IT'S HAPPENING.

COMING 2017. Have a trailer!!

D2-bWotLKqo

Fynn
06-06-2016, 10:47 AM
!!!!!!!

Fynn
06-06-2016, 11:02 AM
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--RdPwN_x4--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/tihhoj6a6phko8kzxjwq.jpg

The wait has been long, but the time has finally come! Final Fantasy XII has finally been confirmed for an HD rerelease, and it's the Zodiac Job system version!

The announcement came in the form of a teaser trailer (linked below) that showcases the game's improved HD visuals. The characters and environments are looking better than ever!

According to various sources (neogaf forums (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=205785393&postcount=177)), we can expect more than just a simple graphical update. As this version of the game will be based on the Japan-only International Zodiac Job System release, we can expect all of the extra features from that game, including a Job System, turbo mode, and a choice between Japanese and English voices, both of which are getting enhanced for the HD version. The soundtrack is also getting a remaster (is this what Arnie Roth spoiled us on?), and you will be able to switch between the original and rearranged soundtrack, just like in FFX HD for PS4 and Steam. We can also expect the usual upscaling of FMVs, shorter loading times, and an auto-save feature.

For now, the only platform given is the PS4, but fans are already talking about a Steam port in the future. Though I'm personally disappointed this is not heading to a handheld as well, this news is still great!

Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age is coming out in 2017.

D2-bWotLKqo

Are you excited? Will you pre-order this? Let us know!

Formalhaut
06-06-2016, 12:02 PM
Yay! This isn't like a very overdue April Fools, is it?

Very exciting news. Looking forward to it. This will please many people, I'm sure. The whole thing has been eagerly expected for years.

If anything, I'm most looking forward for Turbo mode. Because the grinding/farming/hunting can be very tedious.

EDIT: Oh no, are Vaan's abdominals still as weird looking as I remember? Ugh.

Fynn
06-06-2016, 12:57 PM
I don't get why people don't like Vaan's abs. They fit in with the art style, imo

Yar
06-06-2016, 01:09 PM
Yay!!! I'm so excited for this

Fox
06-06-2016, 01:13 PM
I'm Captain Basch Von Ronsenburg of Dalmasca!

So, as you can imagine, I'm very excited to see myself in upscaled, anti-aliased HD glory. It'll be a good way for me to get over all of Ondore's lies (which you totes should not listen to btw).

Crop
06-06-2016, 01:24 PM
OMG YES! I am all about this. Was holding off replaying FFXII in case this happened, so glad I did. Seriously....YES!

Sephiroth
06-06-2016, 01:25 PM
I hope this is gonna look really good.

Freya
06-06-2016, 01:26 PM
Yessssssssssssss. My man balthier in HD glory!

Aulayna
06-06-2016, 02:19 PM
I called it, a year too early, but I called it!

Depression Moon
06-06-2016, 02:49 PM
Good stuff Square Enix, good stuff.

Pumpkin
06-06-2016, 03:55 PM
Yesssssssssssssssssss

Bubba
06-06-2016, 04:05 PM
Whoo hoo! That's pretty much all the FF's remade now!

Now we just need a remake of the PS3's FFXIII on the PS4 and then a remake of the PS4's FFXV on the PS4.

Pumpkin
06-06-2016, 04:06 PM
FFIX MAYBE

Vermachtnis
06-06-2016, 04:31 PM
OMG YES! I am all about this. Was holding off replaying FFXII in case this happened, so glad I did. Seriously....YES!

Same here!

Freya
06-06-2016, 04:34 PM
DON'T BELIEVE ONDORES LIES

Galuf
06-06-2016, 04:51 PM
yay.

if only it wasnt just ps4 though :(
oh well. i hope its good(its FFXii ofcourse it will be)

Colonel Angus
06-06-2016, 05:31 PM
:omgomg::omgomg::omgomg::omgomg::omgomg::omgomg::omgomg::omgomg::omgomg::omgomg:

Depression Moon
06-06-2016, 06:36 PM
Are the jobs locked in this game? If so that will be very disappointing and not fun. I hope they'll give an option to switch because if I choose something in the beginning I don't like I'll have to restart the game just to change it and I might not like the one I change to.

