PDA

View Full Version : Is There a "Wrong" Way to Play a Video Game?

Forsaken Lover
06-10-2016, 01:28 PM
So I'm re-watching the excellent let's play of Metal Gear Rising by Chip Cheezum and General Ironicus and it reminded me of something. See, I don't normally play action games and I am just marveling at Chip's consistent S Ranks, a feat I could never hope to achieve. Anyway, what it reminded me of was a Chip and Ironicus podcast where they discussed "is there a wrong way to play a video game?"

It's a topic I see brought up a lot, in a roundabout way. How many times have people recalled anecdotes about playing something like FFVIII as a kid and not understanding how Junctioning works so they just spammed GFs? Also the last numbered FF game introduced an action game-like rating system after each battle, clearly saying "this is how you do it. If you are getting less than five stars, you are wrong." But this was something missing from all previous Final Fantasies and inded, most RPGs I've played.

And so I'm wondering...is there a wrong way to play an RPG? And I don't mean something simple like taking an hour to beat the first boss, I mean playing it "sub optimally." It's one reason I really dislike action games or action RPGs like Star Ocean. You get really competitive freaks who laugh at you if you take too long or play on easy and even the games themselves can shit on you. They don't do that in Final Fantasies besides XIII. You are encouraged to experiment and do as you please.

Fynn
06-10-2016, 01:38 PM
I mean, I don't think there's a wrong way, but in some games you can lose out on content if you don't go a particular path. For example, Planescape: Torment has large chunks of story that you'll only get to experience if you focus on your wisdom, intelligence and charisma stats, basically forcing you to play a mage if you want to know everything. And then there's things like Undertale that can be played in various ways with only one leading you to a "true" ending, and yet's it's not the only way to play the game.

Fox
06-10-2016, 01:52 PM
You get some games of course that thrive on having you play it 'wrong'. Take Deus Ex or Divinity: Original Sin, for example. I think there's just what the designers intended and what you actually do, but that doesn't make what you do wrong. Unless you're playing competitively and essentially cheating.

Formalhaut
06-10-2016, 01:55 PM
I wouldn't say there is a wrong way to play a game, though I dislike it when I'm made to feel as if I could be doing far better. I actually found FFXIII's star rating system to be somewhat grating after awhile. I'm pretty good at getting 5-star ratings, but some battles are almost impossible to do well in, and you end up getting a 2-star or a 3-star. Well gee, now I feel like crap. It isn't so bad; the worst examples are ones where you can only get [x] trophy or special item if you play the game on 'ball-crushingly hard' difficulty. No thanks.

Honestly, that Planetscape game doesn't seem terribly well designed. If it was made so that there's exclusive content for a mage, exclusive content for another class etc., that would work well and encourage repeats. For example, in Dragon Age: Inquisition there are slight differences in dialogue and choices depending on what race you play as, but no race is disadvantaged more than any other, while retaining interesting differences.

Fynn
06-10-2016, 02:01 PM
Honestly, that Planetscape game doesn't seem terribly well designed. If it was made so that there's exclusive content for a mage, exclusive content for another class etc., that would work well and encourage repeats. For example, in Dragon Age: Inquisition there are slight differences in dialogue and choices depending on what race you play as, but no race is disadvantaged more than any other, while retaining interesting differences.

That's a very conscious design choice. You just have to be smart/wise enough to deduce certain things and charismatic enough to make people talk, because very little is actually given to you for free like that. It makes a lot of sense, both in-game and out. If you're smart enough, you can actually avoid the vast majority of battles in the game, with only four being completely obligatory (even the final battle is optional if you have enough points in those stats). So it's less about disadvantaging other classes and more about you prioritizing - do you wanna just punch your way through everything and just win all the things, or do you want to take a more patient approach, scheming and deducing what is actually going on and figuring out how conflict can be avoided.

It's honestly one of the best things about the game and one of the reason why it's one of the most unique and amazing RPGs out there.

Loony BoB
06-10-2016, 04:47 PM
To me, the only wrong way to play a game is the way that stops you enjoying it. There are a few games out there that you might play in a certain way, and find really drab, just to be told "Hey, why not try it this way? That's what everyone else did." and suddenly you find it really enjoyable.

Wolf Kanno
06-10-2016, 07:29 PM
I find that most of the time an RPG can be played "wrong" it has more to do with the designers doing a shoddy job explaining the various mechanics to the player so they shoot themselves in the foot, or they program the game so loosely that exploiting the game becomes the norm. I feel this is why FFII and VIII get a lot of flak on the game design side of things.

Personally, I hat when games have very rigid playstyles. FFX and XIII really only have one way to play them for most of their game and it made for a rather boring experience for me. I feel RPGs work better when you have more control and agency on how it all works out, which usually involves more broad options.

Del Murder
06-10-2016, 08:37 PM
According to at least one party member in any MMORPG, yes.

Pumpkin
06-10-2016, 09:32 PM
I don't think so, no. Just have fun with it. It's nice to have structure but it's also nice to be able to explore and grow at your own pace and figure out what works for you and gives you the most enjoyment.

Pete for President
06-10-2016, 10:17 PM
Not taking your time for playing a game is the wrong way to play it.

Depression Moon
06-10-2016, 11:28 PM
Yeah. Try to play Halo like it's a puzzle game and you won't get anywhere.

krissy
06-11-2016, 04:34 PM
http://nowrongwaytoplay.tumblr.com/

for example
https://youtu.be/5m2a2dLdZ0M

Ayen
06-11-2016, 04:39 PM
Hopping away from a flying enemy because you don't know shift is the run button.

Karifean
06-11-2016, 04:51 PM
There is a wrong way to play a game, any game. It's when you start it up, play about 1%-2% of its content and then never play it again.

In all seriousness though, I'd say there definitely are 'wrong' ways to play games, but enjoyment is so subjective that one person's wrong way could very well be another person's right way, and this even extends to creator's intention. But to me personally, the only real 'right' way to play a game is to seriously engage in it, convince yourself that it's definitely worth your time, and play it however you yourself believe you'll get the most out of it.

Sephiroth
06-11-2016, 05:02 PM
GAME OVER
GAME OVER
GAME OVER
GAME OVER
GAME OVER
GAME OVER

Something weird is going on.

krissy
06-11-2016, 06:27 PM
no you're just playing dark souls

Sephiroth
06-11-2016, 08:28 PM
Never ever would I play this.

Zanmato
06-11-2016, 08:48 PM
http://nowrongwaytoplay.tumblr.com/

for example
https://youtu.be/5m2a2dLdZ0M
This dude is amazing! He took playing video games on a whole new level! :omgomg: