PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10

Pheesh
05-21-2016, 03:01 AM
So Microsoft want me to upgrade. I mean... They REALLY want me to upgrade. I've been holding off because honestly, 8.1 has been working fine and if it ain't broke don't fix it. My other biggest worry is that I have some programs installed that may not have been obtained by the correct means, so to speak. I'm not sure if I read correctly but right when Windows 10 launched I thought I heard that it was better at detecting stuff like that.

Either way, could people who have it give me a run down of what I'd be missing out on and anyone that could have upgraded and didn't let me know why. Will I regret not upgrading while it's free?

Mirage
05-21-2016, 05:31 AM
You will, if you have any interest in using DX12, which you should want to do, because it has the potential for serious performance boosts in games, without changing your hardware.

It's really not bad, just make sure you turn off telemetry things if you're worried about that sort of stuff. The upgrade process is painless, and you can reinstall a clean install after upgrading without losing your license.

Spuuky
05-21-2016, 05:32 AM
Windows 10 is just a nicer/smoother version of Windows 7 for almost any normal user.

Mirage
05-21-2016, 07:11 AM
And has a newer kernel, with all the security fixes that Win7 needs hotfixes for built into it, and better multi-display support, better window tiling features which is really nice for productivity.

It also allows OS-integration of google calendar and contacts, which is really neat if you have an android phone. My calendar notifications are now the same across most of my devices, without requiring third party software.

Going from 7 to 10 also brings noticably better support for bluetooth devices, although this feature is not much different from how it was in 8.1

Pike
05-21-2016, 10:14 AM
I had a couple of weird graphics driver issues when initially upgrading to 10 but beyond that it's worked fine. Haven't had any problems with program comparability, either, so far as I can tell.

Most importantly, Microsoft doesn't seem to care that my Win7 install wasn't exactly legal :shifty:

Old Manus
05-23-2016, 10:38 AM
The main votewinner for me with Win10 is the return of the Start menu. Gosh, the 8/8.1 abomination was a checklist of bad design.

As long as you turn off all the tracking of everything you do with your computer as well as the annoying Cortana, it's a superior upgrade. The only quirk I've noticed so far is that connecting to VPNs involves selecting your VPN from the notification panel, clicking it, and then being directed to a dialog window which...asks you to choose again.

Mirage
05-23-2016, 10:55 AM
I was never very bothered by the start screen in Windows 8.1. Probably because I haven't actually browsed for installed applications ever since it was made possible to search my installed programs directly from the start menu and then just press enter when it popped up.

krissy
07-17-2016, 05:11 AM
i like w10

but i am BEYOND pissed that they forced me to upgrade

and i guess i wouldn't have if they hadn't

and i know this makes zero sense cause i quite like w10

but WTF UGH

never said yes and one day it just started upgrading

iXanon
06-18-2017, 06:38 AM
Yes, I'm resurrecting an old thread rather than starting a new one.. :ohdear:

I've twice tried Windows 10, and twice have reverted back to Windows 8.1. My laptop just seems to run better on the older OS, and the specs aren't even that bad.. Agreed, the metro interface is awful, but with a little application called Classic Shell (http://classicshell.net/), it can run exactly like Windows 7 with the added advantage of being able to run Windows 8 apps (not that I've found any that I'm overly bothered about!).

Pike
06-18-2017, 02:28 PM
Yes, I'm resurrecting an old thread rather than starting a new one.. :ohdear:

I recommend starting a new thread in the future :) But it's all good.