PDA

View Full Version : What would be the worst job for your personality type?

Midgar Mist
05-29-2016, 10:43 PM
I would say I would be terrible at working for....any of the emergency services

1. I can't drive (never ever put a wheel in my hands, it WILL be the death of all mankind)

2. I'm crap under pressure, and that work is all about pressure

3. Put somebody's life in my hands and I will have a panic attack

So over to you guys, what's the worst career move you could make?

Peter1986
05-29-2016, 11:11 PM
I would say I would be terrible at working for....any of the emergency services

1. I can't drive (never ever put a wheel in my hands, it WILL be the death of all mankind)

2. I'm crap under pressure, and that work is all about pressure

3. Put somebody's life in my hands and I will have a panic attack

So over to you guys, what's the worst career move you could make?
You might be able to handle pressure surprisingly well if you need to - people are very complex when it comes to these kinds of things, and the most timid individual can suddenly take lots of initiative and come off as a leader type in times of need.

I would probably not enjoy working with stuff that can result in a catastrophe if done wrong;
for example, preparing a rocket launch or something like that.
It would suck hard if it failed.

Anyway, I actually tend to be very reserved and quiet in general, and yet I become über-outgoing if I actually have a concrete reason to talk to people.
That's pretty weird.

Pike
05-30-2016, 10:34 AM
Anything involving people.

So of course I was in customer service for years.

Fynn
05-30-2016, 10:57 AM
Anything that involves repetitive tasks that require no mental effort. So assembly lines and stuff like that. i need to be able to get mentally involved in a task

Galuf
05-30-2016, 11:36 AM
as of now. anything that requires socially things like talking to randoms.

E.G. Every job :lol:

Pheesh
05-30-2016, 12:05 PM
Anything that involved me having to be particularly cold and/or curt with people. Denying people health insurance or bank loans, things of that nature would really weigh heavily on me I think.

Crop
05-30-2016, 12:49 PM
Like Fynn I wouldn't like any sort of production line job, not just because of the mental aspect if it, but it's important that I have a job where I can slack off and goof around with colleagues from time to time.

Night Fury
05-30-2016, 12:57 PM
Retail because I mostly hate people...

Oh wait...... I work in retail. Maybe this is why I'm a grumpy smurf.

Also I think I'd hate a job where you are constantly bringing work home with you. I value my free time (slob time) far too much as it allows me to recharge. I always considered being a teacher but I do think I would hate it after a while.

Pumpkin
05-30-2016, 09:05 PM
Something like executioner probably

Midgar Mist
05-30-2016, 11:19 PM

As someone who has been in customer service for years (often as an unpaid volunteer) I feel your pain. I keep vowing never to do it again but I turn into such a money whore when I'm offered paid work of this nature. I'm a glutton for punishment.

Anything that involves repetitive tasks that require no mental effort. So assembly lines and stuff like that.

Funnily enough, despite all my education I prefer repetitive back room stuff. There's no customers pissing me off for a start. Also because I overthink and exhaust myself mentally anyway, I would probably go into meltdown if I was asked to think at work, as I already overthink 24/7 as it is. Also I hate it when superiors change their minds about how to do things every five minutes. I also hate being micro-managed.

theundeadhero
05-31-2016, 09:35 AM
Anything that requires charismatic social skills. I don't like conversation enough for that.
Also, things that require minute attention to detail. I'm much better at grasping the overall concept of things and letting the details fall into place on their own.

Bubba
05-31-2016, 03:42 PM
Also I think I'd hate a job where you are constantly bringing work home with you.

Probably a salesperson, especially one that was paid off of commission.

This and this.

I have to switch off when I finish work. Bringing a load of work stuff home like teachers would be a nightmare.

I used to work in sales for Royal Bank of Scotland before the recession. Trying to persuade someone to buy something when they clearly didn't need it is awful. I could never do that now. Back in the day though, I sold millions of pounds worth of PPI to customers knowing full well it was a scam. My apologies to anyone on here if I did this to you.

