PDA

View Full Version : Flea Market

Sephiroth
05-29-2016, 12:46 PM
What do you think about Flea Markets? I have been to a Flea Market yesterday because sometimes I can find something good but here I just have to experience that so many people have like this mentality:

*look up on ebay for the highest price and take that one, maybe go down by just a few euros and then always come up with the cliché comment "well prices are all going up"*

Of course I am talking about video game stuff.

Shaibana
05-29-2016, 01:18 PM
i never see any good games at a flea market.
so ill go to the local gameshop to get a used game for a good price :)

i do enjoy walking through a flea market once in a while and i usually end up looking for pig related items just because i like pigs.

Pheesh
05-29-2016, 01:58 PM
Nope. Too many people bustling around, they're a pain to walk through because everyone is stopping every 2 meters to look at something and the 'aisles' aren't big enough, there's never anything I find particularly interesting or worth buying, and it's no cheaper than purchasing something online a lot of the time.

If I go to a market I'll head straight for the food section cause usually there's really interesting food stalls there, and then I get the hell out as quick as possible.

Shaibana
05-29-2016, 02:14 PM
it is indeed all very messy, and usually its only junk they try to sell..
but there is this anual flea market every year that also has a regular market with it.. thats pretty much the only flea market ill visit

i do enjoy flea markets but i dont go if its truely only a flea market

Pumpkin
05-29-2016, 03:12 PM
I like them. I find some neat stuff and it's generally pretty cheap. At least around here. And it gets me out of the house

Midgar Mist
05-30-2016, 01:25 AM
What do you think about Flea Markets? I have been to a Flea Market yesterday because sometimes I can find something good but here I just have to experience that so many people have like this mentality:

*look up on ebay for the highest price and take that one, maybe go down by just a few euros and then always come up with the cliché comment "well prices are all going up"*

Of course I am talking about video game stuff.

Just to be clear are you talking about tangible stall filled flea markets or ebay?

Because the former is way more theraputic and I love them and thrift stores because I can buy great stuff for small amounts of cash.

I will say there does seem to be a better selection of cheap SNES games on ebay. And its the only place one can buy a trusty old analogue tv for Midgar Mist's PS2 (my retro dedication is quite something isn't it?)

Sephiroth
05-30-2016, 01:28 AM
I am talking about living people standing somewhere behind a table, you approach them, look at their stupid prices and walk away. Not ebay. I mentioned ebay because their mentality of like copying the highest pricesof ebay is ridiculous.

Midgar Mist
05-30-2016, 02:00 AM
I've not noticed a price hike in English flea markets to be honest. Ebay is still more expensive and in English markets there's no real tradition of bartering, you know cause we're English and boring and.......stuff.

Christmas
06-15-2016, 02:32 PM
I think someone put my pet flea for sale in the market. :(

Ayen
06-16-2016, 02:32 AM
This is the only flea market I've been to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9njfYlkOsw

noxious.sunshine
06-18-2016, 08:47 PM
FJ3oHpup-pk

I haven't been to a flea market/swap meet in sooooo long. I went to one with my ex back in like 2010-ish in Dallas, but aside from that, the last time I went was around New Year's 99/2000 with a childhood friend and her mom.

Her mom got completely shitfaced drunk (friend and I were only like 14, I suppose) and stole a bunch of stuff from different stalls (including a couple of expensive cameras) and even had -us- slip out of one place with several big picture frames. She wound up being too drunk to get us back home and my friend had to drive us (we were like 30 minutes away from our neighborhood).

Fun times.

I dig em though. Never know what you're gonna find at them

Galuf
06-18-2016, 08:56 PM
Hey as long as there is no animal eating tiny black smurfs im fine.

if there is. ill blow the whole place up. (jk)

fucking fleas

Xander
06-19-2016, 07:20 AM
The phrase "flea market" makes me feel itchy.. :ohdear:

I guess this is what we have in the UK as "car boot sales" where a bunch of people drive to a field and sell things from their boot (US: trunk? :D)

I love to go to them, they start at like 6.30am here, going on till like 11/12, so I have to be bothered to get up early enough. But.. I find it fun to explore them, even if I don't find anything I want.

I have had some great finds in the past though. I remember getting my Final Fantasy VII strategy guide from a car boot for £1.50. I also used to get Pokemon plushies there when they were more common. I once bought a Megadrive (another one, explains why I have three right now XD) with like 15 boxed games, for £15 or something.

Most recently, I was at a massive car boot a few weeks ago, and even though it was huuuge, I was finding nothing of interest. Until the last row of tables, I found a good condition special edition of Machinarium, complete with poster, soundtrack, concept art. For £1 :D I was very happy with that. They can definitely be worth the investigation, especially if you like random shopping. I don't know how flea markets (shudder) compare though!

sharkythesharkdogg
06-23-2016, 04:54 PM
With my local flee market you have the more permanent businesses and the food area. They try to look like everyone else, but when you're selling tons of used games, used books, cell phone cases, used DVDs, etc. it's obvious that it's your business.

Then there's the open air stalls where regular people come to sell stuff that was clogging their attic.

You have to get there really early to find good things at the open air tables, but you can find good deals at those tables.