PDA

View Full Version : Comic Books!

Pumpkin
05-18-2016, 06:10 PM
In my summer of trying new things, I'm reading some comic books.

So far I've started Miracle Girls, Disney Princess, and I've read a sneak peak of the new DC Hero Girls or whatever it's called.

What are some of your favourite comic books?

Depression Moon
05-18-2016, 06:13 PM
I don't read much, but out of the few that I own my favorites are Watchmen and Y the Last Man. I want to get Saga eventually and some Black Panther.

Fynn
05-18-2016, 06:14 PM
I remember back in the day the Grant Morrison run of the X-Men, called The New X-Men, would come out weekly over here. There was no real history with X-Men comics here before that and the thing kinda ended abruptly, but I loved this series to bits. It was really dark and it had the best version of Beast, imho

http://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/e52fad48debf39df7ab685d7462a3048-650-80.jpg

Midgar Mist
05-18-2016, 06:25 PM
I like:

-Uncanny X Force Angel becomes Archangel, Phantom X has his outer nervous system with a mind of its own and Deadpool's in it. Nuff said
-Wolverine and the X Men

I like an old series called The New Mutants. There's a great story about Legion in one of them aka Professor X's Son

There's too many! I wanna go and find the comic book version of Agents of Shield but will get distracted by the other 15 million series out there.

Freya
05-18-2016, 06:57 PM
68106I've been working through the Fables comics as of late. After playing the Wolf Among Us, and super enjoying it, I decided to look up the source material.

It's about the fairy tale fables having to live in New York. Good stuff. The big Bad wolf is a detective and Snow White is the mayor.

charliepanayi
05-18-2016, 07:00 PM
Ms Marvel is very good.

Shauna
05-18-2016, 07:19 PM
I've been working through the Fables comics as of late. After playing the Wolf Among Us, and super enjoying it, I decided to look up the source material.

It's about the fairy tale fables having to live in New York. Good stuff. The big Bad wolf is a detective and Snow White is the mayor.

Fables was good for a while, but after a while, I grew tired of it and was incredibly glad when it finished.

Slothy
05-18-2016, 07:45 PM
Ms Marvel is very good.

Seconded. And it actually strikes me as something Pumpkin may be interested in for some reason.

I'd definitely recommend Y: The Last Man as well. It's probably not like anything you've been reading but it's a great series that follows what happens after every male mammal on earth except for one man and his monkey dies at the same time. It's ten volumes in trade paperback form so there's plenty of material there, but it does have an actual ending which is nice. Easy enough to come by as well.

Wolf Kanno
05-18-2016, 07:46 PM
Fan of old X-Men (80s to mid 90s is the best era) and Spider-Man books as well as Batman.

For more off kilter books, check out Johnny the Homicidal Maniac, Squee, and I am Sick, they were all done by the same guy who created Invader Zim.

Watchmen was great if a bit long winded at parts.

Sandman is pretty snazzy as well.

Freya
05-18-2016, 07:53 PM
I've been working through the Fables comics as of late. After playing the Wolf Among Us, and super enjoying it, I decided to look up the source material.

Fables was good for a while, but after a while, I grew tired of it and was incredibly glad when it finished.
Yeah I'm maybe half way through. I guess there's a spin off series of it too? Have you checked that one out? Any good?

Pike
05-18-2016, 09:06 PM
The lastest Spider-Man revamp (starring Miles Morales) is REALLY good so far. And it just started a few months ago so it's not difficult to catch up on it.

The recent reincarnation of Guardians of the Galaxy is also good stuff.

TheKeybasHKey
05-19-2016, 01:12 AM
I don't really read much comic books. I used to when the Skylanders Comic Books came out, Issues 7 to 9 of the first series for many is consider one of the best comic arcs in that series (Also because of the "return" of a certain character that it was mentioned the series).

But they ended in March. Such a shame it had a lot potentcial.

At first the art style was a little too off, but it gets better over time. I do recommend them reading though, they are not that big deal if you are not a fan of the games.

krissy
05-19-2016, 05:28 AM
yeah ms marvel is awesome
as is the new captain marvel stuff

also enjoying Saga for more recent vaughn check out paper girls
the fraction+aja run of Hawkeye was great
y the last man yadayada
transmetropolitan yadayada

miles morales is good

currently on my 'have to return to library' bookshelf i'm holding onto the new Silk, a bunch of Casanova, and Hacktivist

my signature and av are from Injection

edit oh yeah slowly working my way through sandman for the first time, it's great

Rez09
05-19-2016, 06:01 AM
Jeff Smith's Bone was quite good, and I'm loving the 2005~ run of She-Hulk so far, although it is annoying how her stories are sometimes continued in other books, so things jump forward from time to time. > .< Archie Comics has done a FANTASTIC job with their Mega Man book so far, ignoring crossovers, and their Sonic series is doing all right, though it is still recovering from the legal blow it was dealt a few years back. I also quite liked, and I get flak for this fairly often, The Superior Spiderman.