Midgar Mist
05-31-2016, 06:03 PM
I worked for roughly the same bank as you Bubba. I say roughly because of merger/takeover....stuff and stuff.

Last year I did 6 mths in a call centre in that big building in Halifax. I worked in the surveying dept (Colleys). I was on inbound though, dealing with customers and lenders alike and....anyone else in between who felt like bugging us lot who worked in the proverbial trenches.
Bank of Scotland calls were rare but I got some of their mortgage lenders getting uppity about outstanding reports from time to time. It was normally Halifax Bank lenders calling, I figured this was due to them being the lenders who screwed around their clients the most. Because LLoyds lenders hardly ever seemed to call.

But let me tell you working for LBG sucks. Supervisors kept sending me damn emails I could see on pop ups every five minutes while I was on the phone trying to help someone. And they kept changing their damn minds about how we should handle calls. Fricking frustrating. Glad I don't work there now.

Formalhaut
05-31-2016, 06:07 PM
I couldn't work in a fast-paced sales environment. Way too fast, noisy, chaotic...

working in McDonalds would be my nightmare, to be honest.

Freya
05-31-2016, 07:33 PM
Working at a call center about billing for a service that autodrafts.

Source: I did it.

It killed my soul.

I will never do that again. The only reason people call in to call centers about billing is when they have an issue. I was called so many names. It was also a "legal insurance" type company so people would spill all their legal info to me too. It was very difficult and caused me to go through some bad depression.

Never again. I'm too soft hearted for that.

sharkythesharkdogg
05-31-2016, 08:03 PM
I dunno. :shrug:

Punching children or baby animals would probably start to bum me out after a while. Then I'd have to resort to day drinking to cope.

Bubba
06-01-2016, 01:58 PM
I dunno. :shrug:

Punching children or baby animals would probably start to bum me out after a while. Then I'd have to resort to day drinking to cope.

Is there a job for this?!?!?!

The way Baby Bubba has been the last few nights... I'm tempted to say you can practise on him.

Loony BoB
06-03-2016, 12:59 PM
Also I think I'd hate a job where you are constantly bringing work home with you.
This in a nutshell. I switch off the moment I log out at work, and don't switch back on until I log in again. Homework is something that I dislike immensely.

Other things I'd not be any good at: Doctor/Fireman/Policeman Officer. Because while I am fine with the sight of my own blood and innards, I can't stand looking at the guts of another person. Similarly, I couldn't be in any job that required me to hurt animals because I don't have that in me. Even if it's a whole 'mercy' thing where you put them out of their misery or whatever. I couldn't cope with doing that kind of thing. Also, on a different note, anything to do with fashion because I just don't get it.

Pheesh
06-03-2016, 01:02 PM
This in a nutshell. I switch off the moment I log out at work, and don't switch back on until I log in again. Homework is something that I dislike immensely.

Other things I'd not be any good at: Doctor/Fireman/Policeman Officer. Because while I am fine with the sight of my own blood and innards, I can't stand looking at the guts of another person. Similarly, I couldn't be in any job that required me to hurt animals because I don't have that in me. Even if it's a whole 'mercy' thing where you put them out of their misery or whatever. I couldn't cope with doing that kind of thing. Also, on a different note, anything to do with fashion because I just don't get it.

You shouldn't really associate a vet with "hurting" an animal. I understand what you mean in that you still wouldn't like to be the one who has to put down an animal, but their job is literally the exact opposite of hurting an animal.

sinuosity
06-03-2016, 01:07 PM
Anything in sales/marketing. I'm far from smooth and I hate that vague feeling of intellectual dishonesty@

Loony BoB
06-03-2016, 01:10 PM
You shouldn't really associate a vet with "hurting" an animal. I understand what you mean in that you still wouldn't like to be the one who has to put down an animal, but their job is literally the exact opposite of hurting an animal.
Yeah, I know, that's why I mentioned the whole mercy thing. I just don't have that in me. But I'm sure there are other jobs which may involve hurting an animal on occasion, for their own good or not.

