PDA

View Full Version : The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Ayen
06-14-2016, 05:43 PM
Get. In.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rPxiXXxftE

Galuf
06-14-2016, 05:48 PM
it looks nice. but im not sure bout the game, ive never played skyward sword but this looks like it to me

Fynn
06-14-2016, 06:01 PM
Voice acting? In MY Zelda?

Also, I see armor changes. Still no green hat

Ayen
06-14-2016, 06:05 PM
Yes. Voice acting has been confirmed for a Zelda game.

I repeat, voice acting has been confirmed for a Zelda game. Nintendo has joined the 21st century.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtZwAGNVjc0

Liveblog of the game footage going on right now..

Formalhaut
06-14-2016, 06:06 PM
Is Link a silent protagonist? I don't think they'd breach that just yet.

Wolf Kanno
06-14-2016, 06:10 PM
Holy fuck...

Okay that looked pretty damn amazing. Looks like the emphasis on the game is being able to climb around on things and using stealth.

From the looks of how much everything has deteriorated, I'm wondering if this game may fall at the farthest end of the timeline for the series? The layout of some of the section looked surprisingly similar to ares in Twilight Princess for example.

Fynn
I wouldn't assume they'd change that

And it's kind of a shame. I liked that Zelda never felt the need to conform to the trend of every video game trying to be a movie and having to have voice acting. I'll miss the days when my imagination was the only limit for Zelda's voice

@Wolf - yeah, that would be cool, especially considering that the latest trend was just going further and further back in the timeline

Ayen
Is Link a silent protagonist? I don't think they'd breach that just yet.

Link is still silent. The voice acting isn't full. There are some NPCs that don't talk, either.

Depression Moon
06-14-2016, 06:11 PM
They need to slow down on clicking through text. This is our first time watching this.

Depression Moon
06-14-2016, 06:12 PM
The game is an actual rpg this time. Look at all this equipment and loot.

Depression Moon
06-14-2016, 06:13 PM
Pot Lid from Dragon Quest!

Wolf Kanno
06-14-2016, 06:14 PM
Sweet! Weapon stealing is back from Wind Waker. Never understood why that didn't become a thing cause it a cool idea in that game.

Ayen
06-14-2016, 06:16 PM
I think his clothes might be customization, too. Or at least change over time since he isn't wearing the blue all the promotional art has been showing.

Depression Moon
06-14-2016, 06:18 PM
Real rpg.

Wolf Kanno
06-14-2016, 06:21 PM
The Legend of Zelda: Scavenger World. Zelda finally went open world.

Ayen
06-14-2016, 06:22 PM
I wonder if the voice talking to Link is Princess Zelda? I love her voice.

Also, Koroks are back.

Depression Moon
06-14-2016, 06:24 PM
I want to see a shop.

Ayen
06-14-2016, 06:25 PM
Link has an axe. He's gonna chop some heads off!

Depression Moon
06-14-2016, 06:26 PM
Monsters were just minding their own business and then Link attacked them.

Depression Moon
06-14-2016, 06:27 PM
Almost killed himself.

Ayen
06-14-2016, 06:29 PM
They needed an explosive finale.

Ah, no story/character news, it seems. Just gameplay stuff. Eh, I can get behind that. It kinda makes me think how the first Zelda game would be if it was made today since there's so much focus on gameplay and world exploration.

Depression Moon
06-14-2016, 06:36 PM
https://i.imgur.com/JOzCM5I.gif

Jinx
06-14-2016, 06:36 PM
I love the art style. Mature like Twilight Princess, but cel shaded like Wind Waker.

Also, I'm with Fynn. No voice acting in Zelda!

Wolf Kanno
06-14-2016, 06:39 PM
I love how the music almost has a Joe Hisashi feel to it. Its almost like the music and art departments were binge watching Studio Ghibli films while working on this game. Not that I'm complaining mind you.

VA is more wait and see as far as I'm concerned. As long as Link doesn't talk, I'm not bothered really until the VA proves to be a bad idea.

Ayen
06-14-2016, 06:41 PM
I have no issue with voice acting in Zelda. So far from what I've seen it works.

In fact, this game incorporates a lot of things that on paper Zelda fans wouldn't like, and so far it all works. This is the most RPGish Zelda since Zelda II, and I'm surprisingly okay with that.

Edit: Posted that pic in the wrong site, omg.

Fynn
06-14-2016, 06:42 PM
Yeah, it's not that I think it's a bad idea, I just don't think a lack of voice acting is as outdated a feature as many people claim it to be and I kinda liked how Zelda still retained that old school feel in that regard

Ayen
06-14-2016, 06:45 PM
Yeah, it's not that I think it's a bad idea, I just don't think a lack of voice acting is as outdated a feature as many people claim it to be and I kinda liked how Zelda still retained that old school feel in that regard

Oh, I get what you're saying. That's why I'm glad the VA seems light. Strikes me as a good compromise. Since there's no reason for every single NPC in the world to have a VA.

Depression Moon
06-14-2016, 06:46 PM
Exploration is incredible!

