PDA

View Full Version : Do you like bananas?

Pike
07-23-2016, 05:01 PM
I love 'em, but I know some people who aren't fans. What about you?

theundeadhero
07-23-2016, 05:20 PM
They're okay, but banana cream pie is the best!

Lyndis Highwind
07-23-2016, 05:21 PM
I used to hate them when I was little, but they've grown on me since I got older.

Vermachtnis
07-23-2016, 05:40 PM
I can not eat bananas. I've tried multiple times, but just eargh.

Karifean
07-23-2016, 06:48 PM
They are the best.

Bubba
07-23-2016, 07:10 PM
I love bananas. Full of potassium and great for energy. I understand why the texture can put some people off though. I normally have one blended with a protein shake after a workout.

Spuuky
07-25-2016, 01:53 AM
They're good if they're green enough.

Bri
07-25-2016, 02:47 AM
I love bananas!

Pumpkin
07-25-2016, 03:46 AM
LOVE

Bubba
07-25-2016, 09:21 AM

No! They barely taste of anything then. They're actually nicer when the skin has started to go brown. Much stronger banana taste :D

Pheesh
07-25-2016, 10:28 AM
A little bit too sweet for me honestly. They're not a fruit I will often buy but if they're in the house I might have one.

Psychotic
07-25-2016, 12:25 PM

No! They barely taste of anything then. They're actually nicer when the skin has started to go brown. Much stronger banana taste :DSorry Bubba, Spuuky has the right of it. When they're really bloody green it isn't great, but I prefer that to when the brown spots start to appear. Blech. A tinge of green is the sweet spot.

Bubba
07-25-2016, 12:47 PM
You are all talking crazy talk.

Here is a photograph of how bananas should look when they are ripe. This is when they are at their tastiest.

If the banana is all yellow it is not ripe. If it still has green bits it is definitely not ripe.

Unripe bananas are more acidic and harder to digest. You are missing out on the nutritional benefits too. Sort it out, losers.

Midgar Mist
07-25-2016, 05:45 PM
This question alone could cure my insomnia.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
07-26-2016, 12:02 AM
Yes. I love bananas. I have one every morning for breakfast in the form of a peanut butter banana shake. Delicious.

Loony BoB
07-26-2016, 02:10 PM
I buy a couple of bananas per week, usually. They're a decent snack and they don't leak like a lot of other juicier fruit do.

They're okay. What I really dislike is "banana flavoured" things.

07-26-2016, 11:58 PM
They're okay. What I really dislike is "banana flavoured" things.

Thats because banana flavored things are flavored after the Gros Michel banana. The Gros Michel banana has since gone nearly extinct. The Cavendish banana we know and love today has been modified over the last 50-70 years to withstand the plant disease known as the Panama disease.

Bubba
07-27-2016, 01:39 PM
Cavendish bananas are under threat too. There's a new strain of the 'Panama Disease' which has already wiped out tens of thousands of hectares of bananas. We don't have any alternative types either.

I couldn't imagine a world with no bananas.

Spuuky
07-28-2016, 12:57 AM

Here is a photograph of how bananas should look when they are ripe. This is when they are at their tastiest.

If the banana is all yellow it is not ripe. If it still has green bits it is definitely not ripe.

Unripe bananas are more acidic and harder to digest. You are missing out on the nutritional benefits too. Sort it out, losers.They are no longer edible at the stage pictured.

07-28-2016, 02:29 AM
Cavendish bananas are under threat too. There's a new strain of the 'Panama Disease' which has already wiped out tens of thousands of hectares of bananas. We don't have any alternative types either.

This is my biggest argument in favor of GMOs

Big D
07-28-2016, 09:25 AM
I can't stand fresh banana on its own. But add it to a cake, pie, milkshake or some other form, and I'm all in favour. Banana loaf especially.

Pumpkin
07-29-2016, 06:05 AM
Banana milkshakes are heavenly

sharkythesharkdogg
07-29-2016, 05:23 PM

This is my biggest argument in favor of GMOs

Gros Michels aren't completely extinct. They still grow them in areas of Asia and Africa, I think.

Also,

The Honduras Foundation for Agricultural Research set out to breed Panama Disease resistant 'Gros Michel' bananas, and after initial problems due to poor agronomic characteristics of the plants from which the pollen was taken (male parent), they developed an improved diploid (SH-3142) which served as the male parent for the development of various hybrids (FHIA-01, FHIA-18, FHIA-21 and FHIA-250). The hybrids released so far have good bunch and agronomic characteristics, are resistant or tolerant to Fusarium wilt and are being grown in a wide range of agro-ecological conditions in Africa, Latin America and Australia.[7]

Here's hoping the GMO'd GMB's work out.

Formalhaut
07-29-2016, 05:45 PM
Bananas are okay! The texture is slightly odd for me, but they're otherwise pretty tasty. If I had a milkshake blender, I'd absolutely blend them though because banana milkshakes are tasty!

07-29-2016, 08:13 PM
Gros Michels aren't completely extinct. They still grow them in areas of Asia and Africa, I think.

Quite correct.

The Summoner of Leviathan
07-30-2016, 06:30 AM
Green and slightly bananas have the texture of chalk and barely any taste.

If you want to cook or anything with the banana it should be beginning to spot, be soft, and strong in flavour.

Everyone else is heathen.

Peter1986
08-01-2016, 05:34 AM
Yeah, except I used to hate trying to peel them.

Nowadays I just snap them in half by breaking them in the middle, lol.

Fynn
08-01-2016, 06:57 AM

Unripe bananas are more acidic and harder to digest. You are missing out on the nutritional benefits too. Sort it out, losers.

Agreed. I love bananas, but if they're not this ripe, I will suffer for the rest of the day, something about them makes my stomach just "nope" fiercely, same with pineapples. Everything's fine when they're like this, though!

Loony BoB
08-02-2016, 04:29 PM
http://www.mysoti.com/img/user/danmanc/product/web/697206/697206_show_default.png

Night Fury
08-03-2016, 02:05 AM

errrrrr na. When they're like that they're too soft and mulchy and it makes me cringe to have to chew them at that stage and the softness makes me gag.

Good in banana bread though!