Freya
06-06-2016, 06:50 PM
They'll be using a new job system, the zodiac system?

Fynn
06-06-2016, 06:52 PM
You stick with one job, but the system is balanced enough for you to be okay no matter what you choose, I hear. From the feedback that I've heard about the Zodiac Job System, it's a vast improvement over the original License Board.

Still kinda hoping Karifean comes in here with an explanation ^^;

Formalhaut
06-06-2016, 06:57 PM
It'll be an odd type of job system where you're forced with that one job for the entire game, I think. Though maybe they'll change it for us western audiences.

The worst thing will be farming fo- IGNORING those cursed 'superfun' weapons with a 0.0001% chance of spawning. As if the treasure system wasn't already a mathematical nightmare.

fat_moogle
06-06-2016, 06:59 PM
DANCING MOOGLES IN HD.

Fynn
06-06-2016, 07:04 PM
It'll be an odd type of job system where you're forced with that one job for the entire game, I think. Though maybe they'll change it for us western audiences.

The worst thing will be farming fo- IGNORING those cursed 'superfun' weapons with a 0.0001% chance of spawning. As if the treasure system wasn't already a mathematical nightmare.

It was modified for the IZJS release

CimminyCricket
06-06-2016, 10:10 PM
I am ready.

DMKA
06-06-2016, 11:03 PM
Oh man the trophies are going to be painful. I bet killing Yiazmat will be required for the platinum.

I'm debating with myself over whether to buy it for my PS4 or wait for the not announced but seemingly inevitable PC port.

Karifean
06-06-2016, 11:30 PM
smurfING

YES

FINALLY

TOOK THEM LONG ENOUGH.

Still kinda hoping Karifean comes in here with an explanation ^^;

You called?

Here's the most important things in a nutshell: There are 12 jobs (license boards) to choose from. You can give the same job to multiple people if you really want to (you usually don't). Before picking a job, you cannot spend any LP. Once you pick a job, you are stuck with that job for the rest of the game. Compared to original FFXII you'll generally be stronger in your specialization than if you tried to replicate the job you're using on the universal License Board.

Personally, I enjoyed the Zodiac Job System a lot more than the original license board. In regards to not being able to switch, it's a choice I respect since the whole point is to make a decision you cannot take back and just deal with the consequences; the game is forgiving enough to let you play to your preferences anyways so there's not much to worry about. Any combination of six jobs is perfectly capable of defeating every enemy in the game.

That being said it's perfectly possible that the rerelease will have some changes and actually will allow you to reset your jobs (or even let you pick extra ones) or choose between Job System and universal License Board.

Might as well mention that in spite of its few missteps I still think the treasure system is overall much better in IZJS. Most important items are simply 100% guaranteed chest drops that do not respawn, and you now also find a lot of the really good magicks and technicks in treasures in high-level dungeons.

Oh man the trophies are going to be painful. I bet killing Yiazmat will be required for the platinum.

It's not that bad anymore :P (https://youtu.be/TgC398Tn9B0)

Skyblade
06-07-2016, 02:55 AM
I'll be looking forward to playing this again. Hopefully it'll come out for PC relatively quickly.

Ayen
06-07-2016, 03:29 AM
Looks good.

Whoo hoo! That's pretty much all the FF's remade now!

Now we just need a remake of the PS3's FFXIII on the PS4 and then a remake of the PS4's FFXV on the PS4.

*PS4.5.

Wolf Kanno
06-07-2016, 04:20 AM
Interesting, neither Ito nor Minegawa are directing this remaster, only supervising... wonder what they've been up to for the last few years... :shifty:

Ayen
06-07-2016, 04:28 AM
Interesting, neither Ito nor Minegawa are directing this remaster, only supervising... wonder what they've been up to for the last few years... :shifty:

Final Fantasy XVI confirmed.

maybee
06-07-2016, 05:46 AM
I don't get why people don't like Vaan's abs. They fit in with the art style, imo

They're scary Fynn. :ohdear:

Anyways I hope that the FF XII fans enjoy this game. You guys have been patiently waiting for this for ages.

Final Fantasy XVI confirmed.

Oh gosh, please no. If Final Fantasy XVI is Final Fantasy XII themed I will die. Die a agonizing death. I only just started to somewhat see the good points about Final Fantasy XII a few months ago. I don't think that it's horrible trash like I used too, but it's still one of my least favourite Final Fantasy games.

Fynn
06-07-2016, 05:51 AM
Ito is responsible for the ATB system, FFVI, FFVII, FFIX - really, him directing XVI would be the best thing imaginable.

I'll be looking forward to playing this again. Hopefully it'll come out for PC relatively quickly.

Well, that's a shocker :p

maybee
06-07-2016, 06:24 AM
Ito is responsible for the ATB system, FFVI, FFVII, FFIX - really, him directing XVI would be the best thing imaginable.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Lfh6gmqwWhM/TyYHuLwQQCI/AAAAAAAAAW0/xdsTawlfJZA/s1600/man_praying.gif

PLEASE LORD

I HAVE BEEN GOOD THIS YEAR

Elly
06-07-2016, 01:03 PM
this i am looking forward to... recently i tried playing the PS2 version again, i even got some official Sony PS2/3 component cables but that made the jagginess and tearing more obvious... so, i love what they did with FFX on PS4 and i can't wait for an HD Remaster of FFXII...

Formalhaut
06-07-2016, 01:17 PM

Killing Yiazmat isn't really that bad. As long as you've got a good strategy, contingencies for his insta-kill attacks and a lot of patience, he'll go down. Honestly, I'm fearful they'll at a Seitengrat trophy or whatever the smurf. That'd be painful. A 'complete the main game with all characters on one job' would be devilish also.

With the remaster, I'm really hoping that with the power bestowed by the PS4, spell loading will be better. The fact that the game had to queue different actions using 'effect capacity (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Effect_Capacity)' made certain magicks just obsolete, and using physical attacks with haste/berserk and a support character churned out damage. If that was removed, using spells would be better and the battle would just flow more naturally.

Depression Moon
06-07-2016, 02:54 PM
Why Vaan's abs still look like someone without depth perception painted them on?

Wolf Kanno
06-07-2016, 06:01 PM

Killing Yiazmat isn't really that bad. As long as you've got a good strategy, contingencies for his insta-kill attacks and a lot of patience, he'll go down. Honestly, I'm fearful they'll at a Seitengrat trophy or whatever the smurf. That'd be painful. A 'complete the main game with all characters on one job' would be devilish also.

With the remaster, I'm really hoping that with the power bestowed by the PS4, spell loading will be better. The fact that the game had to queue different actions using 'effect capacity (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Effect_Capacity)' made certain magicks just obsolete, and using physical attacks with haste/berserk and a support character churned out damage. If that was removed, using spells would be better and the battle would just flow more naturally.

The action queue is still there, it's actually part of the battle system since you can use it to delay enemy actions (and vice versa). The only major changes to the battle system besides the job system is you can now directly control Espers and Guest party members with their gambits, and the enemies have been rebalanced to compensate for the job system. Other than that, it's just extra modes, some new weapons, all gambits are made available from the beginning; stuff like that.

Also the game pretty much had a trophy/achievement system already, I wouldn't be surprised if they just lift it for the actual trophy/achievement.

maybee
06-07-2016, 08:43 PM
Why Vaan's abs still look like someone without depth perception painted them on?

Hopefully there's a option to put on his white blouse that he wears in some other FF XII/ Tactics themed games. :ohdear: I'm one of the odd people that actually like Vaan, so another costume of his would be g-r-e-a-t !