Fynn
06-14-2016, 06:49 PM

Oh, I get what you're saying. That's why I'm glad the VA seems light. Strikes me as a good compromise. Since there's no reason for every single NPC in the world to have a VA.

I hate how some games try to "immerse" you by leaving only voices and removing subtitles or making them very tiny. My hearing isn't the best and I can have problems with some thicker accents and I would really just prefer to know what's going on by following with my eyesight or just scroll the text at my own pace. But that's just me :gator:

Ayen
06-14-2016, 06:50 PM
I like how it doesn't feel like Zelda Skyrim. They did a good job creating a unique experience that oozes the spirit of Zelda.

Also, there was a Temple of Time ruins a while back for anyone who missed it. I didn't see it, but heard it mentioned on the Zelda site I'm also following the news on.

Fynn
06-14-2016, 06:51 PM
So if this is the future, which timeline? It would be fun if this were the OG timeline after the Hero of Time loses.

Depression Moon
06-14-2016, 06:56 PM
Ice Keese.

Ayen
06-14-2016, 06:57 PM
Uncertain. From what I understand decaying kingdom suggests a Decline Placement. Koroks Suggest an Adult Placement.

Ayen
06-14-2016, 06:57 PM
SNOWBOARDING ON A MOTHER SMURFING SHIELD!

Wolf Kanno
06-14-2016, 06:58 PM
Yeah, this has definitely been the first "Wow" moment for me this E3.

Ayen
06-14-2016, 07:00 PM
This is the most excited I've been for a game since the announcement trailer of FFVII Remake.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! :excited:

Aulayna
06-14-2016, 07:01 PM
NX purchase confirmed.

Depression Moon
06-14-2016, 07:02 PM
Beating your ass with your own arm.

Wolf Kanno
06-14-2016, 07:02 PM
So if this is the future, which timeline? It would be fun if this were the OG timeline after the Hero of Time loses.

I'm thinking Majora's Mask/ Twilight Princess Timeline, but it would be cool to do a game set after Zelda II. The decay certainly makes it look like we're towards the end of one of the timelines but who knows?

Ayen
06-14-2016, 07:08 PM
To think people were skeptical about this being the only gameplay footage they were going to show at E3 this year, but after seeing this I can definitely understand why.

Sephex
06-14-2016, 07:10 PM
I can't wait until this one is remembered fondly and as "one of the good ones" 5 to 10 years after its release date!

Ayen
06-14-2016, 07:14 PM
I can't wait until this one is remembered fondly and as "one of the good ones" 5 to 10 years after its release date!

It's being considered one of the good ones now xD

Other fans I'm talking with are basically foaming at the mouth.

Formalhaut
But... to purchase an entire new console, though. :crying:

Wolf Kanno

I'm kind of waiting for the backlash to really set in. Maybe give it a few days, though backlash generally hits its full stride on release. I'm more curious to see if Skyward Sword is going to buck the trend and still remain divisive even after this entry gets released.

Ayen
06-14-2016, 07:18 PM
But... to purchase an entire new console, though. :crying:

This. The struggle is real! :crying:

We're in shrines! It's looking like the 100+ mini dungeons is true.

Ayen
06-14-2016, 07:19 PM
GANON CONFIRMED!

Goddess Hylia name dropped!

Wolf Kanno
06-14-2016, 07:20 PM
Yeah, I'm kind of sad now because I was thinking of getting a PS4 due to some games releasing in the next year, but now I don't know...

Formalhaut
06-14-2016, 07:25 PM
Yeah, I'm kind of sad now because I was thinking of getting a PS4 due to some games releasing in the next year, but now I don't know...

I'm really glad that I got my PS4 from my brother who was selling it cheap for £200. Between me and Mr. Carny, that's only £100 between us, and we got a great offer handing in all the terrible, terrible FPSs he had for it, which went towards some games for it.

But a launch-price console? Ouch. And I'm nervous as well because the Wii U barely got off the ground for me. I want the NX to do well so I can justify getting it.

Ayen
06-14-2016, 07:29 PM
They have a pretty good system seller in Zelda at the moment. Yeah, I know, one game is not a system make and hopefully they'll have more. Especially if this doesn't turn out being a launch title.

Wolf Kanno
06-14-2016, 07:30 PM

I'm really glad that I got my PS4 from my brother who was selling it cheap for £200. Between me and Mr. Carny, that's only £100 between us, and we got a great offer handing in all the terrible, terrible FPSs he had for it, which went towards some games for it.

But a launch-price console? Ouch. And I'm nervous as well because the Wii U barely got off the ground for me. I want the NX to do well so I can justify getting it.

I'm still thinking about just getting this for the Wii U if its still being made available for it. I'm not holding my breath for the NX unless Nintendo seriously wows me with it, which is doubtful.

I was kind of hoping that the announcement of the PS4 Neo would mean a price drop for the PS4, cause as it stands, I don't feel justified getting one yet, especially since everything I want for it will be out by spring and nothing in their show had me excited for 2017.

