PDA

View Full Version : What did you think of the party switching in FFIV?

Pumpkin
06-21-2016, 05:03 PM
Final Fantasy IV made party switching a pretty regular thing. Did you enjoy this or were you upset that your favourites kept getting taken away?

Fynn
06-21-2016, 05:12 PM
Surprisingly, I liked it a lot! You never knew who you'd end up with next and the party composition was actually dependent on the story, which was cool.

Ayen
06-21-2016, 05:39 PM
It didn't really bother me.

Wolf Kanno
06-21-2016, 07:05 PM
I enjoyed it, made me use characters I may not have bothered with only to discover how awesome they are, and it kept the game fresh throughout the adventure.

Depression Moon
06-22-2016, 04:26 AM
Surprisingly, I liked it a lot! You never knew who you'd end up with next and the party composition was actually dependent on the story, which was cool.
This

I enjoyed it, made me use characters I may not have bothered with only to discover how awesome they are, and it kept the game fresh throughout the adventure.

This too and thankfully due to this structure you weren't left with awful Edward permanently.

Ayen
06-22-2016, 04:28 AM
Edward is such a poor, misunderstood boy.

It's okay, Eddie. I still love you :squeeze:

VeloZer0
06-23-2016, 05:30 AM
I really liked how allowed for a little more gravity of the narrative. You could actually have bad stuff happen to party members, it made the whole quest seem much more epic.

That said, that kind of mechanic only works without a customizable party. If I loose a character I put a whole bunch of time into I tend to end up rather displeased.

Shiva95
06-23-2016, 12:43 PM
I really liked it. It made us discover all the characters.

Lyndis Highwind
06-23-2016, 08:42 PM
I liked it. It gave a lot of depth to the story. But I think it happened just a couple times too many.

Peter1986
08-17-2016, 06:23 AM
I liked how the final party felt so optimal, that was exactly the kind of final party that I expected;
the main character, his powerful companion, the ninja-thief, and the best and most central white and black wizards.

Vermachtnis
08-17-2016, 06:46 AM
I liked it alright. But my favorite feature of the advanced port was that they let you switch your party before the final dungeon.

Sephex
09-13-2016, 03:12 AM
Though I like the option to switch party members like in the GBA version, I do prefer the game switching party members naturally through the story. I think everyone gets good "screen time" in the original version.

Again, it was interesting to take other members to the final battle just to see all the different dialogue changes. I always like little stuff like that.

Bubba
09-13-2016, 12:01 PM
I have no idea. Just started this game on my Vita to play on my commute to work. I only have Cecil and Kain at the minute so not much switching going down :p

Galuf
09-13-2016, 12:50 PM
It was great abd not complete BS reasons to switch people put. Mostly.

and eventually every character was good. Though until cecils a paladim I think it was annoying as climbing mt ordeals woth 2 weak ass mages and another more hp less mp weal ass mage and a dark knight whos only way of dealing damage was to hurt himself. A thing that was nt even in the original.

Cell
02-16-2017, 04:14 PM
It lets you get a feel for the entire cast, rather than sticking to "that guy/girl is p cool, i'm main them in my party".

I liked it.

Laddy
02-17-2017, 07:55 AM
It's a shame half the characters are pretty damn useless.

Fynn
02-17-2017, 08:08 AM
Half is kind of unfair, though. Edward was pretty much the only one, and even he got a serious buff in the DS version!

Psychotic
02-17-2017, 10:59 AM
It was good to mix it up and make you play differently, but the "THEY'RE DEAD!!!! jk not really" card was played too many times to make the changes happen.

Formalhaut
02-21-2017, 04:58 PM
I'm playing it right now, and and I wish they gave you warning when someone was about to leave. Thankfully though, the guide I'm using tells me to "STRIP THEM" whenever I approach a leaving point.

Fynn
02-21-2017, 05:01 PM
I think the steam version strips them anyway

Pick up an augment guide, though! You can gain some super good abilities if you give them to the right people!

Formalhaut
02-21-2017, 05:05 PM
If I give an augment to a temporary character, does that mean I get more augments from them when they permamently leave? Augments are permament, aren't they?

Fynn
02-21-2017, 05:09 PM
Something like that, but the key is to give them enough augments to get some really good skills.

SkyRender
09-08-2017, 09:11 PM
I didn't mind the party changing in and out. It kept things fresh and let you experience a lot of characters. One thing I did though after my first play through was to un-equip whoever I knew I was about to lose! It's been years since my last play through so i'm a little hazy on the details, but I remember if you un-equip someone, they will have stronger gear when they come back. I forget how many times this occured, but I have a vague memory of Kain coming back with Samurai? gear after the Giant. At least I remember getting better gear, maybe I'm just crazy....

Kibbs Kibbard
02-12-2018, 03:55 PM
I have no idea. Just started this game on my Vita to play on my commute to work. I only have Cecil and Kain at the minute so not much switching going down :p

Ya know, I swear you could be my brother... I've seen other post of yours and everything sounds like it came from his mouth at one point, or that I can see my brother saying this or that in the given future. It's slightly eerie, but I miss the guy so it's nice at the same time.

So I guess... thank you?