PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for a first time drinker

Ayen
07-02-2016, 09:39 AM
Now, I'm not in any hurry to run out to a bar 'cause money, but I'm curious what you'd all would recommend for somebody who never had a drop of alcohol in his entire life. And I do mean; never. had. a. drop. The prude was strong, guys. The prude was so incredibly strong!

Discuss.

blackmage_nuke
07-02-2016, 10:13 AM
Butterscotch Scnappes and Sprite but I'm biased because I miss it so much.

Pheesh
07-02-2016, 10:31 AM
What's your favourite non-alcoholic drink?

Galuf
07-02-2016, 10:32 AM
cider. dont drink 4 cans fast though :barf:

if not then... fruity cider lik kopparberg. idk what you murricans drink.

also dont take 13 whiskey shots everytime you kill with a certain gun in destiny...

oooor youmight be strong and 4 ciders are nothing

Night Fury
07-02-2016, 11:10 AM
I started off on vodka mixers and they're pretty much okay because they're soda-y and sweet and you can't taste the alcohol and you still get a bit of a buzz on.

Also they come in bright colours!

Mirage
07-02-2016, 02:07 PM
Cider is a good first-timer drink to get you accustomed to the taste of alcohol. You could also go for mixed drinks like vodka+redbull or rum+coke. Just don't mix them too strong. I really like rum and coke.

If you want to try a beer right away, you might want to try something like a german-style wheat beer. They've often got a light texture and sweet flavor. This was the type of beer that really changed my opinion of beers in general. I hated beer until I tried one of those.

Ayen
07-02-2016, 07:22 PM
Ooh. I didn't think about the possibility that alcoholic drinks can taste similar to non-alcoholic ones. Okay.

What's your favourite non-alcoholic drink?

Water. Before that I enjoyed Coke, Pepsi, Pepsi One, Dr. Pepper, 7 Up, Mountain Dew, Sprite, Lemonade, Sunny Delight, Koolaid, Orange Soda, Grape Soda, Strawberry Soda, and Lime Soda, but my taste buds are so used to water now the latter would probably be eck. Last time I tried Dr. Pepper I had to wash it down with half a bottle of water.

Pheesh
07-03-2016, 01:50 AM
If the actual taste of sodas/juices is displeasurable to you then you're not going to have a very good time with alcohol. Basically, just get a regular drink you think you'll enjoy and add a half shot of vodka to it. It mixes with pretty much everything and you won't taste the vodka. Work your way up to a full shot and then start trying things like whisky and coke, which taste more alcoholic but are still very drinkable.

Slothy
07-03-2016, 03:20 AM
Whisky and root beer being the ideal mix of whisky and anything else ever.

starlet
07-03-2016, 04:48 AM
Vanilla or whipped vodka or regular vodka and cranberry are good choices. Vanilla vodka and root beer is a root beer float!

Ayen
07-03-2016, 07:49 AM
I've always been interested in vodka, so I'll keep it in mine.

btw, guys, do you know if white wine ages the same as red wine? My brother has a bottle of it in the fridge he's been saving for 6 - 7 years, and he isn't sure if it's spoiled, or not.

Shauna
07-03-2016, 10:23 AM
Try it and find out.

Crop
07-03-2016, 02:18 PM
Go to the shop, grab an ice cold 4 pack of beer, go home, stick on a film, crack open a bottle, enjoy.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
07-04-2016, 02:22 AM
Get a pint of fireball and chug it as fast as you can. You will be fine.

fire_of_avalon
07-04-2016, 03:25 AM
Are you still completely off soda? If so, you'll probably want to avoid most mixed drinks. They tend to involve something soda-y or really sugary. Do you prefer sweet/fruity or crisp/tart/refreshing?

Ayen
07-04-2016, 03:40 AM
Are you still completely off soda? If so, you'll probably want to avoid most mixed drinks. They tend to involve something soda-y or really sugary. Do you prefer sweet/fruity or crisp/tart/refreshing?