Ayen
06-08-2016, 06:05 AM
Spider-Man, X-Men, Batman, and Superman for me. More specifically on Spider-Man I REALLY enjoyed the Scarlet Spider comics and Ben Reilly as a character. I also love New 52 Supergirl.

Forsaken Lover
06-08-2016, 09:04 AM
Superman: Red Son by Mark Millar
Supreme Power by JMS

Read those.

CimminyCricket
06-08-2016, 06:06 PM
Y the Last Man is probably my favorite comic series of all time. I've felt so many feelings and it's only 60ish issues. Currently reading Earth 2 Society and The Dark Knight III. Both are doing pretty good.

As far as comics go, I really prefer stand alone stories where they're separate from the main universe. Those stand alone realities, or other earths, have significantly less retconning and usually the story is way more coherent.

Colonel Angus
06-08-2016, 09:47 PM
I'm not sure too much about modern comics. The X-Men of the 80s-early 90s was great. Spider-Man is a good one. Howard the Duck is fun, if you like absurd humor & satire.

I heard good things about the current runs of Squirrel Girl & Ms. Marvel.

Depression Moon
06-09-2016, 02:38 AM
I want to read the new Black Panther comics by Taneshi Coates and I heard the new Vision comic is good too.

Calliope
06-09-2016, 02:44 AM
Let's see...recent favourites include Ms. Marvel, Phonogram, The Wicked and the Divine, Saga, Trees, and Sex Criminals. In my to-read stack is the latest Saga, a couple of compilations from Jason, and Extraordinary X-Men. Contrary to popular belief, it's not all superheroes in the graphic novel genre, there are some very touching memoirs, histories, and straight up contemporary fiction in there are as well.

Depression Moon
06-09-2016, 03:16 AM
Is Saga done yet? I'd like to buy it in a few books rather than a bunch of paperbacks.

Slothy
06-09-2016, 03:22 AM
By the by: Atomic Robo is a wonderful action science series and has been freely available to read in its entirety on its website for some time.

http://www.atomic-robo.com

Calliope
06-09-2016, 03:39 AM
Is Saga done yet? I'd like to buy it in a few books rather than a bunch of paperbacks.

They're up to six volumes of trade paperbacks.

krissy
06-09-2016, 03:43 AM
i totally forgot about the friggin wicked + the divine

soooo good

sharkythesharkdogg
06-09-2016, 04:45 PM
By the by: Atomic Robo is a wonderful action science series and has been freely available to read in its entirety on its website for some time.

http://www.atomic-robo.com

Clevinger is a good guy.

It's too bad The Dreadful is updated very infrequently and How I Killed Your Master is basically dead.

Slothy
06-10-2016, 12:16 AM
I'm mostly still sad about the death of warbot in accounting. That one really spoke to me.

And fit anyone who's a fan of DC heroes like Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, etc. DC's present rebirth stuff is a breath of fresh air. They're offering some pretty good jumping on points for anyone looking to start reading their books, and they're finally getting away from the crap that was New 52 and back to a point where there heroes weren't all grim dark all the time and they knew what the word hope meant. So far I've read their Rebirth special issue that gives a good overview of the present status quo for most heroes and the state of the DC universe, as well as the first new issues of Superman, Action Comics, Detective Comics, The Flash, and Wonder Woman and all of them are setting up interesting looking stories and are very well done. I'd recommend any of them, but definitely also get that special issue for an introduction no matter what you buy.

And for any Watchmen fans, they heavily hint at a connection to that series in the big conflict they're seeing up but i will say no more so i don't spoil anything.

Forsaken Lover
06-18-2016, 11:19 AM
For me, these never get old.

bL6J7FJmy1c

Also I'm learning about my favorite comic franchise, the X-Men. It's almost impossible for me to believe that, at one point, they were a third-rate title instead of a premier series that stands out as the best of Marvel. Thank you Chris Claremont. Also thank you for giving Magneto the Holocaust survivor backstory. That was genius.