PDA

View Full Version : X-Men: Apocalypse

Ayen
06-09-2016, 12:10 AM
Kind of surprised there wasn't a thread already about this with all the superhero stuff being discussed.

I saw the movie a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed it. I wouldn't rate it above Days of Future Past, First Class, or even X-2 (and definitely not Deadpool), but it's up there with the better X-Men movies. I like what they did with Apocalypse even if he isn't as true to the comic book/old cartoon as he could've been. Although, the Ivan Ooze comparisons are a little more on point than I'd like to admit.

I enjoyed all the new cast members introduced, especially Sophie Turner as Jean Grey. The climax where she was saved as the trump card with a little Phoenix tease was wonderful. Though the poor girl has a little trouble keeping up that American accent. If it's the first time she ever tried to adopt one I can forgive her. She was great.

James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender continue to kill it in their respective roles. Quicksilver was great in the movie. Don't know how to feel about Jennifer Lawrence's performance yet. Felt a little phoned in.

Discuss.

Depression Moon
06-09-2016, 04:04 AM
I heard Jubilee has more screentime in this commercial than the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kniQrk9jw0

Colonel Angus
06-09-2016, 05:02 AM
If they wanted to have fun w/ the movie (which I didn't think was that bad, tbh), since it was based in the 80s, they should've made it like an After-School Special. Apocalypse could've been a drug dealer who sold heroin to the "four horsemen". As a result, they could've died of AIDS. Cyclops could've knocked-up Jean Grey and Beast would have an eating disorder.

Bubba
06-09-2016, 11:05 AM
I'm honestly done with superhero films. I used to love them but they're all that seems to be released these days.

charliepanayi
06-09-2016, 11:51 AM
I'm honestly done with superhero films. I used to love them but they're all that seems to be released these days.

Not really though. There's about 46 weeks of the year where there isn't a superhero film coming out. They're the ones that tend to make the most money though, so they'll keep happening.

Mr. Carnelian
06-09-2016, 12:16 PM

Agreed. Saturation point has been reached, I just can't be bothered with them anymore.

Del Murder
06-09-2016, 05:45 PM
I'm fairly certain superhero films are less than 1% of all the movies released this year. Just skip the bad ones and watch the good ones.

I heard X-Men Apocalypse keeps to the more traditional superhero movie formula and isn't all that original. I'll watch it when it comes out on video.

Ayen
06-09-2016, 09:55 PM
I heard Jubilee has more screentime in this commercial than the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kniQrk9jw0

Crazy thing is she had less scenes cut in this film than the first two films combined.

Bubba
06-10-2016, 11:31 AM
This list is only for the last 7-and-a-half years (since 2008) so I'm not even counting a lot of them but...

Iron Man
Iron Man 2
Iron Man 3
The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight Rises
Watchmen
The Incredible Hulk
The Wolverine
Thor
Thor: The Dark World
Green Lantern
Man of Steel
Punisher: War Zone
X Men Origins: Wolverine
X Men: First Class
X Men: Days of Future Past
Captain America: The First Avenger
Captain America: Winter Soldier
Captain America: Civil War
The Avengers
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Guardians of the Galaxy
Ant Man
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
Fantastic Four (again)
The Amazing Spiderman
The Amazing Spiderman 2
Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice
Deadpool

Upcoming:

Doctor Strange
Suicide Squad
Wonder Woman
Justice League
Justice League part 2
Wolverine 3
Guardians of the Galaxy 2
Avengers: Infinity War part 1
Avengers Infinity War part 2
The Flash
Aquaman
Shazam
Spiderman: Homecoming
Thor: Ragnarok
Cyborg
Green Lantern Corps
Black Panther
Ant Man and the Wasp

Shaibana
06-10-2016, 05:47 PM
I love Jennifer Lawrence but her role was forced and pushed to the frontline pretty much only because she is the popular new oscar winner and they want to show her of.

the beginning with Magneto was cheesy as fuck.
The way-too-loving family that only excists in movies anoyed me more then it should..
the minute they got on screen being all happy and sweet i already knew they would be killed off just to piss magneto of.

i really enjoyed the movie :3 Quicksilver was hilarious once again. and (like Ayes said) Fassbender and McAvoy were once again great in their roles

charliepanayi
06-10-2016, 06:37 PM
This list is only for the last 7-and-a-half years (since 2008) so I'm not even counting a lot of them but...