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/finalfantasy/images/c/c2/FFTA2Vaan.png/revision/latest?cb=20120820012320

I still need to complete Tactics A2 ;-;

DMKA
06-07-2016, 09:49 PM

It does seem to add fuel to that one guy's crazy long FFXVI speculation thread.

Karifean
06-07-2016, 11:12 PM

The action queue is still there, it's actually part of the battle system since you can use it to delay enemy actions (and vice versa).

Well it's debatable whether the effect capacity limit is intended to work as it is not just to stay within hardware limits but also as a battle system feature. Either way I find it doubtful that they'll change it since X-2 has the exact same thing and there was no change for the HD Remaster. Which is too bad, the effect capacity limit really is a hindrance if you want to play more of a magic-based setup. Though you can also abuse mist charged moves to circumvent the problem...

Mirage
06-08-2016, 10:35 AM
I called it, a year too early, but I called it!

I did too!

krissy
06-09-2016, 04:11 AM
personally never thought it'd happen

DMKA
06-09-2016, 04:20 AM
personally never thought it'd happen

Same. FFXII gets treated like the ugly stepchild of the FF series by Square Enix for some reason. They rarely acknowledge the existence of the game or its characters in comparison to all the other post-16-bit FF games.

Elpizo
06-09-2016, 11:11 PM
Personally I wish we'd get to choose between which License board we want, like you had two different (sort of) sphere grid options in X. Yeah, I know most people prefer the Zodiac Job system but being locked into one job just doesn't appeal to me. Plus, I heard the IZJS removed my favourite weapon in the series from the game, that lovable Zodiac Spear. <.< >.> Mix of both, please. Keep the spear, add choice option for license board, all other changes of IZJS were fine, from what I gathered.

Pity about Larsa's infinite high potions, though.

Keeping my fingers crossed for an eventual Steam release.

Formalhaut
06-09-2016, 11:21 PM
They may very well change it for the Western release. I'd be surprised if it was literally just a direct port with graphical and aural improvement. I'd personally want to add one or two things to the cooking pot myself.

Karifean
06-10-2016, 12:01 PM
It didn't remove the Zodiac Spear, it's just obtained in a different way now, no more stupid leaving treasures unopened when you have no fathomable reason to do so. Now you just have to... uh... kill all 30 trophy rare game and split the trophies evenly between the three dudes. Or hope for a 1% treasure spawn in the Henne Mines. ...it could be worse.

Fynn
06-10-2016, 12:25 PM
The problem is that the entire game was rebalanced for the rerelase in order to accommodate the Zodiac Job System. If they were to include both versions, that'd be much more than including both sphere grids - you'd have to change monsters, chests, and a whole load of other parameters to have both types of gameplay be balanced. So essentially, two different games in one.

Big D
06-10-2016, 01:04 PM
I'm kind of 'meh' about this. I'm sure it'll look and sound pretty, and the new job system may make levelling/character progression more streamlined. But the game itself was perhaps over-long or badly paced, so I don't know if it could sustain my interest for another play-through - even in glorious HD.

Randy
06-11-2016, 02:06 PM
Very pleased with this. Although sad no Vita.

So what exactly was the Zodiac version and why is it so much better?

Looking forward to exploring this world again. Best thing I remember and this game. The closest they'd really got to open world before FF15.

Wolf Kanno
06-11-2016, 09:05 PM

Looking forward to exploring this world again. Best thing I remember and this game. The closest they'd really got to open world before FF15.

It was the International version of FFXII that Japan got after the U.S. release. It also featured many elements that were planned for XII that got cut due to time constraints. The most obvious one being the Zodiac Job system. Basically instead of one massive License Board with all abilities on it, you got 12 smaller ones, with each representing a Job Class like White Mage or Knight (the boards are shaped like Zodiac signs, hence Zodiac Job title) and you could only choose one for each of your characters. The game also added a few new items, changed around the treasure and drop rate systems, as well as giving you the ability to customize the gambits of Espers and Guest party members. Also the Quickenings are now their own bar, and no longer attached to your MP like the original.