Ayen
06-14-2016, 07:32 PM
I think it's still coming out on Wii U. It's going to be like Twilight Princess was when it was released on GameCube and Wii. The reason for the delay was possibly due to them wanting to prepare for the NX port.

Wolf Kanno
06-14-2016, 07:34 PM
Then yeah, as it stands the Wii U will probably be the best bet.

So what kind of role do you think Zelda or Impa will have in this entry?

Fynn
06-14-2016, 07:39 PM
You mean other than exposition?

Freya
06-14-2016, 07:40 PM
OH WOW. I NEED A WII U

Ayen
06-14-2016, 07:43 PM
This entry seems to be breaking a lot of conventions, so it might be something completely different than the norm.

I can't wait to see what she looks like in this game :love:

Edit: Oh, and to remove all doubt of the Wii U version, that was what they were showing today. I forgot the controller they had were the Wii U pad.

If it looks this good on Wii U I can only imagine what the NX's version is going to be like.

Formalhaut
06-14-2016, 07:48 PM
I'm not sure I can even justify a Wii U. Not with my finances :crying2:

Ayen
06-14-2016, 07:53 PM

We need to start a charity for everyone who's too poor to buy a Wii U! HYRULE DEPENDS ON IT!

Oh, and something else I read on another site, I'll spoiler tag it since it was that way on there: "Our hero has been asleep for 100 years, a callback to Link’s previous adventures (Aonuma told us some conventions don’t change) but he wakes up to some dire circumstances: the world has been ravaged in the time Link’s been asleep by Calamity Ganon, a fog-like beast that creates a dark mist around what looks like Hyrule Castle."

If Hyrule Castle has been taken by Ganon than Zelda may either be captured, or in hiding somewhere.

Formalhaut
06-14-2016, 07:57 PM

We need to start a charity for everyone who's too poor to buy a Wii U! HYRULE DEPENDS ON IT!

Oh, and something else I read on another site, I'll spoiler tag it since it was that way on there: "Our hero has been asleep for 100 years, a callback to Link’s previous adventures (Aonuma told us some conventions don’t change) but he wakes up to some dire circumstances: the world has been ravaged in the time Link’s been asleep by Calamity Ganon, a fog-like beast that creates a dark mist around what looks like Hyrule Castle."

Okay, so based on your spoiler tag, it's a bit like Final Fantasy XII: Lightning Returns?

Also, I have a wider question. I'm not a big Zelda lore person, or even a huge Zelda fan. So how could the Hero of Time lose to Ganon, thus creating two alternate timelines? I thought Link won at the end of every game?

Of course, I've played like, three. So I could be wrong.

Fynn
06-14-2016, 07:58 PM
Three timelines

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--1fFdm3x---/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/18j0yyebco7eqjpg.jpg

Ayen
06-14-2016, 08:00 PM

Okay, so based on your spoiler tag, it's a bit like Final Fantasy XII: Lightning Returns?

Also, I have a wider question. I'm not a big Zelda lore person, or even a huge Zelda fan. So how could the Hero of Time lose to Ganon, thus creating two alternate timelines? I thought Link won at the end of every game?

Sounds like it.

At the end of OoT Zelda sends Link back to his childhood thus creating the time split. With no Link to sleep in safety and grow up into the hero that stopped Ganondorf that created a timeline where Ganon won.

I'm by no mean an expert on it since I haven't looked at it, so I could stand corrected. This game actually makes me want to read up on the Zelda timeline, and I never wanted to before. So props to Nintendo.

Edit: Ninja Fynn.

Wolf Kanno
06-14-2016, 08:02 PM

He basically loses the battle against Ganondorf/Ganon in the Fallen Hero Timeline, though some fans seem to have a hard time grasping this concept. Frankly the Hero of Time Disappears timeline is the one that baffles me since this is the ending where Link does defeat Ganondorf, so how come he's still around in this timeline?

If this Link has been asleep for a hundred years, do you think he's a previous Link then, or still a new one?

Formalhaut
06-14-2016, 08:03 PM
But the Ocarina of Time is a game. That you play. You beat Ganon. So is the entire 'decline' timeline based on the supposition that the hero is defeated during Ocarina of Time, assuming that the player didn't bother playing OoT? I'm still slightly confused by that point, but seeing that does help.

Also, how many times has Ganon been resurrected? He's been back from the dead so many times. I also noticed that not many of the newer games have been located within the decline timeline, so that'd be an interesting path to go down.

Ayen
06-14-2016, 08:04 PM
Ahhh. So it's something that doesn't really have a cut-scene or anything covering it (at least not in OoT) just them using a what if to place one of the three timelines under. Okay, I get it now.

Fynn
06-14-2016, 08:05 PM
Basically, Ocarina Time is where the timeline splits. One is the adult timeline where Link defeats Ganon, but comes back to the past to keep being a child and warns Zelda beforehand of Ganon's schemes. So the continuity where he returns results in Ganon's premature execution, and this later leads into Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess. But then, the continuity where he saved the world is left without the hero, since the guy from that period's past is back in a changed past, leading to Hyrule flooding and Wind Waker with its sequels. The first games in the series happened in a hypothetical timeline where Link loses the battle in Ocarina of Time and was killed by Ganon, resulting in the bleak world we see there.

