PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon: Do you think Tri-Types should be a thing?

Galuf
06-20-2016, 08:09 PM
This ones more serious than my other thread.

Do you think there should be pokemon with Three Types?

When thinking about battles, it may make the game too complicated, or more fun.

And then the designs could be great, or just White Kyurem standard of overdesigned.

What do you guys think?

Del Murder
06-21-2016, 04:45 PM
I say do it. The games get too repetitive. Adding a third type would change it up a bit. If you like the traditional two types, play one of the older games. Gods know there's a lot of them to choose from.

Fynn
06-21-2016, 04:47 PM
Nah. Too messy.

Ayen
06-21-2016, 04:50 PM
I haven't thought about it much. I struggle to think of three types that would be compatible with each other.

Mr. Carnelian
06-21-2016, 05:39 PM
I haven't thought about it much. I struggle to think of three types that would be compatible with each other.

Bug, Poison, Flying: Beedrill would make sense as this, for instance.
Grass and Poison are an obvious combo, which could be easily combined with a third, like Fight.

Ayen
06-21-2016, 05:41 PM

Bug, Poison, Flying: Beedrill would make sense as this, for instance.
Grass and Poison are an obvious combo, which could be easily combined with a third, like Fight.

Ooh. That mean Beedrill already is a Tri-Type Pokemon. BEEDRILL IS AHEAD OF ITS TIME!

Jinx
06-21-2016, 06:11 PM
I think it'd be really hard to balance the game, so no.

BUT HEY MAYBE CHARIZARD COULD FINALLY BE A DRAGON MIRITE

Skyblade
06-21-2016, 07:46 PM
There already are plenty of tri-Type Pokemon. Because, like Beedrill, there are tons of Pokemon that should be +Flying. But either don't actually fly at all (in spite of their design being indicative of it) or have Levitate instead.

But 8x weaknesses are kind of ridiculous, as anyone who's seen a Fire move hit a Scizor after Forest's Curse can attest to.

Galuf
06-21-2016, 07:50 PM
theres not much you can tri-trump with one type though.

i know there is some though

Skyblade
06-22-2016, 03:48 AM
theres not much you can tri-trump with one type though.

i know there is some though

There's more than you might think. I've counted ten that are tri-trumped just from Fighting:
Rock + Ice + Dark
Rock + Ice + Steel
Rock + Ice + Normal
Rock + Dark + Steel
Rock + Dark + Normal
Rock + Steel + Normal
Ice + Dark + Steel
Ice + Dark + Normal
Ice + Steel + Normal
Dark + Steel + Normal

Any type that hits more than 3 types super effectively can tri-trump. So, Fire, Water, Grass, Ice, Fighting, Ground, Flying, Bug, and Rock. The more types there are, the more potential matchups for triple-effective hits.

Granted, there are also tons of type combos that don't lead to any huge synergy for attackers.

Rez09
06-22-2016, 11:42 AM
As a basic feature I don't like the idea, but Pokemon Insurgence toyed with the idea using Ethereal Shroud (https://wiki.p-insurgence.com/Ethereal_Shroud_(Ability)) on Mega Gothitelle (https://wiki.p-insurgence.com/Gothitelle_(Pok%C3%A9mon)), which I quite liked, and I wouldn't mind seeing something similar on a few official mega Pokemon.

Loony BoB
06-22-2016, 11:53 AM
Quite frankly I don't really care for new Pokémon types or even new Pokémon and am just patiently waiting for the day I can finally play an official Pokémon game that has every single Pokémon in it and all of them can be caught or evolved from Pokémon that can be caught. Literally catch them all. Not trade them all.

If they ever do this, they will have my money. Until that happens, they will have not a penny more.

Galuf
06-22-2016, 12:24 PM
perhaps to keep the idea from being overused, the could make like 1 or 2 Super rare legenderis have a tri type lol.

Depression Moon
06-22-2016, 01:53 PM
Hell no. That will make things too messy and x8 weakness is just dumb.
Edit: They haven't even covered all the dual types yet.

Quite frankly I don't really care for new Pokémon types or even new Pokémon and am just patiently waiting for the day I can finally play an official Pokémon game that has every single Pokémon in it and all of them can be caught or evolved from Pokémon that can be caught. Literally catch them all. Not trade them all.

If they ever do this, they will have my money. Until that happens, they will have not a penny more.

You can literally do this in the ROM hacks.

Del Murder
06-22-2016, 08:32 PM
Is there really anything with a 4x weakness that would be more negatively affected by an 8x weakness? Any trainer with half a brain would be aware of a potential 4x weakness move coming and switch out, or take the hit aware or unawares expecting to be one-shot by it. I'm not sure how doubling the power of those moves would make any difference.

