PDA

View Full Version : Will You Be Following the UEFA Euros 2016?

Formalhaut
06-11-2016, 05:00 PM

So the Euros 2016 football tournament has started. From 10th June - 10th July, you can watch grown men kick a ball around a grassy pitch for 90 minutes. it sounds more exciting than it seems written down, honest.

With Spain looking to continue their unbeaten streak in the tournament, and with the bracket expanded to 24 teams, it proves to be an exciting tournament! Can hosts France win with home advantage? We'll see.

Will you be watching the football, supporting a team or even just following the scores? Or is football not your jam?

Don't forget, EoFF has a thread all about it (http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/167412-Euro-2016-Thread)! Catch Bubba and Psychotic make awful football jokes, it'll be great.

Payet that one out!

I'm here all tournament, folks.

Pfft, I'd payet to see that again.

Zanmato
06-11-2016, 08:17 PM
It's not my cup of tea, although I want to know about Poland's situation. Mainly because my family is like "we'll lose anyway". XD

Psychotic
06-11-2016, 08:43 PM
Nope.

Fynn
06-12-2016, 09:56 AM
Soccer is bafflingly overhyped. I never saw any appeal in it whatsoever.

Shauna
06-12-2016, 10:58 AM
I only pay attention to football during the world cup and rge euros, so I'll be keeping an eye out and maybe watching a few games.

Zanmato
06-12-2016, 01:18 PM
Finally! Somebody understands me! :dance:
It's rare to hear something like that from Poland since this country is so "patriotic" in such cases... :roll2 :barf:

Formalhaut
06-12-2016, 03:29 PM
It's rare to hear something like that from Poland since this country is so "patriotic" in such cases... :roll2 :barf:

Is Poland one of those proud countries that take literally every sporting event seriously? Because I know Russia takes smurfing Eurovision deadly seriously.

Zanmato
06-12-2016, 05:51 PM

Is Poland one of those proud countries that take literally every sporting event seriously? Because I know Russia takes smurfing Eurovision deadly seriously.
Yes, it's one of those! :lol: That's why I'm not proud of my country - they're dead serious in almost every aspect of life (majority of the country, I mean), which is a shame... :erm:

Galuf
06-12-2016, 06:27 PM
whats a football.

SammieBabe
06-13-2016, 01:28 PM
Not by choice. But Hubs will be following Germany, so I'll know how they're doing at least.

Freya
06-13-2016, 02:41 PM
But... COPA?

Fynn
06-13-2016, 02:52 PM

Yes, it's one of those! :lol: That's why I'm not proud of my country - they're dead serious in almost every aspect of life (majority of the country, I mean), which is a shame... :erm:

Idk, that's kind of a broad generalization. You sure like your stereotypes, Formy :p

In general, I think patriotism is a good thing and I am happy to be Polish and I like my country in general. However, blind patriotism that leads to nationalism is bad and, sadly, many people here fail to see the distinction. Soccer fans are especially bad about this, and I'm not even talking about the international level - on a local level, fans can get very fierce and disruptive whenever their team is involved in a match with another team. Violence is not uncommon.

But overall, like many European countries, a lot of people in Poland are very much into soccer and as a kid that refused to conform to many gender norms, I had a very bad time for not liking or being good at the game. My experience of being bullied because I was bad at it and didn't enjoy it at all was kind of lame. So yeah, you can say that I'm bitter or something, I guess.

Psychotic
06-13-2016, 05:29 PM
The good outweighs the bad by a long way. I read a lovely quote by a UN aid worker the other day that I wish I could find, but to paraphrase it said no matter where she went in the world, no matter what disaster - hurricane, earthquake, typhoon - there would always be a bunch of kids kicking a makeshift ball around between two sticks, laughing and playing. It's called the beautiful game for a reason.

I found this great article while looking for that quote. http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2013/02/soccer-joy/berlin-text

Formalhaut
06-13-2016, 05:37 PM
It's beautiful when it is allowed to. But if I have to be honest, all this hooliganism has reminded me why I don't openly say 'I like football' unless I'm with like-minded individuals.

I'm not sure about this, and I'm sure I'm wrong, but I don't know of any other sport that has such a consistent problem with hooliganism.

Fynn
06-13-2016, 05:55 PM
Whether the good outweighs the bad really depends on where you sit

Formalhaut
06-13-2016, 06:24 PM
It is hard sometimes to be a fan of football. I'm bisexual, and you don't have to look far to see how football still has yet to come on that issue. You have to roll back only to the 1990s and look at the Fashanu tragedy. There's been other incidents and just an uncomfortable culture, in certain spots.

It has improved and I don't want to paint a picture as football as virulently homophobic, because it isn't, but in lesser forms, it is still there (http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/08/martin-oneill-homophobic-football-ireland-homosexuality). It makes me winch when it happens. It doesn't help.

I know this is straying from the topic, so feel free if it is deemed necessary to split the most recent run of posts. But it is an interesting topic. It isn't often I discuss, mainly because not many people that I know actually like football.

Zanmato
06-14-2016, 06:52 PM
Soccer is bafflingly overhyped. I never saw any appeal in it whatsoever.Finally! Somebody understands me! :dance:It's rare to hear something like that from Poland since this country is so "patriotic" in such cases... :roll2 :barf:Is Poland one of those proud countries that take literally every sporting event seriously? Because I know Russia takes smurfing Eurovision deadly seriously.Yes, it's one of those! :lol: That's why I'm not proud of my country - they're dead serious in almost every aspect of life (majority of the country, I mean), which is a shame... :erm:Idk, that's kind of a broad generalization. You sure like your stereotypes, Formy :pIn general, I think patriotism is a good thing and I am happy to be Polish and I like my country in general. However, blind patriotism that leads to nationalism is bad and, sadly, many people here fail to see the distinction. Soccer fans are especially bad about this, and I'm not even talking about the international level - on a local level, fans can get very fierce and disruptive whenever their team is involved in a match with another team. Violence is not uncommon.But overall, like many European countries, a lot of people in Poland are very much into soccer and as a kid that refused to conform to many gender norms, I had a very bad time for not liking or being good at the game. My experience of being bullied because I was bad at it and didn't enjoy it at all was kind of lame. So yeah, you can say that I'm bitter or something, I guess.
Excellent answer, indeed! :hattip:
Although it doesn't change the fact that I still have mixed feelings about our country.
I can't say that I hate it, but I also don't love it. I just try to live there, that's it.

Kalevala
06-15-2016, 03:34 AM
My restaurant is using our massive tv screen over the bar to show games all throughout the tournament, so I've been catching bits here and there.

escobert
06-15-2016, 02:12 PM
It's only June football season hasn't started yet ;)