The only times he really comes back is Twilight Princess and the adult timeline with Wind Waker. I kind of don't get why he's back by Wind Waker, but in Twilight Princess it's implied that he's kinda working from beyond the grave. In the original games, he had never died to begin with.

EDIT: No, wait, he's back by Zelda I after being done in in ALttP. Idk, it's all vague. Continuity isn't really the most important aspect of Zelda anyway.

Formalhaut
06-14-2016, 08:09 PM
Okay so if I'm getting this straight:

Decline - Link dies in OoT. Everyone's sad.

Child Era - Link is successful in OoT but heads back to the past to remain being a kid and warn everyone.

Adult Era - Link is successful in OoT but... does what? Nothing?

It's the adult era stuff I'm still confused on now.

Ugh, sorry if I'm sounding more dense than I usually am. Ocarina of Time is a complex enough game with a child and an adult link.

Ayen
06-14-2016, 08:09 PM
Basically, if you get a game over on OoT fighting Ganon and quit you cause the Decline Timeline. I hope you're proud of yourself :p

I don't care much about continuity, either. It's just something Nintendo slapped together because of fan demand, and then the fans got upset by it, anyhow.

Okay so if I'm getting this straight:

Decline - Link dies in OoT. Everyone's sad.

Child Era - Link is successful in OoT but heads back to the past to remain being a kid and warn everyone.

Ugh, sorry if I'm sounding more dense than I usually am. Ocarina of Time is a complex enough game with a child and an adult link.

Adult Link is absent because he went back in time. Wibbly wobbly timey whimey.

Damn OoT screwed everything up xD

Fynn
06-14-2016, 08:12 PM

At the end of Ocarina of Time, Zelda sends Link back into the past so that he can live out a normal childhood. Since the Link that became a hero is left in the continuity that is no longer relevant to where he beat Ganon as an adult, that timeline is left without a hero. SO Ganon comes back and floods Hyrule

Galuf
06-14-2016, 08:16 PM
its actually Ganons many sons, not the OG Ganon.

Same with Ling ling oops i mean Link.

and zelda

and.....

yeah you get it.

Ayen
06-14-2016, 08:18 PM
I'm pretty sure it's a reincarnation thing, at least with Link and Zelda. I don't know if Ganondorf is reincarnated or not.

Formalhaut
06-14-2016, 08:18 PM
I suppose what I'm saying is I'm not seeing much of a difference between the child and adult timeline. I'm sure everyone's explaining it great, but I'm still stumped. I'm looking at the Zelda Wiki and everything. It even says here:

The presence of the Hero who went back and forth in time generated a fork in history, dividing Hyrule's chronology. The Child Link Timeline is the timeline that follows Link after being sent back to his original time following the defeat of Ganondorf by the Hero of Time

The presence of the Hero who went back and forth in time generated a fork in history, dividing Hyrule's chronology. The Adult Link Timeline is the timeline that follows the events after Link is being sent back to his original time, following the Hero of Time's defeat of Ganondorf in the final battle

The child and adult timeline sounds identical. Both involve Link being sent back to his original time by Zelda (because he has to live a normal childhood, etc.).

Galuf
06-14-2016, 08:22 PM
the MM and TP are take place when link goes back and stops ganon before it all.

The other take place continuing after ganons demise without ling ling there anymore cos zelda sent him back

Wolf Kanno
06-14-2016, 08:22 PM
The Goddesses flood Hyrule actually, in order to stop Ganondorf since no one was there to stop him. Yeah OoT screws things up, and technically the Ganondorf from Oot, WW, TP, and LttP are all the same guy, whereas later incarnations are either resurrections or new incarnations. In Skyward Sword, its revealed that Ganon and all the other Zelda villains are different incarnations of a the Demon Lord Demise's curse on Hyrule. So they'll keep coming back until someone can stop the cycle.

Here's a more "updated" timeline as well:

Tri-Force Heroes and Link Between Worlds are the only missing entries and they're both in the Fallen Hero Timeline, after Link's Awakening but before the original Legend of Zelda. My guess is the new game is either at the end of the Fallen Hero Timeline or the Child Link Timeline.

Formalhaut
06-14-2016, 08:25 PM
the MM and TP are take place when link goes back and stops ganon before it all.

The other take place continuing after ganons demise without link link there anymore cos zelda sent him back

Am I conflating the 'link goes back' and 'zelda sent him back' as the same thing? Is that where I'm getting confused?

Sephiroth
06-14-2016, 08:29 PM
Holy smurf...

Okay that looked pretty damn amazing. Looks like the emphasis on the game is being able to climb around on things and using stealth.

From the looks of how much everything has deteriorated, I'm wondering if this game may fall at the farthest end of the timeline for the series? The layout of some of the section looked surprisingly similar to ares in Twilight Princess for example.

They said months ago that there will be a connection to Twilight Princess. Not just with the Amiibo. The true question is now how deep that connection is story-wise.

Adult Timeline is the "Link is gone" Timeline. Link is gone because he left to go to the Child Timeline through Zelda's power.

Ocarina of Time

1. Ganon kills Link
Link is reborn in ALttP
2. Link contronts Zelda, Ganon gets his punishment from the sages (scene from TP) and is "pseudo-defeated" until Zant frees him
Majora's Mask happens
3. Link goes to 2. so Hyrule is left without him after the final battle of OOT
Hyrule gets flooded in WW happens

Wolf Kanno
06-14-2016, 08:35 PM
I suppose what I'm saying is I'm not seeing much of a difference between the child and adult timeline. I'm sure everyone's explaining it great, but I'm still stumped. I'm looking at the Zelda Wiki and everything. It even says here:

The presence of the Hero who went back and forth in time generated a fork in history, dividing Hyrule's chronology. The Child Link Timeline is the timeline that follows Link after being sent back to his original time following the defeat of Ganondorf by the Hero of Time

The presence of the Hero who went back and forth in time generated a fork in history, dividing Hyrule's chronology. The Adult Link Timeline is the timeline that follows the events after Link is being sent back to his original time, following the Hero of Time's defeat of Ganondorf in the final battle

The child and adult timeline sounds identical. Both involve Link being sent back to his original time by Zelda (because he has to live a normal childhood, etc.).

Basically at the end of OoT, Zelda gives Link the opportunity to live a normal life after he sacrificed seven years of his life to stop Ganondorf in the game by becoming an adult. So she sent him back to the moment when OoT started, but child Link ended up warning Hyrule about the danger of Ganon and he was imprisoned, preventing the events of OoT from happening and creating a split in the timeline because obviously Link still did all the stuff in the Adult Timeline in order to know how to stop Ganon, so the timeline where Link grew up and stopped Ganon didn't disappear by having change the past, instead it just split into a new timeline. So basically Link saved the world as an adult and when he was sent back to relieve his childhood as a reward, he decided to change history by preventing the events of OoT from happening and split time into two different timelines.

In the Missing Hero Timeline, Link doesn't exist anymore because Zelda sent him into the past and he changed history, causing him to live out his days in the Child Link timeline, so no Hero meant no one to stop Ganon when he resurrected, forcing the Goddess' to step in and flood Hyrule to stop him instead before a new Link could reincarnate into this timeline.

In a nutshell:

Fallen Hero Timeline: Link loses the fight against Ganon. OoT took place and Link failed.

Child Timeline: After being sent into the past by Zelda, Link changes time by preventing Ganon's insurrection. Oot never happens cause Link warns everyone about Ganon and he's sealed in the Twilight Realm instead.

Missing Hero Timeline: Follows the timeline Link created by defeating Ganon in OoT. Oot happens but Link disappears to create the Child Timeline, so it's everything in that timeline after Ganon is defeated.

Formalhaut
06-14-2016, 08:38 PM
So I suppose you could say the missing hero timeline is the 'original one', directly following on from the events of OoT's timeline.

That does go a long way in helping me, thanks!

Sephiroth
06-14-2016, 08:45 PM
http://www.bilder-upload.eu/upload/648565-1465934483.png

There is a bit of a logical problem with that though. Let's assume this whole multiversal stuff - which does not work - works, it would only be correctly splitting if Zelda always meets Present Link but in one event meets also Future Link and in the other one not. She would definitely have to meet both on one timeline otherwise the necessary logical circuit would be missing a Present Link who has not done anything yet (and no, his Future Self is not the "Present Link" I am talking about).

Aulayna
06-14-2016, 08:53 PM
So I went and took a photo of my Hyrule Historia for you (basically the English version of what Wolf posted)

Aulayna
06-14-2016, 09:06 PM
To try and explain it to you Formy, though Wolf's explanation was pretty good.

Ocarina of Time
- You start out as child Link, throughout your adventures you learn of Ganondorf's plot and work to obtain the Master Sword to defeat him
- However, you're too young to wield the Master Sword so you are "trapped" within the Sacred Realm, for 7 years, until you become an adult, during which time Ganondorf has executed his plot and bad stuff happens.
- As an adult, you beat Ganon, yay (or you fail, and the other branch of the timeline happens)
- Zelda then sends you back in time so you can relive your lost childhood and warn her younger self of Ganondorf's scheme

As a result, the adult timeline no longer has a Link (as he's been sent back in time, he doesn't exist in both timelines simultaneously). The child timeline doesn't play out the same way it would've done, as you pre-emptively thwart Ganondorf's scheme. Thus the divergence.

Sephiroth
06-14-2016, 09:13 PM
Best thing is Link cannot actually cause the Majora's Mask timeline to exist the way they try to show it at the end of the game because when he wakes up he is locked in a Master Sword chamber that is not yet open.:D So the scene where Future Link meets Zelda is total bollocks. He would have to wait for his young Self to open it and oh my, that would be a scene.

But as I always say. In fiction only the intention that something happens and the wish that something happens count. If they say it is, it is.

Ayen
06-14-2016, 09:19 PM
You can summon TP Wolf Link using the Wolf Link amiibo to fight alongside you. That's pretty cool.

Looks like there aren't going to be towns, just villages due to the decline of Hyrule. Which makes sense to me. Not sure what people were expecting in that regard, or why they're getting mad. Makes perfect sense for the narrative. But oh well.

Actually, scratch that. That hasn't been confirmed since villages kinda are towns.

Freya
06-14-2016, 09:21 PM
Wait so I missed it, where does it place this game in the timeline then?

Sephiroth
06-14-2016, 09:26 PM
Wait so I missed it, where does it place this game in the timeline then?

They did not mention it but the creators said like 2 months ago that apart from reusing the Midna & Link Amiibo you probably want to replay TP before playing this game as well as recognize stuff while playing the new one. So it is most likely before or after TP - that was not said though so how much it is connected to TP is purely speculative for us right now.

Ayen
06-14-2016, 09:28 PM
Yeah, they didn't give anything on timeline or the story (they didn't want to spoil it for this reveal) they mainly just focus on gameplay, which is some of the most creative I've seen in a while. But there's a lot of speculation where it fits in the timeline, which is fun to read.

Sephiroth
06-14-2016, 09:30 PM
If the want to bring in a bit of sense with the Wolf Link partner they are gonna make BotW after TP. Kinda like Wolf Link being the manifested consciousness of TP Link like shiny Wolf Link was the manifested consciousness of OOT & MM Link.

Ayen
06-14-2016, 09:46 PM
The cooking options are also pretty fleshed out. You can also have failed cooking experiments.

Also, random field bosses are a thing.

Freya
06-14-2016, 09:57 PM
This and FF XV have Cooking aspects.

People are starting to agree with me that we need more cooking mama-esque features :D

Depression Moon
06-14-2016, 10:17 PM
Old man is new owl.

Formalhaut
06-14-2016, 10:25 PM
I thought Twilight Princess was in the 'yay, we defeated Ganon!' storyline. Why would Hyrule be in decline?

Sephiroth
06-14-2016, 10:35 PM
I thought Twilight Princess was in the 'yay, we defeated Ganon!' storyline. Why would Hyrule be in decline?

Twilight Princess is on the Child Timeline and that one got also pretty dark. Especially because the Twilight started to corrupt everything after Zant betrayed Midna. That is the story of TP.

And of course whatever might have happened before or afterwards in gaps that no game is mentioned for there can always be new dark stuff written. So stuff after Twilight Princess for example could easily be written as new dark era. They always have their story why that and that part of the timelines is a pretty sad one.

And Hyrule gets a bad card on ALL Timelines. On the Adult Timeline it gets flooded.

Ayen
06-14-2016, 10:36 PM
Oh, almost forgot, shirtless Link is a thing now.

You can have Link run around without a shirt.

Fan service.

Formalhaut
06-14-2016, 10:37 PM
Oh was Twilight Princess the 'gritty and dark' Zelda? I remember the art style of that one. Pretty realistic.

I really need to play more Zeldas. I've literally completed Spirit Tracks. I've played Ocarina of Time for the 3DS, but haven't completed yet.

Sephiroth
06-14-2016, 10:40 PM
Oh was Twilight Princess the 'gritty and dark' Zelda? I remember the art style of that one. Pretty realistic.

I really need to play more Zeldas. I've literally completed Spirit Tracks. I've played Ocarina of Time for the 3DS, but haven't completed yet.

TP was one of the darker ones, yes.

Ayen
06-14-2016, 10:49 PM
I also read that this game can be played with a regular controller on the Wii U and not just the gamepad.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-doesnt-require-the-wii-us/1100-6440877/
(http://www.gamespot.com/articles/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-doesnt-require-the-wii-us/1100-6440877/)

Wolf Kanno
06-14-2016, 10:54 PM

Ganon gets Revived in Four Swords, which is later in the MM/TP timeline, though considering we have damn robots running around, any number of things could have happened between ages.

So far the Missing Hero/Adult Link Timeline is probably the "happiest" timeline. Spirit Tracks pretty much painted a new beginning for Hyrule that is a hell of a lot better than where TP and Zelda II were taking things.

Ayen
06-14-2016, 11:05 PM
There was a fight with a guardian on horseback earlier where you could jump off the horse, parasail for some extra air then pull out your bow and bomb arrow it.

You can also burn grass and use the heat to raise the glider.

The amount of detail in this game is amazing.

I am Ayen and I'll be your play by play man.

Formalhaut
06-14-2016, 11:06 PM
You can also burn grass and use the heat to raise the glider.

Now that has 'classic Zelda puzzle' written all over.

Ayen
06-14-2016, 11:18 PM
Let's take a look at the replay:

http://i.imgur.com/Tz7XxqU.gif

KentaRawr!
06-15-2016, 05:37 AM
I was just watching some gameplay with my roomie, and something kind of occurred to me regarding where the game may exist in the timeline. An old man says that the great plateau is said to be the birthplace of Hyrule, which makes me wonder if the area they're on now was actually abandoned and there's another, still-thriving Hyrule elsewhere. That could place it in the same timeline as Wind Waker and Spirit Tracks.

