PDA

View Full Version : Gaming Opinions you (or others) don't understand.

Wolf Kanno
05-18-2016, 08:00 PM
Hopefully the title is self-explanatory, this topic came up from being reminded of an odd conversation I had about the VII Remake with a friend, and how I explained to them I probably wouldn't play it and had no real interest in it. While he's not exactly a VII fanboy, the game does hold a special place in his heart being the game that brought him into the series, so my words and actions kind of dumbfound him because he can't really understand how I can be so indifferent to the game when it's such a huge part of his gaming history. We can take this the other way as well because he doesn't really understand the hooplah I have for FFVI either when for me, it's the game that had a major impact on my gaming history.

So this thread is about discussing these types of topics. Try not to be mean but if you want to try to explain it to someone go ahead, just be polite. What are gaming opinions that you have a hard time wrapping your head around or ones people you've known have commented about concerning your own opinions.

Fynn
05-18-2016, 08:04 PM
I honestly do not get why people love Ace Attorney that much. It's cute, but for me, it just lacks any sort of substance and the over reliance on pins is just painful.

Pumpkin
05-18-2016, 08:06 PM
I guess when people expect me to like a game because it was so influential. Like, I appreciate that they did things for the gaming industry, but that doesn't mean it's to my taste. I can appreciate that something was highly influential for its time and not really have fun playing it.

Aerith's Knight
05-18-2016, 08:37 PM
When people expect me to like the Halo sellout trilogy..I mean, Halo 4,5, and 6, because I liked the first three.

It doesn't work that way.

Oh and this: "I dunno bro, I only play the multiplayer."

Screw you, die live in a hole somewhere, you gaming ingrate.

Karifean
05-18-2016, 08:44 PM
I guess when people expect me to like a game because it was so influential. Like, I appreciate that they did things for the gaming industry, but that doesn't mean it's to my taste. I can appreciate that something was highly influential for its time and not really have fun playing it.

This.

One example for me would be Mario 64. I acknowledge its place in history but I don't think that game has aged well at all, and Crash 2 and 3 are on a completely different level.

Also, the notion that a sequel ruins the original. Prime example being FFX-2 which apparently according to many I've talked to 'ruined' the story of FFX for them, which is something I struggle to wrap my mind around even just conceptually.

Finally, regarding Umineko, people who believe in the Rosatrice theory. I mean sure you're free to believe whatever you want, but... seriously??

Fynn
05-18-2016, 08:48 PM
Oh right, that reminds me. I never got how anyone could think FFXII is about Ashe's fling with Balthier and not recognize that Fran and Balthier are actually a long-time couple

Pike
05-18-2016, 09:08 PM
So is this like, an unpopular opinions thread, kinda?

Cause my latest unpopular opinion is that Dragon Age 2 is actually GREAT

Wolf Kanno
05-18-2016, 10:06 PM
So is this like, an unpopular opinions thread, kinda?

Cause my latest unpopular opinion is that Dragon Age 2 is actually GREAT

More like opinions either you don't quite grasp

Example: Why don't people realize how great Dragon Age 2 is?

or opinions you hold that other people don't understand.

Example: People always wonder why I like DA2 so much and I tell them, but they just don't seem to get it.

I guess it is a bit of an unpopular opinion thread but a bit more retrospective and less inflammatory.

Pike
05-18-2016, 10:16 PM
Ah, I see. That's like me with a lot of games actually, haha. So many games I like and people are just like "but why"

DA2 is just a lot of fun to play, honestly. Same with FFX for me. I can't pin down exactly what about them I like, in specific, but they're just a blast.

Crop
05-18-2016, 10:45 PM
I just don't understand how people don't love the games that I love.

Like when I show a friend an incredible game and they're like "eh it's alright, just not my kind of game".

YOU'RE WRONG MAN! IT'S INCREDIBLE! IT IS EVERYONES KIND OF GAME!

Formalhaut
05-18-2016, 11:42 PM
Ah, I see. That's like me with a lot of games actually, haha. So many games I like and people are just like "but why"

DA2 is just a lot of fun to play, honestly. Same with FFX for me. I can't pin down exactly what about them I like, in specific, but they're just a blast.

I'm replaying DA:2, this time with a male Hawke for the first time. I agree Pike, I'm loving the game. The environments are samey, but I'm honestly willing to forgive that.

Pike
05-19-2016, 12:03 AM
For DA2 you just gotta imagine that it's Cassandra's mind coming up with the story as Varric tells it and she doesn't have time to sit there and imagine up a bunch of elaborate locations

Mirage
05-19-2016, 12:05 AM
Gaming opinions that I don't get is how some people shout "goty" for games that have almost no innovation in the "g" part of that acronym.

