PDA

View Full Version : How Much Stock Do You Put In Video Game Reviews?

Pumpkin
05-23-2016, 05:00 PM
So a new game is coming out, reviews are popping up all over the place. How much stock do you put in to them?

I'll read them and see what features and whatever are in the game and decide for myself. Like if a review says "Amazing! So much gore and nudity!" Well, I don't care if it has a 10/10, I know it isn't for Pumpkin. Likewise if the review is like "Typical RPG with outfit changes, ho-hum, 4/10", I'll know it's for Pumpkin.

Mr. Carnelian
05-23-2016, 05:59 PM
I trust what my friends and people I know think of a game over reviews. Many review sites are paid off by video game companies, so big budget games will often end up with high reviews even if they're a bit naff. My friends, on the other hand, are not being paid off. I don't think...

sharkythesharkdogg
05-23-2016, 09:15 PM
I read them for fun, but I mostly use youtube or some other video service to look at the actual gameplay myself.

There's also some independent video game reviewers out there that seem to do a fair job of actually reviewing the game. Even if I don't always agree with their scores, once I know how they score I can usually tell if I'll like the game or not based on what they said about it.

blackmage_nuke
05-24-2016, 02:41 AM
I tend to trust my friends who know what I like.

Fynn
05-24-2016, 09:11 AM
Idk, I usually stick to what looks like something I'd like. I have a couple of friends here that know my tastes and I know I can trust their tastes, so I listen to their recommendations. It's been a long time since I last looked for a new video game, though, due to my backlog and life and stuff, so I can't really say for sure.

Night Fury
05-24-2016, 09:38 AM
Eh. A lot of writers really can't write a good review sometimes so I tend not to read them.

Old Manus
05-24-2016, 09:42 AM
I don't care about reviews at all, until one of my favourite series gets awarded an 8.8 for their latest offering AT WHICH POINT THERE WILL BE A NUCLEAR WINTER OF ME NOT CARING

Galuf
05-24-2016, 10:19 AM
i like to watch video reviews for no reason. i only try games that i hear are good. like FF.

Bubba
05-24-2016, 10:51 AM
Yeah, I'll check reviews out but if it's a series I'm invested in then I don't need to.

Plus, I have excellent taste in games so they're clearly gonna get great reviews.

Ayen
06-09-2016, 06:22 AM
I watch this guy who dresses in camo on YouTube I follow who seems to have pretty good taste in video games. He doesn't review many new releases, though :(