onto the French team. I said Coleman and maybe Brady if he decided to be a wing back again. Sums it up really. I wish the best to Wales and England for the rest of the tournament. Paul... I didn't think I'd ever say but Lallana is the greatest thing that ever happened to your national team. If anyone is gonna win ye the Euros it's mister loreal himself.

Rocket Edge
06-27-2016, 12:27 AM
In the cruelest of cruel twists of fate, I actually missed yesterday's game because I was on a work charity 3 Peaks walk (that had been arranged months in advance). I managed to get a really crappy AM signal occasionally so got the score. Biggest Wales game in most people's lifetimes and I bloody missed it. Rest assured I was complaining about it all day. Even worse, I'm off to Paris today to watch the football having thought that Wales might get second place and play on Monday. For smurf's sake.

also viva bale hala hal robson-kanu
Mean't to ask you Manus. As a guy from Wales, is everyone not just going bat-shit crazy that you actually have Bale? Seriously though.

Crop
06-27-2016, 07:19 AM
Everyone is going bat-shit crazy in general. Absolutely bonkers down here, seriously.

Psychotic
06-27-2016, 09:51 AM
Lallana will only win the Euros if it's decided in the first hour of the match. :p He has superb technique coupled with the stamina of a newborn baby.

Old Manus
06-27-2016, 06:35 PM
Mean't to ask you Manus. As a guy from Wales, is everyone not just going bat-trout crazy that you actually have Bale? Seriously though.You mean we have players other than Bale? Ridiculous.

Currently chilling in the Paris fan zone amongst the European masses under the Eiffel Tower. Hoping for an England win so that we may face them in the final. Viva Raheem Sterling.

charliepanayi
06-27-2016, 06:53 PM
Go on Italy! I wonder if Germany can finally break their tournament jinx against them.

Psychotic
06-27-2016, 08:23 PM
lmao england are going out to iceland

charliepanayi
06-27-2016, 08:46 PM
That half was a lot more eventful than I expected

Psychotic
06-27-2016, 09:16 PM
England look clueless and aren't even making a fight of it. Really impressed with Iceland, willing to defend with grit but also hit on the counter when needed which is exactly what this style needs to work. Hope they go far in the tournament, would love to see them do this to France.

Bubba
06-27-2016, 09:28 PM
Rooney has been absolutely awful. We don't deserve to go through.

Psychotic
06-27-2016, 09:52 PM
Honestly this is so much better than France humiliating us and putting 5 past us. Congratulations Iceland, fully deserved.

charliepanayi
06-27-2016, 10:02 PM
Great story here from Iceland at these Euros.

And who on earth do England turn to now? If they want an English manager it's slim pickings indeed.

Spuuky
06-27-2016, 10:02 PM
Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Iceland please beat France, please

Aerith's Knight
06-27-2016, 10:04 PM

And who on earth do England turn to now? If they want an English manager it's slim pickings indeed.

They can always take Hiddink. He seems fairly descent at coaching teams of countries that aren't his own.

Psychotic
06-27-2016, 10:08 PM

And who on earth do England turn to now? If they want an English manager it's slim pickings indeed.It's gonna be Pardew isn't it

charliepanayi
06-27-2016, 10:28 PM
Hiddink would have been a good bet around ten years ago but his star has waned a lot of late.

The fact Pardew is a major contender shows how desperate the situation is. Would be Graham Taylor/Steve McLaren all over again.

Crop
06-27-2016, 10:38 PM
We can't have a foreign manager, because they get hounded by the media and pundits, to the point where they moan when they don't smile on the sidelines.

Rocket Edge
06-27-2016, 11:10 PM
Next manager odds:

Gareth Southgate 4/1
Gary Neville 6/1
Alan Pardew 8/1
Brendan Rodgers 10/1
Sam Allardyce 12/1
Arsene Wenger 20/1

I've a feeling Gary Neville will get it.

charliepanayi
06-27-2016, 11:27 PM
Here's a vision of Hodgson's future:

https://www.facebook.com/carly.t.catherine/posts/10157049607245322

Pheesh
06-27-2016, 11:45 PM
This is no fun. Why aren't you all acting more irrational? Someone do something crazy and British.

DK
06-28-2016, 04:51 AM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/05/05/article-0-026756FE0000044D-28_306x423.jpg

Shauna
06-28-2016, 08:28 AM
This is no fun. Why aren't you all acting more irrational? Someone do something crazy and British.

I think we've had enough craziness for one week.