Ayen
06-15-2016, 05:51 AM
That would be an interesting discovery. Nintendo showed so much of the game today, and yet it's still only the tip of the iceberg. I'm honestly ready to play this game now and the wait is liable to kill me. I love how pretty much everything in the environment can be interacted with in different ways.

http://i.imgur.com/36wVixU.gif

Link is getting ready for his race with Cloud.

https://67.media.tumblr.com/22cb8ba4982404287c1353ebbbd1e139/tumblr_o8rudircxi1ut5g9ao1_500.jpg

Douchebag Link xD

KentaRawr!
06-15-2016, 06:04 AM
That would be an interesting discovery. Nintendo showed so much of the game today, and yet it's still only the tip of the iceberg. I'm honestly ready to play this game now and the wait is liable to kill me. I love how pretty much everything in the environment can be interacted with in different ways.

http://i.imgur.com/36wVixU.gif

Link is getting ready for his race with Cloud.

https://67.media.tumblr.com/22cb8ba4982404287c1353ebbbd1e139/tumblr_o8rudircxi1ut5g9ao1_500.jpg

Douchebag Link xD

Absolutely riveting dialogue options. Link is such an ass. :lol:

Ayen
06-15-2016, 07:50 AM
Link doesn't have time for any hooded old man. He knows where this goes.

More news on the game:

"Users may not actually get the full story depending on how they play this game and how they strategize and solve puzzles," producer Eiji Aonuma told Polygon. "Users are able to go to the very end goal without revealing why Link woke up the way he did and where he did. Whether you want to reveal the storyline and find out why Link woke up, or you want to just go straight to the goal, that's an option totally up to the user."
When asked, Aonuma confirmed that a player could go directly to the final boss of the game from its opening moments if they wanted. However, he also stressed that he didn't view this as an ideal way to play.
"Anybody who can go straight to the goal without doing anything else — there's two possibilities," Aonuma said. "Either they're a really good gamer, or they could be somebody that's a little bit crazy. But it's not impossible. I created the game like that.

http://www.polygon.com/e3/2016/6/15/11942652/legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-ending

That's amazing. There's going to be so much game cred running around to anyone who manages to do this and succeed.

Del Murder
06-15-2016, 09:03 PM
That's kind of cool. Sounds like how some of the recent Western RPGs do things by allowing you to go straight to the final missions but at the risk of being severely underpowered and missing out on critical story elements.

It's pretty neat to see Zelda make its way into the modern world of RPG gaming but still hold on to its unique style. Best showing at E3 by far for me.

KentaRawr!
06-15-2016, 10:42 PM
This game my finally force me to get a Wii U. :cool:

Ayen
06-15-2016, 10:45 PM
Yeah, I want a Wii U bad now. Which is something I never thought I'd say even with how much I wanted to play Bayonetta 2.

At least with the NX right around the corner it may get another price cut so it'll be more doable for me. After that it's just the matter of making room for it.

Skyblade
06-16-2016, 05:22 AM
Link doesn't have time for any hooded old man. He knows where this goes.

More news on the game:

"Users may not actually get the full story depending on how they play this game and how they strategize and solve puzzles," producer Eiji Aonuma told Polygon. "Users are able to go to the very end goal without revealing why Link woke up the way he did and where he did. Whether you want to reveal the storyline and find out why Link woke up, or you want to just go straight to the goal, that's an option totally up to the user."
When asked, Aonuma confirmed that a player could go directly to the final boss of the game from its opening moments if they wanted. However, he also stressed that he didn't view this as an ideal way to play.
"Anybody who can go straight to the goal without doing anything else — there's two possibilities," Aonuma said. "Either they're a really good gamer, or they could be somebody that's a little bit crazy. But it's not impossible. I created the game like that.

http://www.polygon.com/e3/2016/6/15/11942652/legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-ending

That's amazing. There's going to be so much game cred running around to anyone who manages to do this and succeed.

Speed runners are going to have a blast with this game.

See, there are some problems with taking Ganon on immediately. Such as, say, weapon durability. It won't do you a lot of good to go straight to Ganon and have your sword break before he's even 1/4 of the way dead.

There's also the damage factor. A stronger weapon will take longer to collect, but will tear the final boss's health down faster.

So, the game is going to have a huge degree of routing to optimize these trade offs. Getting through the game in as short of a time as possible is going to involve a lot of wacky paths and trial and error, and I, for one, am looking forward to seeing the results.

Also, for a part of the conversation that was dropped earlier:
Ganon is the manifestation of the Demon King Demise's hatred. As long as Demise survives (he's currently trapped in the Master Sword), Ganon will keep being reborn.

Impa was cursed to be reborn to eternally serve Zelda, as a curse by Demise for how Impa helped foil his plans.

Link and Zelda are reborn as a blessing by Hylia to counteract Ganon's eternal recurrence and give hope to Hyrule.

Here, have a Let's Play:
FY0i9OL96-E
Qa3v7VG-UQQ
The shrines are apparently all completed in the demo. Normally, there's some more stuff at the end.

