PDA

View Full Version : Deal Breaker

Wolf Kanno
06-22-2016, 07:27 PM
Was having a conversation with a friend about the new Zelda when the subject came up to breakable weapons/shields along with the return of the Stamina gauge, he basically said he now had lost interest in the game because these two game design choices annoy him enough to make him disinterest in the game.

What are some video game deal breakers for you?

Fynn
06-22-2016, 07:30 PM
Surprisingly, I can't think of anything. The only time I've lost interest in a game I've been following is Tokyo Mirage Sedsions: #FE, and that's for a number of reasons, including stuff like betrayal of at least one of the two core franchises in the crossover, and the very direction that the thing took. Both elements are very much specific to this game only, so I don't think I can make a generalization based on that.

Slothy
06-22-2016, 07:32 PM
I'm quickly approaching a point where quick time events either are, or border on, being a deal breaker depending on their prevalence. Every time i see a game with any at all i immediately lose most of my interest these days.

Galuf
06-22-2016, 07:47 PM
not really the games fault, but fanbases and Uber UBER hype.

if i hadnt of just "found" undertale, id probably be like those people who refuse to try it because fans are so fucking annoying and cant let the poor game be.

Pumpkin
06-22-2016, 09:04 PM
Difficulty is probably the biggest one for me. If it's too hard and I try and it's still too hard then I'll probably just stop playing it. Straight up sex scenes. Certain genres just don't interest me in the least

Karifean
06-22-2016, 09:12 PM
Nothing in particular. I typically only play games where by the involved staff or by direct recommendation (for the right reasons) from a trusted source I can believe it to be worth going through, and if I consider it worth going through it doesn't matter to me what content it may have.

And hey look where it's got me. I've openly defended a tentacle rape scene for its storytelling value.

Ayen
06-22-2016, 09:17 PM
Difficulty is probably the biggest one for me. If it's too hard and I try and it's still too hard then I'll probably just stop playing it.

This.

You'd think I'd be able to come up with more, but I'm drawing a blank.

Freya
06-22-2016, 09:33 PM
UI complexity. If you're UI is cluttered or it's difficult to get places on it and you have a shitty tutorial, I'ma nope out. There are a lot of computer games that do this. Mostly strategy, some MMO's. Heck some of the changes on Sims 4 I'm not a fan of.

Del Murder
06-23-2016, 12:01 AM
I would also say difficulty, but only the type of difficulty that doesn't reward incremental progress. For example, having save points right after a difficult section or boss instead of forcing you to marathon through all the difficult parts without saving. That may have passed for game design in the NES days, but technology has evolved such that you can have a difficult game without requiring the player to memorize and then repeat an entire string of very precise commands until you reach the very end.

Spuuky
06-23-2016, 02:40 AM
I hate physics-based games with extremely poor physics engines quite a lot.