Yeah, I still mostly just stick to water. As for your last question, uh... I have no idea.

qwertysaur
07-04-2016, 06:20 AM
Just smell the wine first. If it smells like vinegar, then toss it.

To clarify foa's question, would you prefer something like fruit punch or an apple?

Ayen
07-04-2016, 06:21 AM
Fruit punch.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
07-05-2016, 08:55 PM
Considering the Drunk Thread, I'm assuming you made your move.

Now the world is curious. What has Ayen consumed?

Iceglow
07-05-2016, 09:12 PM
I would probably have suggested something pretty neutral considering your penchant for water and not a lot of Soda.

Gin and Cranberry is good (can bury a double at the least in cranberry juice and won't taste it, stick to something like Gordon's or Bombay Sapphire for ease of obtaining and drinking).

Some stout can very much carry a coffee flavour, they're certainly not sweet or too gassy (Guinness doesn't taste that much like Coffee but if you can get it in America, a bit of Youngs "London Stout" is good and very strong coffee flavour).

light beer, add in a wedge of lime if it's something like Corona. If you don't have lime, use any citrus but for the love of god, put something in it.

Loony BoB
07-06-2016, 12:30 PM
I'm curious as to why you don't drink soda. If it's anything to do with weight gain, I doubt any alcoholic beverage is going to be much better.

Try things until you find something that works for you. Drink responsibly.

Personally, I dislike the taste of alcohol in general, because I always get that distinct taste from the alcohol itself. Southern Comfort & Lemonade (That's Sprite for you lot in the USA) is the only non-extortionately-priced drink (ie certain cocktails) that I actually enjoy, because I can't taste that booziness in it. I'd suggest giving that a shot if you don't like the taste inherent in most alcoholic drinks.

Mirage
07-06-2016, 09:29 PM
Generally you don't drink alcoholic beverages nearly as often as you'd drink sodas, so it's usually fine to drink alcohol every now and then

escobert
07-07-2016, 04:24 PM
Woodchuck is a really good brand.

The only good brand :p I'm on board with the Cider. It's all I drink. Woodchuck may be hard to find outside of the North East though since it's a small company here in VT. I couldn't even find any while we were at my moms camp in southern NH.

Loony BoB
07-08-2016, 01:30 PM
Generally you don't drink alcoholic beverages nearly as often as you'd drink sodas, so it's usually fine to drink alcohol every now and then
That goes back to the point of why anyone would exclude an alcoholic beverage because it has soda as a mixer. Just seems like a silly reason to exclude the drinks most likely to be appreciated by a first time drinker.

fire_of_avalon
07-09-2016, 04:09 AM
I'm going to tell you that I would try beer before hard liquors. I wish I had done this because unspent a lot of money on a lot of bullshit in my youth.

That being said, try Sierra Nevada's Kellerweis. It's a wheat beer and it's not fruit punchy, but it's kind of banana y

Slothy
07-10-2016, 02:31 AM
That goes back to the point of why anyone would exclude an alcoholic beverage because it has soda as a mixer. Just seems like a silly reason to exclude the drinks most likely to be appreciated by a first time drinker.

I think he's said, either somewhere else in the forums or told me outside of them or something, that he finds pop to be too sugary now since he's been off of it for some period of time. Maybe I'm remembering that wrong though. Who knows. He could have even explained it in this thread but damned if I'm going back to reread the whole thing. That'd require effort.

SammieBabe
07-11-2016, 07:19 PM
Woodchuck is a really good brand.

The only good brand :p I'm on board with the Cider. It's all I drink. Woodchuck may be hard to find outside of the North East though since it's a small company here in VT. I couldn't even find any while we were at my moms camp in southern NH.

Nope, they sell it all over the country, I believe. At the very least, I know for a fact that they sell it in Kansas City!

It's all over the place in Florida too. :)

Colonel Angus
07-12-2016, 12:33 AM
Long Island Iced Tea

Laddy
07-12-2016, 10:56 AM
I'm going to let the fact I'm a youngin' show and recommend Redd's or Mike's.