The game also had a challenge mode where you can battle a 100 different bosses/Mark hunts and there is a speed up button like Chrono Cross. The Zodiac Jobs are the biggest change but the game has a lot of refinements as well over the original. It will be interesting to see if this version is just an HD remaster of the International version of if SE plans on adding in other mechanics or changes. I kind of feel its unlikely due to the games original director and producer being more of a supervisor role.

Formalhaut
06-11-2016, 09:07 PM

It was the International version of FFXII that Japan got after the U.S. release. It also featured many elements that were planned for XII that got cut due to time constraints. The most obvious one being the Zodiac Job system. Basically instead of one massive License Board with all abilities on it, you got 12 smaller ones, with each representing a Job Class like White Mage or Knight (the boards are shaped like Zodiac signs, hence Zodiac Job title) and you could only choose one for each of your characters. The game also added a few new items, changed around the treasure and drop rate systems, as well as giving you the ability to customize the gambits of Espers and Guest party members. Also the Quickenings are now their own bar, and no longer attached to your MP like the original.

The game also had a challenge mode where you can battle a 100 different bosses/Mark hunts and there is a speed up button like Chrono Cross. The Zodiac Jobs are the biggest change but the game has a lot of refinements as well over the original. It will be interesting to see if this version is just an HD remaster of the International version of if SE plans on adding in other mechanics or changes. I kind of feel its unlikely due to the games original director and producer being more of a supervisor role.

My only question is: how are quickening charges filled? If it isn't based on MP?

Wolf Kanno
06-11-2016, 09:14 PM
From what I've heard, pretty much like a standard limit break.

Karifean
06-11-2016, 09:14 PM
My only question is: how are quickening charges filled? If it isn't based on MP?

Anything and everything that charges your MP also charges your Mist Gauge along with it.

Btw one change I forgot to mention before is that treasure spawns are now rerolled if you only move *one* screen away instead of three like it was before. Which is quite a godsend.

Wolf Kanno
06-11-2016, 09:24 PM
Didn't they also fix the wonky A.I. concerning stealing? I thought I read that somewhere.

Formalhaut
06-11-2016, 09:37 PM

Anything and everything that charges your MP also charges your Mist Gauge along with it.

Btw one change I forgot to mention before is that treasure spawns are now rerolled if you only move *one* screen away instead of three like it was before. Which is quite a godsend.

OH THANK GOD.

Karifean
06-11-2016, 09:43 PM
Didn't they also fix the wonky A.I. concerning stealing? I thought I read that somewhere.

Nah they didn't. There's no gambit that targets enemies that you haven't stolen from yet. But "Enemy: HP = 100% -> Steal" always worked out pretty alright for me.

Formalhaut
06-11-2016, 09:49 PM

Nah they didn't. There's no gambit that targets enemies that you haven't stolen from yet. But "Enemy: HP = 100% -> Steal" always worked out pretty alright for me.

Yeah, that's the standard steal gambit. It does assume that the first steal will end up connecting, though for targets with rare items (and thus, will require *many* steals) I just put my entire team on steal gambits until the necessary item is stolen. And of course, if it doesn't connect you can just override and input manually.

I'm glad treasure chests one-zone. That's so much easier. Might make getting the Danjuro easier as well, it if also counts for monsters.

Karifean
06-11-2016, 10:00 PM
I'm glad treasure chests one-zone. That's so much easier. Might make getting the Danjuro easier as well, it if also counts for monsters.

Still two screens for enemies, but IIRC there's a bug you can abuse that lets you respawn Larva Eater rather quickly so the Danjuro isn't *that* horrible to get; either way it was replaced with the Hunter's Blade F (translation may vary) in this version which has like a 70% chance to KO on hit.

Formalhaut
06-11-2016, 10:10 PM
Besides the Seitengrat nightmare, are the best weapons still annoying to get, or have they even made them worse?