Iron Man
Iron Man 2
Iron Man 3
The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight Rises
Watchmen
The Incredible Hulk
The Wolverine
Thor
Green Lantern
Man of Steel
The Avengers
Guardians of the Galaxy
Ant Man
Fantastic Four (again)
The Amazing Spiderman
The Amazing Spiderman 2
Deadpool

Upcoming:

Doctor Strange
Suicide Squad
Wonder Woman
Justice League
Justice League part 2
Wolverine 3
The Flash
Aquaman
Shazam
Cyborg
Green Lantern Corps
Black Panther
Ant Man and the Wasp

So over eight years or so, there's been around 30 films, which is around 4-5 a year. It's really not that many per year, especially considering they tend to be all crammed into the summer anyway.

And they won't stop until they all stop making money. No point criticising studios for chasing the dollar, that's what they do.

Del Murder
06-10-2016, 08:25 PM
A lot of those movies were also pretty awesome, including the very recent Civil War. Only a few of them have outright sucked, compared to most comic movies in the decades prior which have sucked. Maybe the next crop will suck. If so, you can expect to see them dwindle away. They are only being made because they have been pretty good and made a lot of cash as a result.

The 'over saturation' of comic movies I think can be traced to two sources: DC's move into the 'expanded universe' format and Marvel Cinematic Universe 2.0 in which they are moving into their more obscure properties. I don't think anyone is complaining about the independent properties which have been more or less at the same rate as before. DC's attempt is already being bashed critically and I bet if the next one is not a huge success (BvS was a financial success but it starred the two main properties and did not set a good tone for the future for them) they will scale back their plans. MCU 2.0 has some questionable titles coming up with Doctor Strange and Black Panther (though I'm looking forward to BP), but Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant Man, and Civil War were all pretty good. So I'm not seeing what's not to like there.

X-Men movies are coming out at about the same rate as they had since the beginning and the First Class and Wolverine franchises are probably coming to a close with the Apocalypse and the final Wolverine movie. Deadpool was well received and will probably continue, but if you didn't like that, just don't see it. The Fantastic Four reboot was a flop so don't expect to see them back any time soon. I think the system is working fine.

Ayen
06-10-2016, 08:27 PM
I love Jennifer Lawrence but her role was forced and pushed to the frontline pretty much only because she is the popular new oscar winner and they want to show her of.

the beginning with Magneto was cheesy as smurf.
The way-too-loving family that only excists in movies anoyed me more then it should..
the minute they got on screen being all happy and sweet i already knew they would be killed off just to piss magneto of.

i really enjoyed the movie :3 Quicksilver was hilarious once again. and (like Ayes said) Fassbender and McAvoy were once again great in their roles

I got to wonder, though, was the daughter meant to be Scarlet Witch? Did Fox pull a Marvel just because the MCU get to use Wanda, instead? xD

Magneto should've just let that guy at the factory die. See what happens when you help people?

Slothy
06-10-2016, 08:48 PM

Iron Man
Iron Man 2
Iron Man 3
The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight Rises
Watchmen
The Incredible Hulk
The Wolverine
Thor
Green Lantern
Man of Steel
The Avengers
Guardians of the Galaxy
Ant Man
Fantastic Four (again)
The Amazing Spiderman
The Amazing Spiderman 2
Deadpool

Upcoming:

Doctor Strange
Suicide Squad
Wonder Woman
Justice League
Justice League part 2
Wolverine 3
The Flash
Aquaman
Shazam
Cyborg
Green Lantern Corps
Black Panther
Ant Man and the Wasp

So over eight years or so, there's been around 30 films, which is around 4-5 a year. It's really not that many per year, especially considering they tend to be all crammed into the summer anyway.

And they won't stop until they all stop making money. No point criticising studios for chasing the dollar, that's what they do.

Not to mention probably 8 or so of those movies aren't even worth seeing. At least not in theatre. And many of the rest are among the best action movies of the same time period, to say nothing of marvels tendency to make each characters movie feel quite a bit different from the others.