TheKeybasHKey
05-19-2016, 01:21 AM
What i don't really understand why is so wrong with games that use figurines. People see it like a bad thing and yet they buy Amiibo, which there functions are not that very useful.

Pike
05-19-2016, 01:24 AM
Gaming opinions that I don't get is how some people shout "goty" for games that have almost no innovation in the "g" part of that acronym.

I just use GOTY to refer to what i had the most fun playing that year, personally

Sephex
05-19-2016, 01:35 AM
People who get invested too much on other people's tastes. It's cool to talk about what people like and don't like, but when people get all up in arms if they play a game in a style they don't, play on a platform they don't, or just do anything they don't like...that gets weird. The older you are the dumber you look for doing that in my opinion.

I used to be guilty of this in the past until one day I realized how silly I looked. Why should I care of someone doesn't enjoy something I like and vice versa? Again, trading points of views and actually discussing gaming can be fun. However, I find that 99% of the time "discussions" devolve into screaming matches or outright negative sass like a political discussion on television.

Slothy
05-19-2016, 01:59 AM
What i don't really understand why is so wrong with games that use figurines. People see it like a bad thing and yet they buy Amiibo, which there functions are not that very useful.

Well from my perspective I've never liked the idea because I hate when I can pay full price for a game but then they try to get me to spend more money on these other things to get the most out of it. I won't begrudge anyone their right to enjoy it, it's just not for me. I'd prefer to pay the full price for the game and have that be it.

Anyway, I'm not sure I can think of many. There are plenty of things I don't get really but they just aren't for me. I guess since Pike reminded me of it earlier, I don't get why people were surprised that you're Revan in KotoR. :p

Fynn
05-19-2016, 11:03 AM
I also never really understood why people dislike the later gen Pokemon. I mean, I guess I understand how nostalgia lets them give some of the terrible old designs a pass, but honestly, every generation has cool and uncool Pokemon and you just gotta take the good with the bad. The gameplay improvements overtime, along with improved graphics, are really what make the new gens a lot better than the old ones. And yet a whole bunch of people just refuse to acknowledge anything past the first 151 Pokemon.

Also, I have no idea why generation 5 is so disliked. It is my favorite generation, not only for its Pokemon, but also its story, characters, and general tone and feel of the world. Gen 6 almost feels like it rested on its laurels by just giving us better graphics and more older Pokemon, but not introducing anything as substantially meaningful to the series as generation 5. I'm guessing part of the reason people like it so much is that you get to choose a gen 1 starter again?

Formalhaut
05-19-2016, 11:42 AM
I think the main thing about Gen V is the Pokemon designs. I hear people cackling at the ice cream cone pokemon very often.

Fynn
05-19-2016, 12:22 PM
And yet they overlook the mimes, magnets, and piles of sludge :roll2 That's the thing. Nostalgia is the problem, not the designs themselves, because none of them are objectively better or worse.

BUT THAT'S A WHOLE 'NOTHER CAN OF WORMS THAT SHOULDN'T PROBABLY BE OPENED IN THIS THREAD

Sephex
05-19-2016, 01:04 PM
And yet they overlook the mimes, magnets, and piles of sludge :roll2 That's the thing. Nostalgia is the problem, not the designs themselves, because none of them are objectively better or worse.

BUT THAT'S A WHOLE 'NOTHER CAN OF WORMS THAT SHOULDN'T PROBABLY BE OPENED IN THIS THREAD

As someone who was at the tail end of High School when Pokemon came out, I can say that the designs always looked really silly to me from day one. I still enjoy the series, though.

Formalhaut
05-19-2016, 03:21 PM

I think Generation I gets a grace period because it was the first one, and maybe the more they design pokemon the better they should be? And you are right, there is some nostalgia attached: the magnet pokemon was and still is one of the quintessential electric pokemon.

Midgar Mist
05-19-2016, 11:33 PM
Some of my recent threads/posts have illustrated how I don't understand this high importance placed on graphics. The love of good graphics seems to be quite a strong opinion held by many gamers of today.

Also, I don't get opinions about Mario. I've never been able to get into it.

(Waits for the firing squad)

Bubba
05-25-2016, 09:59 AM
I'm experiencing this with Uncharted 4 at the minute. Everyone is going on like it's the greatest game ever made and I couldn't disagree more. Apart from great graphics and voice acting, there is nothing new at all. Granted I haven't finished the game yet but I honestly don't have the urge to. It's not a patch on the previous two instalments.

Formalhaut
05-27-2016, 05:35 PM
Some of my recent threads/posts have illustrated how I don't understand this high importance placed on graphics. The love of good graphics seems to be quite a strong opinion held by many gamers of today.

No, you're right: Mario doesn't really grab me. There are exceptions. I smurfing love Mario Kart, and I'll play Super Smash (and fail miserably) all the time. But the mainline series? Eh...

maybee
05-28-2016, 03:15 AM

Don't worry I'm not into Mario either. The game just seems like the same thing each time, expect with something 'new' each time.