Karifean
06-11-2016, 10:32 PM
Well the Seitengrat, Trango Tower and Gendarme, the invisible trio, are all stupidly rare. But they all break the game anyways so you might as well pretend they don't exist and move on with your life.

Besides that I'd say it's similar to but overall slightly better than the original. In regards to equipment like Grand Armor and Helmet that was just utterly stupid to farm in the original game, now you can get at least one of each reliably through treasures in the toughest dungeons. There's a reliable not-bulltrout way to get one Zodiac Spear and Zodiac Escutcheon which is much appreciated. Getting the new best gun in the game pretty much necessitates farming the hardest regular enemies in the game, but at least the drops you need aren't frustratingly unlikely. The Tournesol is still the same as it always was.

Wolf Kanno
06-11-2016, 10:37 PM
Besides the Seitengrat nightmare, are the best weapons still annoying to get, or have they even made them worse?

Many of the "best" weapons have been made a bit easier to obtain now, mostly because the game created new "best weapons" and they get the BS requirements to obtain though in most cases they just take the requirement of original. For instance, the Durandal could only be obtained through the bazaar in the original, but the IZJS version made it a treasure and rare drop, whereas the new upgraded Durandal A sword now has the bazaar requirement.

So yeah its easier to obtain the original games uber weapons but only because the game introduced a whole slew of new "ultimate" weapons. Not to mention stats have been altered so some weapons are not nearly as good as they were (Zodiac Spear) while others have been improved like the Treaty Blade which now has decent stats for a starting great sword.

Randy
06-12-2016, 01:00 AM

So essentially it changes it from an FF10 type system to an FF9 type system?
I can live with that.

Wolf Kanno
06-12-2016, 03:45 AM
More like FFI, just with twelve jobs to choose from instead of six.

sinuosity
06-13-2016, 01:04 PM
SO hype rn.

Karifean
06-15-2016, 08:09 PM
Anyone else watching the gameplay walkthrough and Q&A on the Square Enix E3 Stream in 20 minutes?

https://www.twitch.tv/squareenix

Freya
06-15-2016, 08:18 PM
Sadly, I can't at work :( I'm going to have to catch it after it airs

Fox
06-15-2016, 08:36 PM
Anyone else watching the gameplay walkthrough and Q&A on the Square Enix E3 Stream in 20 minutes?

https://www.twitch.tv/squareenix

JUST got home in time!

Thanks to my colleague for the lift xD

Karifean
06-15-2016, 09:24 PM
I guess the only really new information there was the two turbo mode speeds and the map overlay (which is pretty cool btw). Mostly just recap of original FF XII and IZJS changes.

It also looks as though the spell & spell queue system has been revamped a bit, as the Thunder spell hit all enemies at the same time instead of one at a time, and Scathe and Flare can apparently be cast concurrently now?

Pumpkin
06-16-2016, 04:48 AM
What is map overlay?

Karifean
06-16-2016, 10:14 AM
What is map overlay?

https://youtu.be/LrWDJtxY4H8?t=33s

This is what I meant.

Formalhaut
06-16-2016, 02:44 PM
I guess the only really new information there was the two turbo mode speeds and the map overlay (which is pretty cool btw). Mostly just recap of original FF XII and IZJS changes.

It also looks as though the spell & spell queue system has been revamped a bit, as the Thunder spell hit all enemies at the same time instead of one at a time, and Scathe and Flare can apparently be cast concurrently now?

Scathe and Flare are both high capacity spells; you wouldn't be able to cast them both at the same time normally. That does imply that the spell queue is either different, or removed completely.

Randy
06-20-2016, 04:08 AM
Have they shown anything other than the Bhujerba mines yet? (I think that was the place?)

Be interested to see how some of the bigger environments look in HD. It was the locations in this game that made me remember it fondly. Rabanastre, Balfonheim, The Sandsea, The Phon Coast. I haven't played it for a decade but I can remember the layout of all of these areas still.