Ayen
06-16-2016, 05:40 AM
To give you an idea of how big the game's world is, here's a map of the Great Plateau which the E3 demo was based around:

http://i.imgur.com/esPyfvh.png

Here's that same map in comparison to the world:

http://i.imgur.com/J4tUUGy.jpg

The demo basically covers 1% of the overall game.

Wolf Kanno
06-16-2016, 06:11 AM
To give you an idea of how big the game's world is, here's a map of the Great Plateau which the E3 demo was based around:

http://i.imgur.com/esPyfvh.png

Here's that same map in comparison to the world:

http://i.imgur.com/J4tUUGy.jpg

The demo basically covers 1% of the overall game.

Yeah, I heard they said the map was slightly smaller than Xenoblade Chronicles X's world map.

Wolf Kanno
06-16-2016, 07:59 AM
I'm wondering if we'll see any of the other traditional tools in this series like the boomerang and hookshot? The producer said the climbing mechanic will allow you to sequence break the hell out of this game so I can see how some items may go, but I wonder if we'll see any special items or if this game is just going to drop them with the Book being the only tool, though obviously a multi-faceted one?

Galuf
06-16-2016, 10:17 AM
nah, they will 1 up TP and give you... A TRIPLE HOOKSHOT!!!

Hookshot4life

Jinx
06-16-2016, 01:57 PM
I'd really love for this game to be an end-of-the-timeline game. The very last game that can happen for that timeline. I think that'd be so cool.

Depression Moon
06-16-2016, 03:15 PM
I'm wondering if we'll see any of the other traditional tools in this series like the boomerang and hookshot? The producer said the climbing mechanic will allow you to sequence break the hell out of this game so I can see how some items may go, but I wonder if we'll see any special items or if this game is just going to drop them with the Book being the only tool, though obviously a multi-faceted one?

What Book are you talking about?

We did see fire arrows, a glider, and bomb for other tools.

Skyblade
06-16-2016, 03:34 PM

The Sheikah Slate. It's a tablet that hangs at Link's side, and it allows him to manipulate the world some. It gives him the "Magnesis" power, which lets him control and manipulate metal objects as we see in the video. It also serves as his world map, and will likely replace the traditional dungeon maps the series has used before. Given that bombs seem to be a time based, recharging tool that are made of glowing light, it may be responsible for generating them as well.

Ayen
06-16-2016, 09:27 PM
I'd really love for this game to be an end-of-the-timeline game. The very last game that can happen for that timeline. I think that'd be so cool.

And appropriate seeing that so far the game looks like a love note to everything that came before it with all the different elements we've seen. It's like they rolled all the old games together and made a new entry out of it.

Ayen
06-18-2016, 01:11 AM
Over 100 Monolith Soft employees are working on Zelda: Breath of the Wild (http://nintendoeverything.com/over-100-monolith-soft-employees-are-working-on-zelda-breath-of-the-wild/)

This explains a lot, actually.

Depression Moon
06-18-2016, 04:11 AM

The Sheikah Slate. It's a tablet that hangs at Link's side, and it allows him to manipulate the world some. It gives him the "Magnesis" power, which lets him control and manipulate metal objects as we see in the video. It also serves as his world map, and will likely replace the traditional dungeon maps the series has used before. Given that bombs seem to be a time based, recharging tool that are made of glowing light, it may be responsible for generating them as well.

How do you feel about the sci-fi integration in this game?
Would you like to see a full sci-fi Zelda?

Wolf Kanno
06-18-2016, 05:05 AM
I'm not too bothered by the Sci-Fi elements, considering they've been kind of popping up since Twilight Princess (visually at least) I'm getting used to them. Not sure how I would feel about a Sci-Fi Zelda, it would probably come down to how it was presented and done.

I think I may have met the first person tonight who is not excited about this game, in fact when we discussed it, he learned that two mechanics from SS were coming back and flipped out, saying he wasn't probably going to give a pass on it. Apparently the Stamina Gauge and Breakable weapons/shield/item mechanic is what made Skyward Sword so awful, and this game returning those elements are terrible because "everyone hated those mechanics". So yeah... :roll2

Ayen
06-18-2016, 05:22 AM
I'm not too bothered by the Sci-Fi elements, considering they've been kind of popping up since Twilight Princess (visually at least) I'm getting used to them. Not sure how I would feel about a Sci-Fi Zelda, it would probably come down to how it was presented and done.

Likewise. On paper it sounds like a horrible idea given Zelda's history, but if the execution was flawless and managed to maintain the Zelda spirit like this game has despite all the new elements being introduced, I would have no issue with it.

Fynn
06-18-2016, 06:01 AM
Skyward Sword already had sci-fi elements, and they worked well. I'm never really bothered by these things. Hell, the more you mix stuff up, the more original it is. Heck, the last time I was bothered about that was FFVII and I was like 11, so I quickly grew out of that.

Ayen
06-20-2016, 05:07 PM
Saw this on another site and had to share:

http://i.imgur.com/IgIwnZc.gif