Unexpected result from Iceland. This has been an interesting cup (although RIP Spain)

Fox
06-28-2016, 11:31 AM
Well, at least Roy Hodgson had a plan in place for getting out of Europe.

charliepanayi
06-28-2016, 04:50 PM
Next manager odds:

Gareth Southgate 4/1
Gary Neville 6/1
Alan Pardew 8/1
Brendan Rodgers 10/1
Sam Allardyce 12/1
Arsene Wenger 20/1

I've a feeling Gary Neville will get it.

Glen Hoddle is 8/1 and Alan Shearer is 12/1

Bwaahahahahahahaha they can't be serious with some of these candidates

Psychotic
06-28-2016, 05:26 PM
Oh, they are.

Spuuky
06-28-2016, 07:04 PM
England is welcome to Jurgen Klinsmann

Psychotic
06-28-2016, 07:40 PM
England is welcome to Jurgen KlinsmannHe could hardly make things worse.

Also, I fucking love David Squires: https://www.theguardian.com/football/picture/2016/jun/28/david-squires-on-englands-euro-2016-exit-to-iceland

Perfect.

Formalhaut
06-29-2016, 04:39 PM
Interesting article about the state of women's football in Iceland (https://www.theguardian.com/football/when-saturday-comes-blog/2016/jun/29/iceland-men-heroes-euro-2016-womens-team). They're doing a darn sight better than the men.

Old Manus
07-01-2016, 09:09 PM
ASHLEY

Old Manus
07-01-2016, 09:13 PM
HAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLL

Bubba
07-01-2016, 09:14 PM
I can't believe that goal! Fantastic!

I still hate the Welsh though.

MMMF MMMF I LVOE BELGIUM.

Psychotic
07-01-2016, 09:32 PM
Belgium getting smurfed by Wales is pretty hilarious.

hahahah they're going full on Van Gaal United, desperately hoofing it up to Fellaini. And that ponce Aaron Ramsey got banned for the semi. This is great fun. JOE ALLEN HAT TRICK INCOMING

e: AHHAHAHAH VOKES

Aerith's Knight
07-01-2016, 09:47 PM
While I admit Belgium didn't have the ref on its side, man, Wales is killing it. Great match.

But man, this bracket is just crazy. Iceland-Wales final?

edit: If there is an Iceland-Wales final, I will.. wait, I'm not falling for this. I saw Old Manus.

charliepanayi
07-01-2016, 09:48 PM
This can't be happening.

Psychotic
07-01-2016, 09:50 PM
Hope they win it and then we never have to hear about 1966 again.

Aerith's Knight
07-01-2016, 09:54 PM
What a ride that was. I started out rooting for Belgium, but as the match progressed, Wales became my favorite. What a team of beasts.

I wonder what they got on the betting odds of a Wales-Iceland final if you booked it before the group phase.

Formalhaut
07-01-2016, 10:15 PM
Well smurf, the Welsh are showing up the English big-time. 3-1 is a pretty decisive victory. Now I really want to see Iceland beat France and my underdog allegiances will be complete! I want 'doing a Leicester' to be a recurring thing now in Football.

DK
07-02-2016, 10:33 AM
All aboard the Welsh War wagon. Portugal is an eminently winnable game without a doubt. I want to say I was alive when a Chimpanzee hoisted the Euro Cup aloft for the first time in history.

Old Manus
07-02-2016, 01:43 PM
Fuck me what a game. I was in the Cardiff fanzone and it was a right laugh. Hopefully that can put an end to English whining about sticking 11 men behind the ball, we came at Belgium from the off and beat them fair and square. I can't stop re-watching that Robson-Kanu turn. So much determination from the boys. The most emotional part of the experience last night was when about a minute away from full time in Cardiff the heavens opened and it started absolutely lashing down. People were just opening their arms, looking into the sky and taking it all in, like Tim Robbins in The Shawshank Redemption. After a lifetime of misery it's the semi final at the first attempt, bloody hell.

Will be tough against Portugal without Ramsey and Davies but I 100% believe now. They're heroes either way.

Crop
07-02-2016, 02:13 PM
Great game, although someone died outside the pub we were watching in after the game, which kinda took the edge off. 'suspicious' circumstances too.

Don't think Wales will have a problem with Portugal tbh.

