PDA

View Full Version : Remaster Fanservice Anyone?

Midgar Mist
06-02-2016, 08:22 AM
Why did SE do a Remaster when they couldve just come up with an original idea?

Were they so out of original ideas that they thought tacking on a novella and tape recording was a good idea? Why?

Have SE ever heard the term "If it aint broke don't fix it?"

I'm of the opinion that the story ended with the canon ending of FFX-2 for the PS2. At least that's what I tell myself. Where's an amnesia ray when you need one?

I found out about this novella/tape abomination while doing some internet research. I found out in depth stuff about how they's screwed the plot up. For a while I was so upset I didn't even wanna play X2, or I wanted to throw the end fight and see Armageddon happen because it was preferable in light of the damage they did to the story.

Does SE themselves have a good explanation for this or did they just hide behind PR crap?

And why was the notion of an X-3 even on the table?

Just....

Needed to get that off my chest

Let's have a discussion?

Fynn
06-02-2016, 09:32 AM
I thought the audio drama thing had been out in Japan before and it was just translated now? I could be wrong though.

In any case, X and X-2 weren't playable on any modern console. HD remixes like this one are a great opportunity for fans to pick up games again as well as new fans to actually try the older parts of the series (ask Mr. Carny, for whom it is difficult to imagine that a game's graphics can run on anything other than 3D models :p).

It's money, and SE as a company needs money to make new games. Many people enjoy this remaster, so that's great for them. I'm still waiting for FFXII HD personally. Not only is it my favorite, it's the only one that's not playable on any modern system.

Midgar Mist
06-02-2016, 11:35 AM
Its not the HD bit I have a problem with. Sure I understand that the younger half generation down from me wants something new.

I'm saying, why ruin a good story that had a perfect ending? Its hard enough to get a high percentage in X-2 as is. All that hard work I did just for them to tack on shoddy plot lines years after the PS2 release?

And...if the 20 somethings want something new, then make something new just for them, wouldn't they appreciate that more instead of something that's been recycled?

Or how about a HD Remake that doesn't add anything extra on? By your logic youngsters have no interest in playing the PS2 version so it would be a brand new experience for them anyway.

It could be that SE are trying and failing to impress people my age by tacking something on perhaps?
Oh and my knowledge of the tacked on stuff comes from heavy duty internet reasearch. I know both synopses and how they end, even if there hasn't been a full Western translation yet.

I get the gist, its all I need. And the gist in this case sucks.

Jinx
06-02-2016, 12:32 PM
That isn't what fanservice is. :p

That said, I'd love a X-3. I love the world and characters of Spira and would love to see the story expanded on even more. And this wouldn't be the first Final Fantasy main series game they did it with (or the second, or third, or fourth).

Basically, if it's not for you, that's fine. But don't be sour grapes about it just because someone else is interested. If Final Fantasy or Square Enix aren't able to keep your interest overall with the series, maybe you've aged out of the series or it's just no longer for you. Not everything is going to appeal to everyone.

Fynn
06-02-2016, 12:44 PM
I think the biggest issue here is that the audio drama allegedly broke up Tidus and Yuna?

Shauna
06-02-2016, 01:05 PM
It pretty much made no sense, and ended on a cliffhanger? Don't care, disregarded it, I will consider it non-canon in my brain.

Fynn
06-02-2016, 01:10 PM
yeah, don't think I'm even gonna bother listening to it after everythin everyone has said about it XD

Shauna
06-02-2016, 01:11 PM
I think you'd be able to find a transcript for it, it'll probably take no time to read if you are curious.

Fynn
06-02-2016, 01:15 PM
I mean, I have it, as I have the remaster on Vita, but I kinda see no incentive to listen to it at this point :D

Karifean
06-02-2016, 01:16 PM
I think the biggest issue here is that the audio drama allegedly broke up Tidus and Yuna?

I'm still surprised so many people believe that's what's going on.

But yeah, *shrug* regarding the audio drama. It's pretty much just a hook to write another continuation on and doesn't serve any purpose on its own.

Jinx
06-02-2016, 01:17 PM
I wouldn't mind it so much if they actually did something with it. Even like a DLC mini game or something.

Tidus and Yuna are a shit couple, though. GOOD RIDDANCE. RIKKU AND TIDUS 5EVA

Shauna
06-02-2016, 01:17 PM
Well, if you want it, here's a full translation of it (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?discussion=1yjnpw7cz5cg4ml0iq40h5wk&page=974#24334).

And yes, it's clear that Yuna sent Tidus away to save him, but it's still dumb that Sin even came back.

Fynn
06-02-2016, 01:19 PM
This just gets better and better with every post :exdee: I may not be a fan of the original's plot, but even I can see that's all just messed up!

Midgar Mist
06-02-2016, 03:57 PM
It pretty much made no sense, and ended on a cliffhanger? Don't care, disregarded it, I will consider it non-canon in my brain.

My Philosophy, in a nutshell

Midgar Mist
06-02-2016, 04:01 PM
Double post due to technical difficulties:

FYI, I think FF15 looks amazing

Ayen
06-08-2016, 03:52 AM
Added story elements? I don't know. I imagine the same thing that made them think the Compilation was a good idea.

I'm still waiting for FFXII HD personally.

The wait is over, my friend.