PDA

View Full Version : Which FF should I play next?

Bubba
06-11-2016, 11:33 AM
I've finally completed Final Fantasy 2! I've been playing it on my commute to work on my Vita and hoooo boy, it was hard work.

My main console time is currently taken up by my Mass Effect adventures so I need a new game when I'm out and about on my Vita. I've now completed FFI, FFII, FFVII, FFVIII & FFX. I would like EOFF to choose my next FF adventure! Gonna have a quick run through of Resident Evil 1 then in a weeks time I'm gonna start. I've got all the first 10 FF games downloaded so which shall it be?

FFIII - Never played
FFIV - Played about 20 mins. All I remember is there was a guy called Cecil.
FFV - Never played
FFVI - Got right near the end on a run a few years ago. Loved it but didn't finish due to moving house.
FFIX - Played the intro and that's it

Help me, EOFF. You're my only hope.

Forsaken Lover
06-11-2016, 11:53 AM
Hm...well it's quite the dilemma. On the one hand, you are coming off FF2 so something "in the early style" might work best. Granted, the version of FFIII on the PSP is a remake but it still plays a lot like an old game and has very sparse plot and characterization. This is the first appearance of a job system in a Final Fantasy and it's pretty fun, if flawed. Also it has a really cool concept of "magic tiers." Rather than having one universal MP pool that all spells drain from, each Job can only access various "levels" or "tiers" of magic. So say, White Mage will have 10 points in Level 1 magic and 5 points in Level 2 while a Knight, who can also use White Magic IIRC, will only have about 4 points in Level 1 magic and can never use magic beyond a certain level. This isn't precis figures, just giving you the gist.

However, it can be a very frustrating game for a few reasons.

I've heard the PSP port of FFIV is the best version of the original game. FFIV is a pretty solid title

FFV has really become a cult hit in the FF fandom. People love its goofy, one-dimensional plot and characters. Also it has the generally agreed upon best incarnation of the job system.

FFVI needs no introduction, of course. With Chrono Trigger, it stands tall as examples of when "gaming was good." It's also really boring.

Final Fantasy IX is seen by some as the apex of the PS1 FF games. Returning the series to more medieval fantasy roots, it has a pretty great translation, amazing music and a decent enough story with some good characters. Combat system is class-based with everyone having set abilities.

As for which is the best of theme? Well, since you mentioned needing something to do, it should be noted FFIII is a pretty short game by RPG standards. FFIX would be your biggest investment in terms of time, I'd imagine. As for which was the most fun for me, personally?

FFIX
FFIII
FFV
FFVI

Galuf
06-11-2016, 01:18 PM
i vote IX for story

or V for fun job system.

fat_moogle
06-11-2016, 01:42 PM
FINAL FANTASY IX. Do it.

I played FFIII a couple years ago on Android and it was really boring. There's literally nothing memorable about it at all.

As for FFIV, FFV and FFVI I'm in the same boat as you. Played about 20 mins of IV and V and almost completed VI but never got around to beating it.

Randy
06-11-2016, 02:01 PM
9 is definitely the best of your unplayed!

Karifean
06-11-2016, 02:07 PM
IX for sure.

Ayen
06-11-2016, 02:20 PM
You're already close to the end on VI, so you might as well start with that then move on to IX.

Bubba
06-11-2016, 02:26 PM
You're already close to the end on VI, so you might as well start with that then move on to IX.

Yeah, it's been a few years so if I played FFVI it'd be from the beginning.

Ayen
06-11-2016, 02:28 PM

Yeah, it's been a few years so if I played FFVI it'd be from the beginning.

Well then!

Wait, which version of VI do you have?

Fynn
06-11-2016, 02:32 PM
Go for FFIV. I highly recommend the 3D version, so either on the DS, Steam or mobile, as it's the definitive version of the game, imo. FFIV is kind of a must play because it's basically what put the series on the track that lead it to what it is now.

Pumpkin
06-11-2016, 02:35 PM
IX and V!

Fynn
06-11-2016, 02:37 PM
See, I realize how a lot of people are recommending IX, and it is a fantastic game, don't get me wrong, but generally think it's one of those games that you really appreciate more if you play all of its predecessors first due to how much more it alludes to previous FFs, especially the pre-VII generations

Ayen
06-11-2016, 02:38 PM
See, I realize how a lot of people are recommending IX, and it is a fantastic game, don't get me wrong, but generally think it's one of those games that you really appreciate more if you play all of its predecessors first due to how much more it alludes to previous FFs, especially the pre-VII generations

Oh, yeah, this. I forgot my first playthrough of IX was horrible because I only played VII and VIII up to that point.