Fynn
06-03-2016, 01:12 PM
Oh yeah, I was recently locked out from my office and had to work from home. Worst day at work ever. And I don't mean just the work from home thing, because I used to be a full-time freelance translator, but this job is just different and having it nor separate from my home life was painful

Zeldy
06-04-2016, 09:49 AM

Ditto!

I can be very socially awkward at times, so naturally I work in sales. I think I'm a bit of a chameleon, I just pretend to be extroverted.

fire_of_avalon
06-05-2016, 02:44 AM
Working alone in a windowless environment on a repetitive task. I would go nuts. I need people, variety and problems to solve.

Shaibana
06-10-2016, 05:35 PM
either something with alot of humans/kids..
I have no idea how to handle kids. I dont like kids. they are often so loud.

or an office job.
I refuse to sit on my ass all day to do work on a pc. I need to be able to walk

I've had a 'factory' job once...
my task was to unpack some bags and check them for the tiniest faults or scratches. if they even had 1 tiny scratch then the bag would'nt be sold..
it was so boring and stupid..
I managed to keep it up for 1 hour.. then i quit

escobert
06-10-2016, 05:39 PM
pretty much every job that isn't being a farmer.

Shaibana
06-10-2016, 05:40 PM

*farmer fist-bump*

escobert
06-10-2016, 05:46 PM

*farmer fist-bump*

*farmer fist-bump*!

It really is the best job ever.

Shaibana
06-10-2016, 05:50 PM

*farmer fist-bump*

*farmer fist-bump*!

i agree
(tho as a pigfarmer I must admit that I want to see things become a bit more pig-friendly, and i am at the wrong place/farmer for that, but i dont want to leave anyway because I love my job and I have cats there that i cant leave <3)

escobert
06-10-2016, 06:00 PM

*farmer fist-bump*

*farmer fist-bump*!

i agree
(tho as a pigfarmer I must admit that I want to see things become a bit more pig-friendly, and i am at the wrong place/farmer for that, but i dont want to leave anyway because I love my job and I have cats there that i cant leave <3)

yeah, that's how I feel with sheep. I would prefer if wool was worth more and therefore sheep worth more alive and producing offspring/wool than being eaten by Hipsters in NYC. Or, I'd love to be able to make the farm a dairy farm again, as that's what my family did traditionally. But milk prices are low all over and we get raped by the system being so far east so our milk prices are even lower than the mid-wests. My dad sold the dairy herd in 2008ish and went to beef cows. He hates slaughtering them.

Shaibana
06-10-2016, 06:09 PM

*farmer fist-bump*

*farmer fist-bump*!

i agree

yeah, that's how I feel with sheep. I would prefer if wool was worth more and therefore sheep worth more alive and producing offspring/wool than being eaten by Hipsters in NYC. Or, I'd love to be able to make the farm a dairy farm again, as that's what my family did traditionally. But milk prices are low all over and we get raped by the system being so far east so our milk prices are even lower than the mid-wests. My dad sold the dairy herd in 2008ish and went to beef cows. He hates slaughtering them.

that is indeed a shame.

my boss would'nt mind starting a dairy farm, but at this moment there is just no money to be earned here either. with the milk quota gone the dairy farmers dug theire own graves. they can produce as much milk as they want, oversaturating the market, making the the milkprice drop rock bottom.

Ive worked a year at a dairy farm (alright it was an internship, but it still counts :P). if my boss would get a dairy farm somewhere in the area I would love to work there a couple of hours a day :D cows are great

Ayen
06-25-2016, 03:48 AM
Politician.

Having my entire life put under a microscope and every change of stance being drug up as an example of hypocrisy on top of the entire political landscape of my country and two-faced dealings would drive me insane no matter how good my intentions may be when starting initially.