Superhero movies aren't some homogeneous blob, each interchangeable with all of the others. There's a surprising degree of variety and said variety seems to be increasing over time with the success of movies like guardians and antman. Not to mention coming movies like Doctor Strange if they prove to keep up the quality trend.

I could understand the complaints of most of these movies are bad, or they all retread exactly the same ground, but neither is true of you ask me.

Bubba
06-10-2016, 09:53 PM
Good or bad, there are still far too many. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Anyway, the X Men series peaked with X-2 so I'll definitely be giving this one a miss.

Depression Moon
06-10-2016, 11:15 PM
How can there be too many when no one has tapped into a good percentage of the existing characters? Shit, I don't think there's anything from Image comics and as of right now no representation of women and people of color.

Black Panther needs to come out and be good. Same with Wonder Woman.

Ayen
06-10-2016, 11:27 PM
If it's all right with you guys, I was kind of hoping this topic would stay about X-Men.

I really liked Storm and Psylocke in this movie, even if they didn't get a lot of screentime to really shine. I heard this was meant to tie up the story with Xavier, Mangeto, Mystique, etc. so the new movies will be more about the new cast. I hope so. I think it works as a good conclusion for them.

Also as much as I love the Wolverine cameo so much time is spent there and it feels like the movie could've cut that whole scene out to make room for other things xD. The only thing that came out of that scene was getting their costume outside of setting up the post-credit scene.

Sephex
06-10-2016, 11:36 PM
I'm in the camp where I don't think it was as good as Days of Future Past, and I liked it in general. The people saying it is "one of the bad ones" really needs to rewatch The Last Stand or Wolverine Origins again. But there is one scene in this one that I thought was better than Days of Future Past...

The Quicksilver scene topped the previous one. I knew it was coming. I knew they'd try to top it. I didn't think they would succeed as much as they did. Man, they could make a whole movie of him running around like that and I would watch it all day.

Slothy
06-11-2016, 01:42 AM
Yeah, this wasn't an amazing movie but I did enjoy it. Days of Future Part was better and I wish that they'd done more with the 80's setting than just making it a backdrop for the action, but it's definitely one of the better X-Men movies. Maybe even top 3 material on a good day if we ignore The Wolverine. X2 was a great movie at the time but I don't think it's aged as well as some think. Still a great movie, but their have been so many better ones since, and I like the recent movies take on Magneto so much I may give this one the edge over it.

Shoeberto
06-11-2016, 04:57 AM
It was okay, but I thought I felt like they padded the length to make it "epic" or whatever. I didn't think there was anything that happened in 2.5 hours that couldn't have been done more succinctly in 90 minutes. For how long the whole thing was, there was never very much tension or drama that wasn't entirely predictable or emotionally flat.

It wasn't bad at any rate, just not great.

Ayen
06-11-2016, 02:18 PM
I'm in the camp where I don't think it was as good as Days of Future Past, and I liked it in general. The people saying it is "one of the bad ones" really needs to rewatch The Last Stand or Wolverine Origins again. But there is one scene in this one that I thought was better than Days of Future Past...

The Quicksilver scene topped the previous one. I knew it was coming. I knew they'd try to top it. I didn't think they would succeed as much as they did. Man, they could make a whole movie of him running around like that and I would watch it all day.

Quicksilver got to kick ass in this movie. I loved how he got in all those licks against Apocalypse before getting his own ass whipped. Makes you wonder just how fast he is with all the time he has to spare during one of his sessions. This is a rare case where I prefer the Fox version of a character over another.

Apparently the next one is supposed to take place in the 90's. I wonder how long they plan to keep on McAvoy and Fassbender because if they keep time jumping like this they're gonna have to age sooner or later.

Shaibana
06-12-2016, 07:31 PM

the beginning with Magneto was cheesy as smurf.

I got to wonder, though, was the daughter meant to be Scarlet Witch? Did Fox pull a Marvel just because the MCU get to use Wanda, instead? xD

Magneto should've just let that guy at the factory die. See what happens when you help people?

naah, Scarlet Witch doesnt have animal-controle powers?