PDA

View Full Version : Most Unique RPG's?

Pumpkin
06-06-2016, 05:45 AM
What are some of the more unique RPG's you've played, either in a good way or a bad way? The ones that don't stick to the typical formulas storywise or gameplay wise?

Formalhaut
06-06-2016, 07:11 AM
The World Ends With You.

Perhaps the most obvious unique element is the combat, which has its own fancy title (Stride Battle Cross System) and takes some getting used to, but is wonderfully executed and makes battles dynamic. Plus the music is pretty good and helps get you into the swing. I like that the combat forces you to involve both characters working together, which really fits in with the message of the game, though the game can autoplay your partner if you're learning the ropes. You can set your level and battle difficulty, and there's no functional encounter rate and you can battle when you want to, which is nice.

The story is also pretty unique in my opinion. I've always liked stories which are based on a date/time system, like the Persona series. With the story split over 21 days, you really feel as if you're progressing towards something and that feeling of urgency increases as you get towards the seventh days of each week. The character development of the major characters is compelling and comes with many a plot twist. I've replayed the game about three times and still find the story interesting.

And I'm still waiting for a sequel of some kind. :colbert:

Fynn
06-06-2016, 08:33 AM
EDIT: lol, forgot this is RPGs

Xenogears is unique in how big the scope of its story is and how it really takes you places you wouldn't expect.

Soul Hackers really feels like an episode of X-files or something. The story is interesting and the combination of cyberpunk and Native American folklore is really one of a kind.

Persona 1 is also very unique. In the worst way possible. The B-horror plot is ridiculous, but even that would be bearable if it weren't for the clunky mechanics like battle positioning and the way elemental affinities are presented that are so horrible that this game has aged considerably worse than Shin Megami Tensei I, which is a much older game.

Pike
06-06-2016, 10:26 AM
Is Undertale an RPG?

Because if so. Undertale hands down.

Vermachtnis
06-06-2016, 04:34 PM
Septerra Core easily has the most unique world map I've ever seen.

Depression Moon
06-06-2016, 06:15 PM
Adventures of Hourai High had a unique ability system that was tied to school clubs, but that was about the only unique thing about it. The game in general is bad.

Wolf Kanno
06-07-2016, 04:12 AM
Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure is pretty much what it says on the tin. Its a musical RPG by the same team that went on to do the Disgaea franchise. This game is surprisingly turn based though.

Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army pretty much plays like a detective simulator. There is an Action-RPG battle system (well a bad one at least) but the bulk of the game really come into play as you explore the streets of Tokyo solving mysteries with the aid of your demons which can influence people's emotions, read minds, explore locked off locations, and other useful tricks. It's the part of the game I really enjoy especially since the game plays in an episodic format.

Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness Part 1 is certainly more adventure game than RPG. It does allow you to create a characters, choose dialogue, and has turn based combat but so much of the pacing and presentation feels like a cool retro adventure game from back in the heyday of LucasArts.

Steambot Chronicles - Really hard to describe this one, RPG with choices and customization, yeah... but it also has an odd mecha combat that feels more like a bad action game. Also, you can become a musician and make money by playing different rhythm games based on the instrument you're trying to master. It was an odd game...

Vagrant Story - Can't really think of a game that comes close to this title in overall design. Perhaps Parasite Eve but even that game was more cinematic design vs. the dungeon crawler VS ultimately is.

Ayen
06-07-2016, 04:19 AM
Xenogears is the first to come to mind because of the story, and the battle system was fairly different from other RPGs I've played.

Legend of Legaia to a lesser extent due to all the combos you could punch in for a single attack.

And I'd say Chrono Trigger too because it managed to switch to the battle system on the same screen which is something I haven't seen up to that point. Honestly spoiled me a bit.

Colonel Angus
06-07-2016, 06:53 AM
Super Mario RPG
Chrono Cross

Ffamran mied Bunansa
06-07-2016, 08:33 PM
The Last Remnant. I'll admit I haven't played it that much because it's hard to get used to, but the battle system is incredibly odd and unique.

Resonance of Fate for the same reasons.

Nier is also very unique, but more for its story telling.

Del Murder
06-08-2016, 02:19 AM
The World Ends with You basically defines unique RPG.

Vagrant Story also a good answer.

For my obscure title, try Robotrek for SNES. You build robots that fight for you in combat that takes a little from ATB, grid tactics, and action RPG.

Laddy
06-09-2016, 05:10 AM
Torment. You can't die and 90% of the game is talking.

Fynn
06-09-2016, 10:52 AM
Today I remembered Live A Live exists. That is certainly one unique little game.

Randy
07-06-2016, 03:42 AM
One of my biggest surprises in the genre is still Paper Mario. It's unique for me because I never thought an RPG could work without any meaningful story or serious characters. But somehow, it does.

Psychotic
07-06-2016, 08:07 AM
Is Undertale an RPG?

Because if so. Undertale hands down.Absolutely this.

CimminyCricket
07-06-2016, 01:41 PM
I guess the most unique RPG I've played is Disgaea, and that's just because I've still never played a game that doesn't damage cap you and provides you with challenges that even without the damage cap are hard to beat.

Laddy
07-12-2016, 10:33 AM
Anachronox allows you to play a stripper, a planet, and a luchador wrestler, and the mouse cursor is alive.

krissy
07-17-2016, 05:08 AM
i loved watching the story of anachronox
dunno if i'd play it hahaha

i like child of light but it's quite the norm
it's unique though cause it's written in rhyme

sharkythesharkdogg
08-02-2016, 08:30 PM
Probably this one for the SNES.

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/5005b4cb84ae929b37203d61/5005b603e4b065dbfcb855d9/50dc6ec5e4b0a05702a65b9a/1406593752549/36-shadowrun-notext.jpg?format=1000w

Vyk
08-18-2016, 11:38 PM
Dragon Force will probably always come to mind in this regard. On the surface its a pretty straight forward fantasy strategy game with RPG elements laid in. And encounters on the field take you to a separate screen for the fight, similar to Fire Emblem and Shining Force. Except that instead of 1v1 for a hit or two, it can be up to 100v100, to the death. It's just as easy as a Shining Force game, so it's all about the fun factor, the characters, and the story. The latter two are good enough to get by. But that fun factor. Mmmm

FFNut
08-18-2016, 11:48 PM
The 7th Saga comes to mind as it felt different each time you played it based on who you chose.