Psychotic
07-02-2016, 04:02 PM
Hopefully that can put an end to English whining about sticking 11 men behind the ballNot a chance. No matter how well Wales do, a dog turd of an England side still munched them. :aimkiss:

Aerith's Knight
07-02-2016, 10:55 PM
What a pathetic penalty series. Seriously, end of the lineup did a lot better than the 'star' players.

charliepanayi
07-02-2016, 11:01 PM
You say pathetic, I say bloody hilarious. The game wasn't amazing, but the penalties were brilliant. Ozil needs to stop taking them, and Muller just needs to only play in World Cups.

charliepanayi
07-03-2016, 08:49 PM
On current evidence, perhaps it's just as well that England weren't playing France tonight.

Aerith's Knight
07-03-2016, 10:24 PM
I stopped watching after one half. Too one-sided.

Psychotic
07-04-2016, 07:06 AM
A lot of your boys were in the crowd Dennis!

Aerith's Knight
07-04-2016, 10:36 PM
Wait, what? You mean my kids, or Dutch football fans?

Wait, I have kids? And do you not mean Belgian supporters or something?

No no, let's not get sidetracked. Who would I have had kids with? :-/

Your story just doesn't pan out, Paul.

Psychotic
07-05-2016, 07:09 AM
Dutch football fans, although I assume you also have a litany of offspring from a slew of Amsterdam ladies of the night.

Aerith's Knight
07-05-2016, 02:43 PM
Dutch football fans are all in hibernation through the dark and Blind winter days.

Probably west-Belgians. Fake Dutch people that feast on good beer and chocolate.

charliepanayi
07-06-2016, 09:37 AM
Since football tends to be a cruel sport, I'm guessing that Portugal will win a dull game 1-0 and Ronaldo or Pepe will do something panto villain-y to make everyone mad.

Old Manus
07-06-2016, 10:48 AM
I've worn my Wales scarf to work today. It's that real.

Bubba
07-06-2016, 04:53 PM
I will celebrate wildly if Ronaldo and co. dick the Welsh.

Formalhaut
07-06-2016, 05:19 PM
I can't stand Rolando so I'll be very happy to see him cry like a baby and wail about how it isn't his fault.

Crop
07-06-2016, 05:24 PM
I honestly think Portugal are going to get smashed.

Psychotic
07-06-2016, 05:33 PM
Backing Allen's All-Stars. The Italian Allen and Spanish Allen can't ever hit the heights Joe will reach tonight.

Bubba
07-06-2016, 05:36 PM
I honestly think Portugal are going to get smashed.

You may be right. Portugal do have a poor team. Though I can't get that image of the Welsh all celebrating England's defeat out of my head. No chance they have my support after that.

Vamos la Portugal!!

charliepanayi
07-06-2016, 07:01 PM
There were plenty of England fans who found England's defeat hilarious, let alone anyone else.

Aerith's Knight
07-06-2016, 09:10 PM
Ah, the Cups. It really lifts you up, and then smacks you down to the dredge of the earth. Ain't that right, Manus?

Psychotic
07-06-2016, 09:11 PM
Oh dear. Can't see Wales coming back from this.

Bubba
07-06-2016, 09:15 PM
http://youtu.be/rgByLZZfgQA

charliepanayi
07-06-2016, 09:24 PM
Portugal haven't done much tonight, but so far Wales have done very little at all.

Psychotic
07-06-2016, 09:25 PM
Men against boys out there. Just as with the England game I expect a "Brave Wales" narrative from the suck up pundits but they've been disappointing and poor. Legitimately a shame, the look on Ronaldo's face would've been priceless.

charliepanayi
07-06-2016, 09:37 PM
It may still be priceless, put your faith in Germany or France!

Crop
07-06-2016, 09:39 PM
Through the course of the tournament I have made around 20 predictions, every single one I have made has been utterly wrong. No exaggeration. Every. Single. One.

Psychotic
07-06-2016, 09:41 PM
It may still be priceless, put your faith in Germany or France!Yeah but can you imagine how much more he'd hate it if it was Wales of all teams, led by Gareth Bale? Ouch.

Bubba
07-06-2016, 09:52 PM
So the winner of tomorrow's game are pretty much already champions, yes?

charliepanayi
07-06-2016, 10:08 PM
Probably

Of course, if Iceland hadn't got that late goal against Austria, Portugal probably would have got France in the QFs and might have already been out by now (I'll assume they would have beaten England first, because...well...because England). On such small moments can tournaments turn. Holland, Denmark and Greece barely made it out of the group stage in 1988/1992/2004. Ditto Italy in 1982 etc

Old Manus
07-07-2016, 10:19 AM
Gutted, but not disappointed. Proud of the boys. You can't play like they did against Belgium every game, just weren't quite at the races yesterday. It reminded me of watching Wales in the qualification games - the makings of a good side but just horribly blunt up front. I reckon if Ramsey played we would have smashed them. Allez les bleus

Formalhaut
07-07-2016, 10:34 AM
Portugal are like the best worst team to go through. They've barely impressed me the entire tournament for a team with such history in competing.