Redd's has a nice cider taste but isn't very strong and is sweet without overpowering you. I like all varieties bit id recommend Red Apple or Strawberry to start.

Mike's is straight up lemonade and tastes exactly like you'd think. If you enjoy sweet things that's not a bad choice.

And if you basically want to drink liquid candy, Smirnoff Ice Green Apple. If I'm looking to party with inexperienced drinkers I'll bring it though it's often frowned upon. I like it okay but I also treat myself to a bag of candy a day.

fat_moogle
07-13-2016, 12:59 PM
Absinthe, absinthe, absinthe!

Mirage
07-13-2016, 01:54 PM
i love that stuff but i wouldn't exactly recommend it for a first time drinker.

fat_moogle
07-13-2016, 02:15 PM
i love that stuff but i wouldn't exactly recommend it for a first time drinker.
Which is why I recommended it :p

Bubba
07-13-2016, 02:37 PM
Haha, ignore pudgy bird. He's clearly joking! Absinthe will blow your head off!

Hell, I would regard myself as a seasoned drinker and I generally steer clear of it :erm:

fat_moogle
07-13-2016, 03:04 PM
Haha, ignore pudgy bird. He's clearly joking! Absinthe will blow your head off!

Hell, I would regard myself as a seasoned drinker and I generally steer clear of it :erm:
Yes, I'm definitely joking! I've tried absinthe once, and once only. It was a few years back at a friends house, I had one shot of it and was like "oh I'm fine!". So I had a second. BAD IDEA, I could barely stand.

Galuf
07-13-2016, 03:08 PM
i want this... absinthe. makes me think of lemonnade

Shauna
07-13-2016, 03:14 PM
My friend chose to have absinthe as her drink during a drinking game one Hogmanay.

Needless to say, she was out by 10pm.

fat_moogle
07-13-2016, 03:32 PM
My friend chose to have absinthe as her drink during a drinking game one Hogmanay.

Needless to say, she was out by 10pm.
Did the game start 9:45pm? :p

Mirage
07-13-2016, 03:34 PM
Lightweights :colbert:

Alternatively, you don't need to drink the whole bottle. When I buy absinthe, I usually make the bottle last half a year.

Aerith's Knight
07-13-2016, 08:04 PM
Go hard or go home.

(Wait, that doesn't sound right.)

Go hard, then go home.

(Better.)

Formalhaut
07-13-2016, 08:45 PM

Definitely not the same thing.

Galuf
07-13-2016, 08:54 PM

i was told not to drink it like lemonade.

i now want to see what its like....... so i can drink it like lemonade

Aerith's Knight
07-14-2016, 07:36 AM

i was told not to drink it like lemonade.

i now want to see what its like....... so i can drink it like lemonade

Highest amount of alcohol I've ever had, so I don't recommend it. Fairly sure it could kill you.

And unless you weigh at least 200 pounds, that will kill you.

Galuf
07-14-2016, 09:38 AM
something tells me that it tastes alchoholy. like vodka.

tubby_osprey said it tasted like something, but it was another thing i never heard of.

Mirage
07-14-2016, 06:21 PM
Absinthe tastes of anise, a herb that tastes a lot like licorice. It's a pretty thick, and light green liquid. It tastes more like certain types of cough syrup than lemonade. Proper absinthe can have 80% or higher ABV, but you're supposed to mix it with water and add some sugar as you drink it.

The absinthe I can get around here is only 55% so I drop the water when I drink it.

Galuf
07-14-2016, 07:07 PM
Absinthe tastes of anise, a herb that tastes a lot like licorice. It's a pretty thick, and light green liquid. It tastes more like certain types of cough syrup than lemonade. Proper absinthe can have 80% or higher ABV, but you're supposed to mix it with water and add some sugar as you drink it.

The absinthe I can get around here is only 55% so I drop the water when I drink it.

mmm.. sounds TASTIER than lemonade