Sephiroth
05-29-2016, 12:57 PM
I do not understand how The Last of Us is called the best game of the last 10 years. I think it is an incredibly good game and deserves to be liked much but the best game of the last 10 years? As often as I have played it, just no.

Forsaken Lover
05-31-2016, 11:30 PM
I don't understand how anyone can seriously think Mass Effect 1 is better than Mass Effect 2. It's a minority opinion but it exists and it bewilders me to no end. ME1 wasn't even a very good game while ME2 is one of the best games of all time.

Bubba
06-01-2016, 01:45 PM
I don't understand how anyone can seriously think Mass Effect 1 is better than Mass Effect 2. It's a minority opinion but it exists and it bewilders me to no end. ME1 wasn't even a very good game while ME2 is one of the best games of all time.

Just playing through these at the minute. I'm near the end of ME1 and I'm actually loving it! Very excited to see what ME2 will have to offer :D

Nice
06-01-2016, 03:56 PM
After playing through Metal Gear Solid V I was left wondering why IGN gave the game a 10/10. It was a solid 8. While MGSV had awesome combat it suffered from an anticlimactic story and an empty game world.

The Internet's explosion of love over Pokemon Sun and Moon.
As someone who grew up with Pokemon I have been very disappointed in it's lack of growth and maturity as a series. The latest games look oh so disappointing.

Forsaken Lover
06-01-2016, 04:01 PM
That reminds me, back when MGS4 came out, it received oodles of praise for "fixing" MGS2.

That was an opinion I NEVER understood and actively fought all the way.

Fynn
06-01-2016, 05:49 PM
As someone who grew up with Pokemon I have been very disappointed in it's lack of growth and maturity as a series. The latest games look oh so disappointing.

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. I don't understand how people can't see that these game always were and always will be aimed at children. And the same people who complain about the lack of maturity usually also ignore generation 5 which was really the peak of Pokemon story and gameplay, in BW and B2W2 respectively.

Nice
06-01-2016, 06:33 PM

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. I don't understand how people can't see that these game always were and always will be aimed at children. And the same people who complain about the lack of maturity usually also ignore generation 5 which was really the peak of Pokemon story and gameplay, in BW and B2W2 respectively.

You make a great point about BW and B2W2. I loved those games and they were a surprise to me. However, I was very underwhelmed with X and Y and saw those games as a step back, story wise.

While Pokemon is and always has been aimed at children that does not mean that it should ignore its older fan base. Harry Potter is a great example of a series, albeit a book series, that appealed to both children and adults. It aged well while still keeping the magic and wonder of the series alive.

I'm not asking for a BVS maturity, simply an evolution of what was started in BW.

Fynn
06-01-2016, 06:35 PM
That we can agree on. X and Y were a step down in some ways, the story especially. But they were still pretty good and I hope that Sun and Moon can be to XY what BW was to DPP.

Pike
06-01-2016, 06:46 PM
I actually love X&Y I think that's my favorite Pokemon gen (tied with gen 2) (I honestly think gen 2 is FANTASTIC and I know it's not just nostalgia because I replayed it a couple years back and it was still great)

Fynn
06-01-2016, 06:47 PM
Gen 2 is my second favorite gen, actually!

Nice
06-01-2016, 06:58 PM
I was in 5th grade when Red and Blue came out and I loved those games. By the time GSC came out I was ready. I've never had as much fun or invested as much time in a video game as I did with my copy of Silver. I sunk at least 2 years into that game. =/ When I say 2 years, I mean I only had one cartridge for my GameBoy and it was Silver and played the label off that thing.

Fynn
06-01-2016, 07:02 PM
Similar story here :p One reason I never got "genwunners" was because gem 1 was never that nostalgic to me - gen 2 is when I really got deep into Pokrmon.

I kinda wanna relive that, so aside from starters, I am trying to shield myself from any knowledge about Sun and Moon.

Pike
06-01-2016, 07:16 PM
Well, for my story... I'm older than most people here, so I was 15 when I first got and played Pokemon Red & Blue. So I was plenty old enough and I sunk hundreds and hundreds of hours into that game. Loved it. Loved it a lot. It was very important to me. However Gen 2 was just an improvement in pretty much every possible way, honestly. I feel like Gen 1 is really difficult to go back and play. When I feel like playing it I load up FireRed/LeafGreen.

IDK if I want to download the Gen 1 games on 3DS Nintendo eShop. As much as I loved them at the time I don't really think they've aged well. *is skewered*

Nice
06-01-2016, 07:20 PM
Yea same here. During all the hype for the eShop release of Red and Blue I was like indifferent. Now if GSC were to come to the eShop...