Psychotic
07-07-2016, 03:58 PM
Wales are having an open top bus tour hahaha are you serious

Old Manus
07-07-2016, 04:12 PM
I called this the other day. I thought it would be the most typically British thing ever to celebrate mediocrity with an open top bus tour. They're ending up at the Cardiff City Stadium where the Manic Street Preachers will perform a WHOLE THREE SONGS!!

charliepanayi
07-07-2016, 04:36 PM
They could at least have got Super Furry Animals instead

Psychotic
07-07-2016, 05:16 PM
I called this the other day. I thought it would be the most typically British thing ever to celebrate mediocrity with an open top bus tour. They're ending up at the Cardiff City Stadium where the Manic Street Preachers will perform a WHOLE THREE SONGS!!Huh, that's exactly as many as Kasabian performed after the Leicester parade.

Rocket Edge
07-07-2016, 07:58 PM
I hope France win. Payet is a god. I know United are linked with Pogba atm, but he isn't fit to lace Payet's boots. I seriously think he is arguably the best player in the world right now.

Aerith's Knight
07-07-2016, 08:28 PM
The 27 minutes that Sweinsteiger has played so far are more good minutes of gameplay than he has performed in his entire season at Man U.

charliepanayi
07-07-2016, 09:53 PM
A bit disappointed with Germany tonight really, they huffed and puffed a lot but aside from hitting the post (and forcing a save at the end when it would have been too late anyway) didn't really have any great chances. My original prediction of France as winners remains on track!

Psychotic
07-07-2016, 09:55 PM
I hope France win. Payet is a god. I know United are linked with Pogba atm, but he isn't fit to lace Payet's boots. I seriously think he is arguably the best player in the world right now.I was going to say he's not the best player in the French team with Mr Griezmann being my pick, and now the game makes it look like I'm saying it after the fact. Damnit!

Rocket Edge
07-07-2016, 10:35 PM
Griezmann is in the same bracket. He's awesome. I think there is a band of several players now who have caught up to Messi at this stage. Is Ronaldo even in the top bracket anymore?

When France scored I felt like I was actually neutral. I wanted Germany to score back and make a game of it. Don't really mind who wins it now tbh.

charliepanayi
07-09-2016, 09:46 PM
Prediction for tomorrow: 2-0 to France. Hope it's a classic on a par with the France v Portugal game in 1984, but it's more likely to be on a par with their 2006 borefest. It's a shame, the tournament as a whole just hasn't got going really, it'll probably rank with 1992/1996 as one of the weakest Euros of the modern era.

On a side note, today marks ten years since Zidane's World Cup final headbutt, one of the classic hilarious sports moments.

Psychotic
07-09-2016, 10:37 PM
I wanted to look up EoFF's reactions to the Zidane headbutt and that's when I realised the futility of searching "Zidane" on a Final Fantasy site.

charliepanayi
07-09-2016, 10:46 PM
Have a dig around in this thread:

http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/85644-Zidane-s-Headbutt-Discussion-and-also-some-stuff-on-that-FIFA-World-Cup-2006-thing?highlight=zidane

Psychotic
07-10-2016, 08:58 PM
Oh Ronaldo.

Sort of want Portugal to win to see if he pulls a John Terry!

charliepanayi
07-10-2016, 09:17 PM
France didn't get an early goal, and as expected we're now in stalemate mode. Well, at least the Olympics next month might be better...

Psychotic
07-10-2016, 09:53 PM
Boring game. Boring tournament on the whole.

charliepanayi
07-10-2016, 10:05 PM
Oh well, only 703 days until the next World Cup

Psychotic
07-10-2016, 10:20 PM
Well, this is going to get interesting.

charliepanayi
07-10-2016, 10:33 PM
On the one hand, Portugal haven't been the most exciting team to watch. On the other, I do like a good party pooper. Plus France had two hours to score a goal, so my sympathy levels are low.

Shauna
07-10-2016, 10:35 PM
And nobody predicted this would happen.

Bubba
07-10-2016, 10:37 PM
Major tournament wins...