Galuf
06-11-2016, 02:42 PM
i only played VI V VII and XIII before IX and it was still my favourite.

i guess i played a tiny bit of II too.

Thats probably just me though

Fynn
06-11-2016, 02:43 PM
I'm not saying you can't enjoy it

Just that I think you'll like it better if you know all the things

Just sayin

Bubba
06-11-2016, 02:58 PM

I have the PS One Classic on my Vita and I have the Gameboy Advance version as well. I know the GBA one is better but I'd rather have all my save files in one place.

Ayen
06-11-2016, 03:00 PM

I have the PS One Classic on my Vita and I have the Gameboy Advance version as well. I know the GBA one is better but I'd rather have all my save files in one place.

I couldn't stomach the GBA version because the music sound like trout. I'd much prefer the PSX version to it.

Fynn
06-11-2016, 03:06 PM
The music isn't that much worse in the GBA version, IMO. And I'm the music snob here.

Pumpkin
06-11-2016, 03:18 PM
I played IX before any other FF and it was my favourite game ever and it remains my favourite game ever. I think you can appreciate it just as much if you play it before others. Just gives you a reason to go back and replay it later and be like "Oh yeah, that's neat".

Imma be honest, the call backs to other FF's didn't make the game any better or worse for me. They were just neat little things that the game would still have been just as good without.

That's just my opinion though

Forsaken Lover
06-11-2016, 08:28 PM
I would say I'm surprised at how FFIX is stomping this but, well, I'm not.

As for when one should play FFIX, FFIX was my second Final Fantasy game and I still loved it. I've come to regard it as painfully overrated but it's still a good game and I don't think playing any of these other games first will in any way lessen your enjoyment of FFIX.

Wolf Kanno
06-11-2016, 08:42 PM
Go in order. Its difficult to appreciate FFIII if you play later entries first, it just makes it feel antiquated, but I always appreciate watching the series evolution as you play through them in order.

maybee
06-12-2016, 05:04 AM
I would leave FF IV last because the DS version is the best version, though it's also the hardest.

Galuf
06-12-2016, 01:04 PM
I would leave FF IV last because the DS version is the best version, though it's also the hardest.

i think he is playing the PSP version. but if not then. This.

Shiva95
06-14-2016, 12:53 PM
I'd recommand Final Fantasy VI first, but FFIV, FFV and FFIX are all worth playing too. I haven't played FFIII yet though.

Fynn
06-14-2016, 01:10 PM
On second thought, I'll agree with Wolf that playing them in order is probably the best way to experience it, as you'll see how the series has progressed in an organic fashion

Bubba
06-14-2016, 01:22 PM
On second thought, I'll agree with Wolf that playing them in order is probably the best way to experience it, as you'll see how the series has progressed in an organic fashion

You see, I was thinking that. However, I had such a rough time playing FFII and wasn't really enjoying it towards the end... I know that FFIII has had a similar level of criticism. I guess I'm kind of hoping that playing FFII & FFIII back-to-back won't destroy my love of the series!

Fynn
06-14-2016, 01:54 PM

You see, I was thinking that. However, I had such a rough time playing FFII and wasn't really enjoying it towards the end... I know that FFIII has had a similar level of criticism. I guess I'm kind of hoping that playing FFII & FFIII back-to-back won't destroy my love of the series!

If you pick the Geomancer as your main spellcaster, you'll make the game substantially easier for you. Add to that a Viking with two shields to draw all physical attacks, and the entire game becomes cakewalk.

It's a different kind of difficult. One that you can solve by strategizing instead of just mindless grinding. So if you plan out your jobs well, you'll be just fine. My last playthrough of III was surprisingly easy thanks to that party combination.

Forsaken Lover
06-14-2016, 02:29 PM
II is no different from any other FF game. If you know what you're doing, it's a cakewalk.

But that's also boring. It's why you shouldn't give away optimum job and equipment setups like that. Now FFIII will be boring, too.

Fynn
06-14-2016, 02:34 PM
Now FFIII will be manageable

And very, very satisfying

Forsaken Lover
06-14-2016, 06:16 PM
Tch, if you say so. REAL men beat FFIII with a team of Scholars.

Fynn
06-14-2016, 06:27 PM
Well, if that helps you affirm your masculinity, go for it. I like to play smarter, not harder