PDA

View Full Version : Celes vs. Terra Showdown

Pike
07-11-2016, 05:01 PM
Which of these two heroines from FFVI is your personal favorite?

theundeadhero
07-11-2016, 06:09 PM
I likes "seals".

Galuf
07-11-2016, 09:17 PM
i prefer terra as a person. but im gonna have to say celes for bringing me through the game my first time. well i had terra too but celes was better

Lyndis Highwind
07-12-2016, 02:24 AM
I like Terra just a little bit better. They both had their good moments, but I feel I'm able to connect with Terra better.

Laddy
07-12-2016, 10:18 AM
Terra's writing is kinda "wow I am so sad" at times but I find her and her storyline compelling. She has a lovely design too!

Also first (and best) female protagonist.

Shiva95
07-13-2016, 12:40 PM
It's very hard to choose because they're both in my favorite female characters, but I have to go with Celes. I really love her story and her personality.

Colonel Angus
07-13-2016, 05:42 PM

maybee
07-13-2016, 11:14 PM
I like Terra just a little bit better. They both had their good moments, but I feel I'm able to connect with Terra better.

Everything about this. Celes is still a amazing character though.

Peter1986
08-21-2016, 02:49 PM
Terra's writing is kinda "wow I am so sad" at times but I find her and her storyline compelling. She has a lovely design too!

The question whether Terra is a protagonist or not is highly controversial, lol.
According to SquareSoft, FF6 is supposed to have an ensemble cast, with no particular leading protagonist.

However, I think it is pretty hard to deny the fact that Terra does have a highly central role throughout most of WoB - she is this special person with special powers who everyone relies on, and she even shows up in the ending scene even if you don't recruit her in WoR.
So she at least comes very close to being a protagonist.

But then again, a lot of FF games have some sort of ensemble cast;
for example, in FF Tactics you could say that Delita is at least as much of a main character as Ramza, and in FF10 there seems to be a lot of focus on Yuna.

FFNut
08-21-2016, 04:52 PM
They are basically the exact same, but Morph is more useful then Runic so I went with Terra. However Relm is the powerhouse of the game.

Fynn
08-21-2016, 05:10 PM

The question whether Terra is a protagonist or not is highly controversial, lol.
According to SquareSoft, FF6 is supposed to have an ensemble cast, with no particular leading protagonist.

However, I think it is pretty hard to deny the fact that Terra does have a highly central role throughout most of WoB - she is this special person with special powers who everyone relies on, and she even shows up in the ending scene even if you don't recruit her in WoR.
So she at least comes very close to being a protagonist.

But then again, a lot of FF games have some sort of ensemble cast;
for example, in FF Tactics you could say that Delita is at least as much of a main character as Ramza, and in FF10 there seems to be a lot of focus on Yuna.

In FFT Delita is definitely the deuteragonist with Ramza as the clear protagonist (with Ovelia being a debatable tritagonist, I guess?), if you want to get technical. It's harder to determine a protagonist, deuteragonist, or tritagonist in FFVI due to the sheer amount of characters that are all relevant to the plot. I'd say they actually succeeded in making a truly ensemble cast.

Wolf Kanno
08-22-2016, 07:10 PM
Terra has the better story and character arc. While I still enjoy Celes immensely and she is certainly attached to my favorite moment in the game, reading background notes about how her story was meant to be made me feel she was poorly utilized and only got upgraded to major character status due to Kitase taking a liking to her. Mechanically, they are the same, though Morph/Trance is a much more useful move than Runic, that's largely made moot by game mechanics anyways, so they are still roughly the same.

ChainMachine
04-13-2017, 07:44 PM
I prefer Terra. Celes is great and all, she really gets some great moments in the WOR. Terra is just an amazing character though, I gotta pick her.

Sabin-101
04-14-2017, 01:06 AM
I pick Terra I think she is a strong fighter. I like how she is not so sure about herself at first. Since she plays such an important part of the game I choose her.

Sephiroth
04-14-2017, 01:41 AM

However, I think it is pretty hard to deny the fact that Terra does have a highly central role throughout most of .

Terra is the Aang of Final Fantasy. Both storylines kind of are so much focused on keeping the other characters extremely high up when it comes to relevance that they could easily also have some main character potential (and I would say Katara, Sokka and Toph are way more relevant as characters and not just mere sidekicks while even characters like Locke and Celes could be said to have only smaller story arcs) but if we really want to classify some then we end up more leaning towards Terra and Aang.
To answer the original question: Terra.

Edge7
07-17-2017, 12:02 AM
This was INCREDIBLY hard for me, as I like Terra's character arc more, but I felt like Celes had more personality. Unlike Terra who's still trying to find herself, Celes knows exactly who she is and takes pride in her military career, even if she's grown to hate the nation she served.

I think the scene that really won me over was when she swindled Setzer with Edgar's coin. It gave me the impression that:
A: She's great at reading people by appealing to Setzer's love of gambling (and cheating).
B: She's interested enough in the lives of her comrades that she even knew about Edgar's coin, even if the player doesn't.

Terra always felt like her character existed in a vacuum to me, besides Locke and a couple interactions with Edgar and Celes, she didn't have a lot of interplay with the rest of the cast. In the end though, they're both great, and I love both of them.

Shaymin
08-13-2017, 08:15 AM
Terra...but only barely. If you cut Celes from the game you'd do irreperable harm to it.

FF6 is a weird story. The end of the world basically hijacks the whole plot.

Bubba
08-13-2017, 11:19 PM
Completed the game for the first time very recently and thought the way it handled so many playable characters was superb. Celes and Terra are very different but I feel just as important to the story. A very tough call... hence I didn't make it.

Galuf
08-13-2017, 11:24 PM
Completed the game for the first time very recently and thought the way it handled so many playable characters was superb. Celes and Terra are very different but I feel just as important to the story. A very tough call... hence I didn't make it.

Oh. So you saw the part where celes gained super saiyan mode and caused the world of ruin not to happen? Probably not seeing as you need to solo atma weapon with Celes and not use any actions. Requires absurd hp though but its an epic scene
it also brings leo back from the dead too

Krizzy
12-02-2017, 12:15 PM
Celes is my favorite female character in the entire series because:
Firstly, she's strong both physically and mentally.
Secondly, she'll do anything necessary even if she doesn't want to (like sing at an opera) how courageous of her!
Lastly, she's clever, I love how she tricked Setzer into taking them to Vector by his airship.
She's the driving force in reuniting the returners in WoR, so her role is really vital, especially in getting the 2 airships in the game.

Personally, there's nothing special about Terra as a character, she's like any other female protagonist in FF. She's likable though.