Messi: 0
Ronaldo: 1

Finally proves who the better player is.

charliepanayi
07-10-2016, 10:40 PM
I don't think it proves anything with regards to Messi v Ronaldo. Especially these days when the World Cup and Euros are no longer the pinnacle of the sport.

Psychotic
07-10-2016, 10:43 PM
Major tournament wins...

Messi: 0
Ronaldo: 1

Finally proves who the better player is.Convictions for tax fraud:

Messi: 1
Ronaldo: 0

Finally proves who the better man is.

Bubba
07-10-2016, 10:45 PM
I don't think it proves anything with regards to Messi v Ronaldo.

Nah, it clearly does.

charliepanayi
07-10-2016, 10:45 PM
Also, Zidane was better than both of them! So was Maradona.

Psychotic
07-10-2016, 10:52 PM
Also, Zidane was better than both of them! So was Maradona.Depends on your criteria. Is it relative to their own eras or relative to each other? Because if you took Theo Walcott and stuck him in the 80's he'd be as good as Maradona was given the huge advancements in physical conditioning that the game has seen over the last 30 years.

Bubba
07-10-2016, 10:52 PM
Also, Zidane was better than both of them! So was Maradona.

Well they were both better than Messi! They both won major trophies with their country.

charliepanayi
07-10-2016, 11:00 PM
Good to know that Christophe Dugarry is better than Johan Cruyff because he won a major tournament.

Not sure why Messi is to blame for Argentina not winning a tournament anyway. Did he make Higuain miss that chance in 2014? Or did he make Pekerman do a dumb substitution when leading Germany in 2006? And Ronaldo did nothing in all bar two games in this tournament.

Formalhaut
07-10-2016, 11:33 PM
Portugal won? Ugh. Ronaldo's ego has inflated by 300%, no doubt. They didn't even play all that well for much of the tournament. They did 'just' enough to win in the knockout tournament, but they genuinely didn't impress me much the entire way.

Psychotic
07-10-2016, 11:42 PM
Every 12 years a shit team wins the Euros. England 2028...?

Formalhaut
07-10-2016, 11:45 PM
Every 12 years a trout team wins the Euros. England 2028...?

Oh yeah, I guess that tradition holds after all!

Bubba
07-10-2016, 11:52 PM
Good to know that Christophe Dugarry is better than Johan Cruyff because he won a major tournament.

Not sure why Messi is to blame for Argentina not winning a tournament anyway. Did he make Higuain miss that chance in 2014? Or did he make Pekerman do a dumb substitution when leading Germany in 2006? And Ronaldo did nothing in all bar two games in this tournament.

Cruff was overrated just like Messi. If they can't prove it on the biggest stage then they can't be considered the best!

Ronaldo has been the player of the tournament, for me. Dragged Portugal to the final and deserved a helping hand from his teammates in the final.

Old Manus
07-11-2016, 09:27 AM
Also, Zidane was better than both of them! So was Maradona.Depends on your criteria. Is it relative to their own eras or relative to each other? Because if you took Theo Walcott and stuck him in the 80's he'd be as good as Maradona was given the huge advancements in physical conditioning that the game has seen over the last 30 years.Now that's a bold declaration to end all bold declarations.

Psychotic
07-11-2016, 11:13 AM
Say what you want about Walcott, I find it difficult to believe he's off doing lines of coke off Jack Wilshere's arse every night.

Rocket Edge
07-11-2016, 01:50 PM
I don't think it proves anything with regards to Messi v Ronaldo. Especially these days when the World Cup and Euros are no longer the pinnacle of the sport.
The World Cup not the pinnacle of the sport? It 100% is!

And agreed with Zidane. He's still the best player I've actually seen in my lifetime, though can understand why people say Messi.

Aerith's Knight
07-11-2016, 06:03 PM
I never have any sympathy for teams when you get into overtime. Teams are not THAT well balanced between countries that no goals should've occurred in all that time.

This entire tournament was countries playing German football except, ironically, for the Germans. Still, boring tournament on a whole.

Hope the World cup will be better, although I'm fairly sure we won't join that one either.

charliepanayi
07-11-2016, 06:58 PM
Holland have France in their World Cup qualifying group (not to mention Sweden), so that will be tough. Only one team qualified automatically too.

Aerith's Knight
07-12-2016, 06:19 PM
I have a hope in Vincent Janssen as our new semi-'Robben', if he can manage to keep the pace at Tottenham Hotspurs. I think we can get the defense reasonably decent with Blind as a center, but by god, we have zero midfielders with any above average skill. Every game would be a battle.