PDA

View Full Version : College from the other side

qwertysaur
06-30-2016, 04:06 AM
As I type this I'm finishing up my post hiring information as a professor of Mathematics at Lehman College. So starting this August, I'm a real professor, I will have my tuition covered for Graduate school, and I'll be taking in a salary, and I get an office to share with a couple other professors. :D I'll be teaching Algebra and Pre calculus btw.

So students, in your mind what makes a "good" teacher? What parts of math did you have trouble with? Help me be the best professor I can be!

Pike
06-30-2016, 10:33 AM
CONGRATS! btw I sang the thread title in my head. "College from the other siiiiiiiiiiide".

My Algebra II teacher in high school was probably the best teacher I ever had. Because of her I got really high scores on the math portion of the ACT/SAT, and got a 104% on the actual class final. (all questions plus the bonus questions correct.) I wish I could remember what she did exactly but that was like, 15 years ago ahaha. I feel like she was really good at explaining things, "this is how you do algebra and this is why", but without getting overly complicated. She was just really good at making explanations really clear - leaving out anything excess. I actually understood why I was doing what I was doing when I did the homework. I'm pretty sure she was born with some sort of innate talent. She always had a smile on her face too. And a lot of pauses as she talked so we could digest what she was saying - not too long, though.

Also one time we were learning about graphs and she somehow managed to relate it to "this is sort of like what happens when you drink a lot of caffeine and your brain doesn't produce as much of [some chemical] and then you stop" and I still think about that 15 years later. *sips caffeine while typing this out*

That was probably no help whatsoever. BUT best of luck! I know the difference a really good math teacher can make.

Pumpkin
06-30-2016, 06:43 PM
I think take time with the students who are really trying and be patient with them. Don't be one of those professors who shoots down questions or makes the student feel stupid for asking. That's my main advice! Congrats to you!

Chris
06-30-2016, 07:36 PM
Teach them that a "rare" steak, is a wrong steak. And they will succeed in life.

Ayen
06-30-2016, 08:02 PM
I was home schooled by my mom growing up, so I never had Algebra and Pre calculus. Mom thought Algebra was pointless, and I never asked her about Pre calculus. I was mainly taught basic match. Addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. I had trouble with the latter two in my head.

I think take time with the students who are really trying and be patient with them. Don't be one of those professors who shoots down questions or makes the student feel stupid for asking. That's my main advice! Congrats to you!

Ultimately, I agree with this.