Formalhaut
06-22-2016, 08:42 PM
Is there really anything with a 4x weakness that would be more negatively affected by an 8x weakness? Any trainer with half a brain would be aware of a potential 4x weakness move coming and switch out, or take the hit aware or unawares expecting to be one-shot by it. I'm not sure how doubling the power of those moves would make any difference.

You do have a point. a X4 weakness would probably one-shot most pokemon in tournament conditions. Only the most hardy pokemon would survive a hit like that.

Galuf
06-22-2016, 09:03 PM

You do have a point. a X4 weakness would probably one-shot most pokemon in tournament conditions. Only the most hardy pokemon would survive a hit like that.

Though if they are set up with great defense moves. like barrier or whatever, they could survive 4x fairly well (depending on the defense lvl and stuff)

ofcourse that only applies to that situation.

another thing is, playing the actual storyline ive survived 4x moves before. to survive 8x, id have to be pretty high level compared to the opposing pokemon, probably losing the challenge for the most of the game.

thats just my thought of it

Del Murder
06-23-2016, 12:09 AM
Yes, in story mode the opponents are so weak that you could survive 4x weakness, but then again they telegraph their attacks so much that you would switch out anyway.

I could see a pokemon with a defensive setup looking to absorb a 4x move rather than switching out and losing their boosts, but how often does that happen? More to the point, how often does that happen with pokemon that would potentially have a third type that gives them 8x weakness?

Galuf
06-23-2016, 12:16 AM
Yes, in story mode the opponents are so weak that you could survive 4x weakness, but then again they telegraph their attacks so much that you would switch out anyway.

I could see a pokemon with a defensive setup looking to absorb a 4x move rather than switching out and losing their boosts, but how often does that happen? More to the point, how often does that happen with pokemon that would potentially have a third type that gives them 8x weakness?

im no super competitive player so i dont really know what people use.

(just saying im not really backing for or against here, i just posed a question and said some probably bullshit)

i do want to see what they could do with tri types really. but not sure if its good or bad

Depression Moon
06-23-2016, 03:13 AM
Yeah, in general a x4 weakness means it's a wrap so with tri-types you'd start getting a lot more x4 weaknesses and x8 is just silly. Even a 20 damage move could one shot you.

Loony BoB
06-23-2016, 10:50 AM

You can literally do this in the ROM hacks.
Key word: Official. =]

Mr. Carnelian
06-23-2016, 05:20 PM
They could rejigger the weakness system, maybe?

Ultima Shadow
06-26-2016, 11:37 AM

It does make some difference actually, mainly because of the move Hidden Power. Let's take Mega Scizor, just as an example (since that's a pokemon I use quite a bit).

If your Mega Scizor is staring down a Heatran (a mon with massive Sp.Atk stat and STAB on its powerful Fire Moves) then yeah... you get the heck out of there.

However, a lot of mons in competetive play use moves such as Hidden Power in order to hit mons hard that they normally wouldn't be able to hurt much. Let's take a Latios using Hidden Power Fire as an example. Latios has a pretty good Sp.Atk stat too, but since it lacks a natural Fire-coverage move, it has to resort to Hidden Power Fire in order to hit Mega Scizor hard. Hidden Power Fire is a base 60 move and doesn't get STAB bonus, so despite being 4x effective on it, most Mega Scizors will be able to take one such hit still. So in order for Hidden Power Fire Latios to straight up beat Scizor, it has to predict the Scizor switch-in and catch it with a Hidden Power on the switch so that it can then treathen to outspeed and land another one before Scizor straight up OHKOs Latios on the following turn (or you can have other mons whittle Mega Scizor down a little first to get it in range for HP-Fire).

Now, if Mega Scizor had an 8x weakness instead, you wouldn't need to make any predictions against it with a Latios that has Hidden Power Fire. And Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn would also have to live in constant fear of Hidden Power Fire even on far weaker mons. Even some physical attackers would be able to run Hidden Power Fire to hit Scizor or Hidden Power Ice to hit Garchomp/Landorus if those mons were 8x weak instead of 4x to those Typings.

The move hidden power is mainly used to hit mons that are 4x weak to the specific Hidden Power that you are using. But most of the time, it's more of a surprise move to inflict massiv damage on mons that would otherwise beat you badly, rather than straight up OHKOing. If a fair amount of mons became 8x weak to a certain typing, you could pretty much put "Hidden Power *said typing*" on every other mon, no matter their Sp.Atk stat, and it would still kinda work out.

...anyway, even if this was not the case, I'm not really a fan of the idea of tripple typings, mainly because it would get pretty darn messy very quickly. Plus, there would be lots of potential for some reeeally broken typings.

qwertysaur
06-30-2016, 05:10 AM
The moves trick-or-treat and forest's curse exist, so you can have 3 types at once already.