PDA

View Full Version : The World Ends With You (aka I can finally post in this forum)

Midgar Mist
07-12-2016, 01:12 PM
Without it getting moved :shifty:

The source who recommended this game shall remain nameless but...they know who they are and thanks.

Its my foray into action RPGs of a later date than my normal stuff. Thanks to you guys I was suddenly reminded I had a Nintendo DS sitting there doing nothing. So I can play some games closer to the current gaming generation....close but no cigar.....but still close.

Its looking promising is this game, I can read peoples minds. Since I sometimes wish i could do that in real life, its a nice treat to find it in an SE game.

Discuss yes but....no major spoilers if you will.

Well....the dude in it is is a delightful misanthrope and.....well the female....hmmmm? Better not say.....

Its been drawn to my attention that a lot of you are stroking guns, so I will keep quiet and open up the floor

Fynn
07-12-2016, 01:40 PM
It's certainly one of the most unique RPGs out there! The story is also pretty damn brilliant, so I hope you stick around to the end!

Del Murder
07-12-2016, 06:55 PM
One of the best games on DS. I wish they made another!

Formalhaut
07-12-2016, 06:58 PM
One of the best games on DS. I wish they made another!

Pretty much this. I would definitely be excited if they announced one.

Aulayna
07-12-2016, 09:02 PM
It's criminal this game hasn't had a sequel yet. It's one of my favourite DS games, personally I really related to Shiki's story a lot.

Also the soundtrack is bangin'

CaGyulP5GCc

*bop bop bop*

Midgar Mist
07-12-2016, 09:07 PM
68652......I knew it

Formalhaut
07-13-2016, 01:00 AM
I agree with Aulayna, the music in TWEWY is infectious own-brand J-Pop. I love it. Completely baffled it hasn't received a sequel. The game got great reviews and I'm pretty sure it sold well. What gives?

Fynn
07-13-2016, 05:43 AM
It was a perfectly self-contained story that was a product of its time that involved a bunch of people who are now preoccupied with other, much larger projects?

Seriously, I don't think I want a half-assed sequel to such an original game. This was obviously a passion project for Nomura - I want him to do a TWEWY sequel when he's as inspired as for the original.

Formalhaut
07-13-2016, 08:38 AM
I don't think anyone is calling for a half-assed sequel, Fynn.

Fynn
07-13-2016, 09:01 AM
I don't think anyone is calling for a half-assed sequel, Fynn.

I'm not saying anyone is. I just think it's a good game that's very well contained in one entry. It doesn't need a sequel, and if there ever is one, I want it to be born from creative passion and innovative ideas, much like the first one, rather than from fan demand.

Formalhaut
07-13-2016, 11:46 AM
I can't disagree. I wouldn't want them to rush anything.

Wolf Kanno
07-13-2016, 11:05 PM
It's more of a cult classic nowadays. I don't think it did amazing when it was first released so SE hasn't been interested in doing a new one but I know Nomura has wanted to do another game for a few years. It was just an interesting experiment for a game. Nearly failed the semester I picked it up because I spent most of my time playing it.

Pumpkin
07-13-2016, 11:20 PM
I've heard a lot about it but I don't know if it's my type of thing. I heard the gameplay can be rather complex and I'm bad at life games so I wonder

Wolf Kanno
07-13-2016, 11:38 PM
The controls vary, basically all of the Pins you use function differently and work through the various features of the DS. The fire Pin lets you create flames by drawing on the Stylus screen, the Quake pin involves shaking you DS as you play and one pin even involves shouting at the screen.

The complicated part is the secondary character on the top screen, they almost use the d-pad exclusively for their attacks and they basically have three to four scripted combos to use. The hard part here is trying to do both at once but a lot of that can be solved by setting up Neku to a playstyle that works for you.

The other thing I should mention is that the game does allow you to change the difficulty setting whenever you feel like it, the only thing it really affects detrimentally is the item drop rate, but if you're not playing for completionism, then there isn't an issue.

Formalhaut
07-14-2016, 03:00 AM
Yeah, and the second character can be played on Auto-Play while you get used controlling Neku. You can even make it so that Auto-Play turns on after a delay.

Was TWEWY well advertised? I'm not even sure how I heard of the game, but I don't remember seeing trailers or materials for it. I think a sequel would be more popular now than when TWEWY was first released.

Wolf Kanno
07-14-2016, 03:45 AM
As good as any Squenix game back then that didn't have Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts in the title, which is to say not a whole lot in terms of advertising. I think I only heard about it because it was the early days of the DS and it needed some non-Nintendo games to sell it one people.

Formalhaut
07-14-2016, 03:59 AM
I do think it would perform better, now that the market is better aware of non-FF or non-KH games; like Bravely Default for example. Heck, the rise in popularity of the Persona games wouldn't hurt TWEWY, given the slight similarities they share between them.

That and it probably made many video game reviewer's 'most wanted list' at some point down the line

Midgar Mist
07-14-2016, 09:15 PM
The controls vary, basically all of the Pins you use function differently and work through the various features of the DS. The fire Pin lets you create flames by drawing on the Stylus screen, the Quake pin involves shaking you DS as you play and one pin even involves shouting at the screen.

The complicated part is the secondary character on the top screen, they almost use the d-pad exclusively for their attacks and they basically have three to four scripted combos to use. The hard part here is trying to do both at once but a lot of that can be solved by setting up Neku to a playstyle that works for you.

The other thing I should mention is that the game does allow you to change the difficulty setting whenever you feel like it, the only thing it really affects detrimentally is the item drop rate, but if you're not playing for completionism, then there isn't an issue.

Theres...autoplay on the second character and so far, I've found using the d-pad easier than using the stylus. I'm such a console gaming veteran, I guess thats why

But....changeable difficulty? Time to gloat to the brother and sister team who got me into SE games :smug:

Del Murder
07-16-2016, 04:56 AM
I'm not saying anyone is. I just think it's a good game that's very well contained in one entry. It doesn't need a sequel, and if there ever is one, I want it to be born from creative passion and innovative ideas, much like the first one, rather than from fan demand.
I like what I played and just want more. A half-assed TWEWY 2 would be better than some of the full-assed products SE has been working on.

Fynn
07-16-2016, 05:39 AM
Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree ;) For me personally, TWEWY was good enough that I just don't need a sequel. If they do one, it better be damn near perfect.

Midgar Mist
07-16-2016, 10:21 AM
Okay......now I'm stuck :chocobo:

I managed to work out i had to clean the statue then.....

I get two difficult bosses in a role?

What did I ever do to Squenix? :G

So......I'm yet to work out how to change the difficulties, is there an easy setting? MM likes to take the sissypants way out

UPDATE: I shall have another attempt at this, because y'know..........boredom. Its times like this i remember that Kanno is seven hours behind me. Time to be a

So just after I whooped some ass, I found I had the option to change it to Easy so :-)

My opinion on this game is so far, a little mixed. Some things are a little tricky and.....I'm not always in sync with the japanese mindset. I will face the firing squad for saying I don't like most of the music but.....there you have it.

I like how you can gain PP on the Pins when the DS is inactive. Its a subject for a different thread I think but, I do think the DS is the best thing Nintendo ever released, GameCube was pretty damn good too.

Anyway.....I'm at the beginning of Day 4.